OOC Thread

Mar 20, 2018 8:44 pm
This is for OOC conversations and questions

To start, do you want to use level 0 characters?
Quote:
Pick one of three level 0 classes:
Warrior (proficiency in weapons and armor, d8 hit die)
Expert (More skill proficiencies, d6 hit die)
Adept (A couple of cantrips from a chosen caster class, d6 hit die)

As a benefit, you'd perhaps get to keep the initial hit points on top of the HP you gain when you become a level one plus a small bonus based on which level zero class you picked.

Example: Expert moves up to level one, gets to have one extra skill proficiency. Adept gets to have an extra cantrip. Something like that.
Those rules are not set in stone at all! If you have suggestions for anything, let me know!

Specifically looking for:
1. Level 0 Guidelines
2. House Rules
3. What you want to see in the game!
Mar 20, 2018 9:20 pm
Sure, let's go crazy with the level 0 characters. If we're doin', let's do!

What we see is maybe a bit of a light game framework (nothing crazy there) so we can handle the funky character advancement stuff as an experiment. Other than that, I'm pretty good.
Mar 21, 2018 3:25 am
I'm not opposed to Experts receiving two additional skill proficiencies, nor Adepts getting two cantrips. I'm not experienced in 0-level characters to know a lot, but it basically sounds like each archetype is a minor Feat (Skilled and Magic Initiate, respectively). And Warrior sounds a bit like Weapon Master.

Len

Mar 21, 2018 5:41 am
I think proficiency in simple weapons would be reasonable for the expert class so that they have something to do in combat other than hide.

Len

Mar 21, 2018 6:19 am
Do we at some point graduate from level 0 and take a class?

Len

Mar 21, 2018 6:31 am
In terms of a story, I think some kind of slum of a major city would be fun, where we are scraping to survive. Competing against ratmen and shit, maybe trying to start a criminal operation of some kind.
Mar 21, 2018 12:43 pm
You will eventually graduate to a level 1 classed character.

Ok, how's this sound?

Expert: Proficiency in light armor and simple weapons, 2 skill proficiencies

Adept: proficiency in simple weapons, 2 cantrips from a single class

Warrior: proficiency in light and medium armor, simple weapons, and _ martial weapons (thinking either 3, 4, or all)

Upon graduating to level 1:
Experts end up having one more skill than appropriate for their class
Adepts end up with one more cantrips than normal
Warriors get ???
Mar 21, 2018 12:58 pm
I'm basically trying to give you guys some sort of bonus (Aside from the extra HP that you get to keep) for starting at level 0 and working your way up :)

A slum wouldn't be a bad idea! Anyone else have an opinion?

Len

Mar 21, 2018 1:37 pm
Another option would be a frontier town at the beginning of a tumultuous change. Maybe some kind of gold rush type thing, only more fantasy-based - a recently discovered megadungeon or a gateway to a land of riches and danger. . Or, maybe war is on the horizon, or some other threat.

Len

Mar 21, 2018 1:40 pm
If we start a criminal organization it would be funny if we set it in Zakhara and called ourselves The Vipers in tribute of Naat's Al-Qadim game :)
Mar 21, 2018 2:14 pm
HAH, that could be a fun twist Len! Even blend the two! We could be the vipers and we've discovered a megadungeon full of gold and mummies and spooky things oh my.
Mar 21, 2018 2:30 pm
That would be truly entertaining lol

Speaking of megadungeons, I should probably toss you into one immediately!
Mar 21, 2018 2:33 pm
"Level 0 Superstar looks on as the massive tarrasque in the pit licks its chops. With a heavy thud, it slams into the wall of the coliseum sending quakes through the structure. Ahyup. Baker by day, dead swordslinger by night. Just my damned luck. he mutters, staring down at his half-rusted short sword."
Mar 21, 2018 2:40 pm
Level 0 proficiency @ +1, possibly? That way you get slightly more proficient when you bump to Level 1?
Mar 21, 2018 2:43 pm
Dramasailor says:
Level 0 proficiency @ +1, possibly? That way you get slightly more proficient when you bump to Level 1?
I was considering that as an option, yes, though even CR 0 commoners have a +2 proficiency bonus so I wasn't sure
Mar 21, 2018 3:03 pm
Hmm, in that case, 2 would probably make sense. I'm kind of surprised they gave them a +2 prof as well. I'm good with either, really.

Len

Mar 21, 2018 3:55 pm
I think the idea of a dungeon being nearby is a fun idea. We would see all sorts of adventurers coming back with treasures, create a marketplace for services. We could even get hired on as hirelings haha, asked to mop up battles or soften up targets for a round or two. Carry loot back.

We could either grow up to become dungeon delvers or try to run a business that caters to the adventurer market. I could see working for a magic armour and weapons dealer that rents armour to adventurers. It might be our job to recover rented equipment when our customers perish.
Mar 21, 2018 4:57 pm
That would be cool! I do really like the whole "go get our rented stuff back" line. The Recovery Squad. We offer programs where if you don't return by a certain time, we'll send people to recover your body and our gear.
Mar 21, 2018 5:09 pm
Ohh! How about something like the Caves of Chaos from old-school? A bunch of different dungeons nearby, all supporting various different habitats with different creatures!
Mar 21, 2018 5:29 pm
Naatkinson says:
You will eventually graduate to a level 1 classed character.

Ok, how's this sound?

Expert: Proficiency in light armor and simple weapons, 2 skill proficiencies

Adept: proficiency in simple weapons, 2 cantrips from a single class

Warrior: proficiency in light and medium armor, simple weapons, and _ martial weapons (thinking either 3, 4, or all)

Upon graduating to level 1:
Experts end up having one more skill than appropriate for their class
Adepts end up with one more cantrips than normal
Warriors get ???
I'd figure Warriors could start with 3 martial weapons (similar to Weapon Master feat).

As for moving to level 1, I'm thinking that most players would pick one of the fighter classes if they started at Warrior, so they'd already get access to martial weapons. Not saying that's the only choice, of course, but if someone starts as a warrior it seems natural they'd stick to it. What if a Warrior instead gets expertise in one weapon of choice? This is a modification of the Weapon Mastery Feats from the UA: Feats article.

We could pick one weapon and one benefit from the feats and make that a graduation bonus. For example, a Warrior could pick one of the Fell Handed weapons (handaxe, battleaxe, greataxe, warhammer, or maul) and pick one of the benefits (+1 attack, knockdown chance on advantage, disadvantage bonus, or help bonus), and they would have this benefit whenever they used that specific weapon. It feels like an equivalent to one extra cantrip or one extra skill in terms of applicability, at least.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.