The Severed Hand

load previous
Nov 20, 2018 11:54 am
Vincent lays still on the deck of the ship. Forgotten by his new friends, and bleeding out, his last thought before passing out is, This plane is a lot deadlier than I remember.

Rolls

Death saving throw - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Nov 20, 2018 1:48 pm
Ras, dazed, finds himself stumbling toward to helm of the ship, turnips tumbling past him across the deck. He was supposed to be doing something... Maybe he was going to talk to Fergy? Maybe give him his cloak that was in Ras's hand for some reason. Or maybe he needed to help Uncle Oswald. Oswald always needed some kind of help. He tries to listen for Oswald's constant prattle, but it is too loud. What are all these noises?

Ras reaches the control room and the absence of Oswald shakes something in his brain. With a jolt, everything rushes back to him and he grabs the controls and tries to remember everything Oswald ever taught him about flying.

Rolls

Survival/flight - (1d20+9)

(1) + 9 = 10

Please don't kill everyone - (1d20+9)

(4) + 9 = 13

Nov 20, 2018 3:31 pm
Ras desperately seizes the controls, and the airship pitches again to one side. Evening sky and burning Hand careen wildly about as the companions spin through the air, but thanks to Alalla's quick work with the ropes everyone manages to stay onboard. After saving the party from turnip-death, Ug gets a healing potion to Vincent.

Ras fiddles some more with the controls and the airship's crazy lilt slows. With Uncle Oswald's lessons ringing in his ears and some good fortune, he manages to land the airship a short distance from the Hand. It isn't a pretty landing, the wooden beams groan as the ship settles, but for the first time in a long time the companions can breathe a sigh of relief - until the flapping of mighty wings announces the arrival of a dragon.

Fortunately, it is one they know.

Unfortunately, she seems angry.
Nov 20, 2018 3:39 pm
Silver wings glint red as Aerihykloarara lands nearby. Her scaled lips are bared in a snarl. "What is going on? What happened here?" Her expression barely softens as she recognizes the party. "What did you do?"
Nov 20, 2018 4:18 pm
"We escaped the assault of the ancient elf wizard, Larrel," Zenithral explains, clutching the side of his head. "We sought his help, and then he tried to kill us. As did many other things."

With a start, Zenithral remembers something. "Wait. Where's Halla, and the children!" He cuts the rope Alalla tied to him and immediately begins searching the ship.
Last edited November 20, 2018 4:20 pm

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+6)

(9) + 6 = 15

Investigation - (1d20+6)

(14) + 6 = 20

Nov 20, 2018 4:51 pm
Alalla helps Zenithral with the search. "Halla! Where are you? Harmony? Valiance!"
Nov 20, 2018 4:53 pm
Aerihykloarara snorts, coating Zenithral in a thin layer of frost. "You destroyed the only elven monument in the North! You know nothing of the wonders that once took place here. I - " The dragon bites off her next words and sighs, then squats down on her haunches to watch the flames. "Forgive me. You have just been through an ordeal, and I... I knew the people here. They were some of my oldest friends. I suppose it is better this way..." She sits in silence, remaining in dragon form.
Nov 20, 2018 5:02 pm
A quick search of the ship reveals no sign of Halla or the children. Perhaps they were not onboard? As Zenithral searches, he notices his skin is very damp. And slimy. And it burns (Zen takes 1 acid damage).

Rolls

Acid dmg to zen - (1d12)

(1) = 1

Nov 20, 2018 5:05 pm
Alalla snorts too, temper thin, as she pushes crates aside in her search. "It was destroyed long before we got here. Larrel just finished the job. At least now I won't have to lay awake wondering how to liberate everyone from their living nightmare."

Finding nothing, Al kicks one of the crates and snarls. Her hand opens and closes on air for a moment, then she turns to Erevain, voice tight. "I left my glaive in the Hand."
Last edited November 20, 2018 5:13 pm
Nov 20, 2018 5:09 pm
Erevain shakes his head. "No, I grabbed it on my way out, though I seem to have lost it in the fall." He holds out his hand and the glaive appears there. He hands it to Alalla, then steps up next to her and puts a hand on her shoulder. "Peace, sharuhk. She is not listening. And I think there is another who needs our attention." He gestures to Ras.
Nov 20, 2018 5:20 pm
Vincent notices Zen's burned skin. Something about it tickles the back of his memory, but he can't seem to bring it out.
Last edited November 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Rolls

Arcana check with advantage - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

1d20+4 : (4) + 4 = 8

Nov 20, 2018 5:20 pm
Ras, having managed to get the ship down safely, sits on the deck, holding a turnip. He turns it over and over in his hands, Fergy's cloak covering his knees. He doesn't seem to notice anything else going on, even Aeri.
Nov 20, 2018 5:23 pm
"Ahugh!" Zenithral moans, partly in frustration, partly in pain. He stumbles out onto the deck, head spinning. "Not feeling so well...acidic...skin?" He leans up against the mast and slumps to the ground then closes his eyes and begins carefully breathing in and out.

HP 3/86
Last edited November 20, 2018 5:29 pm
Nov 20, 2018 6:08 pm
Vincent experienced many indescribable things while trapped, and his mind doesn't quite work the way it used to. He is sure he has seen (and possibly had) a disease like this before, but he can't recall the specifics.

As the minutes pass, Zenithral feels the burn get worse (Zen takes 7 more acid damage, and is now dying).

As darkness settles fully, the group can hear hooves in the distance.

Rolls

Acid damage to Zen - (1d12)

(7) = 7

Nov 20, 2018 6:26 pm
Alalla puts her forehead to Erevain's briefly, then goes to Ras. She wants to say something comforting. Something that will help the ache. But there isn't really anything, she knows.

Just then Zenithral falls, and Al's warrior discipline hardens around her emotions.

"I'm sorry Ras, but we can't stop yet. Zenithral needs your help."
Last edited November 20, 2018 6:28 pm
Nov 20, 2018 6:28 pm
"How did you meet grandmother?," seven-year old Zenithral asked Arannis as the two of them carved wood into arrow shafts. "How come you married a human and not an elf? Not that I don't like both. But...won't she get old sooner than you will?"

Arannis continued to stare forward, carving off wood shavings in rhythmic strokes. "It is where the wind blew me, you might say," he answered cryptically. "She wasn't the first love of my life, but I'd prefer not to discuss such events. The past is done, and I doubt your learning of it will serve you any."

"What about when I get married?" Zenithral asked. "You wouldn't want me marrying someone you don't like as my mother did."

Arannis scowled. "Ask your grandmother...She's...better at these questions...And turn the shaft as you carve! That arrow will hardly fly straight now..."
Nov 20, 2018 7:16 pm
Ras blinks at Al, and then peers over at Zen. The half-elf does not look good. Ras isn't sure what is wrong with Zen, but it seems to be getting worse. Ras waves his hand toward Zen and then looks back down at his turnip.

Ras casts Heal on Zen. Zen gains 70 HP and is healed of any diseases.
Nov 20, 2018 7:28 pm
Zenithral's eyes flicker open, unfocused. His eyes settle on Ras, and he smiles and laughs. "You're one busy gnome: turning into eagles, flying ships through hellfire, and healing half-elves who can't stay on their feet. We're lucky to have you, Rastix." He calls. He notices Ras's expression and the turnip, frowning in confusion, then the realization hits him. "Oh...Ras...I'm...I'm sorry." He stands and walks over. "Can you...do what you did with Nessa?" he asks, wondering just how the gnome might be feeling. He starts and stammers. "I mean...the first time, because...well...you know, I better just stop talking..."
Nov 20, 2018 8:15 pm
No time for a sigh of relief. Next item of business. "Aeri, what's that sound? Who is coming this way?"
Nov 20, 2018 8:17 pm
Aeri ripples in what Alalla can only assume is a shrug. "Friends of yours, I would guess."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.