Game strategy

load previous
Mar 10, 2016 7:16 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
I apologize for the out-of-turn post. I stupidly thought we'd started a new round. :-P
I read it that you still had an action for round three, having used your movement to climb atop the crates. So I thought it was still part of the same round and not out of turn...
Mar 10, 2016 7:21 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
I apologize for the out-of-turn post. I stupidly thought we'd started a new round. :-P
I read it that you still had an action for round three, having used your movement to climb atop the crates. So I thought it was still part of the same round and not out of turn...
Well, Merlin ruled that Rufio had used up his movement climbing the cages. I guess he could have thrown something down at the baddie but it's ok, I'll stick with the drop kick next round. :-)
Mar 10, 2016 7:25 pm
I thought I was clear up was one move, down was another move.
Mar 10, 2016 7:29 pm
Yup, I got that. So climbing up is it for him this round. Correct?
Mar 10, 2016 7:43 pm
Merlin says:
I thought I was clear up was one move, down was another move.
My misunderstanding then; sorry.
Mar 10, 2016 7:52 pm
No, I figured you'd move twice.
Mar 10, 2016 8:05 pm
Merlin says:
No, I figured you'd move twice.
Ok. Sorry. In that case, let's say in this turn Rufio climbed up and dropped down next to B1. So now when he runs away doesn't Rufio get an opportunity attack?
Mar 10, 2016 8:28 pm
No because he should have moved as a reaction the previous round but I gave you all benefit of him wasting a round.
Mar 10, 2016 8:37 pm
Ok, it's fine. So Rufio has dropped down but won't get to attack til next round (round 4).

Final question: When Rufio's next turn comes around can I go ahead and use these unused rolls or do I have to roll again?

Thanks!
Mar 10, 2016 8:44 pm
Up to you. Just label top of post as round 4 or delete it and post when it's your turn.
Mar 10, 2016 8:47 pm
I might as well just keep it. Will edit the description when it's actually my turn. Thanks again!
Mar 11, 2016 12:58 am
Merlin says:
Weylan is enraged by what's happening, and despite the enormity of the half-orc before him that doesn't stop the little guy from pounding on him. The half-orc takes another 20 damage.
Enormity? I'll say so! This guy is an enormous sack of hit points! Either that, or he's illusory. Either way, the little halfling can continue to rage! I was beginning to worry that it would expire and he'd be exhausted before next round.
Mar 13, 2016 4:34 pm
Jabes, please clarify why you get a bonus grapple.
Mar 13, 2016 5:07 pm
Merlin says:
Jabes, please clarify why you get a bonus grapple.
Tavern Brawler feat. When he hits with a unarmed strike or improvised weapon he can grapple as a bonus action
Mar 14, 2016 12:35 am
Merlin says:

OOC:
I can't find any rules on how to escape a grappled condition.
I just had to look this up myself in my D&D5 game here on GP. A grappled creature can use an action to try to break free: it's an opposed check, with the grappled creature doing either Athletics or Acrobatics against the grappler's Athletics. PHB, page 195.
Mar 14, 2016 12:53 am
Yes, but I thought that happens when the grapple occurs. So the opposed check took place when Rufio grappled Bad 1. Does Bad 1 get another one on his turn too?
Mar 14, 2016 1:05 am
Merlin says:
Yes, but I thought that happens when the grapple occurs. So the opposed check took place when Rufio grappled Bad 1. Does Bad 1 get another one on his turn too?
He gets a free attempt to resist the grapple (which he already took) and if he wants to, he can attempt to escape again, but it uses his action
Mar 14, 2016 1:07 am
Yes.

The way I see it, the attacker uses its action to attempt a grapple. That's an opposed check. If successful, the target is grappled.

On every turn thereafter, the target remains grappled until it succeeds at an opposed check to escape (or the attacker decides to let it go). The grappled creature could choose to not escape and use its action to attack (or anything other than move), of course, but that won't break the grapple (unless the attacker is killed, perhaps).
Mar 14, 2016 1:22 am
So the benefit of grapple is only to stop movement?
Mar 14, 2016 11:21 am
Hi guy! Sorry for the late response.

1) Naatkinson is correct: Tavern Brawler grants a free (opposed) grapple attempt as a bonus action when Rufio hits with an unarmed strike or improv. weapon strike.

2) In 5e, the grappler himself is not subject to the grappled condition (unlike in 3e).

3) A grappled creature can use his action to attempt to escape the grapple. But yeah, it would take his action. As noted by Spaceseeker, the grappled creature could use his action to attack instead (but he would remain grappled).

3) A grappled creature's movement is zero. But the grappler can move him. (push him into a fire or a vat of acid, off a cliff, fly up and drop him, etc)

4) A grapple doesn't automatically wrestle the target onto the ground. Rufio would have to use another attack for an opposed Shove Prone attempt. If a creature is both grappled and prone he can't get up (getting up uses half your movement, but his movement while grappled is zero).
Last edited March 14, 2016 11:22 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.