Backstory/getting started

load previous
Oct 26, 2015 5:38 pm
Once you go through the doors/over the bridge, we'll make like a videogame and I'll put up a loading screen-style jump link to new threads labeled 0.1 | The College of Magic or 0.1 | Market Square, and we'll go from there! Same logic will link you back to the main thread if you rejoin the rest of the party.

Given the sandbox nature of the game, I'm currently thinking it'll be easiest to manage by location. The trickiest part will be when events are unfolding faster in one place while other people are dealing with travel time, but we'll try and work all that out as we go.
Oct 26, 2015 5:44 pm
I take it that they stopped me from allowing Charles into the academy?
Oct 26, 2015 5:44 pm
Naatkinson says:
I take it that they stopped me from allowing Charles into the academy?
Nope, they haven't yet!
Oct 26, 2015 7:16 pm
Hah. Sorry, Moofs, but I just snorted when I saw that deception roll. I thought i was doing a poor job being subtle. :)
Oct 26, 2015 8:18 pm
Start blasting your way in!
Oct 26, 2015 8:22 pm
I added a note about passive perception, in case you missed it. I'm assuming notes don't prompt a notification email... still trying to get the feel of what to make public OOC tabletalk vs. notes.
Oct 26, 2015 8:27 pm
smrvl says:
I added a note about passive perception, in case you missed it. I'm assuming notes don't prompt a notification email... still trying to get the feel of what to make public OOC tabletalk vs. notes.
Where was that note added?
Oct 26, 2015 8:29 pm
Oh, sorry... that was for Moofsalot. I'll be careful not to edit them in without prompting the recipient in the future. (And I'll just try to avoid editing them in, generally.)
Oct 26, 2015 8:35 pm
I should also note when you start the area with Tosher and the hooded men you should start the scene from right when we get on to the bridge to head over to the other location. Not all of us may make it to the other end of the bridge.
Oct 26, 2015 8:37 pm
PhantomNimbus says:
Not all of us may make it to the other end of the bridge.
Haha, fair enough. You got it.

Open question... I've been sending you all various notes with different pieces of private information. Do you feel like the knowledge you have access to is making the game more fun? Do you miss the sense at an in-person game of knowing things your character doesn't? I want to make this as fun as possible for everyone, and can tweak my DM style to suit what you all prefer.

My rule of thumb right now is, if it's something only your character knows, I tell you privately. Does that work, or do you want things more open so we can have more "happy accidents"?
Oct 26, 2015 8:39 pm
I'm fine either way :)
Oct 26, 2015 8:49 pm
I'm enjoying the use of notes, but mostly as an experiment and because of the nature of my character. None of the other games I've been in used notes at all; didn't even know it was a thing until this game.

For me, I'm kind of enjoying the secrets. I think in a sandbox game like this, with such a high potential for us to be splitting up and pursuing different agendas, its cool to have more secrets and the possibility of a "big reveal".

Truth is, due to the use of notes in the character generation thread, I know almost nothing about all the other PCs. That's kind of new and exciting to me. I've forgotten what class everyone is and I've purposely not gone back and looked them up. I'm looking forward to see how we all interact; it will be like actually getting to know someone based on their appearance, actions, words and abilities.

If others aren't into these aspects of the game, I'm fine with being more open. But my vote is to continue as we have been.
Oct 26, 2015 8:53 pm
I agree. Most games are less sandbox and the group always sticks together, so the need is limited. It's nice to have the hidden info as well to give our individual characters depth of knowledge on what is going on.
Oct 26, 2015 8:55 pm
This is my first pbp that has been done this way. So far I like it, only because I've noticed that in some games, characters act on things they don't actually know, which makes it less fun for me. But in games where everyone is good at rping char vs. player info it doesn't matter as much.

It also adds mystery and intrigue as we try to figure out what everyone else is doing. :-p
Oct 26, 2015 8:56 pm
I just like the idea that you see me walk off with these mystery guys and late you may just see me at the tavern drinking ale alone. Now I have quite the story to tell you. :)
Oct 26, 2015 8:58 pm
Moofsalot says:
It also adds mystery and intrigue as we try to figure out what everyone else is doing. :-p
Yeah! I'm enjoying this from both sides! Obviously my character is up to some under the radar business, but I also have no idea what's going on with any of your characters!

Why are the two guys entering the College? Why did the lady try and follow? WTF is a MINOTAUR doing in town anyway?!
Oct 26, 2015 8:59 pm
Buy me an ale. I'll tell you all about it. Lol.
Oct 26, 2015 9:00 pm
PhantomNimbus says:
Buy me an ale. I'll tell you all about it. Lol.
Don't know if any of us want to buy you a trough of ale lol
Oct 26, 2015 9:05 pm
Oh, I haven't mentioned yet: I've been loving most of the Minotaur jokes...but for whatever reason...Goldilocks offended the heck out of me with his trough comment! I literally, out of character, read that and though, "What a racist."

If I get the slightest in character reason, I'm killing that guy.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.