The Severed Hand

load previous
Nov 10, 2018 6:10 pm
As Zenithral tries to magically clean away the tar from Alalla's clothes and armor, it suddenly bubbles. In a sudden mass it surges toward Ug and tries to envelope him, but the goliath's razor sharp senses warn him and he ducks back barely in time.

The tar collapses to the floor in a puddle, then tries to squirm away.
OOC:
Everybody gets an opportunity attack!

It has AC 14 and 50 hp.

Rolls

1-6 = Al, Ug, Fergy, Ras, Zen, Erevain - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Ug Dex save DC 16 (adv from Danger Sense) - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (15) + 2 = 17

1d20+2 : (12) + 2 = 14

Nov 10, 2018 6:26 pm
"Hi-Yah!"
Fergy throws a handaxe at the thing.

Rolls

Handaxe - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Handaxe damage - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Nov 10, 2018 6:29 pm
""Eeuh!!" Zenithral whips out his shortsword and slashes at it. (5 damage)
Last edited November 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Rolls

Shortsword - (1d20+8)

(18) + 8 = 26

Damage - (1d6+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Nov 10, 2018 7:52 pm
Last time Ug attacked a black gooey substance it ruined his weapon. Not taking any chances, Ug tries to dilute the thing.
Last edited November 10, 2018 7:52 pm

Rolls

ug urinates on the blob - (1d4+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Nov 10, 2018 8:27 pm
"Aagh!" Al stabs down with her flaming sword, then pulls it away as the flames begin to sizzle under Ug's assault.

"Ug, why?? We have enough to deal with right now!" She grimaces. "I thought you said you were going to have that looked at. I hope this isn't what you meant."

Ooze takes 17 damage (10 is fire).
Last edited November 10, 2018 8:31 pm

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+9)

(6) + 9 = 15

Damage - (1d10+5, 2d6)

1d10+5 : (1) + 5 = 6

2d6 : (55) = 10

Damage reroll - (1d10+15)

(2) + 15 = 17

Nov 10, 2018 9:31 pm
Ras grimaces at the slimey thing and then snaps his fingers. A bonfire appears on top of the slime.

Blob must make a DC 17 dex saving throw or take 15 damage
Last edited November 10, 2018 9:31 pm

Rolls

Fire damage - (3d8)

(816) = 15

Nov 11, 2018 1:55 am
While it's hard to tell exactly how they are wounding the creature - whatever it is - when the party is finished all that remains of the ooze is a black smear on the ground.

With the way before them clear, the companions proceed through the arboretum and to the stairway leading up.

The next floor of the tower appears to be more living quarters. Unlike the rooms below, these are much more personalized and comfortable, suggesting that perhaps elves of more means once occupied them.

The heroes proceed carefully, wary of whatever horrors may lurk here. Still, nothing appears to threaten them. After some short investigation of the rooms, they find an old book in a dusty drawer - the same book they saw in Kaylessa's psychic manifestation. The diary of Evayne, daughter of Larrel.

A quick perusal of the book shows that many of the pages are faded nearly unto dust, but there are some parts still legible it seems to be a history of Evayne's dealing with the dwarves of Dorn's Deep.

Written in beautiful, flowing Elvish, a passage near the beginning reads:

...contrary to popular belief, our Dwarven friends do not exist on a diet of rocks and dirt. I was recently invited to visit their wonderful stronghold, Dorn's Deep.

In this architectural wonder, hidden away in one of the most beautiful forests in the North, I entered figuring to be covered in soot from some filthy underground mine unbefitting a High Elf of my stature. Much to my surprise, my eyes were instead treated to amazing works of beauty and craftsmanship.

Our Dwarven friends proceeded to take me on a tour, pointing out each piece in thorough detail. I smiled, impressed that one of the lesser races had such talent in them to create such works. Of course, they paled in comparison to what our Elven artisan's can do, but this was not the time to point out their flaws...

This followed by more faded commentary on getting to know the bearded folk. The diary ends with this:

...so it has come to this. The orc and goblin forces grow stronger with each victory. Where they attained the weapons of the alliance is still a mystery, but I believe in my heart that it was not through the dwarves. We have succeeded in stifling their advances but it wont hold for long. We have taken severe casualties and our forces are dwindling rapidly.

Negotiations are over with our former friends. We are now in open conflict with them. As much as I love my father, I blame him for this. Ever since we found the weapons in the horde's possession, father has been completely irrational. Any discussions had with our former friends ended in bitter accusations and resentment. He adamantly believes that the dwarves betrayed us and listens to nothing they have to say in their defense.

Am I the only one who sees that both sides are going to die horribly if this continues? Father does not see reason in putting aside hostilities with the dwarves so that we may unite against our common enemy. I spoke to him of going Dorn's Deep to approach our old friends. He lashed out at me in anger and sent me out of the astrolabe.

I now make preparations to leave home and ride to Dorn's Deep myself. Arannis, my dear friend, has offered to accompany me. I know it pains him to leave at this time, but reaching the dwarven stronghold without help will likely be impossible at this point. I know in my heart what must be done and this is the only way. Perhaps I have more of my father's stubbornness than I thought.
OOC:
Also added this stuff to the Documents thread.
Nov 11, 2018 2:40 am
Looking like he can read Elvish, Fergy contemplates the writing for a bit before nodding.

"If you read between the lines, it's quite clear that this plane is scheduled to be invaded by beings from the Shadow Realm in about... 13 days? No forgot to carry the one, 23 days. Whew, we are very lucky to have gotten this message in time. It says here their one weakness is... Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that! Seduction, facinating! Well everyone, we have 23 days to polish our beards, comb our tusks, and sharpen our ears, because it's the only thing that can save the world."
Nov 11, 2018 3:18 am
Erevain raises an eyebrow and leans toward Ras. "You keep him to amuse you? As a boy would keep a pet monkey, or snake?"
Nov 11, 2018 3:24 am
"I don't think he amuses anyone anymore." Al takes one last glance around for anything useful. "Lets take this to Larrel. I'm tired of being involved in their grudges."
Nov 11, 2018 3:32 am
Fergy chuckles to himself at overhearing Erevain.

If only they knew what is really coming, what I've seen in the divine flows of Chaos...
Nov 11, 2018 4:43 am
Diary acquired, the party returns back the way they came. Oddly, when they pass again through the arboretum, they find that the corrupted hippogriff corpses look different. Where their faces once sported tentacles, now there are only slimy, gaping wounds. The tentacles couldn't have... crawled off on their own?

Continuing on quickly, they proceed past Sehriya's room. Her chants of "Mother always comes back!" are enough to keep them moving down to the Palm.

The grand chamber where they fought Kaylessa is caked with black dust now, rather than slime. With speed as their goal, the companions continue on to the staircase marked by a setting sun - the same symbol scrawled by Lathelas on one of the lower floors. The tower of Labelas Enoreth, the Sage at Sunset.

Weapons at the ready, and nerves frayed, the heroes climb the stairs.

The first floor they come to is a sprawling, multileveled library. A withered elf dressed in wizard's robes stands on an upper balcony carrying several books. Upon the party's arrival, he looks them over with bored disinterest before carefully shelving one of his books.

There is yet another staircase leading up not far away.
Nov 11, 2018 9:47 pm
Fergy slides up next to the librarian, and initiates a conversation. "Why hello there. You look like you work out. Do you come here often?"

Rolls

Fergy being "friendly" - (1d20+9)

(13) + 9 = 22

Nov 12, 2018 3:32 pm
Zenithral tilts his head, then whispers to Alalla. "Something that doesn't want to kill us on sight? I don't trust him," he says only partially sardonically. (Zenithral keeps casting True Strike, just in case)
Nov 12, 2018 8:10 pm
The librarian turns to look at Fergy. The elf's skin is pulled taut across his face, leaving sharp cheekbones that nearly cut through the thin flesh. He responds with an expression full of dank hair and sharpened teeth. "The library is open, but mistreat my books and we will have words." He looks back to his shelf. "The last unlearned who spilled wine on a priceless treatise was banned for a century." He lets the threat hang in the air like an executioner's blade.
Nov 12, 2018 8:14 pm
Zenithral unconsciously glances towards his pack, thinking about his mangled "book" for spells and arcane archery. "Thank you for your service, preserving these works," Zenithral says with a quick bow, then turns to continue onward.
Nov 12, 2018 8:16 pm
"Even if the librarian doesn't want to kill us," Alalla mutters to Zenithral, "who's to say the books don't?"

Al grips her sword and glaive and risks making her voice louder. "Come on, Fergy. The sooner we see Larrel the sooner we can stop watching our shadows."
Nov 12, 2018 8:37 pm
Fergy tunes himself in with the flows of Chaos. He quickly walks through the stacks of books. Turning once, twice, and around a bit and going back almost in circles. With a few divisive actions, Fergy closes his eyes, reaches up on his tiptoes and pulls out a book seemingly at random.

Without even looking at it he takes it up to the librarian and asks if he can check it out of the library.

Rolls

Random book with a roll for DM - (1d100, 1d100)

1d100 : (28) = 28

1d100 : (18) = 18

Persuasion to check out the book - (1d20+9)

(8) + 9 = 17

Nov 13, 2018 2:21 am
The librarian looks down at the tome, then straight into Fergy's eyes. "Under normal circumstances, I would require a new member to be geased before removing a book from these shelves. However, you seem to be the trustworthy sort. For now." His eyes flash dangerously. "You may take the book, and return when you have finished reading it." The withered elf goes back to his work.

The book Fergy chose is written in a language he cannot read, but by now he recognizes the letters as Elvish.
Nov 13, 2018 2:27 am
"I am trustworthy, and will return it promptly." Fergy responds. Tucking the book under his arm carefully. Turning back to the group he Pat's his book, and says, "Ok guys, I'm ready."
Last edited November 13, 2018 2:27 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.