Salutations!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 29, 2018 2:20 am
Hello everyone, figured I'd follow the newbies guide suggestion and post here, even though I'm terrible at writing this sort of thing haha.

I'm a Canadian GM, who's been playing RPG's of one sort or another for well over a decade now. An obsessive tinkerer and homebrewer, I started with D&D (4e mostly), but was never perfectly satisfied with it for the story I was trying to tell and then discovered the OSR movement when I went to university. Since then I've been introduced to a number of different games by friends and the internet from Traveller to L5R, Pathfinder/3.5, SW: Edge of the Empire, 5e and others.

I enjoy dark/gritty fantasy, 'Harder' Sci-fi settings, and on the rare occasions I actually get to play; adore creating deep, complex characters with rich personalities and motivations and then putting them in horrible, soul-crushing situations to see what happens.

Relevant to this site, I should mention I have persistent PTSD concerning Pathfinder/3.5 after playing almost exclusively with power level 9000 minmaxers and munchkins for the better part of a year... tend to avoid them these days for that reason.

Outside of RPG's, I enjoy the more outdoorsy sort of sports (rock climbing, sailing, skiing when I get the opportunity to partake in them), books and strategy games.
May 29, 2018 2:27 am
Welcome to the community, TACTIC! :-)
May 29, 2018 3:12 am
Welcome, Tactic! Lots of Canadians here. Kalajel is from Montreal I think, I'm in the Calgary area. Maple bacon wrapped high five!
May 29, 2018 6:02 am
Welcome!
May 29, 2018 6:21 am
Welcome Tactic! I'll be headed to Canada in a few weeks to visit family. Speaking of OSR have you ever tried Dungeon Crawl Classics? I am kind of obsessed with it these days. I have only played it 2 times though.
May 29, 2018 12:15 pm
Welcome TACTIC! A fellow rock climber! Are you more a top rope or boulder person? As for the RPG side, I know there have been a few attempts at Warhammer games, and a new Warhammer system is coming up, I think this summer, which is exciting. Otherwise, I'm sure you'll find something here!
May 29, 2018 1:13 pm
Welcome!
May 29, 2018 2:58 pm
Hi Tactic!
May 29, 2018 4:21 pm
Hello and welcome!
May 29, 2018 5:00 pm
Thanks for the kind welcome everyone!

@Qralloq - Small world, also in the Calgary area *returns the best kind of high five*

@aaronschmidt - I have not played DCC, but I am familiar with it/have browsed the PDF and have utilized it's 'Funnel' campaign starter twice for other games. It's good stuff.

@Keleth - I've done both, though I have by far the most experience top roping in climbing gyms. Haven't gotten to do much of either in several years, unfortunately.

I have heard about the new WH system in passing. Will probably end up giving it a look at some point haha.
Last edited May 29, 2018 5:00 pm
May 29, 2018 11:24 pm
Qralloq says:
Kalajel is from Montreal I think
From a small town which is about an hour away from Montreal actually, but it's a very small town, so I don't expect people to know about it...
May 30, 2018 2:44 am
TACTIC says:
Thanks for the kind welcome everyone!

@Qralloq - Small world, also in the Calgary area *returns the best kind of high five*
Huh. With your soulcrushing 3.5 experiences, I wonder if we know the same people, haha.
May 30, 2018 3:06 am
Hello and welcome! I also have had similar experiences with Pathfinder. Hope you enjoy the site!
May 31, 2018 2:39 am
@Qralloq - Probably not, but perhaps. They are all younger fellows in their 20's.

Thanks again for all the kind words.
Jun 2, 2018 11:35 pm
Cool, two Calgarians! I'm from there, but live on the east coast nowadays.

Welcome to the site!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.