General OoC discussion

load previous
Dec 8, 2023 9:34 am
I also think you should do whatever works best for you, and we'll roll with it.
Dec 8, 2023 1:39 pm
DMing is work. Fun work, but still work. I favor whatever makes the work easier for you.
Dec 9, 2023 4:28 am
I'm trying to get one substantive game update posted each day. I didn't expect that opening the gate would be a big delay, and I don't consider my clarifying who could be making the Athletics check I asked for yesterday a substantive post. But I also understand that not everyone can post once a day (life happens!), which is why I tried to make it clear that, if they wished, the small PCs could fit through the opening just as Devek did, as a hint that the adventure isn't being blocked by this one roll.

That's all to explain why I haven't posted a real update today: I'm waiting for player input/actions before I do. But I have my next post mostly ready to go (with variations based on how the roll goes, and where people end up so that I can update and post the map), and I guess I'm just eager to continue. I will be posting soon, regardless of moves...but I've got an engagement tonight, in just a few minutes, so at this point I probably won't post my next update until just after midnight (~4 hours). So you have that long to declare what you'll be doing next and/or do any rolls.
Dec 9, 2023 12:57 pm
Enjoying our game thusly, friends. Great interactions and scenes, and the pace is perfect.
Dec 10, 2023 2:24 pm
Sorry for my mishap yesterday on Attack roll. I have a good tutorial now, for propagating those rolls from my character below the Rolls section, and will be doing those rolls correctly going forward. Sorry for my learning curve.

Len

Dec 14, 2023 2:44 pm
Spaceseeker, do you mind people rolling pre-emptively, or do you prefer us to wait until you ask for a roll?
Dec 14, 2023 3:26 pm
Len says:
Spaceseeker, do you mind people rolling pre-emptively, or do you prefer us to wait until you ask for a roll?
I like it: it can really speed up the pace of the narrative, and if a roll isn't necessary, I would just move on anyway.

But here's a question for everyone: if a different skill applies, I'm inclined to use the roll (plus the appropriate skill modifiers) as is, rather than asking for a new roll. Is that acceptable to everyone?
Dec 14, 2023 3:40 pm
I can honestly say that's why I usually don't roll preemptively... my idea of what fits the situation may not always mesh with the DM. (Although sometimes I do it anyway, because I'm quite sure only one roll would fit. And sometimes I'm still wrong. Lol)

That said, I'm perfectly fine with rolling what I think fits, and you can swap out modifiers as you see fit.
Dec 14, 2023 3:40 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
But here's a question for everyone[/u]: if a different skill applies, I'm inclined to use the roll (plus the appropriate skill modifiers) as is, rather than asking for a new roll. Is that acceptable to everyone?
I’m fine with using the roll as is and just changing the modifier to the appropriate one.
Dec 14, 2023 3:45 pm
Same. Whatever makes things easier and keep the momentum going. Better to leave an OOC note that we changed the skill modifier (if applicable) and post results, rather than wait for the back-and-forth to get a new roll which might take a few days.
Dec 14, 2023 6:57 pm
Using the roll works for me!
Dec 14, 2023 11:14 pm
Yes, that is fine.

Len

Dec 14, 2023 11:15 pm
Yep, totally fine with that. Also fine with you discarding the roll entirely if you didn't want one.
Dec 16, 2023 7:53 pm
Works for me!
Dec 17, 2023 5:17 am
Another question, this time about measurements. The past couple of weeks, I've been experimenting with describing measurements - particularly distance measurements - in terms that your PCs might recognize: the height of a character, a certain number of paces, so many hand's breadths, etc. I was preparing to add some entries to the world book about measurements and how they compare to real-world metric and Imperial measurements, but then I realized: this kind of thing might not be as fun for you players as it is for me.

So I ask: would you like me to return to the standard D&D measurements of distance, volume, etc (feet, yards, miles, gallons, etc) rather than analogs that might exist in a fantasy world with a different history to our own?

Yes = normal, real-world measurements
No = new, different measurements
Dec 17, 2023 6:06 am
Either way works fine for me :)

Len

Dec 17, 2023 7:21 am
I don't have a preference :)
Dec 17, 2023 8:32 am
No, I enjoy the diff measurements. Gives a new perspective to the narration.
Dec 17, 2023 3:16 pm
I'm good with more creative units of measure. If I'm truly unsure, and it affects something in game, I'll just post an ooc question asking for clarification.

Immerse us in your world!
Dec 17, 2023 6:22 pm
I’m also enjoying the different perspective this has brought.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.