Character Creation

Aug 31, 2015 11:18 pm
Alright, I'll run through the basics of character creation. There may be many questions, I have the PDF of the rulebook so I will do my best to answer any of them.

Step 1: Set Stats
First off you have to set your base stats. They are broken into three groups. Your physical stats, mental stats, and social stats. Then in each of these three groups there is your offensive stat, and defensive stat.

Physical
Dexterity (Offensive) - Coordination and motor skills
Vitality (Defensive) - Physical strength and toughness

Mental
Logic (Offensive) - Awareness of surroundings and thinking on your feet. Computer interaction.
Willpower (Defensive) - Mental resilience. Remembering the past and resisting the horrors in front of you.

Social
Charisma (Offensive) - Social skills and demeanor
Empathy (Defensive) - Sympathise with others and determine lies.

All of these six stats will have a number on the scale of 1 - 5. When you set your stats each of these gets a default '1'. Then you have 10 points to distribute among them to increase their values. None can ever go above a 5.

There is a system, afterwards, to vote on if these numbers should be changed (since you are in a normal game trying to set them to be the same as you would have in real life), but we may skip that process and just hope people are true to either themselves, or a person that is themselves-adjacent. We are officer workers in a mundane job. If you want to make up a fictional character, they should still be an office worker. Though they will definitely end up unique in comparison to others. Maybe your person does weight lifting so is stronger, but a little bit less charismatic.

Step 2: Choose Features
These are what make your character truly unique and individual. You start with one positive, and one negative, feature in each of the three stat categories. These are going to be completely made up by the players, but here are a few examples right out of the rulebook:

Positive Physical
Distance Runner
Weight Lifter
Very Flexible
Martial Artist
Crack Shot
Iron Stomach

Negative Physical
Allergies
Sedentary
Bad Back
Very Nearsighted
Injured Eardrum
Weak Stomach

It would be a lot of typing to list out examples for the other two categories of stats, but hopefully you are getting the idea. These are features for your characters that will both help, or hinder you as you try and survive this world. Make them unique to your character, and things that are actionable in various situations.

Now we outfit our team.

Step 3: Record Equipment
Now you write down what your character starts with. Again, we are office workers in a mundane job, and what your characters start with is what they would be carrying on them if they planned to work, and then go play some games in the office after hours. Again if we aren't ourselves there is leeway on what you would be carrying, and you can use this to add more interesting backstory to your character.

Jot things you think would be pertinent. Cell phone charge level, money or credit cards in your wallet. glasses, contacts, etc. More will be collected along the way.

Step 4: Record Traumas
Last we write down any traumas your character may have. These are physical maladies that will heal over time. If these characters are based off of you, you only have to place traumas you are comfortable sharing. They could be things like sprained ankles, colds, exhaustion from too many late-night shifts, bad break up recently. You can start with up to one trauma in each of the three categories. These will be set at a severity of '2'.

Generally traumas work like negative features. You can also take on traumas to alleviate stress. We will go over all of that later. Each player will be required to come up with one trauma to bring to the game.

All Done
These are all of the basic setup steps for making a new character. We removed the voting for stat changes, but other than that this is the regular system for End of the World.
Sep 1, 2015 5:05 pm
Kel

Stats
Dex: 2
Vit: 2

Log: 3
Will:3

Cha: 2
Emp: 4

Features
Physical: (+) Ignores Expiration Dates / (-)Terrible Runner
Mental: (+)Armchair Survivalist / (-)Easily Distracted
Social: (+)Peacemaker / (-)Assumes the Worst in Others

Stress
PHYSICAL MENTAL SOCIAL
3 [ ][ ][ ] 3 [ ][ ][ ] 3 [ ][ ][ ]
2 [ ][ ][ ] 2 [ ][ ][ ] 2 [ ][ ][ ]
1 [ ][ ][ ] 1 [ ][ ][ ] 1 [ ][ ][ ]

Traumas
Drinky - I probably drink too often at night, at home after work. Not an angry drunk, never drink at work or drive drunk.

Equipment
Smart phone
Laptop
Blood Glucose Monitor
Jerky/Nuts/20 oz. Diet Soda
Compact Car
Car Charger (cellphone)
Game Books/Dice/Pencils/Pens
Shoulder Bag
Glasses
Wallet ($10,Debit Card, Credit Card)
Lunch Bag (empty)
Travel Coffee Mug (empty)

Physical Description
I am 46, overweight, and put very little money into clothing. Dress is "business casual" at work. T-Shirt and shorts when home.

Background
I work in the office as a program planner. For me, my job is just that. A paycheck. I don't like what I do. I track the status to completion on projects and work with the different sections of the office to make sure things happen on time and at the right price, quality, etc, reporting out to leadership. BORING. It pays the bills, however, and at my age, now with one of my kids almost college age, a mortgage and dreams of a cabin up north, I can't afford to follow my dream of writing or publishing games or running a hobby store.

Gaming has been a part of my life since 5th grade. I've been enjoying this work gaming group as a way to get back into face to face gaming.
Last edited September 2, 2015 11:31 am
Sep 1, 2015 5:46 pm
This is my first End of the World character, Howard. I'm probably going to make a few more, just to enjoy the process even more.

Howard

Stats:
PHYS: DEX: 3 | VIT: 2
MENT: LOG: 2 | WIL: 2
SOCI: CHR: 3 | EMP: 4

Features:
PHYS: Throws well (+), Bad knees (-)
MENT: Vivid imagination (+), Nostalgic (-)
SOCI: Witty (+), Judging/sarcastic (-)

Equipment:
* Clothes (windbreaker, hoodie, short-sleeved collared shirt and tie, slacks, belt, medical arm-sleeve, semi-comfortable semi-dress shoes)
* Smart phone & charger
* earbuds
* laptop bag with company laptop & cables (also contains D&D manuals, grid paper, pencils, dice, and a paperback book to read on the bus)
* keys on ring (including keys to the car with a dead alternator in the shop and keys to the supply room and filing cabinets)
* old swiss army knife with red panels removed (carried since newer leatherman was confiscated at the airport)
* wallet (with ID, library cards, bank card, pictures of kids, and a lot of receipts instead of cash)
* wedding ring in my pocket
* tube of Kelo-kote
* reading glasses
* warehouse store bag of chips and jar of salsa for gaming snacks
* 6-pack of Dr. Zevia soda (trying to cut down on sugar)
* spare change earmarked for laundry machine but probably to be used for candy machine in the office break room
* duffel bag (with jeans, sneakers, and T-shirt to change into after work)
* airline sock-booties (when I started at the company, I got to go on flights. One time only I got on a Virgin airlines flight, and they give out a huge number of giveaway items, even in coach. I've held onto all the little toiletry items I got on that flight, and I still use the booties when I kick off my shoes after work to game).

Traumas:
PHYS: Skin cancer - 2 (They removed a divot from my arm recently. I now have a gruesome scar with crusted black stitches across my elbow and have to both apply Kelo-kote to the wound every day to accelerate the healing and wear a pressure sleeve over the wound to reduce edema)
MENT: Affair - 2 (I had an affair with a co-worker in this office and my wife divorced me when she found out about it. She's recently moved away with the kids. It's possible that no one else in the office knows, but I could be deluding myself)
SOCI: Overeater - 2 (I relieve my stress through compulsive snacking. I'm not overweight, yet, but my paunch is growing and I have a lot of stress that I don't know how to handle)
Last edited September 1, 2015 5:49 pm
Sep 1, 2015 6:07 pm
Those look perfect. Love the inventories too.

spaceseeker19:
Great traumas. I would say Skin Cancer isn't exactly a level 2 trauma but the description sounds more just like an arm wound, which is exactly level 2. Traumas in general are always something you can recover from (I will probably post this over in the how to post as well) within a certain time frame.

Recovering:
Severity 1 - One to two days
Severity 2 - One to two weeks
Severity 3 - One to two months

There is also the possability for permanent effects from your traumas. Like if you lose an arm as a trauma, your character will heal from it, but may add a negative feature of "One Arm".
Sep 1, 2015 6:14 pm
Also, during the course of the game, try and consider how any equipment or items you pick up could also be leveraged to help you complete things. Maybe you that candy bar you have in your pocket could be offered to a wary survivor with a gun to try and help a charisma check to get him to lower his gun.
Sep 1, 2015 9:54 pm
I'll try and have a character ready sometime this evening, but can't make any promises. Both of "The End of the World" books use the same core rules, yes?
Sep 1, 2015 10:18 pm
Yes, they should I believe, though I haven't seen the new Fury of the Gods book. Or whatever it is called.
Sep 2, 2015 12:35 am
Interesting exercise in character creation... Couldn't go totally truthful about myself of course, as you won't allow stats above 5. (HA!)

Jacob Williams

STATS
Physical: DEX:3/VIT:2
Mental: LOG:4/WIL:2
Social: CHA:2/EMP:3

FEATURES
Physical: Moves Quickly(+)/Recurring Left Knee Issues(-) (Old hockey injury)
Mental: Very Good With Computers(+)/Irrational Fear of Rodents(-)
Social: Good With Kids(+)/Shy Around Groups(-)

STRESS:
Physical Mental Social

EQUIPMENT:
Smart Phone (Fully charged)
Thermos of Tea (Full)
Keys with Keyfob for the car.
Wallet (Credit Card with low limit, Driver's License, $15)
Backpack
- RPG Book
- Lined Notebook
- Pencils
- Dice
- Pack of Gum
- Reading Glasses
- Dalek Figurine (for luck!)
iPod with Earphones
Sunglasses (Wearing, see Trauma)
64GB Flash Drive
Walking shoes (wearing)
Loose jeans.
Three button collared shirt (with Detroit Red Wings logo on the chest)

TRAUMA
Recently had eye surgery and has trouble seeing in bright light.

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION
45 Years Old
6'2" and 180#
Almost waist length hair kept back in a pony tail.
Last edited September 2, 2015 4:39 pm
Sep 2, 2015 4:25 am
That's perfect. The characters all look great. There is one spot still open in the game, but would you like to go ahead and start now, and bring in another person later, or would you rather wait till we have 4 people? I'll put it to you guys to decide. I'm good either way.
Sep 2, 2015 4:32 am
Also, I should have put this on the sample character sheet I stated, and made it clear. For each category you should have a structure that looks kind of like this:

3 [ ][ ][ ]
2 [ ][ ][ ]
1 [ ][ ][ ]

This will track your stress in each of the three stat categories. Physical, mental, and social. If you ever fill these up with stress, you are 'dead' for all intensive purposes. The guide book says a physical death is actual death. Mental is that you simply go insane beyond recovery, and social is a complete catatonic state and utter loss of faith in humanity. So it's important to use the method of healing stress I mentioned in the How To thread to manage the levels of stress by converting it into traumas that heal over time.
Sep 2, 2015 6:38 pm
Thanks for adding me to the game! This will be my first game on this site, and also my first time playing End of the World. I hope that's not an issue.
Here's the character I made.

Andrew

Stats:
Dexterity: 3
Vitality: 3

Logic: 3
Willpower: 2

Charisma: 3
Empathy: 2

Features:
Physical: (+) Martial Artist/Wrestling background / (-) Very Nearsighted
Mental: (+)Knows how to drive Standard / (-) Arachnophobia
Social: (+)does Volunteer work and is generally friendly and helpful / (-) Bad at Conflict Resolution

Stress:
PHYSICAL MENTAL SOCIAL

Equipment:
iPhone 6+ (full charge)
portable powerbank and cords for charging USB devices (fully charged)
Gallon jug of green tea
Messenger Bag
RPG books, dice, pencils, notebook
2010 Ford Focus (standard transmission)
Gym Bag with spare clothes and sneakers (in car)
Sleeping bag and pillow (in trunk of car)
Rain/Winter Jacket (depending on our setting)
Key-ring on carabiner clipped to belt
Folding Buck knife (made in America, not China)
Wallet (debit card, folding credit card knife, no cash)
Glasses

Trauma:
Raised in an abusive home and does not respond well to male authority figures or people with a "take charge" or "go get em" attitude.

Physical Description:
24 year old white male, brown hair and eyes, simple clothes, glasses, 6'4" and 250 lbs, wearing maintenance outfit because I do maintenance/janitorial work at the office
Sep 2, 2015 7:55 pm
That's perfect Starhelm. Welcome to the game and the site. Hope you enjoy it. I'll be posting up the first post tonight. :)
Sep 2, 2015 7:57 pm
24 years old? You can defend us old guys then, right? RIGHT? :-)
Sep 2, 2015 11:25 pm
Knows how to drive standard as a positive Mental feature! I love it; I've never thought of it that way!
Sep 3, 2015 1:22 am
Yeah that's good. The argument could be made for it to either be a dexterous, or an intelligence check. Nice work. Just to be safe does a standard mean the same as manual?
Sep 3, 2015 2:06 am
Yep, standard==manual.

(Man, I miss my GTI)
Sep 3, 2015 2:36 am
Also, Starhelm, could you put that character into a character sheet and submit it to the game in the games section? It gives me a shortcut I can use to pull up character sheets.

Just make a character sheet of type "custom" and paste that whole big thing in there. It's pretty much just one big empty text box.
Sep 3, 2015 3:23 am
Welcome aboard, Starhelm - my first time with this rules set too. Seems very simple
Sep 3, 2015 3:25 am
Oh I did start the story thread too, just so you are all aware. It's the forum thread called "The Story". I know, captain obvious, but figured I would just announce it here.
Sep 3, 2015 3:33 am
Kel is on it!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.