Prologue: Initiation

Apr 10, 2018 8:57 pm
"Well," the dwarf, Drek Hammerfist by name, says, looking from your applications to your faces and then back again, "Hmm," he muses, eyes flicking back and forth once more.

Seated on the other side of the desk from Drek, you have a moment to look around the small room you're in. This room, located on the lowest level of the Ebongarde's tower here in Teley is small and sparsely decorated, consisting of only a few chairs, a small desk, and a suit of armor, a shield, and an axe on stands in the corner. The only thing adorning the walls is a small window that lets in enough of the morning light for the dwarf to read your applications.

"I s'pose everythin' is in order," he says reluctantly as he reads it all over once more to be sure, stamping the papers before him and then looking up at you, "Now, yer not full members yet. Not even initia... init.... trainees yet, really! Ye just got a chance to prove yerselfs worthy o' the chance." he finishes, stumbling over the word "Initiates"

Now that the paperwork is done, he smiles widely and reaches under his desk to pull out four mugs and fills them with ale, "Drink up, get yer courage up, and then we'll talk about yer first job."
Apr 10, 2018 10:34 pm
Krogir-Vaam sits uncomfortably, long legs pressing up against his chest and his kidneys suffering from the constant jabbing of the chair back. It didn't help that this whole round of paperwork took way too long for the goliath's liking.

Glad to find that things are finally progressing, Krogir-Vaam reaches for the mug with his large hand, and drains the contents down his throat.
Apr 11, 2018 6:09 am
In contrast, Seraphina strains to stand tall on her chair, and almost manages to look like a seated human. She eyes her mug with a skeptical scorn.

"Courage!" she scoffs, sending her fiery curls bouncing around her ears. Courage was the last thing they needed right now. A level head, a healthy respect for danger, and a realistic world view were much higher on her list of useful attributes.

She curtly pushes the mug back to the dwarf. "Won't be needing that, thank you very much!" Ale was for celebrating, and they hadn't done anything worth celebrating yet. Better to keep her head clear and reflexes sharp.

"Please continue with what our job entails, Drek of the Hammerfist Clan."
Apr 11, 2018 11:32 am
Go talk to the Ebongarde folks Feldty. I'm going off to a summit and they dont allow apprentices. Maybe Drek can find a use for you while I'm gone, lest you blow up my tower. Those were Horatio's words a tenday ago. Thus Englefeldt found himself the middle stick between the halfling and the goliath in the Ebongarde office.
[ +- ] Dwarvish
He offers in dwarvish lifting the cup in salute to Drek.

I confess myself as interested as - ah - sorry, I missed your name? he says to Seraphina. I'm Englefeldt Hartman, scholar and apprentice to Horatio Bluebottle. Since I seem to have forgotten my own introductions.
Apr 11, 2018 3:02 pm
She examines Englefeldt with a suspicious eye. Finding no immediate concerns, a thinking that a wizard's apprentice might a useful person to have around, she replies: "Seraphina." She gestures to the goliath: "Krogir-Vaam."

"Wizard's apprentice, great. You know some spells yet?"
Last edited April 11, 2018 4:54 pm
Apr 11, 2018 4:05 pm
Aye! A few small ones. I can keep outfits free of muck and yuck, make food taste better, create temporary sigils on surfaces. Things like that. Also learned one super useful one to keep me safe when I go gathering things for Master Bluebottle. he says, happy that someone is interested in his magical "prowess". As way of example, he mutters his words a few times, first cooling Seraphina's shirt, then warming it, before letting the effect fade away. Finally, he turns his hand up and summons the image of a running horse on his palm.

The warming and cooling is a fun trick. Useful when you just can't fall asleep properly and need to get your pillow cool or your soup needs rewarming after sitting out for too long. I can usually keep three different things either cooled or warmed at one time, though it's a bit of a challenge. he says happily as the horse fades away.
Apr 11, 2018 4:37 pm
Krogir-Vaam ignores the apprentice's gestures, and seemingly the man himself, reaching over and across the Englefeldt's personal space for Seraphina's mug.

Emptying the mug of ale, the goliath burps.
Apr 11, 2018 4:59 pm
Drek looks shocked as Seraphina refuses the drink. After the shock passes, he reaches over to grab the mug only to find that Krogir-Vaam has already finished it off. He looks irritated for a moment before he breaks into laughter, "Bwahahaha! I like you, Kro!"

After he finishes laughing, he pours himself and 'Kro' another drink before speaking, "Well, since yer so new, we'll make it a simple one, eh?" he begins, stopping a couple of times to drink and flipping through a couple of sheets of parchment and pulling one out, "Here we are! Old Mister Woodward - ye know, the one who's farm's furthest from town? - He came in an' said that he's been hearin' noises at night time. Now he says he seen someone sneakin' 'round his property and wants someone to check it out."

He gives you a minute to absorb the information, "Ye think yer up for it or ye wanna quit now?"
Apr 11, 2018 5:25 pm
"Sneak round Mister Woodward's town, got it," says Krogir-Vaam.
Apr 11, 2018 6:46 pm
Anyone in particular we should report the sneaking persons to? Or can we let - um - Krogir-Vaam here whallop on them? Englefeldt says, scrunching his face while trying to remember the name.
Apr 11, 2018 6:53 pm
"Report Mister Woodward for sneaking, got it," says Krogir-Vaam. "Or whallop."
Apr 11, 2018 7:22 pm
Drek shrugs, "Bring 'em in here alive if ye can," he says, "Can't question 'em if they're dead! If you wanna rough 'em up a bit, go ahead. If they're found guilty o' somethin', they'll probably have to pay... or be sent to the Pits."
[ +- ] The Pits
Apr 11, 2018 9:46 pm
Dramasailor says:
Aye! A few small ones. I can keep outfits free of muck and yuck, make food taste better ...
Seraphina bit her lower lip, struggling to come up with a way to make use of Englefeldt's abilities. They weren't useless; you could be quite the launderer or chef with powers like that. Maybe a good cabin boy on a ship.

"Hmm. Got anything a little more .... violent? Oh, can you turn invisible maybe?"
Last edited April 11, 2018 9:47 pm
Apr 11, 2018 10:01 pm
CancerMan says:
"Report Mister Woodward for sneaking, got it," says Krogir-Vaam. "Or whallop."
Seraphina stands on her tippy-toes and gives Krogir-Vaam a reassuring pat on his shoulders. She quests for his mind and speaks to him telepathically.
[ +- ] Telepathy
She gives him a smile. Then, she turns back to Hammerfist.

"So we bring back this ragamuffin to the tower, and we're in? Full members?"
Apr 11, 2018 10:50 pm
Huh. That wasn't what Krogir-Vaam heard at all. Still, Seraphina's the smart one, and she understands the small-person talk much better than he can.
Apr 12, 2018 1:22 am
A twisted little smile crosses Englefeldt's face. The one I have that keeps me safe is a bit more - ah - violent you could say. Perhaps the frosty grip of my arcana may snag this sneaking person at the farm. he says, excited by the prospect.
Apr 12, 2018 6:18 am
"Frosty Grip? Now that's more like it."

Seraphina imagines a giant icy hand reaching out and grabbing a hapless victim who squeals for help as it hoists them in the air. She nods in approval.

She turns to Krogir-Vaam. Gesturing to Engleldt, she mentally projects:

"This guy can whallop pretty good, but with magic. He knows the Frosty Grip spell"
OOC:
I think I'll go with italics rather than spoiler tags for the Ghostwise Halfling telepathy.
Last edited April 12, 2018 6:19 am
Apr 12, 2018 6:39 am
Krogir-Vaam grunts, seemingly in agreement.
Apr 13, 2018 2:24 am
Well then, it would seem that we're all in agreement in some fashion. Should we depart now - ah - friends? he says, looking at the small bag with his meager belongings at his feet.
Apr 13, 2018 4:40 am
"Right we shall, friend!"

She hops down from the chair, turns to Englefeldt and projects into his mind:

"If you ever think of selling us out, remember I can kill you with my mind."

She winks at him mischievously and heads out the door in the direction of the Woodward farm.

"So I figure we talk to Mister Woodward first, get the story straight from the source."
Apr 13, 2018 5:09 am
Krogir-Vaam stands, to the relief of the chair, and picks up a large pack and other implements of work. He follows Seraphina out like a loyal dog.
Apr 13, 2018 7:41 pm
Drek gets up and follows you to the door, leaning in to Seraphina just before she leaves, "Keep an eye on that one, eh?" he says, indicating Krogir-Vaam.

As you head out of the north gate, you pass a couple of farmers heading into town to get supplies. It takes most of an hour to reach the Woodward farm, a slightly run-down place with just a few small fields on the property. Mister Woodward is known for being a loner who does not like company.

As you approach his home, you can hear movement from the inside, as well as the clanging of metal on metal and then a curse.
Apr 13, 2018 7:52 pm
Krogir-Vaam loosens the strap on his portable battering ram and holds it ready. He looks to Seraphina for the signal.
Apr 13, 2018 9:51 pm
She touches the business end of her friend's weapon and lowers it.

"Let's try knocking first. It's probably just Mister Woodward inside. Hey Englefeldt, go knock on the door. We'll stand back here and cover you in case something goes wrong."

Seraphina dons her shield and loads her sling. She cracks her neck left, then right, and shakes out her legs to loosen up a bit in case Englefeldt gets killed and they have to run away really fast.
Apr 14, 2018 1:55 am
Oh yes, the scholar first. The rightly way of the world. he says, winking at Seraphina quickly before making his way to the door. He raises a hand and knocks firmly.

Mister Woodward, we've been sent to help you, if you'd be so kind to let us sit a spell? We'd only like to ask about why you contacted Ebongarde.
Apr 17, 2018 3:16 pm
Just a few moments after Englefeldt finishes speaking, you hear footsteps and then the door swings open to reveal Mister Woodward, an ancient man with leather-like skin and a perpetual scowl on his face, "Aye, I been expectin' you! Come in, come in," he says, turning around and walking inside to sit in the single chair in the room.

The home is sparsely decorated, consisting of a small table, a single chair, a cot in the corner, a woodstove with a pot of what's left of his breakfast on it, and a couple of cabinets.

"So... yer the best them Ebongarde folks could get fer me?" he says, looking the three of you up and down, "I was expectin' some sort of adventurin' types..."
Apr 17, 2018 4:23 pm
Krogir-Vaam stows his battering ram, stares at the doorway and the small room within, and decides to stay outside.
Apr 18, 2018 1:26 am
Every adventure starts off with a first step Mister Woodward. Drek and the fine Ebongarde folk trust us with this, I hope you'll find their trust well-placed. Englefeldt says as he walks into the sparse room, eyes flickering quickly over the contents. We were hoping you could tell us a bit more. Drek mentioned you saw someone sneaking around. Could you show us where you spotted this sneak?
Apr 18, 2018 2:15 am
Seraphina is busy standing down, putting away her sling and Shield. She projects to Krogir-Vaam:

Let's let the wizard do the talking. Hey, lift me up on the roof! I'll survey the terrain from upon high.
OOC:
Once upon the roof, Seraphina will note the various buildings that are on the property, the best ways on and off the property, and any unusual sights. I'll add a d20 roll in case you need one

Rolls

D20 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Apr 18, 2018 2:56 am
With practiced ease, Krogir-Vaam stoops briefly to hook Seraphina's foot in his large hand, then straightens with extended arm above his head to allow her to step off onto the roof.
Apr 18, 2018 4:29 pm
Mister Woodward snorts and waves Englefeldt's 'trust' speech away, "Ain't got much of a choice, do I?" he asks rhetorically, reaching out for a cup of water on the table and taking a long swallow, "Aye, follow me, then."

With that, he stands up and begins walking out the door.

From the rood, Seraphina can see the whole of the property, which isn't much. There are a few small fields, a small shed around the back of his home, and a barn about 100 feet away to the north.
OOC:
Englefeldt: Roll me an Insight check
Seraphina: Roll me a Perception Check
Apr 18, 2018 4:33 pm
The goliath remains by the house, one arm raised like a statue.
Apr 18, 2018 4:58 pm
Seraphina squints against the morning sun, peering with skepticism at everything.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

Apr 18, 2018 8:22 pm
Englefeldt listens quietly as Woodward has his moment of cynicism.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

Apr 18, 2018 8:28 pm
Seraphina doesn't see anything out of the ordinary from her perch.

Englefeldt, having known Mister Woodward for many years, feels like something is off about him. He's crotchety as usual, but there's something - perhaps the way he moves or the look in his eye - that gives him the impression that there's something deeper going wrong here.
Apr 18, 2018 9:07 pm
This isn't normal... he thinks quietly to himself as they walk out.

One moment, sir. he says, turning to look at Seraphina. Anything look extra special out of the ordinary? he says, trying to point over towards Mister Woodward, using his body to shield the signals from Woodward's view. That whole speaking into each other's head thing would be really useful right now Seraphina. Something is off with Woodward and I have no good way of telling you. Please pick up on this!
Apr 18, 2018 11:00 pm
Seraphina climbs down from the roof to Krogir-Vaam's waiting hand.

Thank you, friend. she whispers in Krogir-Vaam's mind.

"Nope, absolutely nothing out of the ordinary here at this time. I am certain!"
Apr 18, 2018 11:57 pm
Krogir-Vaam sets Seraphina down on the ground. He straightens, empty-handed and waiting.
Apr 24, 2018 1:10 am
"Over here, then," Mister Woodward says, leading you toward the barn. The crops on the way look to be only barely alive, though it's right in the middle of the season.

As you reach the barn, Mister Woodward stops and points toward the back corner, "Saw shapes out back the past couple of nights and heard weird noises."
OOC:
Describe what you do and give me a perception check. Do you go in or around the back? On top? Etc?
Apr 24, 2018 2:11 am
The goliath enters the barn, looking towards the back corner. Yes, the interior back corner.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20-1)

(4) - 1 = 3

Apr 24, 2018 1:54 pm
Weird noises? What kind of weird noises? Englefeldt says as he looks around the barn. He pokes his head in only, looking about, before heading toward the back along the outside.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Apr 24, 2018 5:13 pm
Seraphina goes in the front with Krogir-Vaam, a couple steps behind. She has her shield out and sling drawn and loaded, and she squints suspiciously at everything as if walking into a mimic farm.
OOC:
Sick today, crawling back in bed. Will try to post tomorrow!

Rolls

perception - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Apr 28, 2018 6:46 pm
Seraphina and Krogir-Vaam move to the inside of the barn and begin looking about, but don't immediately spot anything as they move about the interior. They spot some tracks in the slightly dusty interior, but they could just as easily be Mister Woodward's as they could be from an intruder.

Inside are a number of farming implements; hoes, wheelbarrows, shovels, rakes, etc. You also see that one corner of the barn is empty and there are a couple of planks and a hammer sitting on the ground next to it. It appears that the wood in the corner is rotted and Mister Woodward is going to be replacing it.

As she digs deeper into the stuff in the barn, she sees what looks like a bone sticking out from under a tarp in the corner. Looking under the tarp, she sees a pile of human bones, slightly gnawed on, but lacking even a hint of flesh.

Englefeldt moves around the back after a quick look inside and hears Mister Woodward following behind him, "Scraping, stomping, and some sort of weird talkin."

Rolls

Stealth? - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Attack w/ advantage - (1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d4+2)

1d20+4 : (17) + 4 = 21

1d20+4 : (9) + 4 = 13

1d4+2 : (1) + 2 = 3

Apr 28, 2018 6:53 pm
As Englefeldt is looking around the back side of the barn, something suddenly slams into his back, sending him staggering forward. He turns to see Mister Woodward's face transforming. Sharp teeth begin to fill his mouth and his eyes take on a reddish tint and grow larger. Seraphina and Krogir-Vaam don't hear the attack happening outside.

"Dinner time," the monster hisses softly as it moves in closer for another attack.

Rolls

Mister Woodward Initiative - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

Party Initiative - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Apr 28, 2018 6:56 pm
Round One: Mister Woodward
Mister Woodward advances once more upon Englefeldt and launches a swing at the scholar's face, looking to take him down. Englefeldt manages to just barely duck back from the blow and feels a rush of wind over his head as the fist passes inches from his nose.

Battlefield Features:
Assorted farming implements inside the barn (Pretty much anything within reason)
Slightly rotted wall of the barn - Marked by a dotted border in the northwest corner

Map
OOC:
We can probably assume that Englefeldt cries out a warning as this happens if you'd like, so the two inside will be aware of trouble outside

Player turn!

Rolls

Attack on Englefeldt - (1d20+4, 1d4+2)

1d20+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

1d4+2 : (2) + 2 = 4

Apr 29, 2018 6:42 am
Krogir-Vaam unslings his maul and turns, plodding his way outside for the noise of trouble. Looking for culprits, he heads directly for any conflict.
OOC:
Using my movement to get into the thick of things, Dash if necessary.
Apr 29, 2018 2:27 pm
Seraphina scurries after Krogir-Vaam as fast as her little legs can carry her, biting her lip in a look of concern.
OOC:
If Seraphina can get within 30 feet and line of sight with anything that looks hostile, she'll loose a stone from her sling. I'll include a roll for expedience's sake.

If I can't get within 30 feet or line of sight, I'll use dash to keep up with Krogir-Vaam, but only to get within 30 feet of a hostile.

Rolls

Maybe a sling attack (bludgeoning, 30/120 range) - (1d20+3, 1d4+1)

1d20+3 : (8) + 3 = 11

1d4+1 : (4) + 1 = 5

Apr 29, 2018 5:34 pm
Round One: Krogir-Vaam and Seraphina
Krogir-Vaam and Seraphina rush outside to see what the trouble is and see that Englefeldt and Mister Woodward seem to be in a fight for their life. Mister Woodward's features are distorted and you can see he has fangs and red glowing eyes now.

Krogir-Vaam moves to close the distance, getting nearly there as Seraphina's sling bullet goes flying by him, narrowly missing Mister Woodward as he lunges for Englefeldt again.

Battlefield Features:
Assorted farming implements inside the barn (Pretty much anything within reason)
Slightly rotted wall of the barn - Marked by a dotted border in the northwest corner

Foes
Mister Woodward: No damage

Map
OOC:
Englefeldt still has a turn remaining
Apr 29, 2018 6:07 pm
"What the fuck, Mister Woodward!? We're gonna burn your gods-dammed barn to ground if you hurt a hair on his head!"

And to Englefeldt, telepathically :

Frosty Grip his ass!
Apr 30, 2018 3:09 pm
Englefeldt leaps backwards, trying his best to avoid taking another swipe!

I need to be away from that beast's claws to do much good with my spells! he says as he runs past Krogir

Taking action to Disengage. Moving
3/6 HP | 10 AC
Apr 30, 2018 3:37 pm
Round One: Englefeldt
Wanting to get out of the monster's reach, Englefeldt turns and runs, darting past Krogir-Vaam.

Battlefield Features:

Foes

Map
Apr 30, 2018 3:38 pm
Round Two: Mister Woodward
Mister Woodward's distorted face turns to Krogir-Vaam and smiles, "A big snack first, then!" he cackles, moving to swing at the goliath. His arm strikes Krogir-Vaam in the face hard with a heavy thud.

Battlefield Features:

Foes

Map
OOC:
Player Turn!

Rolls

Attack on Krogir-Vaam - (1d20+4, 1d4+2)

1d20+4 : (11) + 4 = 15

1d4+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

Apr 30, 2018 4:41 pm
Krogir-Vaam reels, the impact much more than he expected. "That hurt," he says, retaliating with a swing of his maul.

Rolls

Maul, Bludgeoning Damage - (1d20+3, 2d6+1)

1d20+3 : (15) + 3 = 18

2d6+1 : (16) + 1 = 8

Apr 30, 2018 5:39 pm
Englefeldt's eyes glaze over a pale blue white as silvery swirls of fog roll down his arms. His hands trace a circle in the air before he thrusts one hand up, clenching as if grabbing something. Bevroren vuist! he calls out, causing a ghostly skeletal hand to swirl up out of the ground at Woodward's feet.

Casting chill touch. Necrotic damage and can't regain HP until my next turn on hit. If the target is undead, it has D/A on attacks against me until my next turn as well.
3/6 HP | 10 AC
Last edited April 30, 2018 8:04 pm

Rolls

Chill Touch - (1d20+3, 1d8)

1d20+3 : (15) + 3 = 18

1d8 : (7) = 7

Apr 30, 2018 7:39 pm
Round Two: Krogir and Englefeldt
Krogir retaliates strongly, striking the 'old man' in his chest. You hear a loud crack as the weapon strikes, but it doesn't really seem to slow him down all that much.

Englefeldt's skeletal hand seizes Mister Woodward and his flesh around the area begins to rot, but he remains standing.

Battlefield Features:

Foes
Mister Woodward: 15 damage

Map
OOC:
Seraphina's turn is next!

Also, Englefeldt should have 3 HP left. You have it listed as 6 on your stats blurb :)
Apr 30, 2018 8:08 pm
OOC:
Fixed. i had put that in and then left the page and had to rebuild my post and forgot to change it. lol
May 1, 2018 1:14 am
Seraphina sees KV take a deep wound, and her protective instincts override her self-preservation instincts. She charges forward, sling whistling. She looses her stone, and then in one swift motion stashes her sling in her belt while closing toward the enemy, her wooden shield breaking the wind as she charged.
OOC:
Action: sling attack. Move 25 feet toward Woodward. Interaction to stow sling.

HP: 8/8, AC 16

Rolls

Sling! - (1d20+3, 1d4+1)

1d20+3 : (8) + 3 = 11

1d4+1 : (3) + 1 = 4

May 1, 2018 4:19 pm
Round Two: Seraphina
Her rush of movement throwing her aim off slightly, the stone from Seraphina's sling goes sailing right past Mister Woodward's ear.

Battlefield Features:

Foes

Map
OOC:
So close to hitting, again!

Enemy Turn!
May 1, 2018 5:12 pm
Round Three: Mister Woodward
Mister Woodward smells blood and continues his vicious assault on Krogir. This time he catches Krogir on the side of the head with a tremendous amount of force.

Battlefield Features:

Foes

Map
OOC:
Player Turn!

Krogir: Don't forget about your Goliath damage reduction ability!

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4, 1d4+2)

1d20+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

1d4+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

May 1, 2018 5:32 pm
OOC:
I have AC 11; Hide armor (12) + Dex (-1). But I did forget about Stone's Endurance!
Krogir-Vaam flinches, just enough to recoil out of the way of the heavy fist. With a grunt, he twists his body to bring the maul around for another blow.
[ +- ] [url=https://gamersplane.com/characters/dnd5/7046/
Last edited May 1, 2018 5:33 pm

Rolls

Maul, Bludgeoning Damage - (1d20+3, 2d6+1)

1d20+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

2d6+1 : (11) + 1 = 3

May 1, 2018 10:22 pm
As Mister Woodward dodges under Krogir-Vaam's mighty sledge, Seraphina darts underneath, drawing her shortsword. She lets loose a mighty war scream (which sounds like an angry My Little Pony character) and stabs at that mean old Mister Woodward.

"DON'T YOU HURT MY FRIEND!"

Rolls

Shortsword (piercing) - (1d20+3, 1d6+1)

1d20+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

1d6+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

May 2, 2018 1:53 am
I said, bevroren vuist you damned fiend! BEVROREN VUIST! he says, feeling the pain in his ribs as he raises his hands again, sending another chilly grip at the man.

Casting chill touch. Necrotic damage and can't regain HP until my next turn on hit. If the target is undead, it has D/A on attacks against me until my next turn as well.
3/6 HP | 10 AC

Rolls

Chill Touch - (1d20+3, 1d8)

1d20+3 : (10) + 3 = 13

1d8 : (7) = 7

May 2, 2018 5:28 pm
Round Three: Players
Krogir's avoidance of the blow throws off his aim and his swing goes wide of the target.

Seraphina stabs at the monstrous form of Mister Woodward, but he is quicker than he would appear and manages to twist out of the way of the attack.

He has less luck against Englefeldt's magical attack as the ghostly hand wraps around his neck and begins rotting the flesh there. After a couple moments of this, the glow leaves his eyes and he falls limply to the ground.

Battlefield Features:

Foes
Mister Woodward: DEAD

Map
OOC:
You won!
May 2, 2018 5:36 pm
Krogir-Vaam lifts his maul high, ready to smash should the need arise. "Report Mister Woodward for sneaking," he intones, "or wallop."
May 2, 2018 8:05 pm
We should check to see if he has anything on his person that needs to be collected. Make sure no one is in the house proper. Englefeldt says as he tenderly touches his ribs. After that, you can certainly wallop.
May 7, 2018 8:36 pm
You look over the body and find nothing of value, but you do find the severed finger of an old man in a pouch at its side.

Looking through the barn, you find the set of bones that Seraphina had stumbled upon before (make me a medicine check!) and find them gnawed upon, but bereft of any flesh.

The house has little of real value; pots and pans, well-worn clothing, a hammer, needle and thread, and a pouch containing 7 gp, 12 sp, and 26 cp in it.
May 7, 2018 11:07 pm
Seraphina strikes up a convo with Englefeldt after searching the place from top to bottom.

"Okay, so you're pretty smart. Tell me, how do we explain to the guild that Mister Woodward was actually the monster? I mean, they might think we just killed him. Which we did, of course. But he deserved it."

"Also, according to the law, how to we go about acquiring this farm? I mean, it would be convenient if he had a will lying around that bequeathed it to his dear friend Englefeldt, dontcha think?"

She gives Englefeldt an exaggerated wink.

"We can sell it! Or rent it? Or at least turn it into our headquarters. Every adventuring team worth its salt has a headquarters!"
Last edited May 7, 2018 11:10 pm

Rolls

medicine - (1d20+1)

(17) + 1 = 18

May 7, 2018 11:09 pm
"Hey Krogir-Vaam, how close are you to buying that armor in town you were looking at?"

To everyone, she says:

"I make a motion to invest the proceeds from this adventure into upgrading our heavy-hitter's armor!"
May 7, 2018 11:28 pm
Krogir-Vaam looks at the face of the deceased Mister Woodward, as his brain attempts to resolve the question of whether or not the farmer still looks human. His maul is put away, and regardless of his rudimentary visual assessment, he grabs the corpse's foot and begins to drag the body around to the front of the barn.
Last edited May 7, 2018 11:29 pm
May 7, 2018 11:48 pm
As Seraphina looks the bones over, she makes the connection that they seem relatively fresh and that they appear to be about the right size for someone of Mister Woodward's stature...
May 8, 2018 2:23 am
I think we start by bringing the bones back. I'm sure that someone else in town would have magics that can get information from them. I know Horatio had been corresponding with some old cleric he'd adventured with ages ago. Seems the priest had found a way to speak to dead bodies. If we could find a priest like that, they could maybe do the same! he says, excitedly. And it would be very nice to have a quaint little farm all our own. At least a place to sleep, and where Krogir could train some. We should ask back in town! I could build my own library some day....
May 10, 2018 8:36 pm
OOC:
Heading straight back to town now?
May 10, 2018 9:09 pm
Krogir-Vaam follows everyone when it's time to return to town, and he drags the corpse by the leg the entire way.
May 12, 2018 6:53 pm
Seraphina finds a cart and an crotchety old mule in the barn* and loads up the bones into the cart. Krogir-Vaam seems content to drag the monster's corpse back to town on his own. She tries feeding it a few vegetables she's found lying around the root cellar to coax it into helping them.

As they're loading up the bones, she asks Englefeldt "Hey, how come you didn't figure out Mr. Woodward was the monster? Aren't you supposed to be really smart or something? And hey - why didn't you use your Frosty Grip spell?"
* does 'contains pretty much anything within reason' still apply? :)

Rolls

Animal handling - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

May 13, 2018 12:17 am
Should there be a lack of a mule, Krogir-Vaam takes the role of pack animal and pulls the cart. He doesn't seem inconvenienced, thanks to his powerful build.
May 13, 2018 1:05 am
Seraphina doesn't find the mule in the shed, but out back chewing on grass. It seems that the creature had a preference for humanoid flesh or it probably would have eaten the mule, too.

As you head back into town, you draw the attention of some villagers who are confused by seeing you with Woodward's mule and cart, but don't really ask any questions. Eventually, you reach the tower of the Ebongarde.
May 13, 2018 1:09 am
Krogir-Vaam drops the corpse's leg and readies his portable ram to knock open the door.
May 18, 2018 6:36 pm
OOC:
How do you approach? Do you leave the cart with the body outside or do you post a guard at the body?
May 18, 2018 8:51 pm
Krogir-Vaam doesn't think anything about guarding the wagon nor the body, and walks right up to the door to knock forcefully.
May 19, 2018 4:24 am
"I'll stay here while you two go in. Englefeldt, you should really get to know Krogir-Vaam if we're going to be working together. This might be a nice chance to find common ground."

Seraphina goes back to petting the mule.
May 19, 2018 6:27 pm
Fair enough Seraphina. I agree, by the way. Let's see how this goes.... he says, allowing his voice to trail off as he moves next to Krogir, waiting for the door to be answered.
May 20, 2018 2:54 am
Krogir-Vaam knocks on the door... using his portable ram.
May 20, 2018 3:25 am
The door opens and you see Drek standing in the doorway, "Ah, ye're back. Well, come on in," he says, leading you to his small office, "So, what did you find?"
May 20, 2018 7:31 am
"Mister Woodward," says Krogir-Vaam, following Drek into the office. "Smashed him."
May 21, 2018 5:20 pm
Krogir is right, in the barest of sense Drek. Turns out that Mister Woodward, the proper Mister Woodward, was killed not too long ago. A nasty shapeshifting creature of some sort had taken his place and used the story of sounds and what not to lure us out there as food. We managed to kill the creature off, though it got a few good blows in. Englefeldt says, absent-mindedly rubbing his ribs where he'd taken a hit.

We brought the remains of what we figured was Mister Woodward, hoping a priest may be able to help verify our findings. Krogir here also brought back the body of the beast that had been playing Mister Woodward, so anyone with knowledge of such devilry could study him - er - it, as well.
May 21, 2018 8:46 pm
When Krogir first tells Drek what happens, his jaw drops and his face turns an angry red. He looks like he's about to shout, until Englefeldt is able to speak and tell him what happened in detail. After listening, Drek nods, "I ken understand that, I think. Unfortunate, it be, but it kinna be helped. I ken fetch Linnel and see if she's able ta contact Mister Woodward's spirit ta git some answers."

"Any of ye badly wounded? Linnel's a good hand for healin', too," he says, looking at your disheveled appearances.
May 21, 2018 8:56 pm
Krogir-Vaam feels his face, as though reminded of the wicked bruise he suffered. "Yes."
May 26, 2018 7:19 pm
"Wait here," Drek says, leaving the room. He returns a short time later with a beautiful, and very tall, elf in tow. He's dressed in pure white and loose fitting clothes. She spends some time gently tending to all of your wounds.
OOC:
You're fully healed!
Once you're tended to, she heads outside and inspects the corpse of "Mister Woodward". Shaking her head, she returns inside, "Nothing I've seen before," she says in a soft, lyrical voice, "We'll have to get some experts out here to take a look. For now, get some rest, you've earned it."
OOC:
Advance to level 1! Gain one point to place in any ability score you want to :-)

Add your level 1 HP onto whatever you had before
May 26, 2018 8:55 pm
When everyone emerges from the tower of the Ebongarde, they see that Seraphina has been working hard to place wards around the dead body of the monster. She has surrounded the body in hazia petals and placed smooth stones over its eyes, including its third eye. She has spoken the solemn words of the Ghostwise that her mother's mother taught her.

The mule is grazing gently by the side of the road, and Seraphina is brushing the nettles from its tangled, matted hair.

"I'm gonna call him Moonbeam!" she says excitedly to her compatriots.
OOC:
What a rough week. Put a smile on my face when I logged in to see we advanced to level 1! Thanks Naat. Seraphina is now a Ranger!
May 29, 2018 2:14 pm
Many thanks ma'am. That was, that was some kind of special magic, to be sure. Englefeldt says, feeling very refreshed.
OOC:
I will deal with leveling up a bit later today. Need to refresh myself on my plan!
May 29, 2018 6:47 pm
Krogir-Vaam takes his rest where he can, going so far as to sit on the floor of Drek's office.
[ +- ] [url=https://gamersplane.com/characters/dnd5/7046/
OOC:
Using the ideas in the OOC thread, I took Fell Handed for the maul, with the +1 attack bonus. Took Fighter as my class.
May 29, 2018 7:08 pm
OOC:
Yes! As a reminder:
Experts end up with one more skill than normal, Adepts end up with one more cantrip than normal, and Warriors get to pick a single effect from one of those UA feats to receive as a bonus

Len

May 29, 2018 10:22 pm
OOC:
Effects are only for melee weapons, or can I choose a ranged weapon?
Last edited May 29, 2018 10:23 pm
Jun 4, 2018 8:38 pm
lenpelletier says:
OOC:
Effects are only for melee weapons, or can I choose a ranged weapon?
OOC:
Wow, I missed this! Did you have any idea what you want to pick? I'm not opposed to ranged weapons getting a cool effect :)

Len

Jun 4, 2018 11:01 pm
OOC:
No worries! I guess i'd go with the sling and keep it simple with a +1 bonus

Len

Jun 17, 2018 2:03 am
OOC:
If you guys don't mind I'll switch up the Warrior bonus to a melee weapon after all. I'll go with the +1 to short swords.
Jun 17, 2018 2:06 am
"Say, Drek" Seraphina calls out. "What's the law say about Woodward's farm? It ours now? We killed his murderer, fair and square. Did the community a service. Probably saved some kids from being breakfast!"
Last edited June 17, 2018 2:07 am
Jun 17, 2018 2:54 am
Say, a farm of our own would be a lovely place to do more magical studying. I am interested to know that as well.
Jun 23, 2018 5:56 am
Drek scratches his shaggy beard and cocks his head to the side, "Well," he says thoughtfully, "I don't think he had any family to take it over... You'd have to ask the mayor about that, I think."
Jun 23, 2018 6:56 am
"We farmers now?" Krogir-Vaam asks, an honest question in his tone.
Jun 23, 2018 7:03 pm
"No, K-V. Bad things happen to farmers," Seraphina says with a hint of sadness in her voice.

"But, we do need a home. Some place to call ours in the world, ya know? We can't just wander aimlessly and kill things. And a farm has lots of space. We could let the land go fallow and invite the woodland creatures to come. Englefeldt would have plenty of space to research his magic."

"What would you do with all that space, K-V?
OOC:
I feel like Seraphina would call Krogir-Vaam by a nickname. Any ideas CancerMan? I put in K-V for now, although it sounds more like a star wars droid name than anything.
Jun 24, 2018 3:54 am
"Too much," says Krogir-Vaam. He drags his maul across the ground in the span between his feet. "Just need this."
OOC:
Nicknames are given by others! So long as Krogir-Vaam knows that K-V or even Kay refers to him, he's good.
Jun 24, 2018 5:26 am
Sitting on Moonbeam, Seraphina is still not even close to Krogir-Vaam's height, but its a lot closer than usual.

What you need is better armor. Look at this!

Seraphina points to where Monster Woodward clawed right through Krogir-Vaam's hides. Then she shakes her shoulders a bit, making the sound of clinking metal.

"You need a chain shirt, like me. Maybe we can stop off at a smith on our way to town hall. How much money you all got? I got 7 gp, 12 sp, and 26 cp!"
Jun 24, 2018 5:33 pm
"I have... some," says Krogir-Vaam. He fiddles with his coin pouch, then empties the entire 64 gold coins and 9 silver pieces onto the floor of Drek's office.
Jul 10, 2018 8:39 pm
OOC:
Does Krogir-Vaam want a chain shirt or chain mail?
"If ye need some help with gettin' better gear, I think we can help ye out," Drek says from the other side of the office, "The smith gives discounts to Ebongarde members."
Jul 10, 2018 10:44 pm
Krogir-Vaam looks at Seraphina's chain shirt. "Too small," he says after deep consideration, contemplation, and comparison of the halfling's frame versus his own.
OOC:
I'll go with the chain mail.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.