Anime styled rpgs

Jul 8, 2018 3:50 am
Hi, so as I'm a anime fan and love rpgs, I was wondering if anyone could recommend some games or systems I could refer to and use to make a anime rpg. It will either be based on "My Hero Academia", "One Piece", "Dragon Ball Z" or "Bleach". Hope people have some cool ideas! :D
Last edited July 8, 2018 3:52 am
Jul 8, 2018 4:02 am
I know there are RPGs out there that are specifically based on anime, but honestly, the most anime-like rpg I've ever played is Marvel Heroic Roleplay (Cortex Plus/Prime). Our table used that system to play a mythical Japan-like setting campaign, and it felt like a Miyazaki film, meets Ninja Scroll.
Jul 8, 2018 9:59 pm
BESM and OVA are the main ones to come to mind. also, IIRC, there used to be an old Dragonball game powered by the Fuzion engine. I've also seen a few fan-made Dragonball games and one Bleach D20 game.
Jul 8, 2018 11:07 pm
Quote:
Dragonball game powered by the Fuzion engine
Ooooh, the HERO system (aka Champions, aka Fuzion) would be good for this - Powers-wise. Except it doesn't have anything else about it that feels like anime. Just like GURPS, it feels generic because it was built to be generic.

Also there's one out there called Ryuutama that's "purpose-built" for anime-like campaigns.
Jul 9, 2018 3:43 pm
You might want to take a look at my resources and free games thread. I kind of forgot I did that and quickly browsing, I saw a Naruto RPG, a One-Piece D20, as well as the Bleach Classless D20 game I mentioned earlier...
Jul 10, 2018 5:00 am
Nice thanks alot!
Jul 26, 2018 12:40 pm
Ooh, I hadn't considered HERO for anime-style stuff. And I was just thinking about a giant mech type game...
Jul 26, 2018 10:43 pm
emsquared says:
Also there's one out there called Ryuutama that's "purpose-built" for anime-like campaigns.
If someone runs a Ryuutama campaign on this site, I want in. I cannot emphasize that enough. I've only recently heard of it and never gotten to play.
Jul 11, 2019 7:14 pm
I'd recommend OVA for simplicity or Valor for a crunchier system. Both are built for anime-style games.
Jul 11, 2019 7:31 pm
Feng Shui. Feng Shui solves everything.

But no, seriously, the 1st edition of Feng Shui could basically be described as 'the second best system to run everything in'. I've done Star Wars in it, Gundam, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Mechwarrior, Avengers/Marvel, Call of Cthulu, zombie apocalypse survival, Ranma 1/2 and even a Tekken universe game.

You might need to do some campaign specific changes, especially if you want to do something as over the top as DBZ, but the core system does pretty well at combining martial arts, guns, magic and cybernetics.

I keep hemming and hawing over suggesting it as the next character sheet option to support on the site but it's A) under used and B) the custom sheets work just fine since there's not a lot of stuff that's needed for any particular character.
Last edited July 11, 2019 7:44 pm
Jul 11, 2019 9:03 pm
Cep100 says:
Feng Shui. Feng Shui solves everything.

But no, seriously, the 1st edition of Feng Shui could basically be described as 'the second best system to run everything in'. I've done Star Wars in it, Gundam, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Mechwarrior, Avengers/Marvel, Call of Cthulu, zombie apocalypse survival, Ranma 1/2 and even a Tekken universe game.

You might need to do some campaign specific changes, especially if you want to do something as over the top as DBZ, but the core system does pretty well at combining martial arts, guns, magic and cybernetics.

I keep hemming and hawing over suggesting it as the next character sheet option to support on the site but it's A) under used and B) the custom sheets work just fine since there's not a lot of stuff that's needed for any particular character.
I second this. I've used / played Feng Shui for a supers game, a fantasy game, post apoc survival, hard sci fi, noir crime, as well as the default "Big Trouble in Little China" like setting.
Jul 11, 2019 9:49 pm
One day, when I was sad that all of Netflix's Marvel shows had gotten cancelled, I made Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Daredevil and the Iron Fist in Feng Shui. It took ten minutes. Then I was sad again. Admittedly it does have some trouble with the basic archetypes scaling up into higher power levels like the Flash or Superman, but it's a super easy system to learn and add to with your own stuff.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.