Chapter 8: The Wormwrithings

Oct 5, 2018 3:09 pm
After a few minutes of struggling, the frail prisoners are out of the pit. It's clear that they've been starved and abused.

The dwarves give their thanks, but the drow stand off to the side, looking as if they want to flee.

"Ya'll aren't from here, right?" one of the dwarves asks, "Mind if I ask what yer all doin' down here? Not that I'm complainin', mind!"
Oct 5, 2018 4:04 pm
"Looking for eggs of the purple kind," says Hunter. "Don't suppose you've seen any nearby?"
Oct 5, 2018 5:55 pm
The dwarves all look at each other before turning back, "Nah, can't say that we have," comes the expected reply.

While you're speaking to the dwarves, the two drow have taken a couple more steps away.
Oct 5, 2018 6:09 pm
Hunter nods her head, expectantly. "You and your friends okay?" she asks, tipping her head over to the backpedaling drow. "Both of you look so thin, I mistook you for short elves."
Oct 5, 2018 11:40 pm
"Yeah, we're fine," the dwarfs respond, then turn to the drow, "They ain't our friends. They was already here when they tossed us in."

The drow do not respond and just shuffle slightly further away.
Oct 6, 2018 12:19 am
"And they didn't eat you," says Hunter. "Was that a privilege saved for that... thing down there?"
Oct 6, 2018 2:31 am
OOC:
Where is Sarith? Is he reacting to the drow in any way?

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

Oct 6, 2018 4:24 am
"Hey, where you drow going?"

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 6, 2018 10:37 pm
"I'm thinkin' they were gonna eat us or sacrifice us," the dwarves reply, "But your guess is as good as mine!"

Mai'ngor looks about and doesn't see Sarith within the chamber.

One of the drow glares at Xeliss, "Away from here," the female says, "Unless you plan on taking us prisoner?"
Oct 6, 2018 11:10 pm
Hunter looks at the drow who speaks. "I don't recommend you go back that way. Do you know where the rest of these tunnels lead?"
Oct 8, 2018 10:21 pm
The drow stop for a moment and look at Hunter, "Never been here before," the female snarls before they disappear into the darkened tunnels.
Oct 8, 2018 10:25 pm
Hunter smirks. "Charming," she says, before looking at the dwarves. "I imagine you'd like to get out of here. The way we came in was safe when we first arrived; possibly still is."
Oct 11, 2018 1:25 am
The dwarves shrug, "Well, ain't no way we're gettin' out o' here alone. Mind if we tag along until we can get some gear so we can find our way home?"
Oct 11, 2018 3:13 am
Hunter shrugs, indicating that she's fine with the arrangement. "No riding the horse, though," she warns. "Let's try that far tunnel, and see if it leads out."
Oct 11, 2018 1:54 pm
OOC:
Which one is the far tunnel? Southeast?
Map
Oct 11, 2018 2:29 pm
It takes Mai'ngor a moment to realize he is the one being referred to as horse. A common enough misconception. Horses and tikbalang share common ancestry, and his people hold the beasts sacred. Mai'ngor leads the way down the tunnel that Hunter indicated.
OOC:
If there are none of the glowing fungi Mai'ngor will use Sinag to light the way.
Oct 11, 2018 4:00 pm
OOC:
I was thinking of the northeast tunnel from the prisoner cave.
Oct 11, 2018 4:37 pm
Heading down the northeast tunnel, you come to a fairly open cavern with minimal stalagmites on the ground. It is about 70 feet to the opposite side of the chamber and 50-60 feet wide. The light of Sinag falls over a group of four troglodytes in the center of the room, apparently guards of some kind based on their clear preparedness. As you appear, one of them begins to raise a horn to its lips!

Map
OOC:
You win initiative! Before they have a chance to blow the horn, you have a chance to act!

They currently stand about 30-40 feet away
Oct 11, 2018 6:24 pm
At the mouth of the tunnel, Hunter thinks to suppress a gasp, but quickly forgoes that in favor of weaving the incantation of her spell. Recalling the tumultuous chaos of having two people in her head, she levels her staff and sends an explosion of psychic energy upon the troglodytes.
OOC:
Spending 1 sorcery point for Empowered spell...

EDIT: Makes it 34 points of psychic damage.
[ +- ] [url=https://gamersplane.com/characters/dnd5/1194/
[ +- ] Synaptic Static
Last edited October 11, 2018 6:30 pm

Rolls

Synpatic Static psychic damage, INT save DC 17 for half - (8d6)

(63342263) = 29

Reroll 2s - (2d6)

(36) = 9

Wild Magic! - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Oct 11, 2018 6:40 pm
In the blink of an eye, Mai'ngor is right next to the horn-blower, slashing at it with his shining blade.
OOC:
Bonus: Misty Step.
Action: Sinag attack.

Rolls

Sinag, two-handed - (1d20+11, 1d10+7)

1d20+11 : (15) + 11 = 26

1d10+7 : (8) + 7 = 15

Attack #2 - (1d20+11, 1d10+7)

1d20+11 : (5) + 11 = 16

1d10+7 : (1) + 7 = 8

Oct 11, 2018 6:56 pm
As Mai'ngor moves to engage the enemies, they all groan loudly and fall to the ground, bleeding from their eye sockets.
OOC:
Combat over!
Oct 11, 2018 7:03 pm
Hunter approaches the fallen troglodytes to see if their weapons might prove useful to the freed dwarves. When she has the opportunity, she takes the signal horn.
Oct 11, 2018 7:08 pm
The smell of the troglodytes is nearly overwhelming. It's quite clear that they don't bathe with any regularity. Looking over the bodies, you don't find any weapons at all, but they have very sharp fangs and claws. The only belongings that are here is the horn.
Oct 11, 2018 7:14 pm
Hunter backs up without touching anything, covering her nose and mouth with her sleeve. Rather than approach physically, she sends a Mage Hand over to pick up the horn.

Rolls

Wild Magic! - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Oct 11, 2018 11:28 pm
OOC:
Weren't there chests in the room with the pit? I would think we would have investigated them before moving on. (sorry I'm so slow to post that)
Oct 12, 2018 12:58 am
Treasure from the Boxes
Four zurkhwood boxes hold a 50-foot length of spider-silk rope, four flasks of oil, twenty pounds of rancid food, a pile of moldy blankets, six maces and sixteen javelins (all battered but usable), four casks of unspoiled wine worth 10 gp each. Another, smaller, chest contains 180 gp (minted in Menzoberranzan and Gracklstugh), three gems each worth 50 gp each, a potion of gaseous form, and a +1 dagger with silvery, weblike filigree worked into the hilt. The dagger is clearly of drow manufacture.
Oct 12, 2018 7:35 pm
OOC:
If Melpomene discloses what was found, Hunter would offer the weapons to the dwarves, and eagerly tries to confiscate the wine over anything else.
Oct 12, 2018 7:40 pm
Peering around for any other surprises, Hunter will notice that Elayna isn't in the room. In fact, she doesn't think she's seen her since they saw the prisoner and found the secret tunnel.
Oct 12, 2018 7:44 pm
Hunter touches a finger to her lips in thought. She turns to the secret tunnel, figuring that if Elayna did not advance with everybody, she must still be in the other room. With a hand on the copper wire wrapped around her ear, Hunter sends a Message to Elayna, reasoning that if the other doesn't reply, she's not in the room. Are you there, dear?

Rolls

Magic - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Oct 12, 2018 8:10 pm
Hunter gets no response from Elayna.
Oct 12, 2018 8:15 pm
Hunter tsks. "We've lost someone," she says. "I'm heading back to see if I can find my wayward friend." She moves back for the secret tunnel.
Oct 14, 2018 9:21 am
"You should not go alone," Melpomene says as she follows.
OOC:
She would have told everyone about the contents of the chests, and absolutely would want the dwarves to arm themselves.
Oct 14, 2018 11:57 am
"We should all stay together." Mai'ngor murmurs. He quickly takes the gems and five javelins for himself, hands Hunter the potion, and Melpomene the dagger, tosses Elfog the rope and a bottle of wine, and the dwarves their choice of weapon. "Alright, let's go find Elayna."
Last edited October 14, 2018 5:51 pm
Oct 14, 2018 4:43 pm
The dwarves each take a mace and a pair of javelins. They immediately seem more confident and their malnourishment isn't as obvious now. They follow behind you through the secret tunnel, where you find Elayna laying on her belly and peering over the lip of the steep slope leading into the cavern. She seems to be watching something over by the prisoner's rise and doesn't hear you approach.
Oct 14, 2018 5:03 pm
Hunter crouches down, elbow on her knees, watching over Elayna as the other observes. Finally, she touches her copper wire and sends a Message, What are you doing?

Rolls

Magic? - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Oct 14, 2018 11:36 pm
Elayna looks back for just a moment and then points in the direction of the prisoner's rise. Now that she's pointed him out, you can barely see Sarith stealthily climbing the rise, totally unknown to the troglodytes guarding the prisoner. They all seem more intent on the conflict down below.

Map
Oct 15, 2018 5:09 am
Hunter rolls her eyes, then concentrates on Sarith to deliver another Message with the same content, What are you doing?

Rolls

Magic - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Oct 15, 2018 11:36 pm
Sarith doesn't bother looking back, but Hunter gets the reply in her head, Rescuing the hostage. Clearly.
Oct 15, 2018 11:47 pm
Hunter says, dejectedly, "He's freeing the prisoner."

As an afterthought, she adds, "5 gold he manages to succeed without being caught."
Oct 16, 2018 12:25 am
Elayna begins to look anxious as Sarith approaches the back of the troglodyte group, but it doesn't appear that they've spotted him yet.
OOC:
Anyone want to take that bet?
Oct 16, 2018 5:24 am
"I see your 5 gold and raise you another 5. He's getting caught, and we'll have to debate whether or not to rescue him."
OOC:
I thought the prisoner was also a troglodyte?
Oct 16, 2018 2:06 pm
OOC:
The prisoner is a troglodyte. It does seem out of character for Sarith to go out of his way to save a monster...
Oct 16, 2018 4:44 pm
"Wait, you're betting 10 gold that we're going to debate rescuing Sarith?" Hunter asks, for clarification. She peers through the darkness at the tikbalang. "That seems rather unfair."
Oct 16, 2018 4:47 pm
Mai'ngor gives Hunter a sidelong glance, unsure if she's jesting.
Oct 16, 2018 5:14 pm
Hunter seems serious about the bet. "Anyone else? What about you dwarves?"
Oct 17, 2018 3:40 am
"Wait. Do we want him to be caught or not?" Xeliss glances between Mai'ngor and Hunter, unsure which bet is more secure and wondering if interfering would nullify either bet.
Oct 22, 2018 4:38 pm
The dwarves look toward the drow with obvious disgust, "Well... we ain't got no money..." the obvious leader says with a shrug, then turns to Hunter, "How can ye stand to have that... thing tag along?".

As you watch, Sarith moves silently behind the nearest troglodyte, which has its back turned. With one swift motion, he expertly reaches up, clamps a hand over its mouth and draws a dagger across its throat. It makes not a sound as he lowers it to the ground, vocal cords severed.

Moving further up, to where the prisoner is, Sarith motions for it to be silent and cuts its bonds. He slowly begins leading the creature down the rise when one of the guards begins turning to check on the prisoner.
Oct 22, 2018 5:17 pm
From her crouch, Hunter subtly extends her pointer finger over towards the large group of troglodytes by the river, then curls her finger in like a hook. A loose stone near the group flies towards the turning guard, seeking to strike or distract them by originating from the direction of the standoff.
OOC:
Spending 1 sorcery point for Distant Spell to double the range of Catapult.
[ +- ] Catapult
[ +- ] Distant Spell

Rolls

Catapult bludgeoning damage, DC 17 to avoid - (3d8)

(367) = 16

Wild Magic! - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Sleight of Hand to avoid anyone noticing her manipulation of the bet - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Wild Magic Surge! - (1d100)

(49) = 49

Oct 23, 2018 3:28 pm
Hunter's hurled rock sails through the air and smashes one of the trogs on the north side of the stream in the face and the creature screams. Both sides screech and the tentative truce is broken as both sides crash across the stream and begin fighting brutally. One of the trogs that you see has a beautiful sword in hand and he uses it to slice through his foes with abandon.

Sarith takes the chance that's been offered and continues leading the prisoner away, boosting her up the incline when he gets there. With some help, both he and the prisoner trog are atop the incline. Seeing the prisoner up close, you realize that this trog is female. She is dazed, but appears mostly unharmed. She looks very confused.

Sarith stands and dusts himself off looking directly at Elayna, who looks at him and smiles. He nods at her without any expression and moves to watch the battle unfold.

Naatkinson sent a note to CancerMan
Oct 23, 2018 4:11 pm
Hunter opens her mouth as if to scold Sarith and wonder why he took the risk... but all that comes out are pink-colored bubbles the bloop and pop as they rise into the air. She quickly closes her mouth with her hand, eyes wide and wondering who else might have noticed.
Oct 23, 2018 11:41 pm
Melpomene frowns at this exchange, confused about the motivation of the young woman.

Rolls

Perception to see if she notices the bubbles - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Oct 24, 2018 1:06 am
Melpomene definitely sees the strange bubbles emerge from Hunter's mouth.
Oct 24, 2018 7:05 am
Realizing he hasn't got 10gp on him, Mai'ngor hands Hunter one of the gems he took from the treasure chest. He doesn't bat an eyelash st the bubbles coming out of her mouth.

He turns to Sarith, "What the hell was that all about? Who is this she-trog?"
Oct 24, 2018 3:42 pm
Hunter silently takes the gem without argument.
Oct 24, 2018 7:48 pm
Sarith shrugs and turns away, "Ask her," he says, waving toward Elayna, "She's the one who thought it was important."

Elayna is blushing, "I..." she starts, but then stops and shakes her hear, "I guess... I just know what it's like to be trapped and it really hurt me to see her like that..."

The female trog looks very confused and slightly afraid, eyes flicking between all of you in rapid succession. She doesn't look like she understands what's being said.
Oct 24, 2018 9:00 pm
Another bubble pops out of Hunter's mouth, before she purses her lips and rubs her temple.
Oct 25, 2018 11:34 pm
Melpomene gives Hunter a concerned look, but says nothing. She turns to Elayna to ask, "And now?"
Oct 26, 2018 4:23 am
Xeliss climbs back onto the Shield Guardian. "We gonna keep standing around here or what? Hunter?"
Oct 26, 2018 1:24 pm
"I don't know..." Elayna says, trying hard to think, "Does anyone speak her language?" she asks, looking around the group.

In the background, you still hear the screams of the fighting troglodytes and the occasional scream when one is mortally wounded.
Oct 26, 2018 4:37 pm
Bubble, says Hunter with a shrug.
Oct 26, 2018 7:00 pm
"MOVE NOW. We can talk later. This way!"
OOC:
Which way were we headed again?

Map.
Last edited October 26, 2018 7:05 pm
Oct 26, 2018 7:14 pm
Hunter points to the secret tunnel and says, Bubble!
Oct 27, 2018 1:11 am
OOC:
I've marked your destination with a green arrow. You are headed to the Wormwrithings, which requires you to pass through this cavern
Map
Nov 1, 2018 6:08 pm
Xeliss taps her golem and has it follow behind Mai’ngor.
Last edited November 3, 2018 3:25 am
Nov 1, 2018 6:59 pm
Moving through the tunnel, you once again find yourselves in the same room where you found the dwarven and drow prisoners. Sarith is already in here waiting for you.

Elayna stays with the troglodyte prisoner, who constantly looks worriedly toward the source of the sounds of battle with a look of what appears to be longing on her face.
Nov 5, 2018 4:50 pm
Hunter pantomimes tip-toeing to the troglodyte outpost in chamber #7, before pointing to the troglodyte prisoner with narrowed eyes and putting a finger to her lips.
Nov 7, 2018 12:40 am
Melpomene nods her agreement and understanding of the plan and prepares to follow.
Nov 7, 2018 1:21 am
You enter the outpost once more and find that it's the same as you left it. Four troglodyte corpses are still on the ground here.

Map
Nov 7, 2018 1:33 am
Hunter points to the northern tunnel, reasoning that the party can skirt around the conflict.
Nov 7, 2018 2:09 pm
Moving into the adjacent chamber, you find that it's completely dark. Stalactites and stalagmites dominate the room, making it difficult to traverse.

Map
Nov 7, 2018 4:18 pm
Mindful that things might be lurking behind cover, Hunter pans her darkvision around.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Nov 7, 2018 5:56 pm
As Hunter's eyes sweep the gloomy room, she doesn't spot any danger hidden within.
Nov 7, 2018 6:15 pm
Hunter points for the tunnel on the far side, and gestures for others to start moving. She waits a bit so as to be nearer to the middle or back of the group.
Nov 8, 2018 7:05 pm
OOC:
Adding a stealth roll if it's needed.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Nov 8, 2018 8:33 pm
Surprise: Enemies
As you reach the halfway point of the room, you are caught off guard as the stalagmites and stalactites come to life.

Two of the stalagmites in the room 'open' to reveal a large eye and fang-filled maw. The rocky ground comes to life as they raise numerous tentacle-like appendages and begin attacking those within the room. (Everyone except the dwarves, Elayna, and the prisoner)

R1 grabs hold of Mai'ngor with its tentacles (19 vs AC) and pulls him close, biting at him with its large mouth. Mai'ngor manages to pull his head away just in time to prevent it from being removed from his shoulders.

R2 grabs hold of Hunter (17 vs AC) and pulls her close, closing its jaws on her arm (24 vs AC. Damage: 22)

Four of the stalactites above open their eyes and drop on your party from the ceiling. These appear to be much smaller than their counterparts.

One of them strikes Hunter right atop her head, sending her straight to the ground as it rips her from the stalagmite's grip, blood pooling beneath her (Critical Hit vs AC. Damage 42)

Another falls just next to Mai'ngor, narrowly missing.

A third strike Melpomene in the shoulder as it passes (13 vs AC. Damage: 21)

The fourth and final one narrowly misses Sarith, who dives aside just before it would have hit him.
OOC:
I rolled all of my targets randomly, so I apologize if it feels like I'm picking on you
[ +- ] Enemy Stats
OOC:
Your turn!
Nov 8, 2018 8:58 pm
Hunter barely has time to react as the environment seemingly twists maddeningly around her. "Look out!" she cries at Melpomene, voice now audible as eddies of magic spiral from the pop of the last pink bubble.

The sorcerer then hits the ground hard, unconscious.
OOC:
Reaction to use Bend Luck against the attack roll on Melpomene, applying 1d4 as a penalty.

Rolls

Bend Luck penalty - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Death Save - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Nov 9, 2018 12:51 am
Melpomene turns just as Hunter calls out and the creature narrowly misses her. She reaches a hand to touch her friend, and warm golden light flows into her as she sings. Seeing the wounds begin to close, she turns to Mai'ngor and chants,

"Falling gnashing teeth
Will fall in turn to your blade
Strike true, save us all"
[ +- ] The deets

Rolls

Cure wounds level 3 - (3d8+5)

(162) + 5 = 14

Nov 10, 2018 6:09 pm
OOC:
Bump for Mai'ngor and Xeliss!
Nov 12, 2018 10:16 am
Mai'ngor twists in the tentacled grip and thrusts Sinag two-handed twice into the monster's maw.
OOC:
Bonus Action: War Dance
Action: Sinag Attack

Rolls

Sinag 2-handed vs. Roper 1 - (1d20+11, 1d10+9)

1d20+11 : (6) + 11 = 17

1d10+9 : (1) + 9 = 10

Extra Attack: Sinag 2-handed vs. Roper 1 - (1d20+11, 1d10+9)

1d10+9 : (9) + 9 = 18

Bardic Inspiration applied to 2nd attack - (1d8)

(5) = 5

Nov 12, 2018 4:25 pm
Round One: Players
Hunter falls to the ground after warning Melpomene of the impending attack.

Narrowly avoiding the attack, Melpomene moves forward to tend to the fallen sorceress.

Mai'ngor's first slash with Sinag misses, but his follow-up, inspired by Melpomene's words, finds its target, tearing the rocky flesh from the roper's body.

Sarith moves in behind the one attacking Hunter, hitting twice and tearing out chunks of stony flesh (23 and 23 vs AC. Damage: 6 and 10)

The dwarves move forward fearlessly, hacking and smashing at their foes. Two of them go for the roper holding Mai'ngor, while the other two join Sarith. The roper holding Mai'ngor takes a few good smacks (21 and 20 vs AC. Damage: 3 and 1) and the one the grabbed Hunter takes on as well (20 vs AC. Damage: 5)

Elayna holds back with the trog prisoner for a moment, though she does keep the presence of mind to draw her blade. When she sees Hunter go down, she screams in anguish and rushes forward, taking her blade in both hands and slashing at the roper. Her blade finds its mark right beside the creature's eye (23 vs AC. Damage: 7)
[ +- ] Enemy Stats
Nov 12, 2018 4:52 pm
Round Two: Enemies
R1 continues trying to chew on Mai'ngor, clamping down hard on his flesh (18 vs AC. Damage: 22 piercing).

R2 attempts to grab hold of Elayna. She manages to avoid a couple of the creatures tendrils, but is eventually grabbed and pulled toward its mouth. She is pulled head-first into the creature's toothy maw and it clamps down on her midsection, teeth grinding away (21 vs AC. Damage: 22). Elayna screams in pain and terror as she begins being sawed in half.

As Hunter begins to wake up, she hears Elayna scream from within the mouth of the Roper and feels a headache like nothing she's ever known. She almost loses consciousness again, but manages to stay awake.

The piercers begin crawling away from your group, heading toward the walls.
[ +- ] Enemy Stats
OOC:
Your turn!
Nov 12, 2018 6:26 pm
Hunter reels from the whiplash of pain, warmth, and pain once more. All she can do is wrap arcane energy around her muttered words and hurl six magical darts at the roper gnawing upon Elayna.
OOC:
Casting Magic Missile at 4th level, and if I get a 1 on damage dice I'll spend 1 sorcery point for Empowered spell.

Rolls

Magic Missile 4th level (Six Darts) - (1d4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Empowered Spell if I roll a 1 on damage (ignore otherwise) - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Wild Magic - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Nov 12, 2018 7:29 pm
Mai'ngor watches helplessly as Elayna is devoured by the roper. The tikbalang knows a similar fate could befall him unless he slays this monster right now! Drawing his other blade, he slashes desperately at the roper.

Rolls

Sinag vs. Roper 1 - (1d20+11, 1d8+9)

1d20+11 : (2) + 11 = 13

1d8+9 : (4) + 9 = 13

Lucky reroll - (1d20+11)

(13) + 11 = 24

Extra Attack: Sinag vs. Roper 1 - (1d20+11, 1d8+9)

1d20+11 : (13) + 11 = 24

1d8+9 : (2) + 9 = 11

Bonus action: +1 kris - (1d20+10, 1d6+8)

1d20+10 : (19) + 10 = 29

1d6+8 : (3) + 8 = 11

Crit damage - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Nov 13, 2018 12:52 am
Seeing another of her companions being attacked by the horrid creature, white flames begin dancing in Melpomene's eyes. She begins singing a song of vengeance and wrath, and the flames gather about her into ghostly humanoids with feathering wings, that strike out at the roper and other creatures nearby.
[ +- ] Spirit Guardians

Rolls

radiant damage (dc 17 wisdom save for half) - (4d8)

(6511) = 13

Nov 13, 2018 3:44 pm
Whether from the pain or the panic, Hunter's grasp of her innate talent spins out of control.

Rolls

Wild Magic! - (1d100)

(88) = 88

Nov 13, 2018 3:49 pm
OOC:
I'll give Xeliss a bit. She has two rounds to take care of!
Nov 15, 2018 3:04 pm
Round Two: Players
Hunter's magical darts slam one after another into the roper gnawing on Elayna. The creatures looks like it's getting weaker, but still continues to chew on Elayna. As the spell goes off, her magic goes wild. She can feel it in her core, pulsating and humming beneath her skin. It finally snaps and she feels her form get lighter and her feet lift off the ground.

Mai'ngor launches a flurry of attacks on the roper that's attacking him, carving chunks of its body away.

Melpomene summons the aid of spirit guardians and they begin attacking all the enemies in the room. All of the foes are battered by the creatures and the piercers all succumb to the attacks, dying on the floor.

Sarith continues attacking the roper, but his attacks can't get past the creature's hard skin.

The dwarves continue their attacks, but none of them are able to do anything.
[ +- ] Enemy Stats
Nov 15, 2018 3:07 pm
Round Three: Enemies
R1 continues biting at Mai'ngor, chewing on his leg while the tikbalang beats on his back (23 vs AC. Damage: 22 piercing)

R2 spits Elayna out, covered in blood and unmoving. It turns to Sarith and goes after him next. Sarith dances back away from the roper, poking at it to spur it on, "Get her out of here!" he says to Hunter, clearly referring to Elayna.
[ +- ] Enemy Stats
OOC:
Your turn!
Nov 15, 2018 4:26 pm
"This is like Hobren's hut all over again," Hunter says under her breath. She clumsily tries swimming in mid-air to gain any distance before actually trying to think about moving, and realizes that her mental concentration is required to control her flight. She gathers the fallen Elayna in her arms and flies her away from the roper.
OOC:
Action to grapple Elayna, then moving half-speed 30 feet away. I'll risk any Opportunity Attacks from the roper's bite, and will likely use a Reaction for either Shield or Bend Luck if that happens.
Nov 15, 2018 5:24 pm
Twisting this way and that, Mai'ngor hacks away at his monstrous captor.

Rolls

Sinag vs. Roper 1 - (1d20+11, 1d8+9)

1d20+11 : (9) + 11 = 20

1d8+9 : (5) + 9 = 14

Extra Attack: Sinag vs. Roper 1 - (1d20+11, 1d8+9)

1d20+11 : (8) + 11 = 19

1d8+9 : (2) + 9 = 11

Bonus action: +1 kris - (1d20+10, 1d6+8)

1d20+10 : (18) + 10 = 28

1d6+8 : (4) + 8 = 12

Nov 18, 2018 4:23 am
Looking at the condition of her compatriots, Xeliss moves closer to them, snapping her fingers at those who look on the verge of death. "Get yourselves together!" Once she's within range of the roper harassing Mai'ngor, she jumps off the golem, shifting into her Earth Elemental form and takes two giant swings at it. The golem turns toward the other creature, punching it twice.
[ +- ] Casting Mass Cure Wounds

Rolls

Mass Cure Wounds - (3d8+7)

(323) + 7 = 15

Earth Elemental Slam Attacks 1&2 Roper 1 - (1d20+8, 2d8+5, 1d20+8, 2d8+5)

1d20+8 : (18) + 8 = 26

2d8+5 : (34) + 5 = 12

1d20+8 : (10) + 8 = 18

2d8+5 : (87) + 5 = 20

Shield Guardian Fist Attacks 1&2 - (1d20+5, 2d6+4, 1d20+5, 2d6+4)

1d20+5 : (13) + 5 = 18

2d6+4 : (14) + 4 = 9

1d20+5 : (13) + 5 = 18

2d6+4 : (53) + 4 = 12

Shield Guardian Round 2 attacks? - (1d20+7, 2d6+4, 1d20+7, 2d6+4)

1d20+7 : (10) + 7 = 17

2d6+4 : (21) + 4 = 7

1d20+7 : (12) + 7 = 19

2d6+4 : (44) + 4 = 12

Nov 19, 2018 12:27 am
Melpomene steps back away from the roper, carefully gauging her distance to keep the spectral warriors in play.
OOC:
Action to disengage
Nov 20, 2018 2:43 am
Round Three: Players
Hunter swoops in and drags the unconscious Elayna away from the battle and to safety.

Mai'ngor finally manages to cut down the roper holding him. He feels its tendrils fall from his body and can finally move once again.

Everyone feels the magical healing of Xeliss wash over them. She then moves to Roper 2 and begins pounding on it alongside her shield guardian companion.

Melpomene pulls back away from her enemy and into safety.

Between Sarith and the dwarves, they manage to finally kill the final roper.
[ +- ] Enemy Stats
OOC:
Combat over!
Nov 20, 2018 5:08 pm
Hunter cradles Elayna in her hands. "That had to hurt," she says.
OOC:
I have some potions of healing. Who looks worse for wear?

Hunter is at 29/62 after the healing spells from Melpomene and Xeliss.
Nov 20, 2018 5:26 pm
At Hunter's words, Elayna opens an eye slightly and smiles, "You're ok..." she says before falling unconscious once more.
OOC:
She's fine, no danger of death, just tired and hurting
Nov 21, 2018 4:44 pm
Hunter looks around the area, refocusing on the party. "Are we safe here, or should we press on?" She absently brushes Elayna's hair with her fingers while listening to everyone's assessment.
Nov 21, 2018 5:19 pm
"I don't know if anywhere is safe anymore."
Nov 21, 2018 8:45 pm
"Be that as it may," says Hunter in agreement, "it looks like some need a moment to catch their breath." She holds out a Potion of Greater Healing to Mai'ngor.
Nov 21, 2018 11:50 pm
"Save the potion," Melpomene suggests. "Let me help instead."
OOC:
She casts Cure Wounds at 4th level on Hunter and Mai'ngor, and 3rd level on Elayna.

Rolls

Cure wounds Hunter - (4d8+5)

(4823) + 5 = 22

Cure Wounds Mai'ngor - (4d8+5)

(7847) + 5 = 31

Cure Wounds Elayna - (3d8+5)

(767) + 5 = 25

Nov 22, 2018 1:17 am
Elayna's wounds are mostly closed now and she is breathing much easier.

Map
Nov 22, 2018 2:00 am
Mai'ngor nods his thanks to Melpomene as the healing magic washes over him.
Nov 22, 2018 4:12 am
Hunter gives a sigh of relief. "Are we good to move?" she asks, seeking a general consensus from the party and their tag-alongs. She will try to assist Elayna's movement no matter the difficulty and slow progress.
Nov 22, 2018 7:32 pm
"Yes." With Sinag held aloft, Mai'ngor leads the group onward.
Nov 23, 2018 2:50 pm
As you pass through the ropers' room, you find that the troglodyte battle has ended. There are a few dozen dead bodies on the ground and a group of nearly a dozen troglodytes stands atop the ridge that the prisoner had been held on. You can hear their voices, which sound confused, calling through the cavern.

When she hears the voices, the prisoner perks up and looks in that direction, then turns to you, speaking in a rapid voice and pointing in the direction of the calls pleadingly.

Map
Nov 23, 2018 5:25 pm
"Sinag? Can you understand what the troglodyte is saying?"
Nov 25, 2018 12:49 pm
"I think she wants to go back to her people," Melpomene suggests gently.
Nov 25, 2018 2:44 pm
"The same people that were holding her prisoner? Or are they split into tribes?"
Nov 26, 2018 5:37 pm
Naatkinson sent a note to jabes.plays.rpg
Sarith speaks up, "Looked like the same tribe to me, based on their colorings," he says, "Probably got into a fight over something. If she seems to think she's safe, I say we let her go."
Nov 27, 2018 1:55 pm
Xeliss shrugs. "Sounds fine to me."
Nov 29, 2018 6:48 am
Hunter looks to Elayna. "Might be best to let her go. Hopefully she will get them to allow us to pass without battle."
Nov 29, 2018 2:23 pm
The prisoner takes a hesitant step away. Not seeing any resistance, she turns and moves quickly to the side of the apparent leader of the group, speaking rapidly. After a brief conversation, the leader turns and raises a fabulous longsword in a sort of salute before turning and directing his people to clean up the bodies.
Nov 29, 2018 5:20 pm
Hunter raises her hand, palm open in a gesture of reply. She continues on the path toward the far tunnel.

"In a roundabout way, you have saved us from possible battle," she says to Elayna. "This experience should serve you well."
Dec 1, 2018 2:38 am
Elayna smiles brightly as the troglodyte joins those who were apparently trying to save her in the first place, and then turns to Hunter, "I'm glad it worked out in the end," she says, "I wasn't sure if I was making a mistake."
Dec 4, 2018 12:26 am
Hunter continues on, trying to keep her eyes open for additional dangers as she crosses the cavern for the exit.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Dec 6, 2018 12:24 am
You slip out of the troglodyte's cavern and move further toward the Wormwrithings. Several miles later...

The remnants of a rockfall have opened up a small vaulted cavern along the passageway. Apart from the occasional glowing insect scuttling along the walls, the cavern is dark.

Suddenly, a loud voice booms out all around you: "Turn back or suffer a death so horrible you cannot imagine! You have been warned!"
Dec 6, 2018 12:51 am
Fresh from a battle with ropers and remembering their encounters with the Abyss, Hunter seems unimpressed. "I don't know, I can imagine a lot," she says, voice deadpan. She doesn't announce this as a reply, more as a side note to her companions as justification for proceeding onward. As she moves forward, she looks about for the source of the voice.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Dec 10, 2018 5:08 pm
Continuing into the cavern, you see a young drow female in robes hiding behind a pile of rocks. She appears to be trying very hard not to be seen.
Dec 10, 2018 6:07 pm
Hunter looks around for others that might be lying in wait. Wary of an ambush, she decides to flush out the drow with a show of force. Opening her fingers down towards the ground, she turns her hand violently in an upraised fist.
OOC:
Casting Maximilian's Earthen Grasp.

Strength save DC 17. If she fails, is it possible to only attempt to restrain the drow and not apply bludgeoning damage?
[ +- ] Maximilian's Earthen Grasp
Last edited December 10, 2018 6:07 pm

Rolls

Wild Magic! - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Dec 11, 2018 11:23 pm
Xeliss attempts to light up the drow in green.
OOC:
Casting Faerie Fire- DEX Save 15
Dec 12, 2018 2:28 pm
The almost-hidden drow squeaks in fright as the earthen hand reaches up to grab her. She is simultaneously grabbed and held in place by the stone hand and lined in green flames. She looks to be on the verge of panic now, "You'd better stop, or I'll take you out with my powerful magics!"

Rolls

Female drow Str Save - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Female drow Dex Save - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Dec 12, 2018 4:01 pm
Hunter studies the drow in her arcane grip. Most of the powerful spellcasters she has encountered, such as Vizeran and her old mentor Hobren, had either an air of cold arrogance or warm confidence, respectively. Panic is something Hunter had in spades when she first began tapping into her own powers.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Dec 12, 2018 4:56 pm
It's quite clear that the female is bluffing.
Dec 12, 2018 5:05 pm
Hunter advances closer and considers what a powerful arch-mage would say. "Then I will just have to crush you and take your power for myself," she declares, oozing her words as though she were about to sample the finest meal. Inwardly she wishes that were possible, but she gives her earthen hand a little squeeze to emphasize her threat.

Rolls

Intimidation - (1d20+9)

(5) + 9 = 14

Dec 12, 2018 6:40 pm
The female's eyes pop open as the hand squeezes, "Please, no!" she says, "Don't kill me! I'm just an apprentice!"
Dec 12, 2018 7:04 pm
"Well that takes the fun out of it," sighs Hunter, showing outward signs of disappointment. Apprenticeship does make sense now, given the behavior.

She opens her hand and absently dusts her palms of dirt and loose stone that somehow appeared there, and releases the drow woman from the magical grip. "Who are you? And what are you doing here accosting people with death you do not have?"
Dec 12, 2018 7:56 pm
"I am Hanne Hallen of Menzoberranzan," she says, puffing out her chest with pride, "I came here with a hunting party looking for purple worm eggs, but we were... separated."

Sarith scoffs, "A minor family," he whispers to Hunter, "With no real influence."
Dec 12, 2018 8:24 pm
"Do they have enough pull to get us into the city when we need to?" Hunter replies in the same volume. "We'll eventually need access to that wizard's laboratory."

To Hanne, she says, "How convenient, as that is precisely why we are here. Perhaps we can help each other? I'm sure that together we can reunite you with your party and accomplish the task of retrieving a few eggs."
Dec 14, 2018 3:54 pm
OOC:
Sorry I'm being slow at moving this along, but we've got a lot of people who aren't very responsive lately! Damn you, holiday season!
Dec 15, 2018 2:20 am
"You think she can help us?" Xeliss looks her over skeptically. Can she handle herself?

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Dec 17, 2018 5:53 pm
"She ought to at least know what to look for," Hunter says, before adding, "if not where."
Dec 17, 2018 5:58 pm
Sarith shrugs, "I'm unsure. Things change in the city faster than you can imagine. The house could be in total disgrace by this time. It couldn't hurt to let her accompany us, though, at least for now."

The female drow looks uncomfortable, "I think they're probably all dead... we were separated by one of the worms," she says, "but perhaps the loss can be forgiven if I return with an egg in hand. I agree to your terms."

Xeliss finds it oddly difficult to get a read on the female drow. She talks a big game, but she was quite easily overwhelmed by Hunter...
Dec 17, 2018 6:16 pm
Hunter relaxes her fist and dismisses the arcane earthen hand. The release is done politely, letting the Hanne catch her footing as she is freed from restraint. "So. Where to?"
Dec 19, 2018 7:20 pm
Hanne manages to stay on her feet, but she appears to be somewhat shaky. Looking around to get her bearings, she nods, "This way," she says as she begins walking, looking back at every chance to make sure you're following.

An hour later, as you are making your way through a long tunnel, everything around you begins to shake and rumble. Suddenly, the tunnel floor gives way at the front of the group.
OOC:
Hanne, Hunter, and Mai'ngor will have to make a dexterity save (DC 15) or fall, taking 2d6 damage
Dec 19, 2018 7:43 pm
Hunter sucks in a breath, as though willing her body to move faster.
OOC:
Depending on first roll, I might use Tides of Chaos for Advantage.

I will also use Bend Luck to provide 1d4 to either Hanne or Mai'ngor, whomever rolls under the DC and might benefit.

Rolls

Dexterity Save DC 15 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Tides of Chaos - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Fall Damage - (2d6)

(11) = 2

Bend Luck bonus - (1d4)

(2) = 2

Dec 24, 2018 2:23 pm
Hunter tumbles into the pit, but Mai'ngor and Hanne manage to stay out of the pit. Hunter finds herself in a small chamber about 25 feet down, with a single exit to the north.

Peering into the hole, Hanne shrugs, "Well, I was hoping to find an easier way down, but I think this will do."
Dec 24, 2018 4:07 pm
Hunter's incoherent complaints mumble up through the hole as she stands, dusting her rump and rubbing her tailbone. While she waits for the others to descend, she takes a look around the chamber, mostly to keep her mind off her embarrassment.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Dec 28, 2018 5:40 am
Xeliss hangs onto the golem as it jumps down to join Hunter.
Dec 28, 2018 4:49 pm
Other than rubble and dust, there's nothing of note in the room. The only exit is to the north.
Dec 28, 2018 8:39 pm
Hunter waits for the others to join her, waving off any concerns about her health, and is eager to get moving. When the group has collected themselves, she heads north.
Dec 31, 2018 4:06 pm
Heading north, the tunnel curves harshly eastward. As the tunnel curves, a fungus-filled chamber opens up to the north and the path continues up a steep, gravel-covered slope to the southeast
Dec 31, 2018 4:21 pm
"Are these safe to eat?" Hunter asks, referring to the fungi. Inwardly she reminisces on the king's banquet at Gauntlgrym, and sighs.
Jan 3, 2019 1:36 am
Xeliss inspects the fungi.

Rolls

Nature - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Jan 7, 2019 3:42 pm
After looking them over for a couple of minutes, Xeliss is able to determine that they are safe to eat. The room is full of them and, if time was spent gathering them, could probably feed the whole group for several days.
Jan 7, 2019 4:17 pm
Hunter spends some time gathering whatever mushrooms she can, stuffing them into her bag and squirreling a few inside her robes. Satisfied that the group's provisions have been replenished, she moves up the slope.
Jan 8, 2019 9:06 pm
Xeliss snacks on the mushrooms as they go.
Jan 8, 2019 10:23 pm
As you move through the tunnels, you enter a large chamber. This 30-foot-high chamber is dimly lit by luminescent lichen. Thousands of bones carpet the cavern floor, including many recognizable as humanoid (primarily dwarf, elf, and goblin) and some belonging to strange and unidentifiable creatures. A crack in the south wall appears to lead into another chamber.
Jan 8, 2019 10:49 pm
"That's not good," whispers Hunter. "Seems like the dining room for something with peculiar tastes." She looks for a way to cross the cavern without stepping on any bones, and maybe see if there's anything interesting among them.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Jan 9, 2019 6:03 am
"We should move quickly." Mai'ngor says, indicating the exit to the south.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Jan 9, 2019 2:38 pm
The next cavern is quite a bit smaller than the previous one. The 30-foot-high unlit cavern has a twenty-foot-wide pit in its center, which descends far out of your view. Thirty feet down is a small ledge holding the skeletal remains of an adventurer clad in moldering leather armor.

There are no other exits to the chamber.
Jan 9, 2019 5:27 pm
Hunter looks at Hanne. "Is this a garbage pit or something?"
Jan 10, 2019 6:11 pm
Hanne shrugs, "I'm not sure what purple worms would need with a garbage pit..." she says, motioning through the tunnel toward the mess of humanoid bones in the prior room.
Jan 10, 2019 6:23 pm
"Who or what else reside here?" Hunter asks. She takes out some iron spikes, a hammer, and some rope. "Sarith, help me set this up into the pit there. Let's see if our solitary skeletal friend there has anything to say."
Jan 11, 2019 10:06 pm
Sarith nods, "Sure," he says, helping to set up the spikes for an easy climb down before climbing deftly down. "Seems sturdy," he calls up from the ledge.
Jan 11, 2019 10:31 pm
Hunter descends into the pit, looking to see if anything of significance might account for this lone individual's fate, compared to the mixed pile in the other chamber.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+1)

(14) + 1 = 15

Jan 12, 2019 12:29 am
Melpomene watches nervously from above.
Jan 14, 2019 7:04 pm
There are no obvious clues as to what might have brought this person down here, but Hunter does spot a ring on the skeleton's finger that's in good shape.
Jan 14, 2019 7:34 pm
Hunter pokes the ring with her finger, and if nothing happens she attempts to take the ring off. She also inspects the armor to see if it's serviceable, perhaps for Elayna.
Jan 14, 2019 9:28 pm
The ring doesn't react in any way to being poked and Hunter can easily remove the ring from the skeletal finger. The armor is rotted beyond usefulness and wouldn't be helpful to Elayna.
Jan 14, 2019 10:28 pm
Pursing her lips at the failure to glean anything significant about this lone persons' demise, Hunter pockets the ring and makes the climb back to the group.

"That could have gone better," she says upon her return. "Let's see if we can find a way out of this area."
Jan 15, 2019 7:35 am
Mai'ngor helps haul Hunter out. "No exits from this chamber. I suppose that means we backtrack?"
OOC:
Is this pit natural, or worked stone?
Jan 16, 2019 6:51 pm
OOC:
It's definitely natural
As you enter the previous, bone-fill chamber, there is a deep rumbling and you can feel the chamber vibrating. It seems to be getting stronger by the moment.
Jan 16, 2019 7:04 pm
Hunter looks at Hanne. "That sounds like something big coming right for us," she says. "What do we do?"
Jan 16, 2019 7:20 pm
"I'm guessing that is one of the fabled purple worms. Any chance we can outrun it?"
Jan 17, 2019 2:22 pm
Hanne shakes her head, eyes wide in fear, "I don't know! My family usually tries to avoid the worms," she says, fear clear in her voice.

As she turns to Mai'ngor to reply, the east wall of the bone-filled chamber bursts open, rocks and dust filling the room. Looking through the dust, you see the massive creature right before you, its maw large enough to swallow a horse and its wagon whole.

Taken by surprise at the messy entrance, you don't have a chance to react before two of the dwarves you rescued are scooped up and swallowed whole by the monstrous worm.
[ +- ] Purple Worm
OOC:
Your turn!
Jan 17, 2019 7:36 pm
Hunter growls, flicking open her hand to bring a circle of light in front of her. She twists the circle to the right, brightening its effects, before pushing against it with her palm. "Any advice is welcome!" she says over the din, "even if it's to run away!"
OOC:
Using Empowered Spell if necessary.
[ +- ] Erupting Earth

Rolls

Erupting Earth, Dex Save DC 17 for half - (3d12)

(1110) = 12

Empowered Magic, 2 dice - (2d12)

(610) = 16

Jan 17, 2019 7:38 pm
OOC:
Don't forget wild magic roll :P
Jan 17, 2019 7:42 pm
OOC:
Wild Magic!

Rolls

Wild Magic - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Jan 24, 2019 4:11 pm
Xeliss moves toward creature, raising her hands and chanting. She pulls back, ripping away its life force like one might pluck a weed from a garden.

Rolls

Blight- CON Save 15 takes half damage - (8d8)

(37377424) = 37

Jan 25, 2019 2:46 pm
"Let's dance, worm!"
OOC:
Bonus action: War Dance
Move to melee
Action: Attack two-handed with Sinag

EDIT: Oops, rolled the wrong damage die, and forgo to add the damage bonus from war dance.
Last edited January 25, 2019 2:47 pm

Rolls

Sinag - (1d20+11, 1d8+7)

1d20+11 : (17) + 11 = 28

1d8+7 : (2) + 7 = 9

Extra attack - (1d20+11, 1d10+9)

1d20+11 : (19) + 11 = 30

1d10+9 : (10) + 9 = 19

Crit damage - (1d10)

(3) = 3

Jan 26, 2019 12:16 am
Hunter's spell erupts from the ground, shattering stone and battering the gigantic worm.

Xeliss' spell pulls from the life force of the worm and it's flesh sags slightly from its huge body.

Mai'ngor fearlessly charges the great beast, slashing it twice with his light-forged blade. The flesh melts away beneath his furious attacks.

The dwarves, angered by the loss of their companions, roar and charge the monster heedless of the danger. Neither of them seem to be able to get through the creature's powerful hide.

Sarith looks at his short blades and sighs before rushing the beast from the side, staying out of the radius of Sinag's light. He gets two good slashes in, spraying the creature's blood across the bone-filled floor.

Purple Worm: 134/247, AC 18
Jan 26, 2019 12:28 am
The worm, enraged, thrashes wildly, crushing both of the dwarves under its bulk. It then bites at Mai'ngor before stabbing at Sarith with a huge stinger on its tail.

It grabs hold of Mai'ngor in its mouth and begins to swallow the tikbalang (29 vs AC. Damage: 25)
OOC:
@Mai'ngor: You have to make a DC 19 Dexterity save or be swallowed. A swallowed creature is blinded and restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside the worm, and it takes 21 (6d6) acid damage at the start of each of the worm's turns.
It's tail stinger plunges straight into stomach of Sarith. He staggers back and falls to the ground, a large hole in his gut. (27 vs AC. Damage: 19 piercing, 42 poison)

Purple Worm: 134/247, AC 18
Sarith: 10/71, AC 17
OOC:
Your turn!
Jan 26, 2019 1:21 am
OOC:
Spending 1 Luck point to force reroll of worm's bite attack. DEX save below in case it still hits. 25 damage is before damage reduction?
Last edited January 26, 2019 2:50 am

Rolls

DEX save DC19 (Advantage from War Dance) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (15) + 5 = 20

1d20+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

Jan 26, 2019 2:06 am
OOC:
Correct. That damage is before resistance.

Also, you can choose to use a Luck point after the roll if you choose :)
Jan 26, 2019 2:30 am
OOC:
Naatkinson says:
Also, you can choose to use a Luck point after the roll if you choose :)
Yes, that is my intention. Here's the reroll. Pretty sure I prefer the original. Anyway, I made my save.
Mai'ngor tries to dance out of the way of the monster's gaping maw. The tikbalang takes a gash on the shoulder as spins away, but manages to avoid being swallowed.
Last edited January 26, 2019 2:52 am

Rolls

Lucky reroll - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Jan 26, 2019 3:08 am
Maintaining the glowing circle of light, Hunter practically thrusts her fist through the arcane glyph. "Son of a marilith!" she curses to no one in particular as she sends rock and stone erupting underneath the worm.
OOC:
Casting Erupting Earth again, using Empowered Spell if necessary.
[ +- ] Erupting Earth
Last edited January 26, 2019 3:09 am

Rolls

Wild Magic - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Erupting Earth, Dex Save DC 17 for half - (3d12)

(753) = 15

Empowered Spell - (2d12)

(39) = 12

Jan 26, 2019 3:36 am
OOC:
I'm guessing Sarith & I are caught in the eruption too? Unless there's some way to put the AoE on the other side of the worm or something. Rolling DEX save, just in case.

Rolls

DEX save (advantage) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

1d20+5 : (20) + 5 = 25

Jan 26, 2019 5:34 am
Seeing Hunter concentrate on the area around the worm, Xeliss follows suit. A plague of locusts descends upon the slug.
[ +- ] Plague of Insects

Rolls

Insect Plague- CON Save 15 for half damage - (4d10)

(6656) = 23

Jan 26, 2019 6:53 am
OOC:
Not my intention to catch friends in the blast.
Jan 27, 2019 8:57 pm
OOC:
Remaining: Mai'ngor

Allies won't be hit by the attack :)
Jan 28, 2019 7:43 am
Mai'ngor weaves in and out of erupting earth and swarming vermin, all the while dodging the thrashing worm. The tikbalang warrior exults, almost laughs out loud. He hardly registers Sarith on the ground. This is his element; this is what he was born for. Shifting to a one-handed grip on Sinag, he draws his other blade and unleashes a furious assault on the monster.
Last edited January 28, 2019 6:28 pm

Rolls

Attack action: Sinag 1 - (1d20+11, 1d8+9)

1d20+11 : (5) + 11 = 16

1d8+9 : (5) + 9 = 14

Attack action: Sinag 2 - (1d20+11, 1d8+9)

1d8+9 : (1) + 9 = 10

Bonus action: kris+1 - (1d20+10, 1d6+8)

1d20+10 : (10) + 10 = 20

1d6+8 : (2) + 8 = 10

Action Surge: Sinag 3 - (1d20+11, 1d8+9)

1d20+11 : (3) + 11 = 14

1d8+9 : (8) + 9 = 17

Action Surge: Sinag 4 - (1d20+11, 1d8+9)

1d8+9 : (6) + 9 = 15

Jan 28, 2019 6:17 pm
The earth heeds Hunter's command once more and erupts. The worm is once again blasted with shattered earth.

A swarm of insects appears in the air, biting and stinging the worm.

Mai'ngor's blades find their mark a few times, but the creature's thick skin repels the majority of the attacks.

Purple Worm: 65/247, AC 18
OOC:
Enemy turn!
Jan 29, 2019 3:02 pm
The worm, no longer bothered by Sarith, turns its full attention to Mai'ngor. It opens its maw wide once more bites him again before attempting to swallow him whole (23 vs AC. Damage: 22)
OOC:
@Mai'ngor: You have to make a DC 19 Dexterity save or be swallowed. A swallowed creature is blinded and restrained, it has total cover against attacks and other effects outside the worm, and it takes 21 (6d6) acid damage at the start of each of the worm's turns.
Purple Worm: 65/247, AC 18
Jan 29, 2019 3:10 pm
Mai'ngor takes another gash across his flank from the chomping worm, but just manages to spin away without being swallowed up.
Last edited January 29, 2019 3:12 pm

Rolls

DEX save DC19 (Advantage from War Dance) - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (15) + 5 = 20

1d20+5 : (6) + 5 = 11

Jan 30, 2019 3:38 pm
OOC:
I forgot to put the words "Your turn" in my post. My apologies :\

Your turn!
Jan 30, 2019 6:09 pm
Another circle of light appears by Hunter's left hand, her fingers dancing across the glyphs. Raising the symbol up towards the worm, she releases six magical darts from the glowing disc.

Rolls

4th-level Magic Missile, six darts - (1d4+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Jan 31, 2019 5:38 pm
Mai'ngor reverses his spin, kicks into a leap, tucks into a dive and roll. His blades flash at the apex of his leap, slashing as high up on the worm as he can.

Rolls

Attack action: Sinag 1 - (1d20+11, 1d8+9)

1d20+11 : (14) + 11 = 25

Attack action: Sinag 2 - (1d20+11, 1d8+9)

1d20+11 : (20) + 11 = 31

Crit damage - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Bonus action: kris+1 - (1d20+10, 1d6+8)

1d20+10 : (20) + 10 = 30

1d6+8 : (3) + 8 = 11

Crit damage - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Jan 31, 2019 5:58 pm
Hunter's darts slam into it, cracking flesh and spraying blood across the floor.

Mai'ngor continues his furious attacks, ending by plunging Sinag into the belly of the creature and slicing it clean open. It shudders and dies, leaving a gaping hole in the wall behind it.
Jan 31, 2019 7:01 pm
Hunter fumbles a Potion of Greater Healing out of her bag and hurries over to Sarith.
OOC:
I'll give 4d4+4 HP to Sarith unless someone decides to use another means of healing. Besides Mai'ngor, who else is hurt?

Rolls

Potion of Greater Healing - (4d4+4)

(2311) + 4 = 11

Jan 31, 2019 8:48 pm
Sarith groans and opens his eyes as the healing potion goes to work, "Ugh," he says, "Tastes like rothe dung."
Jan 31, 2019 8:51 pm
"I won't ask how you know what that tastes like," says Hunter.
Jan 31, 2019 8:52 pm
"Thanks..." he says beginning to climb to his feet, "It's not a story I wish to relate, anyway."

Elayna walks over to Sarith, "I thought you were dead," she says, shaking slightly.

Sarith looks at her for a moment and averts his eyes slightly, "I'm not going to be killed by a worm, no matter how big." he says before turning and stumbling away toward the tunnel the worm left.
Feb 1, 2019 8:30 pm
Sarith calls back, "There's a chamber through this tunnel."
Feb 1, 2019 10:21 pm
Hunter briefly considers whether or not the dwarves that were swallowed whole are still alive. "Can we open this up first?" she asks of the party.
Feb 1, 2019 11:32 pm
Mai'ngor steps up to the worm and uses Sinag to slice it open.
Feb 3, 2019 12:13 am
The two dwarves that were swallowed are dead, burned alive by the worm's stomach acid. The two that it crushed are also dead, bodies crushed under the worm's great weight.
Feb 3, 2019 1:05 am
"Blast," Hunter mutters, peering into the monster's innards. She takes a Potion of Greater Healing and hands it over to Elayna. "Hold onto this, and use it if you get hurt."

She steps away from the corpse and joins Sarith to inspect the chamber beyond.
Feb 3, 2019 1:17 pm
Though Mai'ngor is wounded, it's nothing to worry too much about. The proud warrior isn't sure if he has it in him to dance the war dance again today, but he is still fit to fight. Sheathing his other sword, he stalks after Sarith and Hunter qith Sinag held aloft.
[ +- ] Status
Feb 4, 2019 10:28 am
OOC:
I'm back...is Sarith still poisoned? Who needs healing?
Feb 4, 2019 3:59 pm
OOC:
I know Sarith and Mai'ngor are wounded and should get healing. I don't know if Sarith is still poisoned.
Feb 4, 2019 6:02 pm
OOC:
Sarith looks weak, but you haven't heard him complain about it yet, so you can't be sure if he's poisoned
Moving into the next chamber, you find that it's huge, extending past your line of sight in all directions (including up). Up near the edge of your range of vision, you see seven massive egg sacs anchored by webs to the ceiling. Hanne smiles, "They're up there," she says, pointing to the sacs, "We just have to find a way up."

Not too far ahead, you see a strand of loose webbing hanging down to the floor that you could probably climb.
Feb 4, 2019 7:18 pm
Mai'ngor tugs on one of the loose web strands to test its strength.
Last edited February 4, 2019 7:18 pm
Feb 4, 2019 7:43 pm
Hunter looks to Hanne and asks, "What do you normally do, if you're with your hunting party? Any tools or equipment you bring along with you?" Meanwhile, she summons a Mage Hand to assist Mai'ngor or anyone that might journey upward.
Feb 4, 2019 9:28 pm
The strand of web appears to be strong enough to support Mai'ngor's weight with ease.

Hanne looks slightly embarrassed, "We, um, usually have slaves that do the heavy lifting for us," she says, "I've not paid much attention to the methods."
Feb 4, 2019 10:45 pm
"Hm, yes," Hunter says, deadpan. Looking away, she scans the chamber for anything that might threaten Mai'ngor or whomever wishes to climb the webbing. "Well, you seem smart. What can you think of that might help?"

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Feb 5, 2019 10:54 am
"A moment," Melpomene calls out to Mai'ngor as she approaches. She lays a hand on his arm and sings gently as a warm glow suffuses him. Then she turns and does the same for Sarith, taking longer and inspecting him as she works.

Rolls

Cure wounds Mai'ngor (level 3) - (3d8+5)

(846) + 5 = 23

Cure wounds Sarith (level 2, three times) - (2d8+5, 2d8+5, 2d8+5)

2d8+5 : (83) + 5 = 16

2d8+5 : (22) + 5 = 9

2d8+5 : (88) + 5 = 21

medicine (checking for poison), Sarith - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Feb 5, 2019 11:11 am
"Thank you." Mai'ngor says gravely. Even though Melpomene has shown nothing but goodness from the moment the group met her, old prejudices die hard in Mai'ngor: in his mind, tieflings are still demon spawn.

As for the drow... Sinag can banish poison from Sarith if necessary, but Mai'ngor isn't about to offer.
Feb 5, 2019 9:36 pm
Hunter can't see anything in her range of vision that would be a threat to anyone climbing up.

"Thank you," Sarith says to Melpomene as he heals him, "That's much better."

Melpomene doesn't get the impression that Sarith is still suffering the effects of poison.
Feb 7, 2019 11:55 am
Mai'ngor stows Sinag, mutters a few words in his native tongue, then with a swish of his tail, starts climbing.
OOC:
Casting Longstrider on self.
Last edited February 7, 2019 12:00 pm
Feb 7, 2019 7:09 pm
Mai'ngor climbs the strand to the top and sees that he's close enough to start cutting out the large eggs.

Sarith takes a deep breath, draws his hand crossbow, and levitates up beside the tikbalang, "I'll keep an eye out for you."
Feb 7, 2019 7:21 pm
"You do that." Mai'ngor rumbles, then gets to work extracting the eggs.
Last edited February 7, 2019 7:21 pm
Feb 8, 2019 12:11 am
Hunter waits near the bottom of the web strand, her Mage Hand moving upward to assist as she can, while she readies a spell she hopes she will not need.
Feb 8, 2019 10:21 am
Melpomene kneels, her fingertips splayed on the ground and head cocked, waiting for the telltale vibration.
Feb 9, 2019 10:03 pm
It takes near to ten minutes for Mai'ngor to extract an egg perched as he is at an awkward angle, but he does manage to get one eventually.

Hanne watches from the ground, "Hey, have him get me a few to take home."
Feb 10, 2019 12:11 am
Hunter nods. "He'll get whatever he can, and whatever time we have left," she says, "though it wouldn't hurt to have some extra." Her Mage Hand floats ready to bring the egg down.

She sends a Message to Mai'ngor, See if you can get another. Don't strain yourself, as one in my Mage Hand is worth the two in the web.
Feb 11, 2019 2:15 am
"HE probably doesn't need any help. Right?" Xeliss glances up towards Mai'ngor,
Feb 11, 2019 2:19 am
Mai'ngor places the egg in the disembodied hand and gets to work cutting a second egg free.
Last edited February 11, 2019 2:19 am
Feb 11, 2019 5:39 am
Hunter lowers her Mage Hand towards Xeliss. "Be ready as I bring this down. We wouldn't want it to fall."
Feb 11, 2019 4:56 pm
Mai'ngor is able to miraculously cut another free with no interruptions. Working carefully, he and Hunter are able to get both of them to the floor with no complications.
Feb 11, 2019 6:38 pm
OOC:
Assuming I can still reply to Hunter's Message.
"How many do we need?"
Feb 12, 2019 6:53 pm
Only one, comes Hunter's Message. Having a spare should come in handy.
Feb 12, 2019 7:01 pm
Mai'ngor starts climbing down.
Feb 13, 2019 2:46 pm
A few moments later, you hear a voice in the back of your minds, "Do you have the egg?" the voice of Vizeran Devir asks impatiently.
Feb 13, 2019 5:47 pm
Yes, Hunter thinks in reply, confident that the drow mage has the ability to hear her reply. Where next? She waits for Mai'ngor's return, and puts the second egg in her bag.
Feb 14, 2019 2:03 pm
There's a slight delay before Vizeran's response comes along, "Your map has been enchanted with a spell of reciprocity and will now show you the way to a place called the Vast Oblivium. It is home to a beholder named Karazikar. I will need one of his eye stalks for the ritual."
Feb 14, 2019 4:46 pm
Hunter unfurls the map to inspect the latest update and determine how far the Vast Oblivium is from their current location.
Feb 14, 2019 5:08 pm
"I understand the necessity, given there is something greater at stake here, but I must say - and I am aware that I repeat myself - that I do not appreciate being made into an errand boy for an accursed drow." Mai'ngor growls, addressing it to no one in particular, and spits on the ground.
Feb 14, 2019 5:22 pm
Hunter makes a there-there gesture as she studies the map, and her Mage Hand pats Mai'ngor's shoulder.
Feb 14, 2019 11:05 pm
Xeliss shrugs. "Me neither. Not much we can do about it now." Unless we leave everyone to die?
Feb 15, 2019 3:11 pm
Tracing your route from your current location, you see that it's only about a dozen or so miles to the Vast Oblivium. The map also shows an exit from the Wormwrithings to the northeast.
Feb 15, 2019 6:15 pm
Hunter points out the direction to the party. Before heading out, she turns to Hanne and says, "Once we're clear of these tunnels, we will decide if you've earned your egg. You have until then to impress me."
Feb 18, 2019 4:22 pm
Hanne looks shocked and slightly insulted, but nods, "Understood," she says morosely. She was clearly of the opinion that she would have gotten her egg no matter what happened.

As you move toward the exit that the map indicates, you see figures ahead, coming from a side tunnel. They stop, clearly having seen you. What do you do?
Feb 18, 2019 4:42 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
OOC:
How far ahead?
OOC:
About 100 feet. Far enough that you can see figures, but not specifics about them in the dark
Feb 18, 2019 6:35 pm
"They haven't attacked, which is a good sign," says Hunter. "I will contact them. Quietly."

She steps forward and holds up an empty hand. Hunter then points at one of the figures in front and sends a Message in Common, Well met. We are in dangerous territory, as you may well know. We wish to pass through, and should like to avoid any complications from the hosts of this place. What say you?
Feb 19, 2019 4:37 pm
There's a brief pause before Hunter receives a reply, We were separated from our companion. Might you have seen her? Her name is Hanne, a young girl, a female voice replies as the figures wave you forward to join them in a side passage.
Feb 19, 2019 4:49 pm
"Huh," Hunter says aloud, then focuses on another Message. The girl is safe with us. You may come over and pick her up.

She turns to Hanne and says, "Fortune favors you. Your hunting party is there."

Her voice turning sweet, Hunter touches the drow's cheek with a soft palm and continues, "Our destination lies elsewhere, Hanne Hallen of Menzoberranzan. Perhaps we shall meet again." She pulls out the second worm egg and holds it out to Hanne. "Parting is such sweet sorrow."
Feb 19, 2019 5:11 pm
Mai'ngor watches the incoming figures warily. More drow. Can't be good. He causes Sinag to flare to life as bright as she'll go. Just in case.
Feb 20, 2019 3:20 pm
Hanne takes the egg and nods, "Thank you," she says before moving off down the tunnel to reunite with her companions.

Sinag's light causes Sarith to turn his head away from the light and the other drow to take a step back, alarmed by the presence of so much illumination.
Feb 20, 2019 4:24 pm
Hunter gives a polite wave, waiting to see if the other drow depart before turning to their own destination of the Vast Oblivium.
Feb 22, 2019 3:14 pm
The other drow emerge from their side passage after a brief conversation with Hanne. The apparent leader sends a message to Hunter rather than speak aloud, "We have more eggs to collect," says an older drow with a striking resemblance to Hanne; likely an older sister or her mother.
Feb 22, 2019 3:40 pm
Good luck, comes Hunter's reply. She lowers her hand and nods to Mai'ngor and Sarith to lead the way out.
Feb 23, 2019 5:10 am
Sarith turns to Mai'ngor, "I will go ahead to keep an eye out," he says, then asks, "Would you like to lead the others with your sword?"
Feb 26, 2019 3:02 am
"Come on, let's keep moving then." Back on the shoulders of her golem, Xeliss marches onward.
Feb 26, 2019 5:28 am
Mai'ngor pushes onward, Sinag held aloft.
Feb 26, 2019 2:40 pm
You continue through the tunnels with Sarith as your guide. After several miles, you begin to feel as though you're being watched and several times you think you see eyes in the darkness, but they're gone when you try to focus on them. Eventually, as you approach a corner, Sarith comes back to the group, "A huge chasm around the corner with manufactured bridges running across it," he reports, "I think we might've found the place..."
Feb 28, 2019 7:00 pm
"I wouldn't have thought that beholders would need bridges," says Hunter. "What could they be for?"
Feb 28, 2019 7:17 pm
Before anyone can answer, you hear footsteps on the bridge and see a figure approaching through the darkness, "What brings you to the realm of Karazikar?" a smooth voice asks.
Feb 28, 2019 7:55 pm
Put on the spot, Hunter tries to make the best out of the obvious non-hostile confrontation. "Er, we seek an audience with the great and terrible Karazikar," she says. "No doubt you are aware of the incursion within these lands. We bring news and an offer of assistance."

Rolls

Deception? - (1d20+9)

(7) + 9 = 16

Mar 1, 2019 3:19 pm
The figure takes a few steps forward and you see a bald man in fine robes. His head is covered in tattoos of eyeballs and his staff is topped with a large eyeball as well. He nods, "Of course," he says, "Please follow me."
Mar 4, 2019 5:39 pm
As you begin to follow, a large spherical creature descends from above and stops about 30 feet out from the walkway. It has a massive eyeball in the center of its body and a number of writing eye-stalks covering its head. As it looks at you, you can tell that you're in an area of anti-magic and none of your magic will work unless it looks away.

It opens its mouth to reveal large fang-like teeth, "You have entered the lair of Karazikar and I am he. For what reason have you come into my domain?" it says, each eye-stalk looking at a separate member of your group.
Mar 4, 2019 6:48 pm
Hunter stalls, mind racing on her effectiveness in an area devoid of magic. "We have traveled through the Underdark," she begins, "and have encountered many strange beasts and beings. And in our travels, we have encountered something new. Demons, freed from the Abyss by powers unknown, run rampant in these caverns. Truly while we are capable of defending ourselves from the odd fiend, this is something akin to an invasion of this plane. We have even seen the powerful Demon Lords trespass this realm.

"Though your gaze spans all, great and terrible Karazikar, we bring you this warning so that you might defend against this Abyssal threat. We also seek to end this threat, and hope that your ineffable wisdom and sight has the solution to defeat the demons."

To the party, it's pretty obvious that Hunter is trying to buy time so that others might prepare their actions.
Mar 5, 2019 9:10 pm
OOC:
I'll allow a moment to see if the others want to react in some way
Mar 7, 2019 4:31 am
Xeliss steps as far away from Hunter as she can, trying to find another path that could be used to hide from the creature. The strange buzz of the place is unsettling.
Mar 7, 2019 8:25 am
OOC:
*Glowering distrust™*
Mar 7, 2019 9:48 pm
As Xeliss looks about, she feels very uneasy. You are on a walkway across an open chasm that goes down beyond sight. There are no rails, but there are several other walkways that cross the chasm at different heights throughout.
Mar 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Karazikar eyes Hunter warily for a moment and then, seemingly satisfied by what he say, speaks, "I am already aware of this incursion, so your warning was unneeded of course," he says, "As payment for your trouble, though, I shall let you leave my domain unharmed in whichever direction you would like."

He doesn't acknowledge Hunter's statement about ending the threat.
Mar 11, 2019 5:16 pm
Hunter tries to steel her nerves, whispering to her companions with a hiss, "I can't do anything while he's looking at me!"

She clears her throat. "Benificent Karazikar, we are gracious and humbled by your leniency," she says, trying to buy more time. "I ask your forgiveness in my bold question of how we might combat the demon lords, as this frail self pales in comparison to the power of your terrible gaze."
Mar 12, 2019 3:48 pm
"For those as weak as you," the beholder says with some amusement, "You should flee. Run as far as you can as long as you can."
Mar 12, 2019 8:06 pm
"But should their reach span across the realm," says Hunter, "we will be forced to fight. May we seek your guidance and wisdom on how to combat the daemonic threat?"
Mar 13, 2019 7:56 pm
"The only way you'll gain my guidance and wisdom is if I make you one of my slaves," the beholder says, his patience evidently wearing thin, "I have already granted you safe passage, which is more than I usually give. If you don't have anything of worth to me, I give you one last chance to leave."
Mar 14, 2019 6:22 pm
Hunter nods. She looks to her companions and says, "This is where we split up." Her eyes glare into each person, giving a slight head tilt to signal her double-speak.

"Return to the tunnel, and make your plans to attack our targets without me. I will remain here as tribute; I do not think I can help you later, but hopefully our fortunes will turn."
Mar 14, 2019 10:40 pm
Melpomene lowers her hood and steps forward. With an readable glance at Hunter, she says, "Flight is not an option for all. Please, my lord, let us shelter under your glorious shadow. We have many gifts to offer for your protection." As she continues to walk toward him she begins to play and sing a song about an ancient beholder, mighty and strong, who protected those that worshiped him from the tides of darkness.
Mar 16, 2019 12:07 am
The beholder growls, "Then you shall be my slaves!" it shouts and the whole chamber trembles ominously. One of its eyes fires a beam of radiant energy and part of the platform beneath your feet is destroyed.
OOC:
Everyone, make a DC 16 Dex save or fall into the chasm!
Mar 16, 2019 12:12 am
Hunter gasps as the walkway is destroyed, flailing her arms in a desperate attempt to latch onto something.

Rolls

Dexterity Save! - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Mar 16, 2019 12:25 am
OOC:
Be aware that you can't see the bottom of this chasm, so it's going to hurt a LOT if you fall in. I suggest using inspiration or anything else to assist with passing the save.

Rolls

Sarith Dex Save - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

Elayna Save - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Mar 16, 2019 12:52 am
Hunter fails to grab onto anything to prevent her fall, but manages to catch onto Elayna's arm. As they plummet into the darkness, only the half-elf can see their surroundings blurring past.

"Elayna! Listen to me!" Hunter yells out as she pulls the young woman closer, trying to ignore the whistling air past her ears. "Focus on my voice! I am going to cast a spell on you, but you need to relax. You're going to feel very weird, but no matter what you feel, you need to relax! Okay?"

Without waiting for confirmation, Hunter focuses her attention to the rapidly-encroaching ground. A glyph of banishment appears in front of her body, and with her free hand she taps a symbol to slightly alter the shape. Hunter slams her open palm into the glyph, causing it to expand into a circular gate that grows to become larger than both Elayna and herself. Timing the spell before they hit the bottom, Hunter opens the Banishment gate at the last-second to send the pair into a harmless demiplane.
[ +- ] Banishment at 5th level
The gate flashes with lightning that crackles about its edge, exploding along the ground and bounding up the chasm walls with blinding heat.
Last edited March 16, 2019 12:56 am

Rolls

Wild Magic - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Wild Magic Surge! - (1d100)

(66) = 66

Mar 16, 2019 1:00 am
As Hunter's spell goes off, there's a massive surge of power and...
OOC:
Up to three creatures you choose within 30 feet of you take 4d10 lightning damage.

Go ahead and use it on anyone in the chasm
Mar 16, 2019 3:08 am
Perhaps warped by such proximity to the magic infesting the Underdark, Hunter's uncontrolled surge of power crackles into the beholder and the robed bald minion.

Rolls

Ride the Lightning - (4d10)

(610103) = 29

Mar 16, 2019 6:58 am
Mai'ngor almost makes it. He catches himself on the edge when the ground explodes, but then his handhold crumbles away, and all of a sudden he is falling.
Last edited March 17, 2019 3:13 pm

Rolls

DEX save (Remarkable Athlete) - (1d20+7)

(10) + 7 = 17

Initiative? - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Indomitable reroll - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Lucky reroll - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Mar 17, 2019 2:17 pm
It's a long way down, qith the bottom shrouded in darkness. Mai'ngor seems to fall forever. When he hits bottom, he's surprised he's still alive.
OOC:
Rolled 20d6 = 71 damage on Discord.

HP: 21/92
AC: 18
Conditions: 
War Dance slots: 0/2
Action Surge: 0/1
Second Wind: 1/1
Minor Illusion: 1/1
Longstrider: 0/1
Misty Step: 0/1
Luck points: 0/3
Indomitable: 0/1
Last edited March 17, 2019 7:43 pm
Mar 18, 2019 4:19 am
Xeliss attempts to shift into an elemental form as she feels the ground shift beneath her feet.

Rolls

Dex Save - (1d20-1)

(17) - 1 = 16

Mar 18, 2019 2:35 pm
As the walkway disappears, Sarith and Xeliss manage to dive back along the path and stop themselves from falling.

Hunter grabs hold of Elayna as they fall together and manages, just before they hit the ground, to send the both of them into a safe pocket dimension.

Mai'ngor and Melpomene have no way to slow their descent and fall over 500 feet to the bottom of the chasm, both of them landing with a sickening thud.

Trapped alone with just Xeliss against a formidable beholder, Sarith looks left and right and then grabs Xeliss, says "Trust me" and attempts to pull her off the edge of the walkway along with him.
OOC:
Xeliss, do you resist Sarith's attempt to pull you down?
Mar 18, 2019 9:42 pm
Melpomene whips out arms, legs and tail trying to gain purchase on the crumbling ledge.

Rolls

dex save - (1d20+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

Mar 18, 2019 9:44 pm
OOC:
If I'm still allowed to try and save myself...else Melpomene is down.
She screams and falls, desperately singing out a spell.
OOC:
Casting Bigby's Hand to catch herself and anyone else she can.
Mar 19, 2019 5:29 pm
As Melpomene falls, she manages to catch herself and Mai'ngor with her spell just before she hits the ground. They are hurt by the impact with the hand, but it manages to lessen the impact significantly.
OOC:
Melpo: You'll still take 11 points of damage from the fall, but you should be fine :)

Xeliss: Are you resisting Sarith or are you going to go tumbling into the chasm with him as he asked you to?
Mar 19, 2019 6:40 pm
Mai'ngor realizes the reason he isn't dead is because the long fall happened mostly in his head. He finds himself on a floating, magical hand with Melpomene. The horse-headed fey tosses his mane to shake off the vertigo. "Thank you. Are you...alright?" he reaches down to help her to her feet.
Mar 20, 2019 11:44 am
"Surprisingly well, all considered. Do you see the others?"
Mar 20, 2019 11:49 am
"Not from down here.* Can your magical hand lift us up?"
OOC:
*Unless Sarith and Xeliss are on their way down.
Mar 20, 2019 2:00 pm
OOC:
Going to assume that Xeliss isn't resisting!
Sarith drags Xeliss of the walkway and they begin a free fall. As they near the ground, Sarith calls upon his internal magic and slows their descent until they land softly at the bottom of the chasm.

He looks up, "I don't think we'll have long before that thing comes down to check on us," he says, drawing one of his swords and a hand crossbow.
Mar 20, 2019 5:40 pm
Hunter and Elayna pop back into existence almost immediately after her spell banished them into another dimension. Having not oriented herself appropriately, Hunter falls prone onto the chasm floor. It takes a moment for Hunter to reorient herself to the situation, before she finally asks Elayna, "Are you ok?!"
Mar 20, 2019 6:14 pm
Elayna looks dazed, but she manages to nod her head, "Yes, I think I'm ok," she says, "Thank you for saving me... again."
Mar 21, 2019 4:33 am
Hunter gathers her feet and looks around at everyone. "Where is that blasted eyeball? And where can we go from here?"
Mar 21, 2019 10:44 pm
"Expedient but perhaps not wise," Melpomene replies, "Lest we suffer the same fate again."

Rolls

History/Arcana check for info about beholders? - (1d20+6)

(11) + 6 = 17

Mar 22, 2019 9:02 am
"That one is a formidable foe. But arrogance is its flaw. No doubt, it believes us all dead, and considers coming down here to confirm it far too lowly a task. It may send minions, however. So let us relocate quickly while we ponder our next course of action."
Last edited March 22, 2019 9:08 am
Mar 22, 2019 1:38 pm
Melpomene is well aware that beholders have a number of eye rays that they can fire off with different effects and their gaze nullifies magic.
Mar 22, 2019 4:02 pm
Hunter looks around for avenues of exit.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Mar 22, 2019 11:08 pm
"The creature's gaze will render our magics ineffective, so it would be best to spread out, if possible, and preferably to hide."
Mar 23, 2019 2:50 am
Xeliss lands, immediately taking the form of an earth elemental. The golem lands nearby. (?)
Mar 23, 2019 5:44 pm
Hunter flinches as the elemental lands, before remembering a similar ability used by Xeliss in previous encounters. "It probably knows that I dabble in the arcane," she says after her initial shock, "so it will undoubtedly try to keep that anti-magic gaze fixated on me."

She readies and loads her light crossbow. "I will remain in the open. The rest of you spread out and hide, like Melpomene suggested. When it puts that awful eyeball upon me, you all strike from above or behind." Hunter moves along the chasm floor, looking for somewhere she can make a final stand and give the others an opportunity to ambush their quarry.
Mar 23, 2019 10:31 pm
OOC:
Forgot about the shield guardian. It fell and took 75 damage
There are a number of tunnels leading out from the chasm as well as many rocks to take cover behind. You realize how lucky you were that you didn't fall all the way down or you'd probably have died.
Mar 23, 2019 11:22 pm
OOC:
Probably = most definitely. Thank you, oh merciful DM.
Mar 23, 2019 11:23 pm
Melpomene finds a hiding spot and looks up to see if she can see the monster descending.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Mar 26, 2019 4:57 pm
Several minutes later, you see the man who guided you to Karazikar slowly floating down looking around for bodies. He spots the shield guardian on the ground and floats over to it, finally setting himself down to walk over and check it out. He takes a peek and then turns around suspiciously, "They must have survived, master," he says, "Their bodies are not here."
Mar 26, 2019 6:54 pm
Hunter looks around to see where the man's master is, if he's in casual conversation with the beholder.
Mar 26, 2019 8:33 pm
Hunter doesn't see the beholder anywhere within the range of her vision.
Mar 26, 2019 8:36 pm
Mai'ngor watches the man intently, waiting to see what he will do next. The tikbalang scans the chasm walls to see if Karazikar or anything is coming down.
Mar 26, 2019 8:55 pm
Hunter sends a Message to Mai'ngor and Sarith. Kill him. If he can speak with the beholder from a distance, he will reveal our location!
Mar 26, 2019 9:04 pm
OOC:
What's the distance to this guy? Can I get to him in one move?
Mar 26, 2019 9:09 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
OOC:
What's the distance to this guy? Can I get to him in one move?
OOC:
I'll allow it. Make me an initiative roll and beat a 9 to be able to reach him before he can react! Otherwise he will react before you reach him
Mar 26, 2019 9:11 pm
OOC:
Initiative first...haha a tie!
Last edited March 26, 2019 9:11 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Mar 26, 2019 9:16 pm
OOC:
Ok, let's roll for the tie-breaker!

Rolls

Shedrak Init - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Mar 26, 2019 9:44 pm
Mai'ngor charges the man, leaping and striking with his hooves, both bladed flashing.
[ +- ] Trampling Charge
Last edited March 26, 2019 10:05 pm

Rolls

Tie breaker Initiative - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Trampling Charge DC 13 STR or fall Prone - (1d20+5, 2d6+1)

2d6+1 : (54) + 1 = 10

If Prone, bonus action Hooves attack - (1d20+5, 1d20+5, 2d6+1)

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

2d6+1 : (13) + 1 = 5

If not prone, bonus action kris attack. - (1d20+10, 1d6+6)

1d20+10 : (15) + 10 = 25

1d6+6 : (2) + 6 = 8

Extra Attack: Sinag  (advantage if Prone) - (1d20+11, 1d20+11, 1d8+7)

1d8+7 : (5) + 7 = 12

Mar 26, 2019 10:58 pm
Hunter prepares to cast a magical attack, drawing up a glyph in her palm. Beware his floating ability, she Messages. He may have levitation powers like Sarith. Once her arcane messages have been delivered, she raises her hand and pushes the glyph towards the man, sending the touch of the grave towards his neck.

Rolls

Chill Touch, Necrotic Damage - (1d20+9, 2d8)

1d20+9 : (16) + 9 = 25

2d8 : (26) = 8

Wild Magic Surge - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Mar 27, 2019 7:04 pm
Hunter and Mai'ngor begin their assault and they both manage to land solid hits on him and he staggers back. Pulling a scroll off of his belt, he quickly recites an incantation and is surrounded by an orb of impenetrable force.

He breathes healing and shakes his head, "Master, I have found them," he says.
Mar 27, 2019 7:11 pm
Hunter flicks her wrist as she sees the scroll and recitation, attempting to Counterspell the casting.

Rolls

Counterspell - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Mar 27, 2019 11:36 pm
Hunter's spell goes off, but its not powerful enough to stop the casting of the scroll and the man is totally protected.
Mar 28, 2019 7:03 pm
OOC:
Bump for running?
Mar 28, 2019 7:08 pm
Xeliss drops her elemental form, raising her arms to cast disruptive magic at the same time as Hunter towards the one in the bubble.
OOC:
Casting Dispell at 4th level

Rolls

Spell ability check? - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Mar 29, 2019 1:21 pm
Xeliss' spell has no effect and the man in the bubble smirks as he floats up the chasm, "My master will deal with you," he says.
OOC:
You have one chance to act, what do you do?
Mar 29, 2019 4:06 pm
Frustrated, Hunter fires her crossbow at the departing bubbleman, then moves along the chasm floor. "Elayna, stick with Sarith. Things are about to get... interesting," she says, reloading her weapon.
OOC:
If I'm unable to attack, ignore the roll and I'll just move.

Rolls

Light Crossbow, Piercing Damage - (1d20+4, 1d8)

1d20+4 : (14) + 4 = 18

1d8 : (2) = 2

Apr 1, 2019 4:19 pm
Hunter fires her crossbow at the Beholder's lackey and then rushes for one of the tunnels nearby. Sarith grabs hold of Elayna's hand and they rush after the sorceress. As you duck into one of the tunnels, you see the beholder descending into the chasm at the edge of your vision.
OOC:
I'm assuming everyone follows
The tunnel you enter is about 7 feet wide at its biggest and goes in a straight line for about 20 feet and then curves off to the right.
Apr 1, 2019 5:45 pm
"Go! run!" Mai'ngor hisses as he takes the rear. The tikbalang tries to cover their tracks by creating an illusory dead end in the tunnel behind him. He has a suspicion a floating, magical eyeball will see right through the ruse, but no matter.
OOC:
Minor Illusion.
Apr 2, 2019 6:48 pm
A few moments after Mai'ngor's illusory wall appears, it disappears, "Ah, you can't hide from me!" the beholder calls out.
Apr 2, 2019 6:56 pm
Hunter continues down the tunnel, taking the turn to the right. She hopes this passage leads to some place that she can stage an ambush or at least give the party room to maneuver.
Apr 3, 2019 9:18 am
Melpomene follows closely behind.
Apr 3, 2019 7:25 pm
The tunnel ahead twists and turns before ending in a small chamber with a small pool inside it, probably fed by an underground spring.
OOC:
A safe haven?
Apr 4, 2019 12:05 am
OOC:
Or a killing jar.
Mai'ngor herds everyone inside, then waits by the tunnel mouth with both swords drawn, prepared to make a final stand.
[ +- ] Mai'ngor's stats
Last edited April 4, 2019 12:08 am

Rolls

Second Wind - (1d10+9)

(1) + 9 = 10

Apr 4, 2019 12:29 am
Hunter looks at the pool. "Does this lead somewhere? Or do we drown trying?"
Apr 4, 2019 12:35 am
Mai'ngor shrugs. "Can beholders swim?"
Last edited April 4, 2019 12:36 am
Apr 4, 2019 9:12 am
Melpomene peers down into the water, looking for a bottom...or something living within.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Apr 4, 2019 2:19 pm
Peering into the water, you can see that it's about 10 feet deep, but you can't see that it leads anywhere in particular.
Apr 4, 2019 6:05 pm
"At least we won't die thirsty," Hunter deadpans. "I'll spread out, away from Mai'ngor. It probably knows that I use magic, so it will try to limit my usefulness. While it's focused on me, that ought to leave the rest of you able to cast some spells upon it, and Mai'ngor's Light-saber ought to still be effective."

Hunter stands opposite of Mai'ngor, keeping to the flank of the entrance. She loads her crossbow for when the beholder's suppressive gaze falls upon her.
Apr 4, 2019 6:07 pm
"Any advice where I should stab first?"
Apr 4, 2019 6:21 pm
Hunter considers the question. "If we live, we'll need that central eye, so avoid that. All the other eyes are fair game, I figure."
Apr 5, 2019 2:14 pm
You wait at the end of the tunnel for some time and nothing happens. After almost two hours of tense waiting, the ground beneath your feet begins to shake and dust falls from the ceiling. What do you do?
OOC:
You'll gain the benefits of a short rest in this time
Apr 5, 2019 4:17 pm
"Well, here we go," Hunter says, accepting the inevitable. "I somehow doubt that thing is going to float through the doorway, but the question then becomes, is it coming from above, below, or the side?"

She pulls the hood of her piwafwi over her head, and tries to press against the cavern wall.
Last edited April 5, 2019 4:21 pm

Rolls

HD Recovery - (3d6+6)

(643) + 6 = 19

Stealth, Advantage - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (20) = 20

1d20 : (9) = 9

Apr 5, 2019 6:49 pm
"Either it's decided we're not worth it and is not coming, or it's toying with us." Mai'ngor does the same with his piwafwi. "I suggest we take turns watching and resting."
OOC:
Attempt a long rest?

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (16) + 5 = 21

1d20+5 : (1) + 5 = 6

Apr 8, 2019 4:13 pm
As you discuss your options, the chamber you're in shakes even more. A few minor cracks appear in the ceiling and you get the feeling that the room is going to collapse rather soon.
Apr 8, 2019 4:25 pm
"I guess that settles it," says Hunter. She starts for the tunnel to try and escape the cave-in.
Apr 8, 2019 5:08 pm
"If rocks fall, everyone dies!" Mai'ngor warns, herding everyone to the exit.
Apr 9, 2019 3:59 am
"I guess I can flight, harass it from another direction? Maybe that will help distract? Or I can see where that pool leads, if anywhere."
OOC:
Does shifting count as magic? Would I drop form if the eye looked at me?
Apr 9, 2019 2:16 pm
Racing down the tunnel, it keeps shaking worse and worse. Rubble falls from the ceiling, clouds of dust and debris choking you as you race toward where you know the beholder must be. You finally emerge from the cave at the bottom of the chasm. About 60 feet from you, floating twenty feet in the air are the beholder and his wizard minion with the eyes tattooed all over his head. What do you do?
OOC:
According to the lead designer of 5e, you'd lose the shapeshift form while the beholder is looking at you. Once it looks away, you'd take your animal form.
Apr 9, 2019 5:12 pm
Hunter looks for somewhere to run. She sends a crossbow bolt flying towards the wizard as she moves.

Rolls

Light Crossbow, Piercing Damage - (1d20+4, 1d8)

1d20+4 : (20) + 4 = 24

1d8 : (2) = 2

Crit? - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Apr 9, 2019 11:13 pm
Melpomene calls out, "Scatter!" as she heads for the closest hiding place.
Apr 10, 2019 5:15 pm
OOC:
Anyone else before we move to initiative?
Apr 12, 2019 2:33 pm
Hunter catches the flying wizard by surprise as her bolt grazes his arm. Blood pours out of the wound and soaks his robe sleeve. You all scatter, hoping that doing so will split the focus of the deadly monster and his minion.
OOC:
You guys win the initiative, so go ahead and take your turns!

Shedrak: 5 damage taken, twenty feet above the floor
Karazikar: 0 damage taken, twenty feet above the floor
Apr 12, 2019 4:22 pm
OOC:
Is that barrier still up around the wizard?
Apr 12, 2019 5:02 pm
Hunter takes a chance, trusting her own magical power over the mundane crossbow she keeps as a last resort. Perhaps the beholder isn't looking at her, or perhaps the wizard is just far enough away. She'll find out soon enough.

Rolls

Chill Touch, Necrotic Damage (prevent HP gain until my next turn) - (1d20+9, 2d8)

1d20+9 : (2) + 9 = 11

2d8 : (78) = 15

Apr 15, 2019 4:04 pm
With their foes in the air, out of reach, Mai'ngor is at a bit of a loss. His meager magic is spent, and he finds his limbs will not quicken for the war dance. But a he can do is fight and hope to die a good death. He takes two javelins, draws it back, and hurls them one after the other at the beholder and the minion.
Last edited April 15, 2019 4:07 pm

Rolls

Javelin vs. beholder - (1d20+5, 1d6+1)

1d20+5 : (9) + 5 = 14

1d6+1 : (6) + 1 = 7

Javelin vs. minion - (1d20+5, 1d6+1)

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

1d6+1 : (4) + 1 = 5

Apr 15, 2019 5:34 pm
OOC:
Remaining: Melpomene, Xeliss, Shield Guardian
Apr 16, 2019 11:18 pm
OOC:
Is Melpomene still within the cone of no magic? If so, can she move far enough that she is not?
Apr 17, 2019 1:40 am
OOC:
Melpomene is not in it right now
Apr 17, 2019 9:19 am
She sings a series of descending notes and vanishes from view, then quietly moves to a new hiding spot behind the beholder.
OOC:
Casting Greater Invisibility
Apr 18, 2019 5:30 am
Xeliss runs and looks for cover. As she stares upwards at the beholder, she waits until its gaze is elsewhere before attempting to reach into its mind and fight for dominance.
OOC:
Not sure if this will work, but I will cast Dominate Beast- WIS saving throw with advantage of 15
Apr 18, 2019 1:14 pm
Peering down at his hand crossbow, Sarith sighs, but fires it at the minion anyway. His aim is off, though, and it goes sailing through the air to disappear in the darkness.

Hunter casts her spell and a cold hand grabs for Shedrak, but a magical force interferes with her attack.

Elayna holds up a hand and summons a small bolt of fire, sending it at Shedrak before running to hide. He attack hits the wizard (21 vs AC. Damage: 5 fire)

Mai'ngor hurls a couple javelins, but both miss their mark.

Melpomene disappears from view as the spell takes effect.

Xeliss finds that her spell doesn't do anything at all, as the beholder is not a natural beast.

Shedrak: 10 damage taken, twenty feet above the floor, AC 15 (Mage Armor)
Apr 18, 2019 1:20 pm
Shedrak growls at Elayna, but sees that she's ducked out of sight and turns his attention to Mai'ngor. He moves a bit closer and sends a wave of freezing energy at the tikbalang.
OOC:
Mai'ngor: DC 14 Dex save or take 28 cold damage. 14 damage on a success
Three rays of energy shoot from the beholder's eyes, one at each Mai'ngor, Hunter, and Xeliss.
[ +- ] Mai'ngor: Enervation Ray
[ +- ] Hunter: Sleep Ray
[ +- ] Xeliss: Petrification Ray
Shedrak: 10 damage taken, twenty feet above the floor, AC 15 (Mage Armor)
Apr 18, 2019 1:52 pm
OOC:
DC 14 Dex save or take 28 cold damage. 14 damage on a success.
DC 16 CON save, or take 36 necrotic damage on a failed save. 18 damage on a success.
[ +- ] Stats
Last edited April 18, 2019 1:54 pm

Rolls

DEX save - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

CON save - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

Apr 18, 2019 4:40 pm
Hunter tries to fight off the drowsy effects.
OOC:
Does the sleep ray count as magic? I'll add a saving throw in case Hunter's Fey Ancestry does not apply.

Rolls

WIS save if no Fey Ancestry - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Apr 18, 2019 5:04 pm
OOC:
Oh yeah, it counts as magic!

Don't forget to take your actions after you resolve your saving throws!
Apr 18, 2019 5:18 pm
Mai'ngor grunts as the wave of cold washes over him. He feels his flesh wasting away under the beholder's withering gaze. The tikbalang digs deep, and whispers a desperate prayer to his ancestors as he hurls two more javelins at Karazikar.
[ +- ] Actions
[ +- ] Stats
Last edited April 18, 2019 5:18 pm

Rolls

Second Wind - (1d10+9)

(1) + 9 = 10

Javelin 1 - (1d20+5, 1d6+1)

1d20+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

1d6+1 : (6) + 1 = 7

Javelin 2 - (1d20+5, 1d6+1)

1d20+5 : (19) + 5 = 24

1d6+1 : (4) + 1 = 5

crit dmage - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Apr 18, 2019 6:51 pm
OOC:
Also, his sight is now set on Xeliss, so she can't use any magic this round
Apr 18, 2019 8:34 pm
Hunter focuses on Shedrak, pushing another spectral hand to try and clutch at the wizard's throat. She moves along the chasm, trying to spread the party out as well as see if there are exits to other tunnels besides the dead-end.

Rolls

Chill Touch, Necrotic Damage (prevent HP gain until my next turn) - (1d20+9, 2d8)

1d20+9 : (17) + 9 = 26

2d8 : (68) = 14

Apr 22, 2019 2:29 pm
OOC:
Remaining: Melpomene, Xeliss (under effects of Beholder gaze, so no magic)
Apr 26, 2019 9:39 am
OOC:
Without having a visual, this is a bit tricky...I want to move around to someone who is injured, cast Cure Wounds at second level, inspire them, and then hide again, all without intersecting that anti-magic cone. Aiming for Mai'ngor, if possible.

Rolls

Cure wounds (level 2) - (2d8+5)

(18) + 5 = 14

Apr 29, 2019 2:59 pm
Mai'ngor throws two more javelins at the beholder. The first one misses, but the second one grazes it.

Hunter's spectral hand grabs hold of Shedrak and begins draining the life from him. He looks very weak, but still determined to help his master.

Melpomene rushes to Mai'ngor, heals his wounds as much as she can, and then rushes off to hide from the gaze of the beast.

Xeliss, feeling her magical power cut off from her, freezes, unsure what to do.

Elayna, seeing Hunter in dire straits, peeks out of hiding and launches a bolt of fire at Shedrak, but misses.

Sarith pulls out his hand crossbow and takes a shot at Shedrak, hitting the wizard in the side.

Shedrak: 31 damage taken, twenty feet above the floor, AC 15 (Mage Armor)
Karazikar: 6 damage taken, twenty feet above the floor
OOC:
Enemy Turn next!
Apr 29, 2019 3:08 pm
Shedrak, looks severely wounded, still refuses to leave his master. He continues his magical assault on Mai'ngor, blasting him with six bolts of magical energy (Magic Missile. Damage: 16 Force)

Karazikar responds to the attacks on him, firing a volley of eye rays at the party (Legendary Actions included)
--- Mai'ngor: Enervation Ray
--- Xeliss: Sleep Ray
--- Hunter: Disintegration Ray
--- Elayna: Telekinetic Ray
--- Sarith: Death Ray

Elayna somehow manages to escape the beholder's eye ray, diving behind an outcropping of rock.

Sarith manages to avoid the worst of the death ray, but looks quite shaken by the attack.
[ +- ] Enervation Ray
[ +- ] Sleep Ray
[ +- ] Disintegration Ray
[ +- ] Telekinetic Ray
[ +- ] Death Ray
Shedrak: 31 damage taken, twenty feet above the floor, AC 15 (Mage Armor)
Karazikar: 6 damage taken, twenty feet above the floor
OOC:
Your turn!
Apr 29, 2019 4:16 pm
Hunter, so focused on the wizard, momentarily forgets about the presence of the beholder. The beam of energy is a quick reminder.

Struggling against the loss of her physical self, Hunter finds the strength to joke about needing a diet. Holding her abdomen, she sends four magical missiles streaking towards the beholder.
Last edited April 29, 2019 4:25 pm

Rolls

Dexterity Save - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Magic Missile, 2nd level - (1d4+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Apr 30, 2019 6:05 am
Mai'ngor stumbles when the wizard's arcane bolts slam into him, and then he feels his flesh withering and blackening under the beholder's gaze. Mai'ngor knows he hasn't got much left. He will die here in the dark, under the earth, cut off from the sky gods.
[ +- ] Stats
Last edited April 30, 2019 6:11 am

Rolls

DC 16 CON save vs. Enervation Ray - (1d20+7)

(1) + 7 = 8

May 1, 2019 2:19 pm
Xelia blinks, feeling momentarily dazed as exhaustion threatens to take her.

Rolls

WIS save - (1d20+7)

(16) + 7 = 23

May 1, 2019 2:21 pm
Shaking off the effects of the sleep spell, Xelia suddenly feels her joints locking up.

Rolls

Dex Save - (1d20-1)

(5) - 1 = 4

May 1, 2019 2:46 pm
OOC:
Don't forget to take your actions! Xeliss, you have 2 actions to take if you'd like to catch up. Your first one can't use magic, but the second can!
May 6, 2019 1:28 pm
OOC:
Mai'ngor and Melpomene still have a turn to take!
Xeliss has two turns worth of actions to take
May 6, 2019 11:26 pm
OOC:
Can I reach Hunter with my movement?
May 7, 2019 12:00 am
marithyme says:
OOC:
Can I reach Hunter with my movement?
OOC:
sure! Just assume that you'll be able to do anything that you want to do. I'm not worried about specific distances here, honestly :-)
May 7, 2019 9:07 am
Melpomene whispers to Mai'ngor, "I'll keep everyone alive, just don't give up. Keep fighting. We can beat this...together." She gives him a gentle pat on the arm then dashes off to Hunter, careful to avoid the anti-magic zone. Reaching her, she explains again as she sends healing magic into the sorceress before hiding once more.
OOC:
Bardic Inspiration to Mai'ngor

Rolls

Cure wounds, level 4 - (4d8+5)

(5886) + 5 = 32

May 10, 2019 1:54 pm
OOC:
Bump for Mai'ngor and Xeliss
May 12, 2019 5:32 am
All out of javelins, and with both foes just out of reach, Mai'ngor picks up a rock and throws it at the beholder before running up right under it. If he can just goad it into trying to bite him! "Come down here, you coward! Never have I seen such a poor excuse for a tyrant!"

Rolls

Thrown rock (improvised weapon) - (1d20+1, 1d4+1)

1d20+1 : (14) + 1 = 15

1d4+1 : (4) + 1 = 5

May 14, 2019 4:18 am
Xeliss spends one round frustrated and cursing until she feels the arcane power flowing through her once more. "Finally!" Another flaming sphere erupts 60 feet away from her, heading towards the creatures near the ceiling.
OOC:
Is the Shield Guardian long dead? It was storing a Blight to be released if anyone went "under 10HP". Not sure if that was triggered.
[ +- ] Casting Flaming Sphere at 3rd Level

Rolls

Flaming Sphere Damage? - (3d6)

(353) = 11

May 14, 2019 1:15 pm
Hunter's magic missiles streak toward the beholder, who is preoccupied with other targets. The magical darts slam into the creature, wounding it slightly.

Melpomene moves carefully to avoid the beholder's gaze and lays hands on Hunter, healing her of most of her wounds.

Mai'ngor's thrown stone misses the target and clatters into the darkness in the distance.

Xeliss summons her flaming sphere near the ceiling, which strikes her foes on its way to the ground. The beholder's wizard minion goes up in flames and dies, still floating in the air. Karazikar is struck by the stone and growls in anger.

Sarith steps out once more and fires another bolt at Karazikar, striking it beside its central eye.

Elayna continues hiding behind a rocky outcropping.

Shedrak: DEAD
Karazikar: 43 damage taken, twenty feet above the floor, AC 18
OOC:
Shield guardian is still alive, but I must have forgotten about the blight. Well, it's going to come up soon, I'm sure!

Enemy turn coming up soon

Rolls

Hunter wild magic? - (1d20)

(16) = 16

May 14, 2019 1:23 pm
Now that his minion is dead, Karazikar begins to ascend, moving quickly out of your sight.
OOC:
The beholder is gone for a moment, what do you do?
May 14, 2019 3:37 pm
"I am utterly useless in this fight. I say we run!"
May 14, 2019 5:50 pm
"We need that eye," says Hunter. "For now, let's see if we can get back to the upper levels. Find us a way out of here while we have a chance!"
May 16, 2019 7:53 pm
You dash into a random tunnel in the chasm and find that it leads upward slowly. As it winds around, you find a small side-chamber where nearly a dozen humanoids rest, looking weary and disheartened. Among the humanoids are two dwarves, two gnomes, a couple of goblins, a gnoll, a kobold, and an ogre.
May 17, 2019 5:20 pm
"Slaves, perhaps," says Hunter, remembering the offer from the beholder. She speaks to the group in the side-chamber, "Hey! We're busting out, if you want to tag along!"
May 18, 2019 2:49 am
The assorted creatures look at you, slightly confused for a moment and then realization dawns on them. One of the gnomes stands up and gives you a quizzical look, "If we try to leave, he'll just kill us all..."
May 18, 2019 2:55 am
Hunter says, "Not if we kill him first!" She sends a wave of electrical energy around her hand, demonstrating power.

Rolls

Wild Magic for Shocking Grasp - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Persuasion for Speech? - (1d20+9)

(16) + 9 = 25

May 21, 2019 2:20 pm
Several of the humanoids look impressed, including the ogre and the gnoll. These ones stand up and nod, "We go with you," the gnoll says, speaking for the other monstrous creatures.

The dwarves finally stand and nod as well. Finally, the other gnome sighs, "I will go, too."

The original gnome looks shocked, "You're fools, all of you!" he says before flopping his little body back to the ground in defiance.
May 21, 2019 3:46 pm
Hunter shrugs. "We already killed his pet wizard," she says. "Gave the eyeball a few good whacks and made it retreat. So we're taking this opportunity while it's available."

She begins to journey through the tunnels. "But hey! Good luck!" she adds as a parting farewell.

Hunter asks the gnoll, "So, which way is out?"
May 24, 2019 5:35 pm
The gnoll looks pretty old, with grey around his mouth and throughout his fur, "I don't know anymore," he says, "Been here many years."

One of the dwarves steps forward, "I know the way out to the open tunnels," he says, pointing further up the path you've taken thus far.
May 24, 2019 5:58 pm
Hunter peers at the dwarf, trying assess if the short one is telling the truth. However, regardless of whether or not she senses deception, there is no other path.

She hands her light crossbow and case of bolts over to Mai'ngor. "Let's go."

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

May 28, 2019 2:24 am
Hunter doesn't sense any sort of deception from the dwarf, who fearlessly leads the way up the path for you. You zip through several narrow corridors before emerging into a cavern, probably 80 feet deep, 60 feet wide, and with a 20 foot ceiling. There's a tunnel on the opposite end, but it's blocked by Karazikar and two ogres.

The beholder has an angry look contorting his features, "You've killed my favorite servant!" he snarls.
OOC:
You get initiative. They are about 80 feet from your front line. What do you do?
May 28, 2019 6:39 am
"We'll send you to a happy reunion!" snarls Hunter in return. At the entrance to the tunnel, she loosens and drops her bag of whetstones, kneeling to plant both hands on the cavern floor. Between her hands, a circle of light surrounds the whetstones, rotating with arcane glyphs. It is a gamble since the beholder is looking in her direction, but Hunter gambles that her spell only affects the source and not the outcome.

With a flare of power, one of the whetstones catapults through the air towards Karazikar.

The flash of light nearly blinds Hunter, and when her vision clears, she sees that she is alone.
[ +- ] Casting Catapult, 1st level
OOC:
Total of 14 bludgeoning damage.

Wild Magic Surge result:
Each creature within 30 feet of Hunter becomes invisible for the next minute. The invisibility ends on a creature when it attacks or casts a spell.
Last edited May 28, 2019 6:43 am

Rolls

Catapult bludgeoning damage - (3d8)

(452) = 11

Empowered Spell, reroll the 2 - (1d8)

(5) = 5

Wild Magic - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Wild Magic Surge - (1d100)

(70) = 70

May 28, 2019 8:14 am
Invigorated at the sight of foes he can reach and fight, Mai'ngor charges the ogres.
OOC:
Dash action for 70ft.

Is Karazikar still 20ft in the air?

I still have Bardic Inspiration from Melpomene. Is that still usable, or is it past the 10-minute expiration period?
[ +- ] Stats
May 28, 2019 2:05 pm
OOC:
The ceiling is only 20 ft up in here and he's not that high at this point. I will also allow you to use the bardic inspiration.

Don't forget, you are all invisible now!
Jun 3, 2019 9:38 am
OOC:
Yesssss!
Melpomene beams as she realizes she can be much more helpful here. She dashes forward and to the left, trying to get as close to that wall as she can.
OOC:
Taking the dash action for this turn.
Jun 7, 2019 4:05 pm
Karazikar is caught off-guard by Hunter's projectile and takes it right in the side of his big head.

Mai'ngor and Melpomene rush toward their foes at the end of the cavern.

Sarith hisses to Elayna, "Get back down the tunnel," and then moves toward the beholder, staying along the edge of the cavern.

You can hear footsteps heading back down the tunnel. Clearly the beholder's slaves aren't interested in fighting him.

Enemies
Karazikar: 54 damage taken
Ogre 1: 0 damage taken
Ogre 2: 0 damage taken

Party
Hunter: 80 ft away
Mai'ngor: 10 ft away, invisible
Melpomene: 20 ft away, invisible
Xeliss: 80 ft away, invisible
Shield Guardian: 80 ft away, invisible
Sarith: 20 ft away, invisible
Elayna: Down the tunnel
Jun 7, 2019 4:10 pm
With only one enemy in sight, the beholder launches several eye rays in the direction of Hunter.
OOC:
I'm very sorry, CancerMan, but you're the only target, so you get four eye rays (three from his action and one from his legendary action)
[ +- ] Charm Ray
[ +- ] Petrification Ray
[ +- ] Enervation Ray
[ +- ] Disintegration Ray
The ogres remain where they are, clearly aware that they need to protect their master from Hunter's invisible allies.

Enemies
Karazikar: 54 damage taken
Ogre 1: 0 damage taken

Party
Mai'ngor: 10 ft away, invisible
Shield Guardian: 80 ft away, invisible
Sarith: 20 ft away, invisible
Elayna: Down the tunnel
OOC:
Your turn
Jun 7, 2019 4:26 pm
Mai'ngor charges the ogre on the left.
OOC:
Trampling Charge. If Hooves attack hits, STR save DC 13 or fall Prone and trigger bonus action Hooves attack.
Extra attack: Sinag, two-handed.

Rolls

Trampling Charge, Bardic Inspiration - (1d20+5, 1d8, 2d6+1)

1d8 : (8) = 8

2d6+1 : (63) + 1 = 10

Possible 2nd Hooves attack, advantage - (1d20+5, 1d20+5, 2d6+1)

1d20+5 : (12) + 5 = 17

1d20+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

2d6+1 : (25) + 1 = 8

Sinag, advantage if prone, two-handed damage - (1d20+11, 1d20+11, 1d10+7)

1d20+11 : (13) + 11 = 24

1d10+7 : (9) + 7 = 16

Jun 7, 2019 4:43 pm
Hunter, crouched on the ground with her hands inside the glowing circle, barely has time to blink as a multitude of colored beams accost her.

She finds that she is unable to stand as her body locks into place. Hunter briefly considers whether the boulder feels the same way after an avalanche.

Locked in place, Hunter is unable to avoid the other beams. Her breath is sucked out of her lungs by the necrotic energy, and her body begins to turn to ash from her legs up through her hair. As the flakes of dust crack across her face, Hunter's eyes focus on the beholder, and she gives a wry grin.
Last edited June 7, 2019 4:55 pm

Rolls

Charm DC 16: WIS save, Advantage for Fey Ancestry - (1d20+1, 1d20+1)

1d20+1 : (8) + 1 = 9

1d20+1 : (15) + 1 = 16

Petrification DC 16: DEX save - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Enervation DC 16: CON save - (1d20+6)

(7) + 6 = 13

Disintegration DC 16: DEX save - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Jun 9, 2019 11:12 pm
Melpomene screams in rage and grief, and reaching out a hand chants a series of dark syllables. A giant, clawed hand appears just above the beholder and reaches for it with long fingers.
OOC:
Casting Bigby's hand, going for a grapple with Grasping Hand.

Rolls

Grapple (strength) vs. target dex or strength check - (1d20+8)

(3) + 8 = 11

Jun 10, 2019 1:56 pm
Frozen in fear, Xeliss backs away as far as she can and hides, sending the shield guardian forward in her stead.
Jun 10, 2019 2:29 pm
The shield guardian charges towards the ogre Mai’gnor is engaged with, slamming it twice with its fists.

Rolls

Fist attack 1 - (1d20+7, 2d6+4)

1d20+7 : (17) + 7 = 24

2d6+4 : (36) + 4 = 13

Fist attack 2 - (1d20+7, 2d6+4)

1d20+7 : (17) + 7 = 24

2d6+4 : (36) + 4 = 13

Jun 11, 2019 2:46 pm
As Mai'ngor charges forth, he doesn't have time to look back at what happens as four rays of energy move past him and toward his companions. As he reaches the ogre, he slams his hooves into it, but it doesn't go down. He follows up with a brutal slash from Sinag, burning away the flesh of the monstrous creature.

Naatkinson sent a note to jabes.plays.rpg
Hunter is struck by four eye rays, one after another. She doesn't have a chance to even react as her skin begins to harden and then she turns to a pile of ash on the floor. There is a small clang as the enchanted necklace that once held Elayna's soul falls to the ground.

From the back of the cavern, an agonized scream rings out and Elayna's footsteps can be heard racing for the site of Hunter's death.

Naatkinson sent a note to CancerMan
Melpomene summons a huge hand behind the beholder and grabs it from the back to hold it in place. It struggles against the grip, but can't seem to escape.

Xeliss sends her shield guardian forward to fight the ogre beside Mai'ngor. It smashes the side of the thing's face with its first punch and then strikes it in the ribs the second time.

Sarith appears from the darkness and stabs it in the spine twice with his blades. It wobbles before toppling to the ground dead.

Enemies
Karazikar: 54 damage taken, grappled
Ogre 1: DEAD

Party
Mai'ngor: Engaged with Ogre 1
Shield Guardian: Engaged with Ogre 1
Sarith: Engaged with Ogre 1
Elayna: Standing over Hunter's ashes
OOC:
Enemy Turn!
Jun 11, 2019 2:52 pm
Karazikar is very annoyed by the giant hand holding him in place, but can't do anything about it now. With an enraged growl, it launches forth more beams of light at its foes.
[ +- ] Mai'ngor: Sleep Ray
[ +- ] Sarith: Death Ray
[ +- ] Shield Guardian: Disintegration Ray
Sarith is caught off guard as the ray slams into his back and he slumps to the ground, dead immediately.

Ogre 2 lumbers at Mai'ngor and smashes him with its club (19 vs AC. Damage: 7)

Enemies
Karazikar: 54 damage taken, grappled
Ogre 1: DEAD

Party
Hunter: Ashes
Mai'ngor: Engaged with Ogre 1
Shield Guardian: Engaged with Ogre 1
Sarith: DEAD
Elayna: Standing over Hunter's ashes
OOC:
Your turn!

Rolls

Sarith Dex Save - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Jun 11, 2019 3:23 pm
The shield guardian stands in front of the beholder, taking the full brunt of the disintegration ray without so much as a flinch.

As Sarith falls, the guardian turns towards the beholder, the spell trigger activated.
[ +- ] Casting Blight
Last edited June 11, 2019 3:36 pm

Rolls

Dex Save - (1d20-1)

(7) - 1 = 6

Blight- CON Save 15 takes half damage - (8d8)

(45377277) = 42

Jun 11, 2019 3:31 pm
Xeliss curses, moving forward as far as she can to keep an eye on her remaining friends and sending the shield guardian towards the beholder, where it makes 2 fist attacks.

Rolls

Fist attack 1 - (1d20+7, 2d6+4)

2d6+4 : (43) + 4 = 11

Fist attack 2 - (1d20+7, 2d6+4)

1d20+7 : (10) + 7 = 17

2d6+4 : (11) + 4 = 6

W/advantage due to grapple? - (1d20+7, 1d20+7)

1d20+7 : (11) + 7 = 18

Jun 11, 2019 11:18 pm
Melpomene snarls and begins to slowly close her hand; the giant one mirrors this action, slowly curling its fingers around the beholder and crushing it in its grip.
OOC:
Bludgeoning damage
Last edited June 11, 2019 11:18 pm

Rolls

crush within grapple - (2d6+5)

(35) + 5 = 13

Jun 12, 2019 2:55 pm
Mai'ngor shakes off the drowsiness that tries to overtake him. The tikbalang neighs angrily as Sarith is slain right before his eyes. Then, he sees the pile of ash, and at first he doesn't comprehend what it is, but he sees Elayna standing there, and the horrifying truth hits him. Hunter's gone. Shifting to a one-handed grip on Sinag, he draws his kris and charges the beholder.
OOC:
I'll take the OA from the ogre. Action Surge.
[ +- ] Stats
Last edited June 12, 2019 3:11 pm

Rolls

DC 16 WIS save - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

Sinag 1 - (1d20+11, 1d8+7)

1d20+11 : (7) + 11 = 18

1d8+7 : (2) + 7 = 9

Sinag 2 - (1d20+11, 1d8+7)

1d20+11 : (14) + 11 = 25

1d8+7 : (3) + 7 = 10

Sinag 3 - (1d20+11, 1d8+7)

1d20+11 : (19) + 11 = 30

1d8+7 : (7) + 7 = 14

Crit damage - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Sinag 4 - (1d20+11, 1d8+7)

1d8+7 : (8) + 7 = 15

+1 kris - (1d20+10, 1d6+6)

1d20+10 : (13) + 10 = 23

1d6+6 : (5) + 6 = 11

Jun 12, 2019 3:57 pm
As Sarith falls, the shield guardian releases its stored spell and necromantic energy washes over the beholder. It is caught off guard by this and seems to take the full effect.

The construct then turns to the beholder and smashes it in the side of its large body once, but misses with its follow-up attack.

Melpomene's conjured hand squeezed the beholder, wounding it slightly, but not seeming to worry it much.

Mai'ngor's rage is overwhelming as he sees two of his longtime companions dead in front of him. He ignores the ogre attacking him and charges the beholder, unleashing all of his rage and grief on the creature. It's clearly never seen a mere warrior so boldly attack it and tries to float away as the tikbalang attacks. He can't get out in time and dies within seconds, blood everywhere.

Once the beholder is down, it takes but a moment to finish off the ogre.
OOC:
Combat over!
Jun 12, 2019 4:09 pm
OOC:
Holy shit! We actually survived! Well, some of us. :-(
Jun 12, 2019 4:43 pm
Elayna stands, rising from Hunter's ashes with the opal pendant in her hand. Her grimed face bears the streaks of loss from her eyes, and her brunette hair hangs like brown willow branches caked with cave dust and oil. Almost instinctively, she touches the copper wire looped around her ear, a gift from her best friend in these terrible times. She concentrates, closes her eyes, and remembers her tutelage to send a Message she hopes will be received, yet deep down she knows it will not reach. A sob escapes her lips as the truth is realized.

Numbly, ignorant of the battle's climax, she shuffles towards Sarith's body on legs that seem stiff. Elayna falls to her knees and hesitantly reaches for Sarith's hand, as though even departed she feels shy about touching him. She focuses her will, takes a deep breath, and finally clasps her fingers intertwined with his. She bows her head, mourning the missed opportunities, and silently honors the sacrifice made for others to survive. Reverently, Elayna takes the small crossbow, a weapon that Sarith sought to train her with during camp, and rests the drow's hands upon his chest.
Jun 12, 2019 7:05 pm
Eventually, the invisibility fades and Xeliss stands amongst the bodies. "Is this it? Are we all that’s left?"
Jun 12, 2019 7:33 pm
Mai'ngor is angrily cutting out all of the beholder's eyes. He holds that accursed drow sorcerer accountable for what just happened here today.
Jun 14, 2019 12:56 pm
OOC:
Bump! You may also advance to level 11!
Jun 14, 2019 5:11 pm
Elayna finds a place in her equipment for Sarith's crossbow, putting it within easy reach. As for the opal pendant surrounded by diamonds, she looks at it for a long and quiet moment, before placing it around her neck.

Once settled, Elayna draws herself up to her full height and takes a deep breath. She reverently unclasps Sarith's piwafwi and walks over to Mai'ngor, holding the cloth open to wordlessly receive the large central eye. Her own eyes are distant in thought, though briefly focused upon the gruesome and necessary task.
Jun 14, 2019 5:34 pm
Mai'ngor helps Elayna bundle up the trophy. "I think we need to shelter somewhere before we return to Vizeran. Do you think we'll be safe in the beholder's lair?"
Jun 15, 2019 11:14 am
"Maybe we don’t stay right here... there has to be another room..."
Jun 15, 2019 11:56 am
"I doubt this room is its lair. One such as this would have surrounded itself with the trappings of its perceived power and grandeur."
Jun 15, 2019 3:39 pm
Elayna is hesitant, opening her mouth as if to say something, yet pursing her lips despite. Finally, she says in a mousey voice, "Maybe the slaves know."
Jun 16, 2019 11:56 am
Melpomene kneels gently beside the pile of ashes and lays a beautiful cloth beside them. Carefully and reverently she shifts the ashes onto the cloth, then ties them tightly and places them within another bag. Her actions are gentle, but her face is still suffused with rage.

She stands and unknowingly smears the ashes across her cheeks as she wipes away tears. She stalks over to Sarith's body as the others confer. She kneels and pulls out her lyre, and begins singing and playing a song that is familiar to the others, yet laced with a level of rage and grief that wasn't there before. Slowly the magic coalesces around them both, before settling onto Sarith's body.
OOC:
Casting Raise Dead. Saved one fifth level spell for this.
Jun 18, 2019 2:51 pm
As the magic settles into Sarith's body, he suddenly gasps and jerks awake. Wide-eyed, he looks around and then to Melpomene, "What happened?" he asks, clearly very confused.
Jun 18, 2019 3:49 pm
Mai'ngor surprises himself when he rushes over and clasps the drow's arm in a sincere gesture of amity. "You and Hunter were slain by the beholder's magic. I am glad Melpomene was able to bring one of you back."
Jun 18, 2019 3:57 pm
"Sarith?!" Xeliss stares at him and Melpomene in shock.
Jun 18, 2019 4:46 pm
Elayna wails, unable to suppress the tears from a whiplash of emotion. She throws her arms around Sarith and sobs.

When she collects herself, Elayna rubs her eyes and holds out the hand crossbow. "Dummy," she says, choking the words out. "You almost lost this."
Jun 20, 2019 12:27 am
Sarith looks a bit surprised by this, but awkwardly wraps one arm around Elayna until she's done crying, clearly uncomfortable with public affection of any kind.

When she hands him the crossbow, he shakes his head, "You keep it," he says.

Turning to Mai'ngor, he looks to where Hunter fell and shakes his head sadly, but doesn't bring himself to say anything about that.
Jun 21, 2019 9:15 am
Melpomene winces at the phrase "one of you", but quietly stands and dusts off her skirts.
Jun 21, 2019 11:36 pm
"We got everything we need here, then?" Sarith asks, avoiding looking at where Hunter died at.
Jun 22, 2019 1:22 am
"Yes," Mai'ngor says, hefting the sack with the eyeballs in it, "we just need to shelter somewhere and regain our strength."
Jun 22, 2019 6:21 am
Elayna sheepishly admits while indicating the gory sack, "Sorry, Sarith. I used your cloak for the eyes. Maybe we'll ask that Vezrin guy if he has a wash basin, and I'll clean it up for you."
Jun 23, 2019 10:49 pm
Melpomene suggests, "I can make our shelter, as always. We shall be safe within. Once we wake, perhaps we should see if this evil creature had hoarded its treasure hereabouts. We have paid a high price, and if we are to have any hope of bringing her back someday, we will need treasure of some worth."
OOC:
Once we figure out where we want to rest, I will case Leomund's Tiny Hut.
Jun 24, 2019 8:37 am
"Agreed."
OOC:
Yeah I tried not to make Mai'ngor sound too greedy but I definitely want to loot this Karazikar's lair. In 3 decades of playing this game I'd never fought a beholder before!
Last edited June 24, 2019 8:37 am
Jun 24, 2019 11:56 am
Xeliss nods.
OOC:
Yup and it turns out they’re nasty creatures...
Jun 24, 2019 7:17 pm
Sarith waves away Elayna's concern for his cloak, "Don't worry about it," he says, "I'm sure I'll get along fine without it."

The monstrous companions you've found are forced to stay outside of Melpomene's magical shelter and by the time you wake up once more, most of them have scattered.

You take your time to search the lair of Karazikar and, after a few hours of searching, find his treasure hoard:
[ +- ] Treasure
OOC:
Rolled on the treasure hoard tables. Didn't do too bad!
Jun 27, 2019 4:42 pm
Elayna looks at the piles of coin with wide eyes. "How are we going to carry all of that?"
Jun 27, 2019 11:24 pm
Melpomene smiles gently, holds up her bag. "By bringing a purse that magically connects to an interdimensional space, naturally."
OOC:
Yay for Bag of Holding!
Jun 28, 2019 3:38 am
Mai'ngor isn't interested in the money. He does study the ring, the stone, and the figurine.
OOC:
How do you wanna split these? Maybe you three shoul deach get one. I've already got Sinag aka Dawnbringer.
Last edited July 8, 2019 9:49 pm
Jun 28, 2019 8:59 pm
Elayna's eyes gaze upon Melpomene's bag in awe. "I have to get one of those," she says quietly.
Jun 29, 2019 2:10 am
It takes a while, but you are able to gather all of the treasures into Melpomene's bag. How do you wish to split up the other loot?
Jun 29, 2019 5:13 am
Elayna steps back, allowing the others first choice of the treasure.
Jul 3, 2019 4:38 pm
When the ring is handed to Sarith, he looks at it for a moment and then presses it into Elayna's hand, "Take this," he says.
Jul 3, 2019 4:47 pm
Elayna tries to press it back. "I can't," she says. "I... I didn't do anything. To help."
Jul 3, 2019 4:51 pm
Sarith shakes his head and folds Elayna's fingers over it, "I won't take no for an answer," he says. Suddenly, he realizes that everyone is watching and takes an uncomfortable step back and tries to look nonchalant.
Jul 3, 2019 5:31 pm
Elayna opens her mouth, but instead nods and acquiesces. She slips the ring onto her finger and stares at it for a long while, before clenching her hand into a fist. Her eyes grow hard for a moment, and she gathers up the sack of beholder eyeballs to portage the gruesome cargo.
Jul 8, 2019 9:47 pm
Taking your hard-won prizes (the eye of the beholder and the purple worm egg), you begin the long trek back to Vizeran's tower. Partway through the journey, those who joined your travels from the beholder's lair split off and go their own way.

When you return, the door opens of its own accord and you head into Vizeran's sitting room, "So you've returned," he says, "Did you get the objects I asked for?"
Jul 8, 2019 9:53 pm
Mai'ngor tosses the sack of eyes on the floor. He's more careful with the worm eggs. He struggles to quell angry thoughts he's been harboring the whole trip back. "Those cost us dearly," is all the tikbalang says.
Jul 11, 2019 9:33 pm
Vizeran waves at the trophies and they float through the air and into another room, "Well, all things that are worthwhile have a cost, don't they?" he asks.

"Well, it is time to get moving on our next item," he says, "I need six angel feathers from six different angels. A difficult task,to be sure, but I've found a place that has all that we need. In the center of the Labyrinth some 300 miles from here is a place called the Gallery of Angels. At the heart of the Gallery are petrified angels. This should be all that we need if you are able to chip the feathers off of them."
Jul 11, 2019 10:29 pm
Elayna balks. "That's so far away! By the time we get back, everything will be destroyed!"
Jul 15, 2019 10:05 pm
Vizeran sneers, "That's why you won't be walking the whole way," he says, "I have identified a place near to the Labyrinth that is safe for teleportation."
Jul 16, 2019 1:20 am
Elayna looks to the others, wondering who in the party has that kind of unimaginable power.
Jul 16, 2019 9:48 am
Melpomene quietly waits, and when Elayna looks to her, nods toward Vizeran.
Jul 16, 2019 2:12 pm
"Another task. Why not? For this reason we came back down from the surface. To play fetch for the drow."
Jul 17, 2019 2:39 pm
Xeliss shrugs. "You have any other ideas?"
Jul 20, 2019 3:11 pm
"I almost have the ritual prepared," Vizeran says, "But it will take a few more hours to finish it and then I can send you on your way. Perhaps you should wait in here while I finish. I will have food brought out."
Jul 20, 2019 3:44 pm
Mai'ngor sits on his haunches and mumbles incoherently to Sinag.

Jabes.plays.RPG sent a note to Naatkinson
Jul 24, 2019 1:28 am
Naatkinson sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
Jul 24, 2019 3:52 pm
Elayna waits with the others, though she fidgets as if unsure of what she should be doing now.

Thread locked