Investigation on a stormy night

Mar 19, 2018 2:13 am
You pull up to the address you were told about. The light drizzle doesn't look promising as you look up as clouds seem to roll in and darken as the sun finally sets. At the door you see a familar face from a previous case when you hit the doorbell. They guide you into a couples living room. By the looks of the couple the wife clutching a dirty stuffed animal and the rigid jaw of the husband they both stand when they notice you finally. The man introduces himself with a sudden extended hand and firm handshake as Mr Pierce. The wife her eyes puffy and red stammers out Gloria eventually before burying her face in her husbands chest a silent sob escaping her open mouth her knuckles white against the clutched stuffed animal.
Remnant sent a note to Remnant
Mar 19, 2018 3:49 am
"Good evening to the both of you," Sal says flatly. "As you know my name is Sal Malo. I had you referred to me by a colleague who thought I might be able to help you. So, what might I be able to do in order to aid you?" He can't help but feel a certain sense of pity for the crying woman clutching the stuffed animal. The image is, if nothing else a bit pathetic, but in the way he'd always hoped his mother cared about him.
Mar 19, 2018 4:05 am
The man explains his wife was fixing lunch before she was going to go to the park with their son. She hadn't heard from him the last few times she called out for him and went to check on him. Looking in front of the TV and his room had her calling more loudly for him when she didn't see him. Looking outside she found one of his stuffed toys in the mud close to the street but no kid. She called her husband and he came home. The cops had been notified but with only a description of the boy they were searching but hadn't found anything. A friend of the family opted to suggest getting someone to focus on finding the boy. The cops might be doing their job but they had other things on their plate. The couple just wanted their boy back.
OOC:
Added the framework for the adventure for myself above. I'll share out once we're done. What would you like to do?
Mar 20, 2018 2:46 am
OOC:
Start asking questions, and start looking around
Sal watches the couple as they recount the story. Sometimes this job is the absolute pits, he thinks to himself. After they recount the recent events, Sal says,
OOC:
Also, I'd like to have Sal check for any body langauge that might say that the story being told isn't entirely on the up and up.
"My apologies to have to be here for such a problem. Its times like this where, if it were between working myself out of a job, or be busy, I'd take unemployment. Such as it is though, we have a real crisis to deal with. Do you folks mind if ask you some questions and/or look around a bit?"
Last edited March 20, 2018 2:51 am
Mar 20, 2018 1:06 pm
OOC:
Lets get a notice and/or streetwise checks.
The husband nods cradling his wife and looks ready to follow you around if you move around the house and seems ready to field any questions.
[ +- ] Notice vs Investigation vs Streetwise
Mar 22, 2018 1:05 am
OOC:
Streetwise and Notice
"I apologize in advance because some of what I'm about to ask you will probably be stuff you've already discussed," Sal says while getting a small notepad out of his pocket. He also discreetly hits record on his phone to make sure he captures the conversation. "Why don't we start at the beginning? When did you first notice there was a problem?"
Last edited March 22, 2018 1:10 am

Rolls

Notice - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Streetwise - (1d8)

(2) = 2

Mar 22, 2018 2:47 pm
The wife explain she was making lunch before they went to the park and their son seemed impatient to go. When he had fallen silent she called out to him since he wasn't complaining. He wasn't in front of the TV and he wasn't in his room she explained before looking at her husband explaining she check outside on a whim but the front door had been locked and she didn't think he would have just walked outside. The toy she had found she holds up explaining it was out in the yard close to the street. No one was around and she yelled out his name but got no answer and she came back inside calling her husband and then the police. An Amber alert had been sent out.
OOC:
Don't forget Investigator adds to your streetwise so it's a pass.
From the body language the wife feels guilty and thinks the husband blames her for what happened. The husband is just burnt out you think from the bags under his eyes he's probably been working late hours since the look on his face seems like the event really hadn't set in with him mentally.
Mar 24, 2018 5:07 am
"Hmmm...so based on where you found the toy its as if he'd simply walked outside via the front door and vanished near the street...," Sal says whil trailing off at the end. He scrutinizes his notebook a bit, and then looks back up at the couple. He makes sure to keep a sober, professional look on his face at all times. "May I see the toy you'd found by the street?"
OOC:
I'd like to have Sal have a look at it, and search for ripped seams or signs that someone may have pulled on it with some force.
Last edited March 24, 2018 5:08 am
Mar 24, 2018 1:34 pm
OOC:
Lets go with a notice on the inspection.
Mar 24, 2018 3:27 pm
Notice
OOC:
sneaking a quick roll in...
Last edited March 24, 2018 3:28 pm

Rolls

Notice - (1d8)

(4) = 4

Mar 24, 2018 5:39 pm
Looking over the animal it does look dirty but nothing major you think at first when you notice an odd stain. A quick sniff gives off the scent of tobacco and patchouli. Considering the stain you think chewing tabaco versus smoking. The smell reminds you of a place you been to in the city refered to as Mexicantown due to the high illegal hispanic population there.
Mar 25, 2018 2:54 am
"Do either of you smoke?" Sal asks flatly. He quickly jots down a note, and snaps a quick pic of the stain.
Mar 25, 2018 3:42 am
The wife shakes her head no and the husbands explained he tried it when he was a teenager.
Mar 26, 2018 3:27 am
He hands back the bear, and makes a note about neither parent smoking. "I have some other questions, but I imagine the police wne through the standard list already. So I'd like to ask a couple things," Sal says. "Where would your children most likely play when outside the home, and do you think you could approximate the spot you think where you found his toy? If possible, I'd like to go ahead and see these places. Perhaps after that we can just do a quick once over of the house, so I can see if there might be anything out of the ordinary."
Last edited March 26, 2018 3:28 am
Mar 26, 2018 1:09 pm
The wife speaks up as the husband seems lost as to how to answer. She explains she was going to take him to the local park in the area which was in walking distance. She shows you and the husband outside where she found the stuffed animal. They wait to see where else you'd like to see around the house.
OOC:
Finding the park she mentions is easily available via your smartphone looking on the map app.
Mar 27, 2018 2:59 am
Listening intently to the discussion, Sal puts the park into his GPS to go and have a look at it later. He also notes the exact area she indicates for the location of the stuffed animal. I can look there on my way to the park, he thinks forming a plan in his head. "Well, kids get into everything right? Let's have a look around the house. Anywhere you think your child may have spent time playing. I'd guess that's probably his room, your room, and any place else you think is relevant."
OOC:
My thinking here is that, I can look around the rooms they mention, and see if there is anything that might be of value to the investigation. Now, for a situation like this, would you prefer separate rolls, or just one for the whole search?
Mar 27, 2018 8:23 am
OOC:
let's get a notice and investigation roll.
Mar 28, 2018 3:12 am
Notice and investigation

Rolls

Notice - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Investigation - (1d8)

(5) = 5

Mar 28, 2018 2:19 pm
OOC:
Investigation rolls are also at a +2 from Investagor Edge.
The house doesn't reveal anything more really of note, although some things are out of place or messy it falls in line with having a child in the house not focused on being tidy. The stuff animal and walking around inside and outside of the house has you standing out in the street after looking for traffic before kneeling and looking at the side of the road in their grass and down the street.

You're getting the impression the stain of tobacco wasn't from someone the child knew and he possibly smacked someone in the face with his stuffed toy. Someone possibly pulled over quickly to grab the kid got hit with a stuff toy smacked it away and took the kid before driving off. You're looking for someone who has a rather unique taste and smelling chewing tobacco that wouldn't have a reason to be in this suburban area. This is definitely a kidnapping, where they headed besides away from the house and why escape you.

Mar 30, 2018 1:59 am
"Thank you for the tour of your house. You have a lovely home. For now, I'd like to start trying ask around some other places, see what the police have uncovered, and hit the streets. Out of curiosity though, could you recommend a good tobacconist?" Sal shakes their handles individually, and waits to see how they respond to his question. Although he has no reason to believe either parent smoked, it might lead to a place he could go and ask questions.
OOC:
The next stop is the park the mom indicated as being nearby. I'd like Sal to poke around, and see if there might be a particularly good vantage point of the park. Maybe even evidence of the kidnappers.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.