Let's Get Spo0o0o0oky

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 23, 2018 6:48 pm
What's up fam

Just joined up after finding my way over here from the Call of Cthulhu reddit. I've been playing tabletop games for about ten years now - I had a long running "Murder Club" that met weekly for about 5 years, which finally dissolved a couple of years ago when I moved out of town. It's been tough to organize any sort of regular group (people in New York City are really busy, who knew) and I had no idea a forum like this existed until today - I'm eager to give it a try and get involved in some games!

Gaming-wise, investigative horror is my bread and butter. I have lots of experience running CoC 6th and 7th, Delta Green, and Trail of Cthulhu, and it looks like there's not much Lovecraft action happening on the boards here - if there's any interest out there from players, I've been eager to GM something in that vein again.

In addition, I've played lots of DnD 5E, and would love to get in a party as a player to get a feel for how the forum works. Beyond Cthulhu and DnD, I don't have much hands on experience with RPGs but I'm pretty open minded about my games - I'm an actor, and so I get a real kick out of roleplaying opportunities, character development, and improvisation, but also can get riled up about intricate battlefield tactics and love "crunchy bits" - that is to say, most games will offer me something that I can sink my teeth into.

I'm not really sure what the best way for a new member to get involved is - do I just start applying to join games from here?

Thanks guys! Looking forward to rolling some dice with ya.
Last edited January 23, 2018 7:22 pm
Jan 23, 2018 7:01 pm
Hello, Santouche!

Welcome to Gamer's Plane. I too am quite new so I can't give you much direction, but it's always nice to be greeted and feel welcomed.

Also, if you're looking for a good DND 5E game, contact gamer Cruvis about Swords of Justice: A Jagged Alliance. He's top notch in the design, creativity, writing and detail department, and the game is looking for players. I have a good feeling that you will really click with it.

Nevertheless, welcome to GP and I hope you enjoy it!

-Dem
Jan 23, 2018 7:04 pm
Hi Santouche. There is a New Player Guide that helps get you looking in the right spots. Apply to games as you wish, though sometimes it is best to contact the GM first either in the looking-for game thread or through a private message, just so they have a heads up.
Jan 23, 2018 7:09 pm
Qralloq says:
There is a New Player Guide
That's what I needed. Thanks for pointing me towards that, Qralloq. And Demagor, thanks for DnD tip - I'll shoot Cruvis a message.
Jan 23, 2018 7:19 pm
Welcome Santouche! If you're willing, I'd love to know what thread led you our way! CoC was actually getting a good deal of attention a bit ago, but you're right in that it's slowed down as of late. I'm positive there are interested players. As for how to get started, you can check out the Games Tavern form to see what games are looking for players, or post there if you want to start your own. You can always apply straight to a game, but if you're interested, PMing a GM is also a good way to find out if they're/you're a good fit!

And as for NYC, it's tough! I work in midtown Manhatten myself (live in Jersey).

Edit: Is it bad that though this is my site, I forget we created a New Player Guide? Well, not we, since I didn't create it and barely had a hand in it, but a bunch of you did.
Jan 23, 2018 7:33 pm
Keleth says:
If you're willing, I'd love to know what thread led you our way!
It was this one.
Last edited January 23, 2018 7:34 pm
Jan 23, 2018 8:27 pm
Welcome Santouche!
Jan 23, 2018 8:27 pm
Welcome! Hope you can find some games that fit for you
Jan 23, 2018 8:48 pm
Welcome! I’m also in NYC so I know the feeling. Luckily, PBP gives a lot of flexibility so that almost anyone can join in the fun.
Jan 23, 2018 8:51 pm
Moofsalot says:
Welcome! I’m also in NYC so I know the feeling. Luckily, PBP gives a lot of flexibility so that almost anyone can join in the fun.
You're in the city too?! Neat!
Jan 23, 2018 8:54 pm
Keleth says:
Moofsalot says:
You're in the city too?! Neat!
Ten million gamers all on different schedules :( Side note, have either of you ever checked out the Brooklyn Strategist (not the same thing as Compleat Strategist)?
Jan 23, 2018 8:57 pm
Santouche says:
Ten million gamers all on different schedules :( Side note, have either of you ever checked out the Brooklyn Strategist (not the same thing as Compleat Strategist)?
Not me. I usually just hang around downtown/midtown Manhattan, unless I'm going off to do something specific. An old group of friends used to hit Brooklyn with some frequency, and I'd join, but I don't really wander as much solo.
Jan 23, 2018 9:01 pm
Geez. Any of you moving to So Cal?
Jan 23, 2018 9:03 pm
Demagor says:
Geez. Any of you moving to So Cal?
I'm looking for jobs in Cali, though no luck yet.
Jan 23, 2018 9:09 pm
Santouche says:
I’m pretty sure my sibs have been to one or both back like 10+ years ago, but I have not.
Jan 24, 2018 1:53 pm
Welcome, Santouche! :-)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.