Hello! I'm new.

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 4, 2018 3:39 pm
Hi. I go by Calexico. I've spent a good portion of my life trying to figure out how to play D&D with other people, but schedules, full groups, not having a rule book, not knowing anyone currently playing... all got in my way. I'm very happy to be here on a great recommendation, and I'm eager to learn! Play by post seems like a great way to do this with my very very busy schedule.
I have played MMOs, other RPG video games, MTG, other table tops, even a little LARPing and I am an avid fantasy reader. However, I've still never actually played D&D or anything quite like it. So, I'm wondering if anyone is starting a newbie/learning game, or knows of a beginner-friendly game that's looking for another player. I'm also interested in World of Darkness, Star Wars and Pathfinder, and will probably get interested in some I don't even know about yet.
Looking forward to playing!
Jun 4, 2018 3:45 pm
Welcome Calexico! I'm a bit curious who recommended you over (as in podcast, website, friend, etc). There are a BUNCH of newbie/learning games, and lots of games I've seen are new-player friendly. Not saying all, but a majority if not most. It's something I'm really proud of the community here coming together on: it's super friendly. You can find a new-player DnD group almost right away. Star Wars and Pathfinder should happen as well. WoD is a little less common, but I do see games coming up with some frequency. Be sure to read the New Member Guide, as it should help you get going.
Jun 4, 2018 3:46 pm
Welcome! There's always people starting new games and often those are geared to new players. Check out the Ganes Tavern subforum.
Jun 4, 2018 3:50 pm
Welcome, Calexico_Night! You've come to the right place! 5E games pop up here all the time, and many of them are newbie friendly. Just watch the Games Tavern for announcements. I hope you find a game soon!

Cheers!
Jun 4, 2018 4:51 pm
Welcome!
Jun 4, 2018 5:07 pm
Keleth says:
Welcome Calexico! I'm a bit curious who recommended you over (as in podcast, website, friend, etc).
Guilty, here. I’ve been praising GP pretty much constantly to Calexico since I joined up... after hearing your interview on the Modifier podcast.

Glad you finally joined! Welcome!

I don’t have time to run a beginners game myself (unfortunately), but I might just have time to play alongside you if the game has room!
Jun 4, 2018 5:13 pm
You're in a good place to learn games. Welcome to the site!
Jun 4, 2018 5:49 pm
Welcome Calexico! I'm currently running a 5e learning game and there is a spot for one more. If you're interested let me know and we can get started right away.
Jun 4, 2018 8:35 pm
Tookie_Clothespin says:
Guilty, here. I’ve been praising GP pretty much constantly to Calexico since I joined up... after hearing your interview on the Modifier podcast.
I really appreciate you passing word around! The Modifier interview was so long ago! Glad it still catches attention, and I'm glad you're enjoying your time here.
Jun 4, 2018 8:59 pm
Welcome!

Wondering if your username has any inspiration from/relation to this Calexico...?

Aside from you both presumably originating from/living in the California/Mexico-border area...
Last edited June 4, 2018 9:02 pm
Jun 4, 2018 11:15 pm
Welcome to GP :)
Jun 5, 2018 1:10 am
Welcome Calexico. I am fairly new to GP (but not RPGs) and I've noticed many people willing to help out new players. I too have a crowded work/life schedule but the pace of play-by-post fits nicely.
Jun 5, 2018 2:36 pm
emsquared says:
Welcome!

Wondering if your username has any inspiration from/relation to this Calexico...?

Aside from you both presumably originating from/living in the California/Mexico-border area...
While I do enjoy their music, I only found out about them after I crafted my handle. It's one I've been using for a long time. But it is linked to the idea of that place. I'm not from there, but liminality intrigues me. Plus, I really like the way the word sounds.
Jun 5, 2018 2:37 pm
Qralloq says:
Welcome Calexico! I'm currently running a 5e learning game and there is a spot for one more. If you're interested let me know and we can get started right away.
Absolutely! I'll PM you as well!
Jun 5, 2018 4:37 pm
PM replied. Pitter patter, let's get at'er, haha.
Jun 9, 2018 8:39 am
Welcome!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.