Hello and Welcome to Me!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 23, 2018 12:40 am
Hello, Everyone!

I'm happy and excited to be here! Was referred to this wonderful place by another member (props to Cruvis) and I'm looking forward to a great time.

The gaming bug bit me when at age 14, my mother bought me a D&D Basic box set to keep me "busy"; little did she know! Now, 30 years later, I'm still at it. I look forward to hopefully gaming with many of you and stumbling into some great, rich, exciting games in this new realm.

Regards,

Demagor
Jan 23, 2018 12:47 am
Welcome Demagor! Play-by-Post can definitely be great at getting at really rich games. Hope you find a great one! Are you looking to stick with DnD, or other systems catch your fancy?

And thanks Cruvis for the reference!
Jan 23, 2018 12:48 am
Welcome Demagor!
Jan 23, 2018 12:53 am
I’m such a proud parent! *holds up four bundles of joy: annex, Arcmagik, Doloriel, and Demagor*

Look! Quads!!

(Seriously where’s my commission?)
Last edited January 23, 2018 1:43 am
Jan 23, 2018 1:25 am
Cruvis says:
(Seriously where’s my commission?)
Eeeeeer... feel free to make all the characters you want!
Jan 23, 2018 1:33 am
Hello and welcome. I tried to have my friend join here, but so far, no luck. There seem to be a bit of a stigma against pbp going on among my friends...
Jan 23, 2018 1:44 am
kalajel says:
Hello and welcome. I tried to have my friend join here, but so far, no luck. There seem to be a bit of a stigma against pbp going on among my friends...
No worries. I'm just getting started... There's still a whole other party for me to draw/bribe/entice/finagle over here.
Jan 23, 2018 2:40 am
Welcome to the site!
Jan 23, 2018 9:04 am
Welcome, Demagor!
Jan 23, 2018 5:31 pm
Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the warm welcome!

@kalajel: I think that the issue isn't with you or your friends, but more along the lines of today's society. Much as I shared with Cruvis before I came here, I think that these days people are "too busy" to stop and play a game that doesn't require a phone or a massive graphics card, or no one wants to create, imagine or build something themselves, they're all counting on apps, programs and software to do it for them. We're headed down the path of Wall-E society and I firmly believe that pen-and-paper and PBP is our salvation.

@Keleth: I've been a hard-core D&D addict for the majority of my life and while I do feel more comfortable with it, I don't shut myself out to other systems. In the D&D area I've played Basic, AD&D 2E, 3.0 and 3.5. The Cruvis game I'm playing is my first test into 5E. I've played Star Frontiers (dating myself), D20: Modern, the original 1st Ed of Marvel Super Heroes RPG and a homebrew version of Twilight: 2000. On my former PBP site of preference, I have played the intermittent, occasional game using M&M rules, one with Aberrant, one with The Window, and I think a handful using Pathfinder. but neither of those really clicked. I have a couple of issues in the noggin' that make focusing on learning new rules difficult, which is why I don't typically stray from what I already know, but if it's simple and flows well, I'd be open to giving it a try.

-Dem
Jan 23, 2018 6:24 pm
Nah, I think my friends are just looking for a reason to complain. They're gamers and they like to do the usual gamers' complaint that they're too busy to play, they don't have time to make a game, they can't find people to play with in their area, etc. And when I offer them a solution, they complain that pbp is slow, clunky, sucks, a "step backward", etc.
Jan 23, 2018 6:35 pm
That's a lot of complaining. If only they could use their powers for Good...

...and in all fairness, I live in a small, rural community in the Southern California mountains; finding someone who plays tabletop games is an exercise in frustration. No offense to the site, but would I rather play tabletop than PBP? Of course. However, I'm grateful for the PBP, and I'm glad that the PBP saves me and prevents me from completely missing out on the joys of gaming. If I am without access to a tabletop crew, I'd rather play PBP and enjoy it, than whine about not having a tabletop crew.

It's like being afloat in the ocean and declining the offer of a life vest because it isn't a Coast Guard cutter.
Last edited January 23, 2018 6:39 pm
Jan 23, 2018 6:52 pm
Yeah, I know, ridiculous, but apparently some people just need something to complain about...
Jan 23, 2018 8:37 pm
I too have been recommending PbP to my friends. One joined the site but real life intervened and he never made it back. The others just... I don’t know. I suppose to them "getting together with friends and having some snacks and a game" is fun and they find it hard to imagine the game being fun in another context.

Also, welcome Demagor!
Jan 23, 2018 8:46 pm
I do remember that feeling- those marathon games where you'd order pizza for dinner, game all night long, then when you realized it was morning, you paused, went to Denny's scarfed down a massive breakfast, then returned and kept playing.

Good times, good times.
Jan 23, 2018 10:51 pm
Welcome! Look forward to joining you at the table.
Jan 23, 2018 11:51 pm
Yep, I am lucky in that (back in 2007) I was able to use a Facebook site to create a gaming group for my geographic area (Valley Dice Chuckers). My mission was to get a game going once a month and committing to maintaining that group. Just like DMing on PbP websites, it meant that I had to insist that the members of the group "commit to committing" one Saturday night a month and sticking to that commitment, once made. Membership has been strengthened in recent years and I have been able to allow new people to come in and join the group when others were not available/able to commit.

We started with 3.5, moved to Pathfinder in about 2012 and then in the past 2 years dove in with a vengeance for 5e. I swear to anyone who'll listen; from a player-DMs perspective, D&D 5e is the best D&D for the perfect balance of story-telling and mechanics. Not only has it revitalized our gaming table, it brought me back from a three-year hiatus from PbP. The lengthy, clunky, numbers-heavy mechanics of 3.5 and PF simply was burning me out and I believe PbP, and tabletop story-telling too, benefits from combat brevity. It has brought me back to the days of my teens, when I played 1st edition AD&D and then in my early twenties when I came home in the summers from college to play all-night sessions of 2nd edition with some high-school buddies.

I think that's what has been the best discovery for me: I feel the old D&D nostalgia again! Demagor, I hope you'll get to experience that too!
Last edited January 23, 2018 11:52 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.