Chapter 1 - The Beginning

load previous
Oct 29, 2015 4:10 am
Aelar takes a moment to think, "We could get them to attack the caravan and use the distraction to sneak on board," he says, "they won't turn around after an attack by these beasts. Something like this isn't far out of the ordinary."
Oct 29, 2015 9:35 pm
"Allow them to attack the caravan?" Ütés says as she quickly turns to Aelar, a disappointed look on her face. "The idea is to distract the guards so that we can sneak aboard, NOT to put them in danger."

Talking to the group she continues, "We have the advantage, for now, and I think we should use it before it's gone. Let's eliminate the threat and use their corpses as part of the distraction. Surely the guards would pause to investigate a large bugbear corpse in the trail, no?"
Oct 29, 2015 9:55 pm
"I don't like it either, but they're not going to send all their guards to investigate corpses, it will simply put them on guard more," he says, hating every word , "this is the only guarantee they'll all be occupied. And I, for one, am not going to put the safety of people who work for the enemy above that of my troupe or the prince... are you?"
Last edited October 29, 2015 9:59 pm
Oct 29, 2015 10:04 pm
Ignoring the obvious ploy to tug at her emotions Ütés calmly replies...

"Surely a single bugbear corpse won't occupy all of the guards, you are correct. A corpse mixed with some illusions might just do the trick though. Putting aside the thought of using innocents as bait, a plan that hinges on the less than predictable behavior of those creatures isn't much of a plan at all."
Oct 29, 2015 11:29 pm
Aelar hangs his head and replies, "You're right, I let my emotions get the best of me... they may work for someone evil, but that doesn't make them deserving of death by bugbear..."

Ashamed of what his desperation was leading him to he sits in silence.
Oct 29, 2015 11:42 pm
Crolwell swings his axe over his shoulder and snorts. "How 'bout death by Crolwell? I could chop 'em up real good. Whadd'ya say, everyone? Whadd'ya say?"
Last edited October 29, 2015 11:42 pm
Oct 30, 2015 2:04 am
Ütés approaches Aelar and takes a seat next to him. Speaking quietly in elvish she says, "Remember to use my words against me, my friend, when it is your turn to keep my emotions in check. I fear what measures I will take when we are in reach of the prince."

Standing back up she again addresses the others, "Do we eliminate the camp? Do we take a chance that their presence will not in some way hinder our chances of sneaking aboard the caravan?" She watches as Crolwell swings his axe and can sense what his opinion on the matter is, if one can ever be sure of Crolwell's opinion...

"Time is short, we must make a decision and I believe Aelar should have the final say..."
Oct 30, 2015 2:20 am
Aelar gives Utes a grateful look before speaking, "I think allowing them to attack the caravan would be the best distraction we could hope for, but Utes is right, we can't allow it, we don't know if these men have committed any crime aside from being paid by the Bard. I think we should kill them and leave the corpses, and rely on out illusions to do the rest of the work. There's not guarantee, but it's a solution I can live with. Unless anyone else has a better idea?"
Last edited October 30, 2015 2:20 am
Oct 30, 2015 2:47 am
Crolwell does not challenge it, but frowns dissapointedly and lets his axe fall to his side.
Oct 30, 2015 3:55 am
Ramas has been keeping his eye on the road and the suns position, checking back every once in a while. "Either way we should hurry. I would guess we have 45 minutes at most before the caravan will be in sight." He draws his two short swords. "Which way was this encampment Aelar?"
Oct 30, 2015 4:06 am
Aelar stands and draws his rapier, "It's this way, stay a bit behind me, I'll land the first blow, you'll know when it's your time to strike," he says as he stalks off silently. As he approaches the camp he will cast a spell on the closest bugbear, causing his head to suffer agonizing pain.

OOC: Casting Dissonant Whispers. He will make a DC 13 wis save. On a failure he will run away as far as he can as a reaction and take 3d6 psychic damage, on a success he we take half damage and not run away.

Rolls

Stealth [advantage] - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

1d20+5 : (16) + 5 = 21

Dissonant Whispers - (3d6)

(165) = 12

Oct 30, 2015 4:15 am
"Excellent, then I will follow your lead!" I attempt to take the same path as Aelar, and travel in the same manner so as to remain undetected while he lands the first blow.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Oct 30, 2015 4:23 am
As the group approaches the encampment Xadira catches her robes as she sneaks and brushes up against a large bush. One of the bugbears hears the rustle and halts the goblins who are still skirmishing. "I heard something, over there", he says as he points over in your general area. As the group starts to move that way suddenly the lead bugbear grabs his head and starts roaring.

Visions race through his head and he looks around nervously before turning around and running the opposite direction as far as he can. The remaining goblins and hobgoblins are in a bit of confusion. You spot the opening for your attack.

GM: Using the new initiative system I'll give your team first round since your dissonant whisper distracted most of them. So you all go, then the monsters will all get their turn. Make the first wave count! Also naming enemies this match to see if this helps.

Damage:
Klarg (Bugbear): 12 dmg (fear)
Bruiser (Bugbear): 0 dmg
Scar (Goblin): 0 dmg
Trip (Goblin): 0 dmg
Vic (Goblin): 0 dmg

Rolls

Save vs Fear (DC13) - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Oct 30, 2015 4:33 am
Aelar, seeing their opening leaps forward and strikes hard against the closest enemy he can find, "Come on, we've got them now," he shouts, encouraging his friends.

OOC: Bardic Inspiration on Utes, you have a d6 to add to a single d20 roll you make

Rolls

Rapier attack - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (14) + 5 = 19

1d8+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Oct 30, 2015 4:35 am
Ramas hears the roar of Klarg and dashes in, swords at the ready. He charges Scar and slices at him with both weapons.

Rolls

Sword 1 Attack - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Sword 1 Damage - (1d6+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Sword 2 Attack - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Sword 2 Damage - (1d6+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 30, 2015 4:42 am
[ GM: As far as positioning the three goblins are out front headed towards the edge of this clearing, one bugbear is standing just behind them, the other has taken off for the other side of the clearing while screaming.
Oct 30, 2015 4:43 am
I whisper an incantation, aiming for the closest Bugbear.

OOC: Casting Firebolt on Bruiser.

Rolls

Firebolt - (1d20+6)

(18) + 6 = 24

Damage? - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Oct 30, 2015 5:12 am
Crolwell runs forward, swinging his axe towards the bugbear's feet. His eyes are flashing with battle fury.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+6)

(7) + 6 = 13

Damage - (1d12+6)

(11) + 6 = 17

Oct 30, 2015 5:20 am
[ GM: Crolwell can go ahead and roll damage for attacks when you roll for attack. That way if it hits I can just dole out the damage. Also, once everyone has gone I will go ahead and narrate how it all plays out when I do the monster turn. Try and cut down on the number of posts I'm interjecting into things. :) ]
Oct 30, 2015 4:00 pm
With shield in hand (AC 19) Ütés will engage Trip and take a swing with her new longsword.

Rolls

Attack [+6] - (1d20+6)

(14) + 6 = 20

Damage [+4] - (1d8+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

load next

Thread locked