1.0 Introduction

load previous
Sep 21, 2015 8:04 pm
Hood still over his head, Semaj walks in and up to the table. This concept of seating at a table is still strange to him, he prefers the open air.

The story around is that Rowland had been out scouting last year and found Semaj in the woods. From the looks of it, Semaj had been fighting a dire wolf for a scrap of food and lost? Well, it was close as the wolf was found 100 yards away, dead. Roland brought the boy back from near death and unable to find his parents, took him into the orphanage. Since then, Semaj proved to be a quick learner.

"Ladies, Gentlemen", a hoarse voice whispers. Semaj bows slightly, takes a seat and removes his hood. Sitting there is a half-elf lad with grey eyes and long flowing red hair. The skin of his face is smooth and his face expressionless. He looks around at the place settings on the table.
Sep 21, 2015 9:21 pm
Szent leans back a bit in his chair and continues to enjoy the conversation between the others when Semaj appears and takes his seat. Chuckling he says, "Nice of you to join us, Semaj. Maybe we'll all get to eat this morning after all!"
Sep 21, 2015 9:26 pm
Taking a sip of water, he clears his throat. In a whisper, "Sorry, I stopped by the kitchen first, brought them a few bits of... meat to cook."
Sep 21, 2015 9:39 pm
"Not a problem, my friend. You just need to remember how impatient I get when I'm hungry!"

Bringing his chair forward and leaning in Semaj's direction he adds with a wink, "Hope you brought enough for the rest of us."
Sep 21, 2015 10:42 pm
Turning his attention to Szent, he speaks for the table to hear, "Even I cannot ration out 7 ca....er....rats out to 50 people on a good day. But when I got there, they seemed to have things well in hand and the bacon smelled wonderful."
Sep 21, 2015 11:51 pm
Ms Matilda gives the stink eye to the late and scruffy Rufio and Samej. Although avoiding her eye, they can sort of sense the burning gaze. She starts to open her mouth to say something when an imposing figure enters the canteen. The figure appears to tower as high as the ceiling, and his broad shoulders almost fill the doorway. The noise in the room immediately dies to silence, and even the toddlers sidle back to their seats. The tall human male is well dressed in colorful high quality fabrics of red and yellow. On the chest of his tunic is the symbol of an open gauntleted hand. There is not a soul in this room that doesn't recognize Roland.

Instinctively you stand as he enters, a routine you are accustomed to, and the rest of the occupants follow suit, even Matilda. As Roland strides into the room it is noted he with another leader of the orphanage. This is Travis, leader of religious studies and manager of the infirmary. Travis is dressed in yellow and beige, and his tunic adornes a bejeweled rising sun.

Usually Roland would wave everyone to sit with a humble gesture, but today he seems preoccupied, and he simply makes his way to the head table. He faces his audience and says, "Remain standing, we shall say grace". Travis then leads a short prayer, thanking the gods for the foods they are about to eat. They then sit, and everyone stands nervously. "Sorry, please sit", Roland says when Travis nudges him.

The hatches open and the younger kids are signaled to line up for food. The noise again increases, and everything seems normal.
Sep 22, 2015 12:06 am
I turn back to Rufio and in a low, conspiratorial voice say, "So, details. You can't expect me to weave an epic ballad of 'The Heroic Tales of Rufio' without any deets. Who was the gentleman? Was he tall? Handsome? Did you break his face with your fists?"
Sep 22, 2015 12:28 am
Feylinde took again her place at the table and talking to noone in particular said "Something has gone wrong. That's not the Roland we used to know". She stared at him for few seconds before her stomach remembered her what time was.
Sep 22, 2015 12:37 am
Picking up on Feylinde's comment, Szent agrees, "It does appear that the good master's mind is elsewhere this morning." Then, trying to reassure everyone, especially himself, that it's nothing to get worked up about he says, "I'm sure it's nothing, he is a very busy man after all."
Sep 22, 2015 12:37 am
Elden frowns with concern, "Is it just me or does Roland seem a bit off today?" he says to the others.

"Rufio, you need to be more careful, Roland is not gonna be happy if he sees the rough shape you are in," he admonishes him in a friendly way, knowing it will make no difference and is ultimately harmless anyway.

"Good morning Samej, I hope you had a good night?"
Last edited September 22, 2015 2:10 am
Sep 22, 2015 1:33 am
In response to Alanya's prodding Rufio puffs up his chest and thumps it, sending the trinkets he hangs there a-clinking. He opens his mouth to start bragging but then Elden admonishes him and the young ruffian merely rolls his eyes instead. Rufio also notices Roland's disquiet but doesn't remark on it. He sits back down, thoughtfully studying their master.

Prior to being taken in by Roland, Rufio was living in the streets of the Dock Ward, possibly the dirtiest, smelliest, and most dangerous part of the city of Waterdeep. He found brief bouts of employment with some of the least scrupulous of the captains on their smuggling runs, raids, and whatnot, but most of his life was spent just living off the street, surviving by being tough.Thanks to Roland's tutelage Rufio has learned to channel his brutishness into fierce loyalty for his fellows at the orphanage - he would defend them with his life.
Last edited September 22, 2015 1:01 pm
Sep 22, 2015 1:38 am
"Come on Elden, I'm sure he had a perfectly good reason for doing what he did. For instance, maybe he was defending someone's honor. I'm sure it was something like that!"
Sep 22, 2015 1:59 am
"Yeah, something like that." Rufio snickers.
Sep 22, 2015 2:07 am
"Whys everyone looking over there? Did I miss something?" I crane my neck to look in the direction of Roland and Ms. Matilda. Not noticing anything out of the ordinary, I turn back to my friends. "What's on the agenda for today? Have any fun plans?"
Sep 22, 2015 2:30 am
"Going to eat and then I'm going to train. Just like every day." Szent replies as he take a bite from a strip of bacon. "Working on some more javelin techniques today. Still have a lot of work to do before I can use them effectively."

*maybe during training I can see what's bother Roland*
Sep 22, 2015 3:06 am
Breakfast continues and as you are deeply engrossed in conversation you notice Roland is standing by your table. "Sorry to interrupt your chat, but we have a matter to attend to. When you've eaten please see me in my study. And don't dally."

He then leaves the dining area.
Sep 22, 2015 4:22 am
Rufio shovels food into his maw messily, stands up, wipes his mouth with his sleeve, and still chewing noisily, follows Roland. Rufio tries asking Roland what it's all about, but his mouth is full, "Whtsmmff mfffrm mfhhm?"
Last edited September 22, 2015 5:17 am
Sep 22, 2015 5:11 am
Growing up in the streets in the early age taught Seneia to be a fast eater and it's a habit she has not grown out of. When she has food in front of her, she does not waste time chatting, but puts her full attention eating. It's not that she's stuffing it in messily - it's methodological, mechanical, clean, and focused. Combine that with being an increasingly light eater, thanks to her spiritual studies, and by the time Roland talks to the table, Seneia is almost done.

She grabs couple more apples, and slips them into her pouch. Then she raises, gives the others a puzzled, somewhat worried look, and starts after Roland.
Sep 22, 2015 7:54 am
Elden stares after Roland worriedly for a moment before picking up the pace of his eating. After a few more minutes he finishes his food and follows after Roland.
Sep 22, 2015 9:56 am
Still mortified by his earlier gaffe, Weylan has been blushing and scarfing down food, thinking of ways to somehow make it better.

*I just... like... apples! I mean, who doesn't like apples?*

Nothing he can think of would improve the mocking, he imagines.

*Things are so much less complicated in the uncivilized world, where there's no time for innoo...inyoo...inyooin...double meanings. If there's a problem, you just hit things or run away.*

Despite years of living in the orphanage with regular meals, the halfling has never broken his foraging-in-the-wild habit of eating like he doesn't know whether he'll get another meal: snatching the food from his plate, clutching it close to himself, and gnawing it with feverish bites to get it all down before something bigger can try to fight him for it.

Wrapped up in his embarrassment, he doesn't notice anything unusual until Roland appears at the table. He finishes right after Seneia and starts to get up, and then worries that she'll think he's got a thing for her and so dawdles for a few moments before he follows to Roland's study, blushing again.
Last edited September 22, 2015 9:57 am
load next

Thread locked