Exigency: The Old Guard

load previous
Aug 31, 2015 12:53 pm
"A thought occurs. Perhaps the big guy over there was in charge and wasn't part of your little gang." Serana kneels down closer to Markus. "Was he the one who gave you your equipment?"
Aug 31, 2015 1:15 pm
Markus grimaces. "I aint saying anything else. If I sell anyone out my name would be worth nothing. I got standards!"
Aug 31, 2015 1:32 pm
Pudge pipes in. "Listen, uh...." Pudge feigns as if he's reading something "Markus Anders Henrichson. We don't want to hurt you. Well, I don't want to hurt you. My friend here, I think, would very much enjoy it. So, it seems to me like you have three options: One, you tell us everything you know, including any information about who hired you and what that big fella's role is; Two, you make me throw my clothes away because they're splattered with the blood that will come bursting out of your throat as that very sharp scythe takes your head off; Three, we turn you in to the military authorities of Ascorvia, where I imagine you'd be tried in a military tribunal and sentenced to execution for desertion and murdering your superior officer. Although, once you ended up in military prison, I doubt you'd make it to execution, given how soldiers feel about people who murder fellow brothers-in-arms."

Pudge leans back a little and shrugs. "Would telling us sully your reputation a little? Yeah, I guess it would. If that's more important to you and keeping your head attached today or your organs in your belly after you get to prison... well, I guess that's your call."
Aug 31, 2015 2:11 pm
Markus looks dumbfounded at first, and dejected by the time Pudge finishes. "All right, all right. We operate out of the basement below the Diamond Cavern, a shitty nightclub downtown. The big dude, called himself Garlen, pulls up in this busted-up police car with a trunk load of police crap and tells us his boss wants some people dead.

"I dunno the name of Garlen's boss, I swear. But the first time I saw Garlen, 'fore he changed into all the police stuff, he was decked out in some really expensive kit. I aint no expert, but I reckon it was Mercenary League gear."
Aug 31, 2015 2:34 pm
Pudge motions to Serana to make sure Garlen is secured, so that if he wakes up while we're talking to Markus he can't go anywhere.

"See? That wasn't so hard," Pudge smirks condescendingly. "And what were you supposed to do after the job was done?"
Last edited August 31, 2015 3:14 pm
Aug 31, 2015 3:08 pm
Serana nods and walks over to Garlen, drawing her sword as she moves.
Sep 1, 2015 7:06 am
"We were meant to dump the car, lay low for a while." Markus frowns. "But I'm starting to think we were never expected to survive."

As Serana makes her approach, Garlen slams his forearm on the ground. The chaff grenade in his hand erupts into a thick cloud of scintillating, shimmering particles, tiny bolts of lightning arcing between them.

Through all the sparking chaos, Serana can barely discern Garlen's outline as the man staggers into the car and starts up the engine.

You can attempt to roll for Reactions or make any other kind of skill roll you think is appropriate to halt his sudden escape attempt. But this is considered the same encounter! Your encounter powers have not gone off cooldown yet.
Sep 1, 2015 12:29 pm
As soon as he hears the engine start, Pudge quickly tries to connect to the car's computer. Unfortunately, he is unable to find this particular vehicle amongst the noise of all the emergency personnel and equipment in the area.
Last edited September 1, 2015 1:23 pm

Rolls

Reaction - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Sep 1, 2015 1:00 pm
"Sorry, but your friend just got you killed." Having Markus already pinned to the hood for the car, Wilhelm pulls him up and throws him through the windshield of the the car at Garlen.

Rolls

Hit one mofo with anotha mofo (+2 STR, +2 Melee, +1 harder they fall) - (1d20+5, 1d10+5)

1d20+5 : (12) + 5 = 17

1d10+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

Sep 1, 2015 1:32 pm
Serana lurches forward, putting all her weight on her sword, driving it into the car's engine.

Rolls

Reactions - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

sword damage, if needed - (1d10+7)

(10) + 7 = 17

Sep 1, 2015 1:49 pm
The car doesn't even get the chance to raise off the ground before the engine block is skewered by Serana's sword. She uses so much force that the blade penetrates the concrete below.

Snarling, Garlen pulls out his sidearm and tries to find a target, only for the reinforced windshield to buckle under Markus' weight.

Somehow, Markus isn't dead. But his groans indicate that he's not necessarily happy about this state of affairs. Garlen slumps over the dash, knowing his bid for freedom has failed.
Sep 1, 2015 2:24 pm
Examining the man layed out across the windshield Wilhelm exclaims, "Markus! Color me impressed. Turns out you DO have a spine." He nods at Serana and Pudge. "Good work. Now let's get back to business." Falstaff walks around to the driver's side door, slices it off its hinges and throws Garlen onto the ground. He then pins the man to the pavement by sinking the scythe into the pavement, going through Garland's shoulder. "Now it's your turn to talk."

(Whoops my will is 4so that's a +5)
Last edited September 1, 2015 2:39 pm

Rolls

Interrogate - (1d20+4, 1d6+4)

1d20+4 : (9) + 4 = 13

1d6+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

Sep 1, 2015 2:41 pm
Garlen, to his credit, barely flinches at the wound. "I'm dead either way. You do get that, right? There's no world where me talking to you results in a better outcome than me staying silent."
Sep 1, 2015 2:49 pm
In one motion, Serana pulls her sword from the car and sticks in the ground next to Garlen's head.

"Au contraire, darling Garlen. Your silence allows the people who sent you on a suicide mission to prosper. If you talk you might die but one thing is certain. They will truly come to regret tangling with us."

I know I won't regenerate it until after the next encounter, but blowing an Edge point on this rather than rolling.
Sep 1, 2015 3:50 pm
"Jesus, these two new companions of mine are badass," Pudge thinks to himself.
Sep 1, 2015 5:05 pm
Garlen exhales raggedly. "A mishmash of League units are trying to start a coup. Trying to keep a low profile so the treaty-waving assholes in the rest of the League don't kick up a fuss. Me? I'm just in it for the money, don't care which side wins. Planet's going to hell either way.

"Head of the coup is some old lady called Commander Pirle. Used to be a Montakon Commissar, or so the rumours go. Wants to topple the government, own the city, pop open the Vault. You can guess.

"She's hired me and a bunch of other freelancers to clean up the gangs and wildcards around these parts." Garlen shrugs, then winces at the pain in his shoulder. "I thought paying a few gangers to wipe out offworlders was a smart move. Two birds, one bribe. Look where it got me.

"Now I want taken to a hospital, right? Don't want any guards either. The cops around here are crooked. Who do you think let me have all this police gear?"
Sep 1, 2015 9:26 pm
"I'm afraid you're in no position to make demands of us, but in a great one to be of use. I'd like you to send a message to your friends in the league." Wilhelm's scythe flies from Garlen's shoulder, and in a sweeping motion sends the large man's head rolling across the street. What's left of Garlen slumps to the ground, draining blood onto the pavement. "Wilhelm Falstaff is on Valon, and he's picked up some friends." He then looks to Markus, "Assuming you ever walk again would you mind delivering that for me? Be sure to take his head with you." Turning now to his companions, Wilhelm motions to a shadowed alley and runs towards it.
Sep 3, 2015 7:58 am
Darghibous leans against the wall a few feet into the alley, just out of sight of Markus. He's apparently unarmed and innocuous. His composure is bizarre, almost studied. He speaks with a lilting Gavrain accent, his voice pitched so that the party can hear him but Markus, bleeding softly on the windshield out on the street, cannot. He smiles, and watches each of them closely in turn as he begins. "That is an amazing hat. I've seen a lot of hats in my day, but your hat - the drama, the mystery - exquisite! You're looking at me, shocked and confused, a little angry and impatient: who is this guy? What is he doing here? Well, I'm Darghibous Aravan!" He pauses dramatically. "Yes! THAT Darghibous Aravan! Darghibous Aravan the Great, Entertainer of Princes, Master of Illusion! Aha! I see that you are amazed..." He pauses again.

"You've never heard of me, have you?" He clears his throat. "Well. Hm. I'm in a bit of a predicament. These guys were Mercenary League. They were the fourth batch I've followed in the past two weeks. The problem is, they all keep dying. But this was the first batch that wasn't killed by some other gang of Leaguers. But you three are obviously not Mercenary League. So that begs the question..." He smiles again, broadly. "Can I get a ride?"
Last edited September 3, 2015 3:34 pm
Sep 3, 2015 12:23 pm
Serana sighs. "Please understand that when I say the following I mean no offence: but don't move until our tech expert has confirmed you are who you say you are.

"Wilhelm has a tendency to decapitate things when startled, and we have a tendency to let him."
Sep 3, 2015 2:23 pm
"Wha... What the hell? Hold on a sec." The three others tense a little as they see Pudge go glassy-eyed while he furiously hacks away; Wilhelm and Serana because they think Darghibous might be a threat, and Darghibous because he's unsure what Pudge might find.

After a few more seconds, Pudge blinks, and his eyes come back into focus. "Well, there's good news and weird news. The good news is that he's telling the truth, if not all of it. But, what illusionist worth his salt would give away his secrets, right?" Pudge looks knowingly over the top of his eye piece at Darghibous who shifts nervously.

Pudge turns to Serana and Wilhelm. "He may bring trouble, but he doesn't seem to be looking for it with us. The weird news: he's got some sort of technology I've never encountered in person before. Looks like it's some sort of Uclasion artifact. I don't know how or why, but I'm pretty certain that artifact creates a small stable spatial anomaly. I barely know what that means, but there it is. It sure would be super useful to an illusionist... or someone with lots of money with something to hide, if we ever needed a ton of cash quickly. Seems like having him around might be useful, and, if not, that artifact is one hell of an insurance policy."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.