Chapter 1 - The Red Waterfall

load previous
Mar 18, 2015 11:00 pm
"Oh, good. These things know how to die." Ewan steps in for a chop down on the white-spotted frog.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Attack (2nd for advantage) - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Damage - (1d10+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Mar 19, 2015 12:03 pm
The dart glides through the air and buries itself into the frog's rubbery flesh. It lets out a croak of its own and collapses to the ground in front of Ghelin.
Mar 19, 2015 4:37 pm
"Good shot Kicsi!" yells Ghelin "The slippery bugger was a bit to quick for me. Didn't know how to stand still!" Ghelin then begins to chant and a bright flame like radiance descends on the last frog.

[ooc: it needs to make a dex saving throw vs Ghelin's spellcasting save which is 13]

Rolls

Spell Damage - (1d8)

(2) = 2

Mar 19, 2015 10:49 pm
OOC: I'm assuming the advantage on the frog would negate the disadvantage from close-range spell casting

Seizing the opportunity, Mac raises his wand and launches out another fiery bolt aimed at the frog.

Rolls

Fire Bolt Attack [2 Prof and 3 Int] - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Fire Bolt Damage - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Mar 20, 2015 8:31 pm
The last sight the white spotted frog had was flames engulfing it. Ghelin's radiance blinded the poor creature staggering it before Mac's bolt seared through it. A minute of intense action ends with four giant frogs lying upon your feet and the hundreds of normal frogs hopping in all directions as the sun begins to creep above the top of the waterfall.

The bridge sits before you and you are still baffled to find that it ends right into the sheer face of the rock of the waterfall. The water remains as red as ever and the wind is beginning to pick up. You look at the lake and notice the generally calm waters begin to agitate and crest waves. The waves begin flowing towards you and rise in size until a form takes shape in front of you.

http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2011/303/4/e/the_water_elemental_undine_by_xzeromus-d4ejhcf.jpg
Mar 20, 2015 9:47 pm
"Excellent!"

Kicsi plucks her dart from the dead frog's back and places it into her pouch, "wasn't sure I'd be able to find you... What is that???"

Quickly and as quietly as possible, Kicsi attempts to hide away in the bushes behind Mac. Whispering to him she says, "Just in case a surprise of some sort is needed", and then hunkers down and draws a dart into her hand.

EDIT: Forgot to add the +5 to the roll, should be a 19.
Last edited March 20, 2015 9:55 pm

Rolls

Stealth Check [+5] - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Mar 20, 2015 11:35 pm
Ewan steps back, and tries to keep himself ready to defend himself without taking an obvious threatening posture. Water elemental is his first thought, but there's something...too human, too deliberate, about the form this entity has taken. Taking a few steps back, he tries a "Hello?" on the creature in Common, and tries to remember if he has heard or read about anything like this before.
Last edited March 20, 2015 11:35 pm

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Mar 21, 2015 4:17 pm
Before Mac could catch his breath from the fight, his back was pressed behind a tree next to Kicsi, hiding from the figure. Doing his best to stay quiet, Mac slipped his book out of his bag and began flipping through it, looking for any kind of information on the creature in the lake.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Arcana - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Mar 23, 2015 2:19 am
"Hello." is the reply from the water form, although you soon realize that it didn't speak the words but imparted them directly into your mind. This would normally seem troubling, but the creature seems calm.

"Help us.......the water has been poisoned.......we don't have long...." it conveys. "A small town some days from here is killing us..."

It's form lessens and then splashes down back into the lake. It reforms a moment later. "The bridge will teleport you there," it adds before dropping again and this time not returning.

OOC: You indeed confirm that it is a water elemental. It doesn't seem aggressive to you at all.
Mar 23, 2015 4:03 pm
Ghelin makes sure he is standing on the bridge "This'll be a new experience, teleporting and all. Hopefully we come out the other end in one piece"
Mar 23, 2015 5:14 pm
Ewan considers this for a moment, shrugs, steps onto the bridge.
Mar 23, 2015 9:21 pm
Kicsi slips her dart back into her pouch and slides out of hiding. Approaching the others she asks, "Anyone else feel like this might be a trap? After all, it was these very waters that claimed Darious' life."
Last edited March 26, 2015 1:57 am
Mar 23, 2015 9:32 pm
"Elementals tend to be pretty guileless, in my experience. If she hadn't come up and said anything, we still likely would have set foot on the bridge anyway."
Last edited March 23, 2015 11:18 pm
Mar 24, 2015 1:31 am
Ghelin says "Well, from how I see it, if the water beasty wanted us dead, we'd already be there"
Mar 24, 2015 1:41 am
Kicsi quickly relents, "I suppose you're both correct. Still not sure how I feel about being teleported away on the advice of an elemental but it does appear to be our only real lead." Turning her head towards Mac, who is still hidden behind a tree, she playfully yells, "You can come out now, she's gone."
Mar 24, 2015 3:45 am
Mac, immersed in his book, flinched and dropped the text as Kicsi called out his name. Picking it up, he approached the others and called out to her, "Sorry, I was just looking for information on that thing. As far as I can tell, its definitely an elemental. I have no idea if its telling the truth, though. But unless you guys want to jump in the lake and see what happens then the bridge is the only lead we have right now."

OOC: Is my detect magic ritual still active? It lasts 10 minutes from when I cast it.
Mar 26, 2015 2:12 am
You all take a deep breath and walk towards the wall of stone at the far end of the bridge. Ewan shrugs once again and slowly puts his hand out to touch the black stone. His eyes widen as his hand disappears up to his wrist before reflexively pulling it back out.

"Well I'll be," he mutters, flexing his digits to ensure everything is still in working order.

One by one you step into the stone. Once inside, all is black, cold, and completely silent. Mac tries to speak but the words do not come. You float for what seems hours before emerging on the other side, quite intact.

An identical bridge stands in front of you as you walk back out into the morning air. Behind you, the black stone rises up just as it did on the other side. While some differences in the types of trees and rocks are present, another red waterfall flows down into a lake. As you walk off the bridge you find that you are standing upon a small hill looking down upon a small village in the valley, jagged mountains rising sharply on both sides. You all look at each other and give the shared look of having absolutely no idea where in the Realms you are.
Mar 26, 2015 2:26 am
Pointing to the village Kicsi says, "That would appear to be our destination, yes? But first, do any of you have any idea where we're at?"
Mar 26, 2015 3:14 am
szemely says:
Pointing to the village Kicsi says, "That would appear to be our destination, yes? But first, do any of you have any idea where we're at?"
Pulling his book and bottle of blood from his bag yet again, Mac replies, "Hold on, let me take a look at the cliff and see if I can figure out its magical properties. Can one of you guys go to the lake and compare the water with my bottle of Fey blood to see if they're identical? If need be I can perform the ritual for Detect Magic again, but it looks to me like we might get more answers by travelling to the village. Although there isn't any solid evidence right now, I think its possible that a bolt of fire could have traveled from this cliff sides to the other and killed Darious, whether intentionally or by chance."

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Mar 26, 2015 12:09 pm
The lake samples are indeed identical, both a murky red and with the faint smell of blood.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.