Expedition: White Plume Mountain

load previous
Dec 29, 2016 4:28 am
"Dig around, maybe?" Eithne says, sniffing around the door frame.
Dec 29, 2016 7:03 am
Boide nods. "Certainly worth a try. Just don't bring the ceiling down on us."
Dec 29, 2016 11:55 am
The floor and walls are made of hewn stone. It is difficult to tell if the metal barrier, metal plate inside the door-shaped hole, or the walls, would be more difficult to dig or carve your way through.
Dec 29, 2016 3:58 pm
Boide tries sticking his hand into the 2'x6' rectangular hole, and pushing against the metal.
Dec 29, 2016 4:07 pm
OOC:
How hard are you pushing? Just testing it, or a good heave? If a good heave, make a str roll.
Dec 29, 2016 4:11 pm
Boide squares his body behind his arm to give more weight to his push, a solid heave to try and force open the barrier.

Rolls

Strength! - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

Dec 29, 2016 4:25 pm
Taris stands behind the dwarf, waiting to see if his attempt to force it will work.
Dec 29, 2016 4:33 pm
Eithne, who has been studying the walls and floor wondering if she can use her magic to tunnel around the door, stands back as Boide gives the door a mighty push.
Dec 29, 2016 6:55 pm
The door is firmly held in place, but, with a grunt and strength he didn't know he had, Boide manages to get it to slowly grind open. He has to keep heaving on it for what feels like minutes, and slowly but surely the door is opened. Ahead is another ten foot corridor that ends with a wall of metal identical to the one you just pushed through - inset metal door included. The floor here is dry, the water kept at bay by the metal bulwark.
Dec 29, 2016 6:58 pm
Boide's pride falls as yet another barrier is revealed. With a grunt, he looks on the other side of the door to see if there's a mechanism to open it.
Dec 29, 2016 7:11 pm
There is a handle on the other side of the door, but no mechanism. There are no bolts or locks. It appears that the door was just itself very heavy, and hung with a very unforgiving set of hinges.
Dec 29, 2016 7:13 pm
"Funny, ain't it? It's almost like they don't want us to go this way." Boide rotates his shoulder and catches his breath after all that exertion.
Dec 29, 2016 7:15 pm
"Perfect reason to continue on, I think" Tolvaj remarks as he moves to inspect the door.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20-1)

(7) - 1 = 6

Dec 29, 2016 7:23 pm
Eithne touches Boide's shoulder and says something in a language the dwarf doesn't recognize.
OOC:
Casting Enhance Ability (STR). Boide now has advantage on strength checks for the next hour as long as Eithne maintains concentration.
Dec 29, 2016 7:58 pm
"Maybe you should take a rest and I should give this next one a try?" Taris suggests to the dwarf, "Wouldn't be good for you to strain yourself."
Dec 29, 2016 8:00 pm
Tolvaj's inspection reveals no more than they already knew: thick metal, designed not to be opened easily. Given the placement of the handles it seems clear that their design is to make passage from the direction they are travelling difficult.
Jan 3, 2017 4:05 pm
Taris pushes against the door, trying to open it.

Rolls

Strength Check (Advantage if Eithne changes the target of her spell) - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

1d20+4 : (8) + 4 = 12

Jan 3, 2017 4:39 pm
OOC:
Yeah I thought Boide would reattempt it. If I'm allowed to change my target then yeah I'll cast it on Taris instead since he's trying the door.
Last edited January 3, 2017 5:24 pm
Jan 3, 2017 5:03 pm
OOC:
Target Taris instead, since he's got the better Strength.

Y'know, for a half-elf.
Last edited January 3, 2017 5:04 pm
Jan 3, 2017 10:01 pm
OOC:
I'll allow the change, it all kind of happened at once!
Taris leans into the next door, but is unable to make it so much as budge.
OOC:
You could fit two of you in there if a character wanted to assist. When assisting you make a test against DC 10, if you succeed you add +2 to the primary check result - at least that's how I'm ruling it. I am not sure if that's the actual assist rule.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.