Looking for a game to get my feet wet.

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 29, 2017 10:09 pm
I have pretty limited experience with rpg's but I love the format and try to immerse myself as much as possible. I would like to play something in the classic Dungeons and Dragons type setting, but I'm open to just about anything. I'm having some trouble finding an active game that seems to have spots open. Is there anywhere to add someone new?
Oct 29, 2017 10:28 pm
I can always propose some Dungeonslayers. It's a free game available on the web (legally, I mean) which is in the vein of old school roleplaying games. It's pretty easy to learn and is rule light.

I've tried starting a game twice on here and failed, but who knows, maybe third time will be a charm...
Oct 29, 2017 10:41 pm
kalajel says:
I can always propose some Dungeonslayers. It's a free game available on the web (legally, I mean) which is in the vein of old school roleplaying games. It's pretty easy to learn and is rule light.

I've tried starting a game twice on here and failed, but who knows, maybe third time will be a charm...
I'll jump in with you for sure, a two person campaign might not work though
Oct 29, 2017 11:21 pm
Well, in an emergency, if we have too few people interested, each players could play two characters each. That, and/or I could have a DMPC (more than likely the team,s healer as this role can get a bit tedious for a player...).

The rules are simple enough that playing two characters at once is definitely not a difficult thing to do.
Oct 30, 2017 12:25 am
I'm down, and we can see if anyone else wants to join in
Oct 30, 2017 1:45 am
I wouldn't mind dusting ole' Grapthor off, though it looks like I'll have to rebuild the character sheet. :-)
Oct 30, 2017 3:46 am
So are we looking to get something going here?
Oct 30, 2017 11:01 am
This might be just what I've been looking for. Count me in Kalajel!
Oct 30, 2017 12:22 pm
Hey new old school dungeon games sounds great.. count me in :)
Oct 30, 2017 4:26 pm
Okay, seems we have something here then.

Here is the download link for DS4.

As for houserules, I think I'll keep them to a minimum (it's probably what killed my 2 previous attempts), but I'll still use some highly suggested ones, such as allowing Mage characters to begin the game with 2 level 1 spells in order to be able to experiment with the spellchanging mechanics right away at level 1 and so that it's not too boring being stuck casting only that 1 spell for the whole first dungeon...

I'll also lower Hero classes availability at 8 level, since apparently, with the current level of availability, it made it difficult to make the character build you wanted to have.

Oh, and of course, the paladin, instead of gaining availability of the healer's spells at teh spell level +9 will instead gain a number of spell slots equal to his level -9. This doesn't sound like much of a change, but trust me, it makes thinks easier when it comes time to purchase your spells...

And hey, if you guys insist on having more races, talents, and spells, I can always include them as need be.

So I think I'll go ahead and start that game then...
Last edited October 30, 2017 4:27 pm
Oct 30, 2017 4:34 pm
Will look at it tonight :) and will be looking for the invite then :)
Oct 30, 2017 4:42 pm
GaztheDm says:
Might take a bit more time. I seem to have encountered a bug and the site won't let me start the game right now. Posted on the site thread to tell Keleth about that little bug...
Oct 30, 2017 4:45 pm
kalajel says:
GaztheDm says:
Might take a bit more time. I seem to have encountered a bug and the site won't let me start the game right now. Posted on the site thread to tell Keleth about that little bug...
Make sure that you click the + button next to the Allowed Character Sheets dropdown before you try to create the game. You have to select it and then hit the +. Not sure if that's the issue or not, but I've seen people have issues with that.
Oct 30, 2017 5:06 pm
Got my invite. Anyone thinking about particular classes?
Oct 30, 2017 5:10 pm
Dwarven Fighter for me. Reviving an old character from an earlier game. :-)
Oct 30, 2017 8:04 pm
Knifesedgegames says:
Got my invite. Anyone thinking about particular classes?
You have 3 basic classes, with the Mage beign broken down into 3 sub-classes. So you have:

• Fighter (pretty self-explanatory)
• Scout (the range attacker of the group).
• Mage:
- Healer (pretty self explanatory, the only Mage class capable of wearing armor, limited to leather).
- Wizard (protective, offensive and utility spells).
- Sorcerer (almost exclusively offensive).

Then later there is the possibility to pick up an Hero Class which further "specializes" your character.
Oct 30, 2017 8:06 pm
I wanted to do a dwarven barbarian kind of thing let me look at what's available though.
Oct 30, 2017 8:08 pm
Sorry meant dwarf fighter
Oct 30, 2017 8:09 pm
Well, nothing says we can't have two dwarven fighters. The Berserker is a Hero Class though.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.