Character creation discussion

load previous
Feb 25, 2016 9:11 pm
@ Candi
Any idea what you'd like to play yet? Darth has the smart sensible role under control, I have the angle for why we'd take odd missions and the passive aggressive role plus comedy relief.
Feb 25, 2016 9:13 pm
Still waiting to here if FaD is allowed. If it is, I'd like to make a Togruta Sentinel Shadow/Shien Expert. Basically, a force-fuelled infiltrator.
Feb 25, 2016 9:18 pm
and I See that there's still only 3 of us. are we waiting for 4 players or is it cool to start with 3 and add more later if we get interested parties?

oh crap, this means I need to read the character creation rules, doesn't it?
Feb 25, 2016 9:21 pm
Pick a race, pick a career, pick a specialization, spend XP (and XP expenses are easy too, there's a chart that explains them), then spend money. Hardest part, of course, is spending XP and money.
Feb 25, 2016 9:23 pm
I get the feeling that my character will be doing a lot of eye rolling in this game....
Feb 25, 2016 9:24 pm
Well eventually yeah. I think the other player who was looking at the game was doing the same Candit wondering about if they could play a FaD character or just force sensitive. From the other mix game I wonder if some of your conflict will steam from stuff the non Jedi do...
Feb 25, 2016 9:42 pm
Yeah. Not sure how she'd shape up personality wise - I actually tend to like just rolling on the tables for Conflict / Destiny whatever it's called when I get to the end then retroactively come up with a personality / ideal / drive that brings together what I built mechanically and what I rolled thematically.
Feb 25, 2016 9:55 pm
I'm still very new to the system, would a force user with destiny and conflict and all that stuff work out with characters with obligations and such? and why the hell are we travelling with so many force users instead of turning them in for the bounty?
Feb 25, 2016 10:11 pm
Maybe they're useful ;)

And yes, the 'three systems' are actually variations of the same core system, and the books integrate almost seamlessly.
Feb 25, 2016 10:26 pm
in other star wars games, the jedi are raging combat monsters and totally throw off the balance of the game. I don't have force and destiny, are jedi more balanced this time around?
Feb 25, 2016 10:29 pm
As far as I've seen, yes they are quite balanced. Also, if the parties only real combat comes from a jedi or two, it's probably ok for us that lightsabers are a bit on the crazy side (mostly the thing with them is that they ignore armour).
Last edited February 25, 2016 10:30 pm
Feb 26, 2016 12:33 am
I'd say they're balanced to a point and it needs to be brought up beforehand with an agreement for the group as a whole if we're spliting half and half it seems. Every class and build can be in the same game but if you have AoR PCs want all starfighter and vehicle combat, FaD want to mow down stuff with their lightsabers, and EotE want something else entirely since that's what they built to it's really three different games butting heads for screentime. Someone is going to take two ranks in thumb twiddling for free I feel.

Via one of the games I was playing in (Candi you know the one) one was a Jedi who was 'good' so our actions were going to be questionable to say the least, the other was more of a force using combat monkey from what I read through the game threads who didn't like the order for his own reason and how they did things so he was pretty much a Lightsaber wood chipper. Which is great if everyone just wants to melt face I guess.

But it'll break the party up and situations for balance I think and if that's the case it's pretty much two seperate games with some RPing together now and then, that's doable in truth but that's a lot of extra on the GM if you think about it. If half the group always pulls lightsabers first due to breach (ignores 10 points of armor/soak) it means combat will have stronger enemies or droids I figure or we're facing other lightsaber users to balance things out I figure. As someone playing a non-Jedi I'd probably chuck a deuce when combat starts and lightsabers come out and be off doing something else to feel useful or just bow out of the game.

Personally if most of the group wanted to play force users I'd say if the GM and players are cool with it make it a force centric game. Since I'm already in one of those though I'll probably withdraw. I think there's two more people that wanted to play and there's one slot so that works out for me if I bow out.
Feb 26, 2016 12:47 am
I see your point, but really, if we're building a team the way you should (non-overlapping expertise), if you have a lightsaber combat character in the party their *job* is to do the awesome combat thing. If your character isn't built for combat, then whether or not there's a jedi in the bunch you're going to feel less useful in a fight (in two of the games I'm in that are active my characters are social characters. When blasters start firing, I tend to hide and let the brawlers and shooters take care of it. They do the same when it comes to investigation/conversation, where my character's shine and I take centre stage).

Anyway. I'm not keen on making a 'lightsaber woodchipper'. I was planning to use a lightsaber, but mostly because our crew so far is a bounty hunter and a doctor. Figured someone with a 'breach' melee weapon with a focus on blaster deflection might prove useful (and because then I could build the character around one stat: Cunning; but only if I use a ligthsaber).

That said, I'm happy to not go that route if you feel that a lightsaber in the house might edge in on your character's territory in terms of expertise (honestly, jedi are 'balanced' fine, the big issue is the sabers and specifically breach). To be honest, I'd be surprised if falryx let someone start with a lightsaber anyway. In whcih case, I'd go for a straight up Sentinel/Shadow built to be a force using ninja and rely on a blaster for fights if it comes to it (but, in fact, build more towards non-combat oriented stuff; knowledge underworld and sneaking about).
Feb 26, 2016 12:54 am
the way I see it, it all comes down to theme.

at the time period we're playing, a force user would be insane to whip out a lightsaber at their first encounter with opposition. they're in hiding, the empire will pay good money for their capture and nobody ever sees them again. I'm thinking about the first season of star wars rebels where kanan and ezra pull the sabers when the opposition is really overwhelming. they mostly use blasters when they have to fight. everyone in the crew can fight somewhat and the jedi are usually deflecting bolts to keep everyone safe and cover their escapes.

I think force users would work in the game as long as we all have good synergy. my character will probably be crap in a fight, and that's ok. jedi are more useful in close combat and bounty hunters are better at range. besides, it just wouldn't be star wars if the party wasn't forced to split up due to an inquisitor showing up or a blast door shutting.
Feb 26, 2016 12:54 am
Going without a lightsaber saved me 35 XP, it's nice not buying a second specialization at creation ;)

Here's the build I've got tentatively for a Togruta Shadow (focus is on infiltration, clearly, with a competency at computers to fill a partial gap in the team).
Last edited February 26, 2016 12:55 am
Feb 26, 2016 2:22 am
so I was thinking about my obligation, and I was originally going to go with bounty since I was an escaped slave. would that make sense with her working with a bounty hunter? how would that work? would it be better to take another obligation, like debt and just be stranded in the out rim until we meet each other? suggestions?
Feb 26, 2016 2:24 am
Could be that the bounty hunter doesn't know about your bounty, or maybe the hunter owes you for saving their life (or regards you as a more useful member of the crew than as a few credits for cashing your head in), or maybe the hunter doesn't work with or for whomever has the bounty out on you for personal reasons (or other reasons). Lots of ways to make a bounty as an obligation work with a bounty hunting crew.
Feb 26, 2016 2:28 am
oh, I like the idea of the bounty being a secret for at least a little while. good roleplaying/character development fodder.

anyway, here's what I got so far for my character
Last edited February 26, 2016 3:02 am
Feb 26, 2016 3:30 pm
@ Darth did you click the book on your character list to add it to the library so it's viewable by others?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.