Chapter 1 - The City

load previous
Sep 5, 2015 12:40 am
With no family in the immediate area Jacob's only concern is getting to the basement. "I hope the wifi is still going strong, have to figure out if this is happening anywhere else."
Sep 5, 2015 1:59 am
[OOC: I'm not sure how to roll dice in chat, so I'll roll them IRL? I rolled a 4 for my positive and a 1 for my negative, And if I understand correctly, that's a failure?]
Sep 5, 2015 2:15 am
Andrew:
As you are skipping steps on the way down the stairs you slip down a few and bang your knee against the hand rail. You keep going through the pain and soon it is just a minor nuisance.

[ GM: To roll dice in the forum as you post (not in quick reply you have to go to 'Advanced') and then under the text box there should be an area to add new dice rolls. You have to save to see the results (to prevent cheating the dice). As far as this roll yes, you will add one stress to your physical stress boxes on the first level, I'll RP the results a bit, like above. ]
Sep 5, 2015 2:50 am
Kel tries to keep up, not being the most physically fit, but it's down, so gravity and all, and he's scared as fuck.

Rolls

+ D6 - (1d6)

(1) = 1

- D6 - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Sep 5, 2015 3:15 am
Kel:
You are able to keep up quite well as this group hurries down the stairs towards the basement.

Everyone:
As you all get to the bottom of the stairwell you come to the door of the basement. Tim gets down a few moments later, winded. He walks quickly over to the door and pushes on the bar to open the door. The entire basement is pitch black as he stumbles in and starts fumbling for a switch or anything to get some light in here. Pulling out a cell phone he tries to use the screen for light but can't seem to find a switch.
Sep 5, 2015 4:00 am
Kel feels safer down here regardless. He gets out his phone too, adding to the light. "Close your eyes for like 10 seconds, you'll adjust to the dark" he says, remembering that from some magazine.
Last edited September 5, 2015 4:00 am
Sep 5, 2015 4:35 am
For Jacob the dark is actually a welcome problem to have after his recent eye surgery. He tilts his sunglasses back high on his head and asks, "What's all down here, Tim? Any monitors we could turn on to give us at least a little bit of light?"
Sep 5, 2015 3:29 pm
Howard tries to remember the presence/location of the keychain flashlight giveaway items.

Nope. Can't remember. Howard loudly rustles through the giant bag of chips and crunch some loudly.

In addition to failing the test, I have a negative die left over. With the negative die on this test, I take MENTAL stress, correct?

Physical
3 [][][]
2 [][][]
1 [][][]

Mental
3 [][][]
2 [][][]
1 [X][][]

Social
3 [][][]
2 [][][]
1 [][][]
Last edited September 5, 2015 3:37 pm

Rolls

Positive - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Negative - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Sep 5, 2015 8:26 pm
[ GM: Correct. You have a mental stress from the situation. ]

"Wait, 10 seconds, that can't possibly work", you hear Tim call from the dark room. Roughly 10 seconds later you hear, "Holy shit, guys, it works.

A few moments later he flips a switch in the basement and fluorescent lights start to flicker to life slowly.
Sep 5, 2015 8:30 pm
As the lights flicker on slowly across the length of the room you see the basement utility room. It's a fairly expansive room maybe 40 foot long and 20 foot wide. As you come in the door you see a row of pipes coming out of the wall and going up into the ceiling, as well as a bank of power meters slowly ticking away.

The light slowly fills and brightens the space and you noticed a quick scurrying as a few small rats dart behind cover, and probably into a hole somewhere, to avoid notice. Other than the meters and a boiler there is only one more door on the far wall of this room just labeled "UTILITIES".

Another faint shudder is felt under your feet, probably another impact, but you barely feel it, it must have been much further away.
Sep 5, 2015 9:34 pm
Howard looks: is Tim in here with us, or does it seem like he's behind the UTILITIES door?

Howard sets down the bag of chips and looks for something to wipe his hands on. Nope; forgot to bring napkins or paper towels in his bag. He wipes his fingers on his pants, making a mental note to stain treat them when he does laundry later (reassured that he still has all his quarters in his pocket). Also, *is* the WiFi still working? If not, Howard turns on cell data on his phone. His idea is to check for a breaking news report or a civil defense warning. He's tempted to call Janet (his paramour), and then feels guilty about not thinking of calling his wife, and then is saddened to remember the divorce. He uses his phone in one hand and eats some more chips.

If there's no data (maybe reception down deep belowground is bad?), he'll give up after a minute and try to distract himself. "So...anyone up to game some more? It looks like we have some time..."

If he can get data, Howard will instead be absorbed the next few minutes, browsing for news, then inevitably ending up on social media sites.
Sep 5, 2015 9:42 pm
Tim is still in this room with you. As you check your phone you see that you have no service and can't seem to detect the wifi down here. It seems like it may be the structure down here. This thing seems to be built like a bunker, which may seem reassuring. As long as you don't also recognize how much it is like a tomb.
Sep 5, 2015 9:58 pm
Jacob quickly puts his sunglasses back over his eyes as the lights flicker to life. He walks over to the what appears to be a utility closet and will try to open the door.
Sep 5, 2015 10:08 pm
"Hey, guys - we should probably stay in the stairwell. They are usually the most structurally sound parts of a high-rise building." Kel spoke, recalling a book he had read about 9/11. He thought about how he was always hoping for something exciting to happen...well, this certainly is it.
Sep 5, 2015 10:11 pm
Jacob:
The door is locked. It's a standard metal door.
Sep 5, 2015 10:19 pm
As Jacob is walking back from the Utilities Room he hears Kel suggest the stairwell. "Might not be a bad idea, really. Might be able to get some sort of signal from there as well." He stops next to Tim and asks "Know of anyway to get into the utilities closet?"
Sep 5, 2015 10:29 pm
"I only have the one key, but I can try it.", Tim says as he walks to the door. He tries the key in the door but it doesn't budge.

"Andrew, you're maintenance, did you bring keys with you?", he asks.
Sep 6, 2015 5:38 am
"Uhhh, yeah, hold on. I should have them..."
Andrew rustles around in his bag, then his pockets, then his back pockets, and finally the cargo pockets on his pants, eventually pulling out a large key ring with at least fifty keys on it.
"... it's just a matter of finding which key. And that can be a real pain."
He starts trying keys in the door, one by one.
"Honestly I think it's pretty ridiculous we have this many keys. The building isn't even that big, and I think I've only ever used the same five keys in my duties!"
Andrew gives a nervous chuckle and stretches out the leg on which he banged his knee, clearly trying to take his mind off the current situation.
Last edited September 6, 2015 5:39 am
Sep 6, 2015 11:24 am
"I wonder how big this is? Is this affecting the whole country?" While partially in the stair well, Kel tries to see if 4G reception is any better...trying to look at CNN's mobile site.
Sep 6, 2015 8:36 pm
As Andrew opens the door to utilities you hear more scuttling as light fills the small room. Rats scatter from the light into another hold in the foundation. Inside here you find fairly common cleaning supplies. Mops, brooms, some basic cleaners, as well as tools for maintenance. Basic wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers.

Kel:
As you go into the stairway you go from 'No Signal' to 'E'. The speed is very slow but with enough time you are able to finally get the CNN homepage. There is a breaking news update that meteors have struck the area around Laracaster and at least two touched down in the area. Your signal is very spotty so you can't quite learn more at the time. The last thing you read is that it is advised to stay indoors for the next few hours to ensure the shower has finished.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.