Character Creation

load previous
Oct 26, 2015 11:53 am
Your thoughts on Shifter + Wild Shape? How does that even compute? Would you even allow Shifter (of any class)?
Oct 26, 2015 11:59 am
Shifter's in UA isn't it? That's fair. If WotC printed it, I'm going to approve it.

How would Shifter + Wild Shape work? Well, as you would expect... We're talking about a fantasy world with magic coming out of people's finger tips. I don't bother myself with trying to enforce any kind of logic beyond the logic required by the system. If the system allows shifters to wild shape, then that's clearly something that's metaphysically possible in the world. If an explanation is wanted, then I'd usually shoulder the player whose character is challenge people's logical conception of the world to explain it.
Oct 26, 2015 2:45 pm
I don't really have any feats in mind, but I do like rolling stats in order. Okay, so my rolls seem to point me in a particular direction...
STR11 INT5 WIS14 DEX9 CON12 CHR12

Edit: I will complete the character is fits and starts throughout the next 24 hours or so; effectively on the road for the next two and a half days.

Edit 2: I am building a hill dwarf cleric of the life domain and with the heavy armor master feat.
STR12 INT5 WIS15 DEX9 CON14 CHR12

Random roll of background selects guild artisan. Am I a guild merchant? (roll) Nope! OK, so what kind of artisan am I? (roll) That's a wagoner.
Last edited October 28, 2015 3:12 pm

Rolls

STR - (4d6)

(3612) = 12

INT - (4d6)

(1212) = 6

WIS - (4d6)

(6531) = 15

DEX - (4d6)

(3313) = 10

CON - (4d6)

(6133) = 13

CHR - (4d6)

(5225) = 14

Background, personality, ideal, bond, flaw - (1d13, 1d8, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

1d13 : (6) = 6

1d8 : (1) = 1

1d6 : (5) = 5

1d6 : (3) = 3

1d6 : (3) = 3

Guild merchant check - (1d100)

(19) = 19

ARtisan type - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Oct 26, 2015 2:46 pm
Going sorcerer, Half-Elf, Lucky feat
Oct 26, 2015 2:56 pm
A brutal roll of 5 INT! I don't foresee Wizardry in the future for you.

Cool on the Sorcerer! So we've got a Rogue, Sorcerer and Fighter so far confirmed. And very probably a Druid.
Oct 26, 2015 4:19 pm
Changed to half-orc. Lost Alert feat. All set!
Oct 26, 2015 4:27 pm
Heh. Fair.

Well, I'm less inclined to shift to a less efficient initiative structure then. So all is good (plus, Half-Orc's are badass... I am having a hard time not rolling one in every game since I played one. I use to be half-elf ga-ga but then you experience that awesomeness of Half-Orc resilience and bonus crit damage...)
Oct 26, 2015 4:32 pm
Best racial abilities for a tank. Also works better for character concept. He paints in seclusion to control his anger and rampage/blackouts. Normally with blood :)
Oct 26, 2015 4:33 pm
Awesome picture too :)

I'm going to get the game thread up shortly, as half the characters are in now, so that those who are done rolling up characters can start RPing them as the group slowly makes their way towards the dungeon entrance. Nothing will actually get underway until all of the characters are done. This isn't meant to 'rush' the others, so much as provide those who are done with the opportunity to get to playing!
Oct 26, 2015 4:35 pm
Valinar is in. Just working backstory, languages and pic :)
Oct 26, 2015 5:31 pm
Rolling stats in order!

Rolls

DEX - (4d6)

(4334) = 14

CON - (4d6)

(3143) = 11

INT - (4d6)

(4611) = 12

CHA - (4d6)

(2142) = 9

Oct 26, 2015 5:32 pm
Not sure what happened to drop STR and WIS rolls. I'll roll 'em here.

Rolls

STR - (4d6)

(1652) = 14

WIS - (4d6)

(1526) = 14

Oct 26, 2015 6:10 pm
Gonna roll my hit points for levels 2 and 3

Being that I'm an alchemist, is there and chance for me to have some random potions?

EDIT: Rolling HP for level 4
Last edited December 22, 2015 4:27 pm

Rolls

HP for lvl 2, 3 - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (4) = 4

1d6 : (1) = 1

Level 4 HP - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Oct 26, 2015 6:13 pm
I heard there is a lot of new material in the guide. Look forward to getting my hands on it
Oct 26, 2015 6:15 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
I heard there is a lot of new material in the guide. Look forward to getting my hands on it
Anything you want to see I can type up for you :)

I already typed up the Storm Sorcerer in another thread:

Wind Speaker
The arcane magic you command is infused with elemental air. You can speak, read, and write primordial. Knowing this language allows you to understand and be understood by those who speak its dialects: Aquan, Auran, Ignan, and Terran.

Tempestuous Magic
Starting at 1st level, you can use a bonus action on your turn to cause whirling gusts of elemental air to briefly surround you, immediately before or after you cast a spell of 1st level or higher. Doing so allows you to fly up to 10 feet without provoking opportunity attacks.

Heart of the Storm
At 6th level, you gain resistance to lightning and thunder damage. In addition, whenever you start casting a spell of 1st level or higher that deals lightning or thunder damage, stormy magic erupts from you. This eruption causes creatures of your choice that you can see within 10 feet of you to take lightning or thunder damage (choose each time this ability activates) equal to half your sorcerer level.

Storm Guide
At 6th level, you gain the ability to subtly control the weather around you.
If it is raining, you can sue an action to cause the rain to stop falling in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on you. You can end this effect as a bonus action.
If it is windy, you can use a bonus action each round to choose the direction that the wind blows in a 100-foot-radius sphere centered on you. The wind blows in that direction until the end of your next turn. This feature doesn't alter the speed of the wind.

Storm's Fury
Starting at 14th level, when you are hit my a melee attack, you can user your reaction to deal lightning damage to the attacker. The damage equals your sorcerer level. The attacker must also make a Strength saving throw against your sorcerer spell save DC. On a failed save, the attacker is pushed in a straight line up to 20 feet away from you.

Wind Soul
At 18th level, you gain immunity to lightning and thunder damage.
You also gain a magical flying speed of 60 feet. As an action you can reduce your flying speed to 30 feet for 1 hour and choose a number of creatures within 30 feet of you equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. The chosen creatures gain a magical flying speed of 30 feet for 1 hour. Once you reduce your flying speed in this way, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest.
Oct 26, 2015 6:29 pm
Naatkinson says:

Being that I'm an alchemist, is there and chance for me to have some random potions?
Why not... you'll need (all the help you can get... MUAHAHAHA):

Rolls

1d6 random potions - (1d6)

(1) = 1

1d6 more (because damn that was unlucky) - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Oct 26, 2015 6:33 pm
And what 6 potions can you have?

These!

Potion of Fire Breath (DMG 187)
Potion of Longevity (DM 188)
Potions of Clairvoyance (DM 187)
Potion of Heroism x3 (DM 188)
Oct 26, 2015 6:37 pm
Candi says:
And what 6 potions can you have?

These!

Potion of Fire Breath (DMG 187)
Potion of Longevity (DM 188)
Potions of Clairvoyance (DM 187)
Potion of Heroism x3 (DM 188)
Awesome! Thank you :)

I doubt it will be enough to to keep me alive, but we will see lol
Oct 26, 2015 6:38 pm
I figured, 3 very practical potions (Heroism, you could even share those!), 1 cool potion (fire breath!), and 2 potions that could be useful (?) we'll see what you do with Clairvoyance... and Longevity.
Oct 26, 2015 9:13 pm
I am creating a Hill Dwarf Cleric of War. Hopefully that will provide some durability to the party!
Quote:
Boide Stonebook was an orphan, raised in a temple to Clanggedin Silverbeard, Dwarven god of war. As an acolyte, he spent his time as typical of initiates, tending to ceremonies and participating in practical aspects of battle. Boide wasn't a very studious cleric, and he spent more time in the libraries than in the temples and training grounds, poring over ancient texts and battle histories from aeons past. He did not slack in his duties, but for Boide everything was a ritual, going through the motions, and he never found himself aspiring for anything more than a chance to re-read the epic sagas of past heroes.

This changed when the temple was commissioned to aid in a protracted battle against an orc horde. Boide and other clerics were donned in armor and marched alongside the armies of the king, performing rites and leading the soldiers in prayers. Boide was excited to finally get a taste of the battles he had only read about. But when the charge sounded, Boide wavered in his faith. He broke and fled the battlefield, casting his armor and weapons aside.

The priests found him in the library, cowered under a desk in a puddle of his own sweat and tears. They did not admonish him, for it was his first battle, but for some dwarves the best way to overcome fears is to jump head-first back into it. Seeing as how the temple itself did not provide, the priests ordered Boide to seek redemption and renew his faith in the outside world.

For Boide, this meant finding his way in the midst of battle. He would listen to the songs of Clanggedin in the echoes of steel against steel. He would administer to the wounded and provide encouragement where needed. He would add his voice as prayer amidst the shouts of combat. And hopefully, with each fight that he survived, he might redeem himself in the eyes of his calling and finally understand what it means to be a dwarven cleric of war.

At least, that was his intention. Sometimes when things looked especially bleak, Boide found himself struggling with the gnawing urge to flee. It became a constant inner battle with his dark and terrible shame, an internal war with himself that seemed like it would never end, nor ever be won.
I tried to mix the Acolyte and Criminal backgrounds. Acolyte for his time spent in the temple, and Criminal to illustrate the shame of cowardice he burdens himself with, and still fights within. Boide himself is pretty reckless in battle because he believes it is the best way to overcome his fears as well as earn redemption. So, maybe not so durable for the party after all.

http://orig09.deviantart.net/597c/f/2012/074/2/3/readying_dwarf_by_tregis-d4st4bf.jpg
Last edited October 31, 2015 10:57 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.