General OoC discussion

load previous

Len

Nov 22, 2023 5:32 am
Hello players, old and new! Looking forward to gaming with you all.
Nov 27, 2023 9:00 pm
The game is resuming in this thread.
Nov 28, 2023 12:52 am
I think the thread is still locked.
Nov 28, 2023 12:54 am
WhiteDwarf says:
I think the thread is still locked.
Whoa - that was completely accidental! It should be open now.
Nov 30, 2023 6:15 am
I was very late with today's post - late enough that it's tomorrow for some of you. So to try to make up for it, I made an extra long post this time.

Tomorrow I should post closer to midday.

Len

Nov 30, 2023 6:43 pm
No worries, spaceseeker! Enjoying the game and everyone's characters :)
Nov 30, 2023 11:37 pm
Yes, same, very immersive, really enjoying it.
Dec 1, 2023 5:10 am
Another late posting, so tonight it's TWO long posts.
Dec 5, 2023 12:51 am
Just realized I misread the part on the stone piece... for RP purposes maybe Xana just looks over Aanbo's shoulder while he's studying it and comes to her own conclusions- haha
Dec 6, 2023 6:24 am
I've been off the site for a long time, and am only slowly coming to grips with all the new features of the site.
When I started this game, the custom dice rules feature wasn't available. Now that it is, I've finally updated the game to make them available.

FYI, what this means is that, when you "Add new roll: Basic," you can include the text "DC##" (for a skill check) or "AC##" (for an attack roll) in the "Reason" field, and the roll's result in your post will include a little graphic to indicate whether the roll was a success (a green checkmark) or not (a red X). It's not a big thing, but I like it, mostly because it adds a visual dynamic to the in-game rolls.

So, if Morgran was talking to a farmer, trying to persuade him to sell Dungeon Busters some land, and he knew it was a DC 15 check, he'd type
"Persuasion check DC15" in the Reason field, and "1d20+4" in the roll field. The result is shown below: a failure. Note that he rolled a *1*, which is underlined and highlit in red. It's not relevant to a skill check, but if it had been an attack, it would be a critical failure, and the red/underline makes it easy (and somewhat melodramatic) to see.

Just letting you know that this little feature is available in this game, too.

Rolls

Persuasion check DC15 - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Dec 6, 2023 6:30 am
I've known about the feature, but I can never remember the syntax.

Len

Dec 6, 2023 7:14 am
Nifty :) I haven't really used this feature yet, but it looks pretty cool. Thanks for all the energy you're putting into this game, spaceseeker!
Dec 6, 2023 4:30 pm
Might take me a bit to remember to use that feature, but seems cool!
Dec 6, 2023 7:44 pm
I've not known about this. I'll give it a go.
Dec 6, 2023 8:56 pm
Just to be clear: a game has to be set up/edited to use these dice rules, or any other special rules. I only just edited the game code to allow this particular optional feature; this DC and AC checking now work in this game, but the extra functionality may not necessarily appear in any others you're playing. It all depends on what the GM has set up.

There's some interesting stuff that's been developed since we last had combat in this game regarding game maps...I may try that, rather than the more primitive "inserting letters to represent combatants" that I used in the past. We'll see.

Len

Dec 6, 2023 10:39 pm
As a DM, I got pretty exhausted by the On The Fly Battle Map stuff and other new features, to be honest. It sure can look pretty, though.

Let us know if you need any help!
Last edited December 6, 2023 10:39 pm
Dec 8, 2023 1:54 am
Len says:
As a DM, I got pretty exhausted by the On The Fly Battle Map stuff and other new features, to be honest. It sure can look pretty, though.

It's not help I want at this point; rather what I'd like is a sense of what the group prefers. We're about to move into the Forest Ruin, which has a map to explore. As players, what is your preference for how maps are presented in a GP D&D 5e game, if you have a preference?

I can easily continue with the hand-drawn maps as simple images (as I have done in the past), I can use the maps with On the Fly Battle Maps, I can use the maps with roll20, or I can try something else that you prefer. My goal is to have the exploration and encounters also be a fun, lightweight, and hopefully immersive experience for you, the players. What would realize that best, for you?
Dec 8, 2023 1:59 am
spaceseeker19 says:
Len says:

It's not help I want at this point; rather what I'd like is a sense of what the group prefers. We're about to move into the Forest Ruin, which has a map to explore. As players, what is your preference for how maps are presented in a GP D&D 5e game, if you have a preference?

I can easily continue with the hand-drawn maps as simple images (as I have done in the past), I can use the maps with On the Fly Battle Maps, I can use the maps with roll20, or I can try something else that you prefer. My goal is to have the exploration and encounters also be a fun, lightweight, and hopefully immersive experience for you, the players. What would realize that best, for you?
I feel like what your doing is fine (I love your drawings btw). Whatever the majority wants is ok with me, personally I’d like to have everything centralized to this site though.

Len

Dec 8, 2023 2:13 am
I'm fine with all of the above. I do like the hand-drawn stuff quite a bit - evokes that being there at the tabletop feeling for me - but only if it is less work. If you find the new tools are fun and efficient, I'm into it.
Last edited December 8, 2023 2:13 am
Dec 8, 2023 2:14 am
I agree with Len about centralizing things on GP. I'm perfectly fine with hand-drawn maps, Excel spreadsheets, or fancier apps like OtFBM. If anything, I'd prefer whatever makes your job easier.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.