Wondering which system interests players

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 3, 2015 9:22 am
I admit it; I'm a games collector. As such, I have scads of RPGs I've never played, and others that I love that hardly anyone else has ever played. I'm trying to get a sense of what games players would be interested in having me run.

Got a favorite system, or are curious about a system? Suggest it; I might have it, and might be inspired by the suggestion to run a game in it.

At the moment, I'm considering the following systems off the top of my head:

* AD&D, D&D (from the Cyclopedia), or D&D5 - D&D scratches a nostalgic itch for me, but I wonder if we've reached saturation with D&D games on GP yet. Are there still players who'd like to get in some D&D?

* Skyrealms of Jorune - Probably in my top five games to run, SoJ has a very rich SF setting, with a SF-fallen-into-barbarism-after-an-apocalypse theme, and I suspect is well-suited to the sort of storytelling that PbP supports. Also: anthropomorphic animals, unique vocabulary, and magic!

* Protectors - a homebrew version of Space Seekers, which is a storytelling space opera game in which you play normal people placed in extraordinary situations (usually involving aliens, spaceships, and tremendously dangerous weapons). I'm excited about the recent RPG "End of the World," which apparently has a similar PC setup; I love playing in games and running games in which players play themselves or people much like themselves. I've been doing it for 25 years, though I came late to the party (Space Seekers has been going since 1982).

* The Taint - my favorite superhero game, the Taint is a 90s dice pool RPG in which players have a mutant strain that may or may not manifest itself as a superpower right away. The TV show "Heroes" seemed cribbed from the Taint when it first aired.

* Paranoia - Chaos and humor? My wheelhouse. Paranoia is THE "darkly humorous game." I'm most familiar with 1st and 2nd editions, but as far as I've seen, the variance between editions is as slight as the difference between CoC editions...which is to say, almost negligible. Still, if you want to play Paranoia in any edition, let me know.

Finally, if there's a particular type of game that you want to play, but don't particularly care about which system it's run in, let me know that, too. I'll probably have three systems that could work for any flavor of game.
Sep 3, 2015 5:59 pm
If you hit the button for "New Game" you get a breakdown of the Top 10 "LFG" sets (5e rules that right now). If there is another way to see that list I don't know it. From the looks of it though, most people are down to try anything here from what I have seen. If you want to bring something new to the table, I am guessing you will not lack people to want to try it.
Last edited September 3, 2015 5:59 pm
Sep 3, 2015 7:49 pm
I know about the list, and most of the games on the list are being run in several games at the moment. But it's a good reminder that I should check there, too. Thanks for the encouragement!
Sep 4, 2015 2:03 am
I have a bunch of Corebooks I'm working on trying to get to. I finally got the End of the World game going, but also Fate, Apocalypse World, Gamma World (Gamma Five for D&D 5e), Song of Ice and Fire, Mouse Guard.
Sep 12, 2015 1:02 am
OK, so, unable to decide (but wanting to run a game), I'll do it the traditional RPG way:

I'll roll a die.

Five choices, so I'll toss a d10.

Oh, die-rolls not enabled in this forum, so I'll roll my own.

Edit: It's a 4, so Skyrealms of Jorune! Cool! I'll get started on that immediately.
Last edited September 12, 2015 1:04 am
Sep 12, 2015 3:53 am
They're enabled for this forum, but they're disabled by default on the thread. You should be able to edit the OP and allow them.
Sep 12, 2015 4:31 am
Skyrealms of Jorune sounds awesome, I've never heard of it before.
Sep 12, 2015 6:13 am
Same here, never heard of it before, but sounds awesome! :-D
Sep 12, 2015 7:43 pm
Working on the character generation info to add some background info; I should have it posted to a new thread by the end of the weekend.
Sep 13, 2015 5:21 am
Shakka_Kairn says:
legend of the five rings
Which edition interests you in particular?
Sep 13, 2015 2:45 pm
spaceseeker19, you make it sound like as if you and I are cut from the same cloth. My RPG collection is also large and diverse, and most of them I'll probably never play, as my gaming troupes tend to play extended campaigns that last 1 to 2 years.

I, too, would be really interested in Skyrealms of Jorune, as I've heard only good things about it.
Sep 13, 2015 10:47 pm
I've started a thread for people who want to know more about Skyrealms of Jorune; I'll take this conversation over there, and return to this one when I'm next looking to start a game.
http://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/969/
Sep 16, 2015 6:09 am
Do You own Numenera by a case? I would prefer slim, story/exploration/discovery driven Cypher system to anything else.
Last edited September 16, 2015 6:09 am
Sep 16, 2015 6:42 am
It's a fun system, and well-suited to Play-by-post; I'll probably run a game of it in the future.
Sep 16, 2015 7:45 am
I also own Numenera and want to run it on here someday haha I kickstarted the boxed set but I have yet to play it at all so I want to get some more experience with it first.
Sep 16, 2015 12:05 pm
Firstly if you run Numenera game and will keep it active and alive, story oriented/discovery driven as any Numenera game should be i would gladly join. Please do make a game, there quite few (quite alot) active Numenera players on this site.

Secondly, i am GMing in one active Numenera game. We lost one player on our way, if any of you like i may and could inject substitute player for free slot when new Act starts. (I will check with players first, but i gues they will accept this gladly)
There will be few requirments for character to fit the story, ofcourse, but almost without any restriction to CC process.
Sep 16, 2015 6:39 pm
Of your list, Seeker -- I own a couple of 'em myself (Paranoia and Jorune). I spent some time with the Jorune manuals from my box-set last night and it didn't reach out and grab me. I figure I can probably play 1-2 games, so I'm trying to make sure I'm jazzed by it to ensure I don't turn into a (zzz) player.

I'd play Paranoia in a second. I've thought about whether or not to run a Paranoia campaign myself. At this point, I'd rather play some PbP before I step into DMing one. At this point I'm debating Force and Destiny or The One Ring (anyone out there have a preference?)

Like you (and others on this thread) I have a plethora of RPGs. Some I've played (Space Opera, Traveller, D&D), most I haven't, some which have gone the way of the do-do (Champions).

You do not have permission to post in this thread.