The Mountain of Magic - Short Campaign

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 8, 2018 9:50 pm
Looking for players willing to try out a short OSR/d20 style game!

I will be running an adventure from a free, system neutral two-page module I found online using my own Reforged Fantasy System. Hoping to have some fun, learn about DM'ing on GP, and maybe drum up interest in my long-term homebrew game that I previously posted about.

Will be looking for roughly 5 posts a week. Happy to help anyone who needs assistance or has questions about the rules (it's been playtested extensively, but only by my own players over the last few years), thankfully both character creation and play are fairly simple.

GAME PAGE: CLICK HERE

Link to PDF: CLICK HERE
Last edited June 8, 2018 9:51 pm
Jun 9, 2018 8:56 pm
Glad to have you on board Mushroom! I have the character generation thread up so feel free to post in that when you are ready.

For everyone else, I have 2 players now and am looking for 1-3 more. I'm willing to play with three players, though 4 would be ideal I think.
Jun 11, 2018 5:58 am
I will read through the rules and let you know afterwards. I will make sure to post here in next 3-5 days.
Jun 11, 2018 10:40 am
Sounds good! Feel free to shoot me any questions you have.
Jun 11, 2018 9:09 pm
So Mushroom Mage expressed concern about the frailty of characters at level 1, and asked how he was supposed to survive multiple encounters back to back, so I figured I should clear things up here for incoming players.

My game (and a lot of OSR games in my experience) has a little bit of a different play style than more modern D&D style games, and I was aiming for that with Reforged. Fights are dangerous (especially at level 1) and thus something you want to avoid without good reason. Even goblins and a common man with a sword or axe is a real threat unless your character is a swordsman renowned for their skill and ability (aka, already have at least a couple levels under your belt). Let alone real monsters.

I award XP for recovering treasure regardless of the method, and monsters can be 'defeated' without being killed using diplomacy, intimidation or even stealth. A party shouldn't (and probably can't) solve every problem with their swords and arrows.

So a Reforged campaign will look a lot closer to say, an Indiana Johns movie then a modern action flick. With as many puzzles, traps and social interactions as fighting, and a lot of running away when the situation requires it. And a high level character is Batman, or perhaps Cyclops, rather than Superman or even Wolverine.

I understand that this isnt exactly the 'standard' sort of game people play now a days, so if anyone wants to bow out now that is fine, and as always if you have any questions fire away.
Jun 13, 2018 4:35 pm
I'd love at least one more player for this if anyone is interested. My first three players are nearly finished character creation, so I will probably be starting the adventure in the next few days. While I'll happily accept any late arrivals, a unified start is preferable I should think.
Jun 15, 2018 5:00 am
I mast pass on this one - got into another game and I feel adding a third one will be too much for me - Good luck!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.