Chapter 1, Day 1 Morning: The Witchwood

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 9, 2015 3:42 pm
Map of Elsir Vale

The afternoon sun beats down on you; the air is hot and still. The sparsely settled lands of Elsir Vale are starting to grow monotonous, with a seemingly endless line of dusty flyspecks of towns. The town of Drellen's Ferry lies a few miles ahead of you. It's a settlement hard on the boarders of the Witchwood, and the best place from which to begin exploring the nearby forest. As you walk you talk, jest and reflect on the journey you've had so far together. Where you first coalesced into a group as the result of a rather difficult to remember evening of good ale and good food, you've now been together for the better part of a month as you traveled to and within the Elsir Vale.

All Characters Should be Level 2. While you level up, feel free to role-play a bit. You can make up stories about what's happened to you since the prologue. Xena may introduce herself to the group here in anyway she deems fit (or, wait and I'll introduce her once everyone is levelled up). Once you level up, please report your characters current AC and max hit points so I can updated my app. When everyone's in order, we'll forge ahead!
Jul 15, 2015 4:33 pm
"Show me again, Zaris, come on" Corban asked the wizard pleadingly. "Think about it, the frost will feel good in this blasted heat! Last time all I could conjur up was a snowflake!, I know you think it was just a bead of sweat, but I'm telling you, it felt genuinely cold!"

The last month had been a long, boring walk. There was only so much entertainment to be drawn from crude pranks at Kaiaka's expense, the paladin had shown that he wouldn't tolerate such behaviours. Corban had mainly passed the time harassing Zaris to to teach him some things about magic. It had always intrigued him, and had things gone differently in his youth, he may have ended up in robes instead of chain mail.

Their journey led them toward a supposed treasure vault. There was nothing like treasure to bring a group of adventurers together, regardless of their philosophies on how the world worked. And in this case all they were operating on was an ancient map provided by a surprisingly helpful wererat. Things should pick up once they crossed the river and entered the Witchwood, at the very least they ought to find some shade from this awful heat.

Corban turned to the new recruit to their rambling band of adventurers, Xara. "So Xara, tell me again about that time the barbarians had you strung up, it cracks me up every time. For a bunch of free spirits, those nomads can be real hard-asses when it comes to their stuff."
Jul 16, 2015 1:08 am
Meditation. It's a daily reminder to me at the temple and a necessity in the outside world. I've tried to learn patience, but such childish pranks tested me so! I'm fairly certain they got satisfaction when my tail twitched.
[OOC: The voice of Dinobot from Transformers: Beast Wars came to mind during that little rant, for some strange reason.]
I do my best to remember these are not personal attacks but some twisted form of friendship.
At any rate, despite the addition of a thief to our group, this journey has brought me closer to Tyr. He has granted me magic to better seek justice in this world.
I barely contain a sneer when the conversation turns toward the new group member. I would be watching her - closely.
Jul 16, 2015 1:47 am
I smile, basking in the attention. A young bard by the name of Panril once told me 'a true Queen of Thieves should never tell her tales more than once for they are meant to be told and retold by countless others. That's how Legends are born.' Well, aren't I on my way to becoming a legend? Too bad I've already broken that rule 4 times this journey alone. I'm going to need more stories.

I roll my eyes dramatically. "Again, Corb? Aren't you sick of that story by now? They had it coming, that's all I have to say about that! Stringing me up like a prized pig over a spit. Ruuuuuuude."

I yawn, stretching out my arms as I take in our surroundings. Not much has changed. Even the trees are all starting to look the same to me. "You know, I thought this trip would be a little more interesting. It's all talking... and walking... and not a decent mark the whole way over here! You sure we're going the right way?"
Last edited July 16, 2015 2:13 am
Jul 16, 2015 2:11 am
"No, you need to concentrate on the inner sense much more Corban," Zaris says to his friend. He stops his walk and waves his hand in the familiar arcs that created snow from the small pieces of wood he picked up from the ground. In the time since the wererat incident he had finally translated a passage giving him insight into the art of transmutation. He was enjoying the benefits from his new found abilities practicing turning matter from one form into another. "You see, nothing to it!" he adds with a smirk.

"What do we know of this Witchwood?" he asks aloud as they continue their walk.
Jul 17, 2015 3:24 am
I limp along behind the rest of the group, largely keeping my own council. My thoughts have turned darker since breathing in the essence of the werecreatures we had fought at the tower. Corban's lack of maturity and constant needling has been especially grating and more than once I've thought about speaking in demonic foul enough to give him a migraine. Only realizing that the resulting lecture from Kaiakas prevent the less pleasant aspects of my impulses under control.
Jul 17, 2015 1:58 pm
The road crests a small rise and descends into a dusty grove in a large shallow dell. An abandoned farmhouse, partially visible through the trees, stands on one side of the road. You've passed a dozen spots much like this one already today, but this one feels wrong. Then you glimpse the glint of mail through the brush by the side of the road. Fierce warriors - tall, hairy humanoids with wide mouths and flat faces - are lying in wait!

You stop for a moment and one of the hidden figures lets out a howl, a hound of some sort to your flank, and the ambushers leap from the woods and begin their attack.

Enemies: Three Hobgoblins and One Hellhound
Location: You are at the bottom right of this map walking along the path, the hellhound is in the woods directly beside you and the hobgoblins are along the escarpment in the bushes ahead.

Initiative:
Corban, Kaiakas, Rurik
Hobgoblins
Zaris, Zara
Hellhound
Jul 17, 2015 3:10 pm
"I'll clear out the hound!" Corban raises his Shield, and draws his sword while rushing over to the hell hound. "I'm sorry, pup" he says as he thrusts with his longsword.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Damage w/ Longsword - (1D8+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Jul 17, 2015 3:49 pm
Corban scrambles up the steep escarpment and lays into the hellhound with a heavy slash of his sword. The creature lets out a yowl as the blade cuts deep into its side.

Corban hits for 11 Damage
Jul 18, 2015 12:48 am
Sword and shield at the ready, I spin toward the unnatural stench of the hellhound and drive my sword tip at its throat.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Damage - (1d8+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Jul 18, 2015 12:54 am
Kaiakas scrambles up the escarpment behind Corban and plunges his blade into the beasts throat as his companions blade pulls away. The sudden thrust silences the beasts' yowling.

Hellhound is dead.

Zaris and Xara, I've deleted both of your posts as your planned target will be dead by the time your turn rolls around. Also, you're both after the Hobgoblins and so you may want to see what they do before committing yourself to killing a Hellhound corpse ;)
Jul 19, 2015 2:09 pm
I point to the Hobgoblin nearest to Xara and bark a single word "Grovel" it slides out of my mouth to surround the creature in the form of demonic commands.
ooc: casting Command for it to grovel which makes it drop prone and end its turn if it fails a will save of 12
Jul 19, 2015 3:02 pm
The hobgoblin tilts its head at Rurik while pulling out its longbow, then suddenly drops its weapon and falls to the ground on its hands and knees. The other two are not so influence and knock arrows, one shooting at Zaris and the other Rurik. Rurik manages to sidestep the arrow, but Zaris, who is in the middle of pulling out his own hefty crossbow, is struck square in the shoulder.

Three more hobgoblins leap out onto the road from within the bushes, draw blades and charge down the pathway, engaging Xara and Rurik in melee combat.

Zaris is hit for 8 Damage

One Hobgoblin is prone on the ridge (right side). Two, armed with bows, are on the left ridge up the road a bit (they cannot be reached by anyone using regular movement this round, it would take a double move to reach them).

Corban and Kaiakas are up the ridge, it will take a move action to scramble down and engage the hobgoblins fighting their allies below, or a move action to go along the ridge towards the prone hobgoblin.

Three Hobgoblins, Rurik and Xara are engaged (moving away provokes, unless you use the Disengage Action -- the road isn't very wide, so moving away will mean moving up the ridge).

Zaris is not engaged with anyone, but he does have an arrow in the shoulder.

With the Hellhound Dead we're not effectively in Us vs Them initiative. It's player turn.
Jul 20, 2015 2:17 pm
"ZARIS!" Corban bellows as the arrow strikes his old friend. Corban curses as he realizes that the archers are a little too far for his comfort. Going to have to study harder, a fire bolt would be useful about now... Corban thinks to himseld. "Find some cover Zaris!" Corban rushes down the hill, and, sword dancing in a whirling rage, strikes at the nearest hobgoblin engaged with Xara and Rurik.

Corban will attack, then use action surge to attack again. If the first falls he'll move to the next target...

Rolls

Attack 1 w/longsword - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Dam 1 w/longsword - (1D8+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Attack 2 (Action Surge) - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Dam 2 w/longsword - (1d8+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Jul 20, 2015 2:27 pm
In his flurry of attacks Corban fells the first hobgoblin, steps forward and kills a second with the follow-through. He puts himself between the last hobgoblin and Rurik and Xara, sword held at the ready to strike it down next.

Corban hits both for lethal damage

Zaris is hit for 8 Damage

One Hobgoblin is engaged with Rurik, Xara and Corban (moving away provokes, unless you use the Disengage Action -- the road isn't very wide, so moving away will mean moving up the ridge).

Zaris is not engaged

Rurik, Zaris, Xara, Kaiakas - in any order
Jul 20, 2015 3:08 pm
I notice the hobgoblins with bows and move to engage with them. I keep my shield ready to protect from any incoming projectiles during my move. I will cut down the first hobgoblin I meet.
[ooc: rolls for next round's attack.]

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Damage - (1d8+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Jul 20, 2015 3:15 pm
Kaikas raises his shield and moves carefully along the ridge towards the archer hiding in the woods on his side of the road. As he nears the hobgoblin it fires and arrow that deflects of the shield, then, in a panic, drops its bow and pulls out a longsword to defend itself.

Kaikas is now Engaged with the Hobgoblin on the right hand ridge.

The arrow was descriptive fluff, no action expended on the hobgoblin's part

Rurik, Zaris,Xara - in any order
Jul 20, 2015 5:12 pm
I snort derisively at the hobgoblin, watching the fool scrambling. "Yer not worth the effort". I drop my hand to my side and pull the crossbow up pulling the trigger dismissively, not even bothering to finely aim, or even sully my dark gifts on the wretch

Rolls

Crossbow attack roll - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Crossbow damage - (1d8)

(7) = 7

Jul 20, 2015 5:36 pm
Rurik's crossbow fires with a loud SHUNK and the bolt strikes the hobgoblin square in the chest. It is briefly staggered, but maintains its grip on its weapon and steps forward to strike back...

Rurik hits for 7 Damage.

Zaris and Xara are up

Rolls

Disadvantaged Attack - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Jul 21, 2015 1:01 am
Zaris screams out in agony as the arrow lodges itself into his shoulder. He staggers back a few steps, his mind becoming cloudy from the pain. He looks at Corban and shrugs before stumbling into the thickest part of the trees he can find. He collapses down and pulls a small piece of leather from his pack. He bites down hard and tries to pull the arrow from his flesh and then chants as coherently as he can holding the piece of leather to his chest.

OOC. Casting mage armor. AC = 15 for the next 8 hours.
Jul 21, 2015 3:12 am
"Leave one for me, will ya??" I dart quickly in front of Corban, turning at an angle towards the hobgoblin and giving my rapier a flourish before jabbing at it.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20)

(12) = 12

damage? - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Jul 21, 2015 1:19 pm
Xara's blade strikes the hobgoblin in the side and it topples over, clutching the bleeding deep wound she cut into its gut.

Xara hits for 4 Damage, which is enough to kill.

Xara, you add your Proficiency Bonus (+2) and your Dexterity (+3) to Attack Rolls with a Rapier (because it's Finesse you can use Dexterity instead of Strength). You also add your Dexterity bonus to Damage rolls with the Rapier (again, because it's Finesse you can use Dexterity instead of Strength).
Jul 21, 2015 1:30 pm
The hobgoblin Kaiakas engaged lunges at him with its longsword. Its reckless attack finds a gap in the target's defense, and Kaiakas is savagely struck on the arm.

The other two pull back their bows and let arrows fly at the rest of the group. Xara, who is standing out front, is grazed by an arrow, and Rurik manages to avoid one aimed for his chest.

The door of the farmhouse to the side of the road swings open and two larger hobgoblins and a hell hound step out and survey the battle. One of them is wearing blackened metal armour and the other is dressed in multicolour robes. The robed hobgoblin grabs a holy symbol around his neck and begins to chant, a shield of magical energy wraps itself around the larger hobgoblin who lets out a vicious warcry and charges the group. The hell hound is hot on his heels. The two reach Corban and Xara and engage them in combat.

A 20 hits Kaiakas for 8 Damage
A 16 hits Xara for 2 Damage
A 15 misses Rurik

Hobgoblin 1 and 2 are not engaged and have longbows out (along the left ridge)
Kaiakas is engaged with Hobgoblin 3 (along the right ridge)
Corban and Xara are engaged with Armored Hobgoblin and Hell Hound (at the fork in the road)
The Cleric is standing haflway up the road to the farmhouse

The rest are behind Corban and Xara. You are not engaged, but moving away from here will require moving through the woods, which will take a full round of movement (no attack) to cross and reach the Cleric.

Party Turn
Jul 21, 2015 2:37 pm
"Cute armour, big guy" Corban says with a surprising amount of levity even though he's covered in blood from the previous kills. Corban lunges at the armoured hobgoblin, angling his attack so that he'll hopefully turn his back to Xara.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

(8) + 5 = 13

Jul 21, 2015 2:58 pm
Zaris manages to lead his crossbow and from his vantage point takes aim at the cleric hobgoblin. "Try chanting with a bolt through your neck!" he mumbles to himself letting the missile fly.

Rolls

cross bow - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

crossbow second roll if you need disadvantage - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

damage - (1d8)

(8) = 8

Jul 21, 2015 3:53 pm
Corban's blade slams into the hobgoblin's side, his blade finding a gap between the plates and coming away slick with blood. The goblin hefts his greatsword in preparation for a counter attack.

Zaris' crossbow bolt flies into the dense woods and doesn't emerge, having lodged itself firmly into a tree.

Corban hits for 13 Damage
Zaris misses - the Disadvantage was indeed called for.

Also, Xara, as a reminder, you get Sneak Attack damage when you attack an enemy that an ally is Engaged with (such as the big armoured hobgoblin Corban and you are both engaged with) so don't forget the bonus damage (you got it against the last target too, but it wouldn't have made a difference).
Jul 21, 2015 5:21 pm
"Come on ugly, say hi to my pointy stick!" I seize the moment while he appears distracted, diving forward with the rapier in search of a soft spot.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d6+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Damage - (1d8+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Sneak Attack - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Rerolling attack with a d20 - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Jul 21, 2015 5:44 pm
The hobgoblin is unable to attend well to both opponents, and keeps most of his attention on Corban. This affords Xara the opportuntiy to find a gap in his layers of plate in which to thrust the thin point of her rapier and stab a soft flesh part of his body. The blade comes back slick with blackened blood.

Xara hits for 14 Damage.

Rurik and Kaiakas are left.
Jul 21, 2015 6:09 pm
"Well I supposed I should have been able to see that was going to happen!" Zaris says to himself, unbemused.
Jul 21, 2015 11:54 pm
Grimacing through the pain, I retaliate with an attack of my own to the hobgoblin.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Damage - (1d8+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Jul 21, 2015 11:57 pm
Kaiakas' blade strikes hard, taking a large chunk out of his foes cheap leather armour and his flesh, but he remains standing. If barely.

Hit for 10 Damage
Jul 22, 2015 1:55 am
Seeing the cleric on the other side of the trees, my eyes narrow and a voice not wholly my own says "Your pitiful God can do nothing to protect you." I extend a finger and a now familiar blast jets toward the cleric

Rolls

Eldritch Blast Attack - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Eldritch Blast damage - (1d10+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Jul 22, 2015 12:09 pm
Rurik's eldritch blast, like Zaris' bolt, goes into the wooded divide between him and his target and never emerges.

The cleric presses his hands together as he walks up behind the armoured hobgoblin. They glow white and he places them on his companions back. The hobgoblin straightens and surges towards Corban with renewed vigour. He hefts his greatsword and it slams into the ground where Corban had been a moment before he stepped to the side.

The two hobgoblins with longbows set their sights on Corban and loose arrows. Both arrows land in the dirt on either side of him.

Finally, the hobgoblin engaged with Kaiakas thrusts his longsword forward and catches the paladin cleaning in the side. The blade cuts deep and the hobgoblin howls with delight.

Cleric uses Cure Wounds.
Corban is missed by three attacks.
Hobgoblin hits Kaiakas with a 24 (critical hit) for 11 Damage

The cleric is no longer obscured by the woods so you can make those ranged attacks without disadvantage
Jul 22, 2015 12:55 pm
[ooc: By my math, I'm at -1 hp.]
The blade cuts into me, stealing my strength and making me fall to the ground as my vision begins to fail.
Last edited July 22, 2015 1:40 pm

Rolls

Death Saving Throw - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Jul 22, 2015 3:15 pm
"Seems you've touched a nerve and made yourself a target, Corban!" Seeing the hobgoblin fail miserably at hitting Corbin, I attempt to show him how it's done! This time, I aim for his neck.

Rolls

Stabby stab stab - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Damage - (1d8+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Sneak Attack - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Jul 22, 2015 3:51 pm
Xara stabs upwards, but her rapier is deflected by a thick metal ridge that runs along the top of the hobgoblins chest plate.

Xara misses
Jul 22, 2015 4:28 pm
Zaris sees Kaiakas go down and rushes to his aid. "Hang in there my friend," he says, applying as much pressure to the wound as possible.

Rolls

Medicine roll - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

Jul 22, 2015 4:30 pm
"I can't help if they're jealous of my prowess!" Corban uses Xara's distracting stab to step into the Greatsword wielding brute, coming in with a heavy swing of his longsword.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

(8) + 5 = 13

Jul 22, 2015 4:39 pm
Zaris rushes up the ridge and along the woods towards his fallen companion. He reaches him, kneels and begins to apply pressure to the most recent wound. The hobgoblin that wounded him, looms over the mage.

Corban swings wide and catches nothing but armour with his attack. The hobgoblin laughs heartily, feeding on the frenzy and adrenaline of battle, and raises his sword over his head once more.

Corban misses. Gloriously, but he misses.
Zaris will need to double move to reach Kaiakas, as such that medicine roll will be used next round to stabilize.

Rurik is left
Jul 22, 2015 6:16 pm
"Cleric, I'll be back for yeh. First, I hafta teach yer friend about consequences. another bolt of demonicly sourced arcane energy flies toward the hobgoblin that dropped my friend

Rolls

Eldritch attack roll - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Disadvantage attack roll (if the hobby's still considered engaged) - (1d20+4)

(17) + 4 = 21

Crackle sizzle damage - (1d10+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Jul 22, 2015 6:37 pm
Before the enemy can strike down at Zaris, who has left himself exposed while tending to Kaiakas, a blast of energy strikes him in the chest and sends his scarred body tumbling backwards into the woods.

Rurik hits and kills!

Bad guy post when I get home (an hour or so)
Jul 22, 2015 10:27 pm
Corban barely deflects the armoured hobgoblin's blade. The fury of their battle makes it hard to aim at him, and the two hobgoblins with longbows again miss their quarry.

Seeing his companions struggling to hit the fighter, the cleric holds out his holy symbol and a blast of radiant energy streaks towards Corban. High on adrenaline, Corban twists as the bolt nears and it strikes the ground harmlessly where he had been a moment before.

Just as that happens three more hobgoblins round the corner at the end of the road and start towards the battle, swords drawn.

Corban is, again, missed by a greatsword and two arrows.
Cleric casts Guiding Bolt, but misses Corban.

Corban and Xara are still engaged with the Armoured one. Zaris is midway up the road along the ridge with the unconscious, but stable, Kaiakas. Rurik is behind Corban and Xara - you have sight and clear range to everything.

Three hobgoblins appear the the top of the map on the road.

Zaris stabilizes Kaiakas, but only has a Move Action this round.
Jul 22, 2015 10:33 pm
Corban bellows in frustration, "I've had enough of this! Die you ugly son of an ogre"

He thrusts with extra fury, trying to find an opening in the heavily armoured foe.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

(7) + 5 = 12

Jul 22, 2015 10:55 pm
Where the armoured hobgoblin has found Corban hard to pin down, Corban has found the creatures armour difficult to penetrate. His strike, yet again, deflects off the thick blackened half-plate covering most of the creatures vulnerabilities.

Corban misses
Jul 22, 2015 11:13 pm
"Wrong way! Look over here!" This time, I try something new and aim downwards, throwing most of my weight behind the thrust into what I hope is the hobgoblin's upper thigh.

Rolls

Sharp pokage - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Damage - (1d8+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Sneaky sneak - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Jul 22, 2015 11:34 pm
Xara's hopes are realized as her blade is indeed aimed at his upper thigh, but unfortunately there's another thick plate of blackened steel beneath the leather strips dangling from his belt and her blade deflects off harmlessly.

Miss!
Jul 23, 2015 3:17 am
Zaris grabs Kaiakas by the shoulders and attempts to drag him off to the side hoping it will be easier to defend there than in the open.

OOC: Half movement then since I'm dragging him?
Jul 23, 2015 1:52 pm
As my most recent blast dropped the hobby, an oily black smoke rises from its blasted corpse. It flies across the battle field to surround me whirling around and around until it coats my exposed skin in a semi-translucent black sheen. I smile and turn my efforts back to their spellcaster. "Hey cleric, will yer piddlin' god protect you a second time?" I bellow, hoping to at least draw some heat off of Arjen as he pulls Kaiakas to safety by attacking their spiritual leader. OOC: I have 3 temp hit points from Dark One's Blessing. Using my move action to try and get between the three new hobgoblins and Arjen (or as close as I can get) before attacking
Last edited July 23, 2015 1:56 pm

Rolls

Eldritch blast attack vs clerics belief - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

Eldritch blast damage - (1d10+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Jul 23, 2015 11:55 pm
Zaris pulls the unconscious Kaiakas into the shelter of the woods, as Rurik's blast strikes the Cleric in the chest, searing his robes and leaving a nasty black scar.

As he does so, one of the hobgoblins that just joined the battle scrambles up the escarpment and pursues him into the woods. The other two charge down the road towards the fray. The two hobgoblins with longbows again fire arrows at Corban, and again fail to hit their mark.

The hobgoblin in the thick armour growls and swings his blade again at Corban, again failing to hit his mark, although Corban barely evaded the attack this time. He gets the feeling that, if things carry on like this, one of those blows will remove his head...

The hell hound at the armoured hobgoblin's side finally joins in the battle, attempting to bite at Corban to no effect.

The cleric's hands glow and he presses them onto the big hobgoblin's back. The creatures weapon briefly glows white and he grins at Corban, "I'll split you in half now!"

Rurik hits for a huge 11 Damage.

One hobgoblin is near Zaris, not yet engaged... but will be.

Corban is missed by 2 more arrows, a great sword attack and a hell hound bite. He's apparently favoured by the goddess of luck today.

Corban and Xara are engaged with the Armoured Hobgoblin and the Hell Hound
The Cleric is near this fight engaged with no one. Two more fresh Hobgoblins are near him.
Two Hobgoblins with longbows are still on the left escarpment
One Hobgoblin with a sword has climbed up the right escarpment and is bearing down on Zaris (who has Kaiakas' unconscious body now in the woods)
Jul 24, 2015 3:44 pm
Tymora's tits, maybe I did figure out that shield spell... Corban thinks to himself as another volley of arrows fly past him. Frustrated that this monster is still standing, he steps into the big hobgoblin, feigning with his shield before bringing his sword around in a careful slash.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Dam 1 w/longsword - (1d8+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Jul 24, 2015 4:12 pm
A slash which, again clinks off the creatures armour and is deflected harmlessly. The hobgoblin chortles as it hefts its greatsword and makes to slash at Corban again, this time, however, the weapon has a faint golden glow...

Sadly, a miss. Roll better!
Jul 24, 2015 4:19 pm
All the death and violence surrounding me has got my blood up, energies swirl around me making my hair lift on aetheric winds. A cruel smile splits my face as I lock eyes with the cleric. I stick out a hand and flick my fingers as if dismissively brushing dirt away sending me another bolt of demon-aided energy his way.

Rolls

Brushing that cleric off existence (Eldritch blast attack roll) - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Damage - (1d10+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Jul 24, 2015 4:45 pm
The bolt of black energy slams into the cleric. He stands up straight on impact, his body shudders for a moment, then he collapses to the ground and lays there still, and very dead.

Hit and killed the Cleric
Jul 24, 2015 4:51 pm
"This has been fun, but no more playing games. You know who I am? I'm the one who's gonna mess you up good." One day, when they sing songs of this battle, they will remember the epic, inspiring words I spoke throughout the battle. But for now, that's the best I can do. I focus all my energy on the armored hobgoblin willing him to fall.
Last edited July 24, 2015 4:52 pm

Rolls

Attack? - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Damage - (1d8+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Sneaky sneak - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Jul 25, 2015 1:36 am
Zaris pulls his sword out and holds it horizontally in front of him and then crouches down in front of his fallen comrade. "Ahhhhhhhh!" he yelled, bracing himself for the impact of the hobgoblin's attack.

OOC: Taking the Dodge action to force attack roll disadvantage against me.
Jul 25, 2015 2:52 pm
Xara's attack barely leaves a scuff in the creatures armour. Meanwhile, Zaris panics and feebly holds his sword out hoping that by putting a blade between himself and his foe he'll emerge from the attack unscathed. The hobgoblin swings his blade. Undefended, the attack would probably have killed Zaris, but his feeble defense and general panic work, and the sword comes up at just the right angle to deflect the attack.

The armoured hobgoblin swings his greatsword at Corban. The blade, guided by the glowing gold light, finds its mark. The blade cuts off a chunk of Corban's shield and impacts on him on the side. Fortunately his chain mail blunts the blow, but he'll have one or two bruised or broken ribs from the force of impact alone. Two more arrows fly at Corban, one lands in the dirt beside him and the other grazes his hand.

The hell hound goes for Xara, nipped at her legs while she tries to get a good angle on the hobgoblin. She has little trouble avoiding the rather large, reddish fleshed, spike-furred beast.

The two other hobgoblins who came running down the road scramble up the escarpment to get around the prolonged battle between the armoured one, the hell hound, Corban and Xara. They position themselves and ready to leap down atop Rurik and get revenge for their fallen priest.

Zaris narrowly avoids a critical hit
Corban is hit (25 vs AC) by the Greatsword for 8 Damage
Corban is hit (20 vs AC) for 2 Damage by an arrow (missed by the other)
Xara is missed by a Hell Hound bite

Zaris, you can have Inspiration for handling a big ambush the way any respectable academic would... with panic.
Zaris is engaged with the Hobgoblin

Kaiakas, I'll allow you to expend a spell slot to heal 1d6 hit points per level of the slot expended as an Aspect of Tyr appears before you (and only you) and grants you the opportunity to prove yourself by defending your stalwart companions from these thieving, vile Hobgoblins. No other cost, just the spell slot (so you'll get a regular ol' turn if you do it).

Two archers still happily flinging arrows from the left ridge

Hell Hound, Armoured Hobgoblin, Corban and Xara are all engaged
Two Hobgoblins, on on each side of the ridge, are not engaged with anyone and are preparing to assault Rurik
Rurik is not engaged with anyone either
Jul 25, 2015 5:49 pm
"Ouch! That stung asshole! Let's see if you've got another one of those in you!" Corban swings his blade in a taunting flourish at the large hobgoblin,attracting its attention while catching his breath.

OOC:Action:"hey look at me! ", bonus action:second wind
Last edited July 25, 2015 5:50 pm

Rolls

Second wind heal - (1d10+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Jul 25, 2015 6:38 pm
Corban draws the attention of the big hobgoblin, giving Xara an opening that hopefully she can capitalize on.

Xara has Advantage on her next attack against the big guy -- roll your attack twice and take the better result!
Jul 26, 2015 12:56 am
No more taunts left in me, I aim my rapier straight at that hobgoblin's head.

Rolls

Attack! (with advantage) - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Attack! (with advantage) - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Damage - (1d8+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Sneak Attack - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Jul 26, 2015 1:54 am
As the sound of battle faded, a flash of golden light woke me. Standing before me was a being that radiated power and that golden light.
"Stand up, Kaiakas. Stand and be the paladin Tyr knows you can be."
It's voice boomed in my head. That light ... It was too bright. I couldn't stand to look at him directly. That is when I saw that he wore the symbol of The Maimed God, Tyr.
"Stand, Kaiakas! Show these vile creatures what it means to cross a servant of justice!"
I grit my teeth and summon all my strength to stand as the light of the angel flashed once more and disappeared.
When I finally stood, I found Zaris protecting me against a hobgoblin.
[OOC: With my fighting style, Protection, I impose disadvantage on the hobgoblin's next attack to Zaris with my shield (and reaction). Also including attack Romo for next opportunity since I've lost my place in initiative.]

Rolls

Healing self - (2d6)

(65) = 11

Attack - (1d20+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Damage - (1d8+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Jul 27, 2015 1:42 am
The wizard can hardly believe his luck as the hobgoblin's attack doesn't open his throat from ear to ear. He pivots back around, a sense of warrior instinct (something he has only read about in his books and heard about from Corban) flowing through his veins. He reaches his right arm down and pulls his sword out in a slashing motion hoping to catch the hobgoblin off guard.

"Get away from us!" he yells as loudly as his elven voice can.

Rolls

Short sword slash - (1d20-1)

(4) - 1 = 3

Using my inspiration for advantage - (1d20-1)

(18) - 1 = 17

damage - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Jul 27, 2015 11:51 am
Zaris swings the blade and, the hobgoblin not expecting much from the mage, is surprised when the sword cuts across its chest leaving a nasty wound.

Hit for 5 Damage!
Jul 27, 2015 5:54 pm
I draw in the piece of the clerics soul as his body collapses to the ground and then turn to the two hobgoblins climbing toward me. I repeat the same dismissive gesture that has served me well so far.

Rolls

Eldritch blast attack roll - (1d20+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Hobgoblin destroying damage - (1d10+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Jul 27, 2015 6:55 pm
Rurik's gesture produces a fizzle of black energy that dissipates as the hobgoblins leap down from the ridge and descend on him, their blades flashing through the air as they attack. He sidesteps one and into the other one's blade, which fortunately only scratches him as he twists away from the attack.

The hobgoblin fighting Zaris swings at him, and as the blade nears the mage's chest, Kaiakas rises from the ground and deflects it with his shield, making his own attack in return. The hobgoblin evades the attack and assumes a proper combat stance, preparing to battle the newly risen paladin.

The two hobgoblins on the ridge fire more arrows at Corban, determined to fell the hard-to-hit fighter. Both arrows find their mark, striking him hard. He stumbles back, out of the way of the cleaving greatsword attack from the armoured hobgoblin. Mean while, the hell hound lunges for Xara and gets a good bite out of her. Blood drips from its maw as its mouth begins to glow red and the air around it warms...

Rurik is attacked (15 and 19 vs AC) and hit for 2 Damage
Zaris is missed by sword (19 rerolled into a 4)
Corban is attacked by arrows (19 and 19 vs AC) for 9 Damage (5 and 4)
Corban is missed by great sword (10 vs AC)
Xara it Critically Hit (24 vs AC) by a bite (7 Damage)

Rurik is engaged with 2 Hobgoblins
Corban, Xara, the Armoured one and the Hell Hound are engaged
Kaiakas and Zaris are engaged with 1 Hobgoblin
2 Hobgoblin archers are free to move
Jul 27, 2015 7:24 pm
(OOC- Down to 1 HP.)

"Well Corban, that went well! Hey, where did everyone else go?" The blood is starting to pool at my feet. My blood? Am I getting dizzy or is the world spinning around me? My arm and rapier seem to move of their own volition as I take what will likely be my last swing at the beast that ripped out a chunk of my leg.
Last edited July 27, 2015 7:25 pm

Rolls

One last attempt at an attack - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Damage - (1d8+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Sneak Attack - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Near-death experiences are inspiring maybe? - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Jul 27, 2015 8:42 pm
Stepping to the side of Zaris to give him a clear shot if he wished, I summon the inner light I tapped into to heal myself, igniting my sword in white-hot light. "By Tyr, I will strike you down!"
[OOC: Casting Searing Smite. If it hits, the target ignites in flames and takes 1d6 additional fire damage at the start of his turn until a successful Con save (DC 13)]

Rolls

Weapon Attack - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Weapon damage - (1d8+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Searing Smite (fire damage) - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Jul 27, 2015 9:14 pm
"Time to die, you ugly son of a..." with a surprising amount of rage, Corban swings his longsword around, looking for an opening in the armoured hobgoblin's defences.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Inspired attack! - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Damage with Longsword - (1D8+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Jul 27, 2015 11:36 pm
Corban's blade clinks off of the creatures armour, but it's immediately deflected off. It slips upwards, slides under the shoulder plate, cutting it away and a chunk of the creatures shoulder. It howls in pain, shifts its grip on its great sword to favour the new wound and starts in with a heavy, reckless, swirling attack.

Xara's rapier stabs into the hell hound and it lets out a yelp and retreats a step back. Her wounds keep her from pursuing as it takes a deep breath, flames building up within its mouth...

Meanwhile, Kaiakas thrusts his glowing blade forward but the hobgoblin easily parries the attack.

Corban hits for 8 Damage!
Xara hits for 10 Damage!
Kaiakas misses

Rurik and Zaris up
Jul 28, 2015 4:02 pm
Eyes narrowing as some of the soul essence buffing me is sloughed off by the hobgoblins blow, I focus on the one who hit me and set about blast him into his component atoms

Rolls

Eldritch blast - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Eldritch blast (disadvantage roll) - (1d20+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Damage (assuming this hits) - (1d10+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Jul 28, 2015 4:37 pm
Ruriks' blast slams into a tree behind the hobgoblin. It's difficult to aim when two blades are being swing wildly in your direction.

Zaris steps forward and slashes at the hobgoblin, cutting across its throat. The creature's eyes go wide, and its gasps while grasping at the wound and falling over. It stops twitching as Zaris and Kaiakas step over it and move towards the ridge and their allies.

Rurik Misses

Zaris hits for 5 Damage

Rolls

Zaris Sword - (1d20-1)

(14) - 1 = 13

Sword Damage - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Aug 2, 2015 11:50 am
The two hobgoblins converge on Rurik, slashing at him without much thought for form and style. The warlock manages, through the will of some dark fate, to avoid both attacks with relative ease.

The hobgoblins archers loose arrows at Kaiakas and Zaris as they emerge from the woods. Zaris is glazed by an arrow and Kaiakas defelects one with his shield.

The armoured hobgoblin's greatsword slams into the dirt path where Corban was moments before. He grunts, hefts the blade and prepares for the inevitable counter attack.

The hell hound, fire collecting in the air arounds its mouth, rears up on its hind legs and belches out a coulmn of fire that engulfs Rurik, Corban, Xara and both hobgoblins that are attacking Rurik. The hobgoblins ignite and fall to the ground, thrashing for a moment before laying still.

Ruruk is missed (9 and 12 vs AC)
Zaris is hit (19 vs AC) for 5 Damage
Kaiakas is missed (12 vs AC)
Hobgoblin's fail Dex save and die to Hell Hound Fire

Rurik, Xara, Corban - start your turn with a DC 11 Dexterity Save. On a fail you take 11 Fire Damage, on a success you take 5 Fire Damage.
Aug 2, 2015 2:28 pm
I see it happen before it does, but there's no time to get out of the way. The last thing I see is the blast of flame before my world goes dark.

Rolls

Dex Save - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Aug 3, 2015 1:29 pm
Seeing the flames reaching for me, I desperately dive out of the way. Unfortunately the sight of the Flames catch me off guard as I have visions of my infernal master calling my soul to his service, the flames washing over and burning me severely
Last edited August 3, 2015 1:30 pm

Rolls

Dexterity Save - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Aug 3, 2015 3:07 pm
As the flames surround and burn me, a demonic face appears in the flames and commandingly bellows "No!". The word, writ large in flame rushes back to hell hound in a hellish rebuke. OOC: Dex save vs DC12 for half damage (fire typed)
As the flames recede and I remain standing, barely, I send a blast of eldritch energy back at the hound

Rolls

Hellish Rebuke Damage - (2d10)

(76) = 13

Eldritch Blast attack roll - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Disadvantage attack roll (if needed) - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Eldritch Damage - (1d10+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Aug 3, 2015 7:42 pm
The blast of hellish fire wraps around the hell hound. When the flames clear, the beast lays still on the ground, its body charred and blackened. Rurik quickly tries to redirect his eldritch blast to hit the hobgoblin leader, but is too late and it slams into the ground harmlessly.

Hit and killed the Hell Hound.
I took your blast to then be aimed at the Armoured Hobgoblin.. and it missed.

Characters left:
Corban (still need the Dex save, then your turn if you're still up)
Xara (owes me a Death Save)
Kaiakas
Zaris

Remaining Foes:
1 Armored Hobgoblin engaged with Corban
2 Hobgoblin Archers engaged with no one on the ridge
Aug 3, 2015 8:51 pm
I feel heavy. Not exactly feel. More like the air is heavy? That must be it. Strange.

Rolls

Death save - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Aug 4, 2015 3:49 pm
"Blast it!" Corban cursed as the flames engulfed him.

Barely diving out of the way, yet still singing the hairs on his arm, he spun, attacking the armoured foe again with his longsword.

OOC: Edits were after Dex save was successful or not, and updating my target to one that was still alive ;)
Last edited August 4, 2015 3:52 pm

Rolls

Dex save - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

(1) + 5 = 6

Aug 4, 2015 5:51 pm
Corban's attack hits nothing but air.

Kaiakas
Zaris are up
Aug 4, 2015 9:19 pm
As Zaris and I make our way from the woods, I survey the battlefield, locking my gaze on the armored hobgoblin. "Take care of the archers, Zaris." As I make my way toward the armored foe and bellow with the force of Tyr behind my words. My already silver eyes flare with inner light as I command the hobgoblin, "DROP!"
[OOC: I cast Command.]
Aug 5, 2015 3:12 pm
"Very well Kaiakas," Zaris says with very labored breathing. The last attack had taken him to the brink of death but he knew that he needed to act. He made his way as carefully as he could knowing that one more arrow would most likely be the death of him. Using whatever cover he could, he made his way to the archers pulling a small packet of sand from his pouch. The red, blue, and yellow crystals glinted in the light as he raised them in front of his mouth and blew towards the archers. I hope this works he muttered to himself.

OOC. Casting color spray.

Rolls

hp of monsters affected. - (6d10)

(2610943) = 34

Aug 6, 2015 2:19 pm
The two archers try to shield their eyes, but they are too late and are blinded by the spray of bright colours. They attempt to fire arrows in response at Zaris, but blinded they are not very good shots at all and miss.

The armoured hobgoblin stiffens at Kaiakas' command and drops his greatsword then stands there staring at it confused for a moment.

Colour spray hits both blinding them and they subsequently miss horribly on their shots
The big guy fails his Wisdom save, drops his great sword and and his turn.

Everyone is up!
Aug 6, 2015 8:10 pm
Zaris, exhausted from the effort needed to cast his spell quickly turns and runs back towards the cover of the trees. "Another hit and I am done for," he mutters to himself.

OOC: I go to take cover in the brush and ready the DEFEND action. He also crosses his fingers and hopes he doesn't wet himself from the severity of the situation!
Aug 6, 2015 8:19 pm
"I've had quite enough of you!" Corban exclaims as he brings his sword in for what he hopes will be a brutal finish.

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Attack - advantage roll - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Damage with Longsword - (1D8+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Aug 6, 2015 8:34 pm
The hell hound collapses into a pile of charred meat and a small black cloud slips from its corpse to surround me once more in a small soul-charged shield (OOC: Dark One's Blessing 3 temp HP). Seeing that the armored Hobby is being taken care of, I turn my attention to the archers. I extend my finger and an eldritch blast springs toward the nearest one.

Rolls

Eldritch Blast attack - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Blinded advantage - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Damage - (1d10+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Aug 7, 2015 4:09 pm
Corban slashes the hobgoblin across the face and he staggers back, his hands covering the deep wound as he howls in pain.

Rurik's blast soars across the road and slams into one of the archers, knocking him backwards a bit as he is surprised by the sudden impact.

Corban hits, the foe is not quite dead.
Rurik hits

Kaiakas and Xara are up
Aug 8, 2015 2:46 am
When I come to, my eyes flutter open and I feel both pain and exhaustion from the battle. Now is not the time to prove myself. While I do plan to die gloriously one day, today will not be that day! Staying low to the ground, I crawl my way toward the trees in order to stay hidden and make myself less of a target.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Aug 8, 2015 6:17 pm
Xara does her best to slip into the foliage and make herself small and hard to detect, even though her injuries make careful precise movements difficult.

Kaiakas is up

There's 2 blinded archers, one is a little hurt, and one very hurt armored hobgoblin
Aug 9, 2015 12:04 am
Preparing for a final strike by infusing my blade with divine power, I relentlessly attack the hobgoblin.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(9) + 4 = 13

Weapon damage - (1d8+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Divine Smite - (2d8)

(45) = 9

Aug 9, 2015 4:05 am
Kaiakas' blade, glowing with divine power, cuts through the hobgoblins armor plate and buries itself deep into the creatures hide. The hobgoblin shudders briefly before falling to the ground, dead.

The archers scramble backwards into the woods, tripping over themselves and each other, trying feebly to make an escape.

You're all up. Blind archers running away, you are all able to reach them and take an action should you wish to pursue.

Rolls

Kaiakas has Advantage - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Aug 9, 2015 7:25 pm
"Find your mark," Zaris says as he loads a bolt into his crossbow, takes aim at the fleeing enemy and lets loose.

Rolls

Crossbow - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Crossbow advantage (if warranted) - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Arrow damage - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Aug 9, 2015 7:32 pm
The bolt narrowly hits one of the hobgoblins, cutting his arm as it sails past and lodges itself into a tree

Hit for 1 damage!
Aug 10, 2015 12:31 am
"Get out of here!" he yells, loading another arrow into the crossbow. "We don't have time for this!" He then slumps over in the brush, exhausted.
Aug 10, 2015 4:47 pm
In exhausted rage, Corban dashes toward one of the stumbling, blinded archers, trying to end it and prevent future ambushes of this type.
Last edited August 10, 2015 4:48 pm

Rolls

Attack! - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Attack - advantage roll--if necessary - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Damage with Longsword - (1d8+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Aug 10, 2015 4:54 pm
Corban scrambles up the slope, and feebly throws himself and his sword towards the target. The archer, stumbles and trips as Corban lands on top of him and drives the blade through the hobgoblin's back.

Corban hits and kills the already hurt one.

Xara, Rurik, Kaiakas
Aug 11, 2015 11:05 am
I'm exhausted, but once I've caught my breath I evaluate the situation. I wouldn't survive another bout with the hobgoblin, but it seems to be taken care of. Well, that simplifies matters. I take several steps toward the fleeing archer, flinging my rapier at his retreating back.

Rolls

Attack- rapier (thrown) - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Damage - (1d8-1)

(3) - 1 = 2

Aug 11, 2015 3:17 pm
The final archer flees for the hills, but after the harm he and his have caused my friends I narrow my eyes and the black soul-stuff of the hell hound that was acting as a shield for me coalesces into a spear shape and soars toward the archer.

Rolls

Eldritch Blast attack roll - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Damage - (1d10+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Aug 11, 2015 4:57 pm
Zaris looks in awe at the blast that Rurik sends towards the archer. He can always appreciate such an impressive use of The Weave.
Aug 11, 2015 6:22 pm
The arcane blast slams into the archer and he is tossed several feet and to the ground. He lays there, still and very much dead.

Comabt over!
Aug 11, 2015 7:07 pm
The spear dissolves and mingles with the bit of soul-stuff leeched from the hobgoblin which rushes back and surrounds me. Zaris notices my face take on a demonic cast to it as if something else is wearing my skin while the soul stuff circles me and then sinks beneath my flesh. The demonic cast disappears just as quickly as it appears and I suddenly look very tired and very drained. I drop to a seated position, exhausted by the combat, the wounds, and the energies expended.
Aug 11, 2015 7:46 pm
"Well, that was inconvenient." I say that to the nearest party member while casually checking the bodies for anything of value.
Last edited August 11, 2015 7:48 pm
Aug 11, 2015 7:52 pm
Zaris walks quickly to Rurik and hands him his water. "Here, you need a drink."
Aug 12, 2015 1:17 am
In addition to the equipment they are wearing, Xara finds an unimpressive sum of thirty gold spread out amongst the corpses, with ten of that thirty on the body of the cleric. Additionally, she notices the cleric's holy symbol is quite ornate and picks it up. It features heads of five dragons, each a different colour.
Aug 12, 2015 1:33 am
"What an absolutely stunning artifact!" Zaris exclaims, practically dropping his bag. "Do you mind if I get a look at it?"

Rolls

Arcana to see if I recognize the symbol. - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Aug 12, 2015 1:56 am
At Zaris' excited expression, I instinctively clutch the fancy pendant closer to my chest before begrudgingly holding it out for him to take a look. "How much you think this dragon thing is worth?"
Aug 12, 2015 1:59 am
Zaris examines it, but the only conclusion he is able to come to is that it's a religious artifact and not something knowledge of the arcane would aid in identifying.

Religion check to identify
Aug 12, 2015 4:27 am
I take the water gratefully, drinking from it gratefully. Seeing the group gather around the clerics body examing something, I step closer. "Hmmm, I think I read something about this in some half forgotten time in the Dalelands" I start muttering to myself as I look at the symbol, searching my memory for any pertinent information.
OOC: don't know if the researcher feature of my sage background would trigger, trying to find information about the symbol

Rolls

Religion check - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Aug 12, 2015 4:41 am
It takes no more than a quick glance for Rurik to recognize the holy symbol. It is the symbol of Tiamat, evil god of the chromatic dragons.

Sage feature not necessary because you aced the roll!
Aug 13, 2015 1:45 am
"What is it Rurik? Are you about to impress us with your vast book learnings or what?" I pick up the rapier that I chucked blindly into the woods and lean against a tree for a moment to catch my breath. I hope I don't look half as terrible as I feel. I feel like death.
Aug 13, 2015 2:39 am
"Yes, Rurik! What is it? Should we be worried?" Zaris sits down against a tree and retrieves a book from his pack and begins reading a short passage about Tiamat. "Horrific...." he mutters under his breath. "I wonder if each of the heads can speak under its own accord?" He lays the book on his lap, leans back against the tree, and closes his eyes to get a short rest.
Last edited August 13, 2015 1:04 pm

Rolls

Hit dice - (1d6)

(1) = 1

second hit die. - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Aug 13, 2015 1:24 pm
I fix Xara with a flat stare, "Ye've been spending too much time with Corban, Xara." Reaching down, I snap the symbol from the thong around the cleric's throat and toss it to Zaris "I wouldn't be too worried, Tiamat didn't do too much to protect this one." I give the corpse at our feet a kick for emphasis. "Though, y'can never be disappointed bein' on guard." I sit against a nearby tree going through the books I have looking for a way to use Tiamat to escape my demonic deal, but it would likely be trading one master for another.
OOC: is there anything else I'd know about Tiamat in the area, like if a band of hobgoblins worshipping Tiamat is unusual, etc.

Rolls

Hit dice recovery 1 - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Second recovery hit dice - (1d8)

(8) = 8

History check for Tiamat worship in the area - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Aug 14, 2015 11:21 am
Better him than you. You're no fun at all. I keep my thoughts to myself and shrug. "At least they had the decency to carry a bit of coin on them. It wasn't a complete waste of time." I sit down in the grass next to the tree and split the gold evenly, handing each party member their share.

Rolls

Hit dice recovery 1 - (1d8)

(6) = 6

Aug 14, 2015 12:56 pm
Rurik reflects on what he knows about Tiamat worship but can't recall anything particular to this area.
Aug 14, 2015 5:12 pm
Zaris rises from the ground and looks around at his companions. "I would suggest that we continue on to civilization and rest for the night. I for one am in need of a night's rest.
Aug 14, 2015 5:15 pm
"aye and it'll be nice to get away from the forests for once." I heave myself to my feet, joints popping and creaking audibly
Aug 14, 2015 10:50 pm
"That is a great idea, Zaris! We could all use a drink and some rest after such an eventful day. Lead the way!" I hum a jaunty tune as we continue on our journey.
Aug 15, 2015 2:16 am
I let the others go about their business as I carefully clean my blade. Slowly, ritualistic, I sheath my sword and loosen my shield as I close my eyes in silent contemplation and prayer, thanking Tyr for the opportunity to rid this realm of evil. To the untrained eye, it would seem my demeanor hadn't changed, but those who were more familiar with me would see a small smile creep across my face. Afterward, I compose myself, stoic as usual, and join my companions. "What do we have here?"
Aug 17, 2015 1:06 pm
OOC: lol Damn lengthy paladin contemplations.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.