Void Age Playtest

load previous
Jun 17, 2018 3:46 am
Are there full character creation instructions?

I am very excited about this character. I think I like the setup a lot. I do have one question about the Glitch Holoclones, just to make sure i am grasping everything. It mentions that a 1st level character has a max of 3 clones and they refresh after a long rest. And then I destroy clones in using some Talents. It also mentions I can create clones with a successful basic attack. So...my reading of that is I can destroy a clone to use a Talent, but in a subsequent turn, if I hit with a basic attack I create a new clone, but I am limited to having 3 active holocones at first level. If I take a Long Rest and have less than 3 holoclones, when the rest is over I will have a total of 3 clones. Correct?
Jun 17, 2018 4:06 am
That is correct. As far as full character creation rules go, they're after the Network list.
Jun 17, 2018 2:00 pm
Oh...thanks...i thought I looked at the whole doc...fuess not.
Jun 18, 2018 6:09 am
I wanted to know what kind of campaign we will be running. I'm up for pretty much anything, but wanted to get that squared away before I determine my network relationships (unless you wanna make that part of the setup).

The basic character beats are: Worked as a Technician, later became a Forensic pathologist (Someone who does autopsies), finally joined a private science lab focusing on dangerous and mysterious diseases. In the end most of the staff became infected and horribly mutated in some way, and only a scant few made it out alive, all the while contracting a myriad of the alien disease which creates a symbiotic bond between them. I wanted to avoid having them be dreary or mad scientist-esque, instead more positive and reasonable.
Jun 18, 2018 1:11 pm
I was going to let you guys choose the type of setup, but my default scenario is this:

A megacorp has hired you to recover a data cache that was jettisoned from orbit around earth in an act of vandalism by FreeWeb. The problem is that they don't know exactly where it came down because the tracker was disabled. You'll have to figure out a way to find it in the wilds of Earth, and hope that there's not any more to the job than that.
Jun 18, 2018 2:24 pm
Sounds interesting. I'll get my Nebula squared away today.
Jun 18, 2018 6:18 pm
I can work with that scenario.

I am struggling a bit with the Unique Trait in this setting. I guess when magic and gods are involved it can be easy. Do you by chance have a list of examples?

You know what...I had an idea minutes after I posted this, so never mind I guess...unless other people want them.

I decided on having a Ghost in the Machine: Sometimes My holoclones DO exhibit personality a personality of their own. One specific personality...that of a young (20 something woman) who looks a lot like my first love. She died in a mysterious accident years ago.
Last edited June 18, 2018 6:31 pm
Jun 18, 2018 6:28 pm
It doesn't neccesarily have to be magic-based or over-the-top. For instance:

I've won second place in the Hyperfest Asteroid Run seven years straight. I think someone's cheating.

I don't remember how old I am, but I do remember the corporate wars. Something happened that makes my memory fuzzy, but I know that if I'm killed, I have a backup hidden somewhere on Earth.

I hear the Orison whispering in my head.
Last edited June 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Jun 18, 2018 6:32 pm
Those are good examples...and I thought of one a few minutes after I posted that. Thanks.
Jun 18, 2018 6:36 pm
Cool!

I just saw the edit. I like that idea. That can get worked in very well.
Last edited June 18, 2018 6:40 pm
Jun 18, 2018 8:24 pm
That sounds like an interesting plot hook. Would we be freelancers who accepted the contract, or have ties to the megacorp as regular employees?

A different question I was curious about: can people switch sheathes fairly easily given the opportunity? Say they are usually a mentat but change into a flitter for specialized tasks, and simply change back a few days later.
Jun 18, 2018 8:39 pm
We can easily mix the two, so feel free to make your character whichever you'd like, employee or freelancer.

As far as sheaths go, yes, it's possible to switch. In game terms you can switch when you level as long as facilities are available. As far as story goes, it's a fairly involved process that takes a couple days depending on the sheath. You might have to relearn how to use your arms for instance if you go from Octon to Fury.
Jun 19, 2018 12:50 am
I have finished and submitted my Flitter Glitch, Tengu Perfect. I built a former celebrity bodyguard turned 'Johnny Mnemonic' style courier. I took the Phantom Glamour Exploit and Adventure level feat allowing the little red tin can to impersonate specific individuals, this goes with one of their backgrounds also.

Here is a link to the image I describe for the actual character description, the little robot, not the big one. This is what Tengu looks like when not projecting a hologram.

This is what Tengu looks like typically when using their holographic human disguise.
Jun 19, 2018 3:00 am
I like it. A lot. Some good backstory in there too that I can exploit work with. >__>
Jun 19, 2018 3:21 am
Questions

-Gear section says we get a Prototype, but I couldn't see rules for that
-not sure what to do with Background points
-is there a penalty for Heavy armor?

I'll submit the character as is, but still need to address the above and pick my Unique Thing
Jun 19, 2018 6:08 am
My character seems all good to go, I feel like I wrote a doozy of a backstory, but hopefully there is some stuff you can work with. Not sure how numerous Phages are usually so I with the belief that they are extremely rare, at least to humans.

Appearance wise Skav's are very similar to squirrels, and about the size of raccoons. Portrait-wise I will rock a decent face I cropped based on this image. Clothing will typically be a utility jumpsuit with a lab coat (why not).
Jun 19, 2018 3:35 pm
Backgrounds
Backgrounds take the place of specific skills. For instance, if I was a Archive Librarian, I could use that background when I needed to search for something or when I needed to project authority perhaps. You have eight points to spread between any backgrounds you want, and you can have up to 4 points in each.

Armor
Each class has its own AC range and penalties for wearing out-type armor. It'll be in your class write-up.

Prototypes
I don't have the prototype list complete yet, but Prototypes are Void Age's version of magic weapons, so you can pick anything from here and just re-flavor it.
Jun 19, 2018 3:37 pm
Somebox, you're good to go. I can definitely work in at least some of that backstory. As far as rarity goes, that's part of what you get to decide, so yeah, they'll be very rare. You've probably never met another one - not that they'd necessarily tell you even if you did; you're a health ministry's nightmare.
I'm going to go ahead and get the startup posting out of the way later today and let everyone jump in, since the first little bit will probably be mostly RP anyway.
Last edited June 19, 2018 3:39 pm
Jun 19, 2018 5:34 pm
Sorry to nit-pick...but in the rules and in 13th Age a Background is maxed out at 5...you said 4. Just want to be sure which number. The Glitch gets a free extra Background that says it is at max.

In my previous experience with 13th Age, Backgrounds were described to me as jobs and hobbies your character had before the adventure begins. You can think of them as groups of skills. A Hacker will know how to use a computer, but specifically how to get past common security protocols, but isn't necessarily the best at playing video games. A Professional Athlete will likely be good at running and jumping probably, as well as any specific skills their sport requires like ice skating for hockey or pole-vaulting for track & field, but isn't great at negotiations unless they also spent time working as an talent agent. Just some other examples.
Jun 19, 2018 6:08 pm
Also...I chose to adapt the Ring of Resilience into Recovery Nano Capsule. It manufactures and releases a swarm of nanos that can repair damage, be it to flesh or machine. In game terms it lets me use a Recovery once, mid-battle, and recharges on a 6+ afterward.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.