Dungeon-crawling sci-fi?

Jun 29, 2018 3:54 am
Recently I was thinking about fun video games that would be good translations to TTRPGs, and realized Metroid is perfect. The new one for Switch and 3DS is good fun. My question though, since I don't have much experience with Sci-Fi rpgs, what are some suggestions for a good sci-fi game that could work for dungeon-crawling?
Jun 29, 2018 4:04 am
Doom and Bioshock come to mind as source material.

As to RPG systems, I would immediately look to SpaceMaster, the sci fi variant to Rolemaster. But that is unlikely to draw anything but dry heaves, so...

Cypher System does SF fairly well. Pool replenishing can be accelerated as needed depending how actiony side shooter you want it.

I'm told that Savage Worlds does SF well, too, but my experience there is limited. It was recommended to me when I was working on a Babylon 5 campaign.
Jun 29, 2018 4:17 am
Metroid would be a fantastic atmosphere for TTRPG, but I question how the group dynamic would go. Samus is kinda a one-birdlady show. The Hunters all work independently. The military's a buncha stooges. The Space Pirates aren't well-rounded enough for play. Too stereotypically evil.

Doom is also an excellent choice, but same as above. The groups that fight the demons are later seen being demons themselves. Only Doomguy ever stands a chance. Bioshock is also excellent, and does have teamwork examples like the Little Sisters and Belle, I mean, Elizabeth. Silly me.

As to RPG systems, I can't really be much help. I have more modern and medieval experience.
Jun 29, 2018 4:20 am
GURPS could probably do this well.
Jun 29, 2018 10:49 am
Not a game, but the Alastair Reynolds book Revenger takes place in the far, far, future of our solar system. Since the present, various human civilisations have risen in power and fallen, over tens of thousands of years, and many of them have left behind mysterious caches of technology/weapons/treasure, hidden inside what are basically giant space-dungeons orbiting the sun, full of strange technology and deadly traps. Treasure hunters risk their lives to get in and salvage as much treasure as they can carry, within a tight time limit (the caches automatically open and close their doors every so often). Translated into TTRPG you'd have a lot of puzzles to figure out, plus maybe some ancient warbots or security drones to contend with.

As for video games - the original Fallout RPGs (i.e. Fallout and Fallout 2) had various areas like old military bases, the Vaults, super-mutant hideouts, caves, oil rigs, etc that would work as dungeons.
Jun 29, 2018 12:03 pm
Besides what's already been said, Starfinder would work well. Plenty of tech, and the rules are similar to Pathfinder/DnD, so most people would have an easy time adjusting.
Jun 29, 2018 2:26 pm
Ah yeah, I forgot about Starfinder...
Jun 30, 2018 1:46 am
The one-birdlady aspect of Metroid would be the main issue, in my opinion. The video game was originally designed for a solo protagonist, but a group might be manageable.

Thanks for the book suggestion notinventedhere. I'll look into that.

My initial thought was that something like Eclipse Phase might be a good fit, but I'm not really familiar the game at all. Just kind of speculating based on what I'd seen in the reviews.
Jun 30, 2018 3:56 am
Can you imagine a Republic Commando or Mass Effect style game in the setting of Metroid? It would be amazing! Problem is, the games are geared around a super powerful protagonist who is a feared, legendary bounty hunter. A squad would either go the direction of Darkest Dungeon, or they would need to collectively have the power of Samus, if not a little more to overcome the problem of coordinating multiple people. Maybe some kind of psychic link, like a drift-compatible situation. #pacrim
Jul 2, 2018 12:50 am
The Dead Space universe might work well. A bit of the horror, powerlessness feeling coupled with upgrades in armor and weapons.
Jul 3, 2018 3:10 am
Airickson says:
The Dead Space universe might work well. A bit of the horror, powerlessness feeling coupled with upgrades in armor and weapons.
Not familiar with it, but I'll see where that takes me. Thanks!
Jul 3, 2018 6:54 pm
Don't know how old you are but the Phantasy Star serie on sega would fit pretty much what you are looking for...
Jul 3, 2018 7:10 pm
deadpool_qc says:
Don't know how old you are but the Phantasy Star serie on sega would fit pretty much what you are looking for...
Hmm, what a coincidence...
Jul 3, 2018 7:14 pm
kalajel says:
deadpool_qc says:
Hmm, what a coincidence...
Oh God... The nostalgia is melting me!
Jul 4, 2018 3:15 am
Ha! I definitely remember those games.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.