Chapter 1 - The Red Waterfall

Feb 2, 2015 10:21 pm
The morning of 5 Alturiak came cold and dark. You had been living in the farming city of Elturel for almost a year now. A simpler life of farming felt good; A real sense of accomplishment. You were enjoying be anonymous and people keeping to themselves. That was until the 5th day of the Claw of Winter.

As the sun crept up over the horizon the peaceful sound of morning was interrupted by the heavy trampling of mounted horses. The Hellriders-the guards of the village-returned from a scouting mission. They made their way to the barracks near the town square, pulling up their mounts and coming to a stop. Strapped to the back of one of the horses was one of their own, to what was left of him. As they lowered his body to the ground you could see that the skin of his face and upper body had been burned badly. So badly that you could not recognize the man. You heard one of the men whisper his name Darious, and shake his head in pity. This poor thing looked nothing like the man Darious that you knew.

Twenty minutes had passed and then crowd had grown to see what the commotion was about. By then the city leader, Lord Taveen Dhelt had arrived and was speaking with the leader of the guard, Aven Kairoos.
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/c/c3/Elturel.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110529184343

[note="""]Please use the opening post to recount how and why you ended up in this village and your reactions to the dead soldier being brought back.[/note]
Feb 5, 2015 7:32 pm
After spending a year in mercenary service to a beholder warlord and doing things I wasn't terribly proud of, I put away enough money to buy out the rest of my contract and looked for someplace quiet and boring to recuperate. And so I ended up here.

I can't help but take a kind of professional interest in what happened to Darious and how the town plans to deal with the situation, whatever it is. I wander closer to get a better look, and maybe eavesdrop on the Hellriders.
Feb 5, 2015 10:42 pm
I adjusted my inch-thick spectacles, trying to peer over the shoulder of a large man in front of me. A thick lump formed in the center of my stomach as my eyes locked on the guard's mangled corpse, strewn on the ground. I had read plenty of books about murders and mysteries, sure, but to see one myself was an entirely different experience, I felt the color drain from my face as I looked onto it, my eyes drawn to it against my will. Yet I quickly averted my gaze, flustered and pale at what I had just seen. Elturel had always been a relatively safe place, sure there was the occasional thief, but never this. It had always been a place filled with people I could call a friend, no matter how different we were - but now to see one of those men, one of my friends, one of the first men to great me when I arrived here a year ago, lying on the ground as a charred shadow of himself...

I've always been quite sheltered, admittedly, even after I moved from my father's Keep to the Watchful Order mage academy in Waterdeep. The Tower of Order had acted as my shield, protecting me from murders, monsters, and any brutality running rampant in the rest of Faerun. Before that I had always been under my father's disapproving eye and my mother's sheltering arms - I hadn't even seen an Orc until I was almost 14. And Elturel had always been a nice little town, relatively safe from outside scourges, and a perfect place to practice my Magic in my spare time when I hadn't been working part time as a farmhand, far from the kind of brutality laying on the ground not thirty feet from me. I wiped my spectacles clean on my shirt and looked back at Darious's corpse, this time shuddering a bit less. If this was what the rest of the world was like then I supposed I ought to do something about it.

Doing my best to slink through the crowd, I attempted to get closer to Taveen, hoping to hear what was going on. I would do whatever I could to help Elturel and stop this from happening again. I wasn't much of a warrior, far from burly as any of the other farmhands, but I had been practicing magic for almost two years now, both with and without the Watchful Order, and in another month I would be twenty. Besides, Elturel had always been kind to me, perhaps this incident would give me a chance to pay the people back. I may have flunked out of the Watchful Order, but I refused to fail now.
Feb 6, 2015 12:07 am
Elturel had been good to Kicsi over the last year. After having spent most of her life training at the the Ten Points Monastery in Luton the time had come to strike out on her own. She didn’t want to, life at the monastery was good, happy, and it was all she had ever known. Some of her favorite memories growing up revolved around the yearly trips her and the other brothers (even the females of the order were referred to as brothers) would take to remote villages in order to offer assistance and look for potential recruits. She had particularly fond memories of her trip to Elturel as a young monk, so when the time had come to leave the monastery (as all brothers must upon reaching a certain age) she didn’t have too much trouble deciding where she would go.

Working in the fields during the day was hard work but it helped to keep her mind off of the monastery and her brothers; both of which she missed dearly. Slowly, however, she adjusted to her new life. She had made a few friends and was even teaching some of the youngsters the ways of her order. Elturel was becoming home - a home that had suddenly been violated by who or whatever had done this to Darious. After bowing her head in silent prayer for Darious and his family she worked her way through the crowd in an attempt to hear what had happened.
Feb 6, 2015 2:20 am
Life was good in Elturel. It had been a quite town. Being one of the few Dwarves in the town, I've always stood out. The rumors of my blessing also made me well known. This, I always used to my advantage, especially when it came to starting my tavern - The Brewer's Den. Elturel was the perfect town for inexpensive, quality goods to craft my famous Dwarven Ale.

It just so happens, that when the ancient blessed me, it told me to wait in Elturel and I would know when it was time to begin my journey. My destiny. This must be the day. Unfortunately the beginning of my journey seems to be marked by the death of a good friend Darious. Darious was always the joking sort, he would visit The Brewer's Den often. Many a good times we had playing dice together and he always was the first to try my latest batch of ale.

I could see the crowd gathering through the window of my tavern. I quickly served the last order and told my waitress Laurel to take over. This didn't matter much as most of the customers had already cleared out to see the commotion. I push my way to the front of the crowd and cry out "Darious, laddy! Who did this to ye!" I then check his body to see if my cleric training would serve him in any way.
Feb 7, 2015 9:06 pm
Ghelin pushed away some of the guards to get a better look at Darious but the leader, Aven Kairoos, stood in the way. "There is nothing that can be done Master Dwarf. We've tried everything that was possible. The flames were simply too much to overcome," he said in a gentle voice resting a gloved hand on Ghelin's shoulder.

"What happened here Aven?" Lord Taveen Dhelt asked.

"It was the waterfall my lord," he replied looking back down at the horribly burnt body of one of his most experienced and trusted men. "It began to flow red again. Darious approached it and when he was no more than a few feet away the water....it turned to flame. He was engulfed before we even knew what was happening.
Feb 8, 2015 12:42 am
Arjen says:
"It was the wonderful my lord,"
[OOC: Is this supposed to say waterfall? Also, I'm just going to write in 3rd person from now on, I think it flows a bit better.]

Mac emerged from the crowd, standing next to the Dwarf. He glanced down at Ghelin, although the pair were not close friends Mac was an occasional visitor to The Brewer's Den and he knew Ghelin to be a good man. "Excuse my, my Lord," interrupted Mac, "I heard what Mr. Kairoos just said and I believe I may be of some assistance. This sounds like the work of Magic, perhaps the waterfall is enchanted. Would you mind elaborating a bit on what happened and its history? Did anything particular draw you there while scouting? I might be able to figure out something - I used to be a student of Evocation in Waterdeep."

This was finally Mac's chance, he had been learning about magic for years but this incident was finally an opportunity to put his knowledge to use. He was convinced that this was the work of some kind of magic based on the description, and perhaps his knowledge could come to use for the village.
Feb 8, 2015 11:49 pm
"Lord Taveen, where is this waterfall? And what do you mean 'again'? Has this happened before?"

Ghelin nodded towards Mac, sensing his urgency and his commitment to solving this tragedy. Maybe he would be a usefull ally in the inevitable journey to Ghelin's destiny. Ghelin knew his world was changing, he would be sorrowed to leave his tavern, everything he built. One goal completed, he was itching for another goal, with a more exciting journey. Even danger seemed thrilling after decades of being a brewmaster.
Feb 9, 2015 2:43 am
"Yes, it would seem to be some sort of the Art, that I agree," Aven responded to Mac. "I'm glad you arrived wizard, as I am certain we will need your help."

"The waterfall is not more than a half day's ride from here," Lord Taveen said. His face was grim and his tone was one of utter contempt. "It's done this twice now, bleeding as it were. A horse got too close the first time we saw it and met the same grisly fate as our dear friend here." He looked down at Darious and shook his head. "We sent men to Candlekeep hoping one of the sages there would be able to help but they have not returned."

Lord Tavern looks Gmelin and Mac over sternly. "If you think your knowledge of the arcane is detailed enough, go take a look," he finished. "Okay, everyone, back to it. We have things to do and this man's burial to plan for," he shouted before walking back to the Hellrider's quarters with Aven.
Feb 9, 2015 2:55 am
Kicsi over hearing the conversation between them approaches Ghelin and Mac. "I've never heard of such a thing in my previous travels. I would be interested in traveling with you and offering my assistance. Perhaps some sort of explanation would help bring some small bit of peace to Darious' loved ones."
Last edited February 10, 2015 2:13 am
Feb 9, 2015 8:23 pm
Ewan looks over the three strangers who have just volunteered to go investigate this bloody, flaming waterfall and shakes his head. Do they know what they're getting into? It could be some cruel enchantment, but flowing bodies of water made of fire and blood -- that smacks of planar influence to him. And he can't just idle away his days resting in this town if something of THAT nature is so close at hand.

"You there -- you're going to see this waterfall?" he asks them. "If you've no objection, I'd like to go with you. I don't like what I'm hearing about it and I want to see it for myself."
Feb 10, 2015 1:00 am
Ghelin looks over the two new voices stepping out of the crowd. Two familiar faces, acquaintances from around town. Kikci and Ewan they were always more capable than other folks around town and seemed to have good heads on their shoulders.

"Your companionship is most welcome. It looks like we have four able bodies. A good number. We can watch each other's backs while we travel to figure out this mystery." Ghelin says. "Let us see justice done for Darious's family and to protect this city we call home."

"Shall we gather a few supplies, horses and meet back here, say in an hour?"
Feb 10, 2015 2:21 am
The halfling nods at Ghelin and and answers in Dwarvish, "Excellent!".

Speaking to the newly formed group while staring at the ground, "An hour will be sufficient for me. I will gather some supplies and see about acquiring a smallish mount from the stables."
Feb 10, 2015 4:36 am
"An hour should be find for me as well," Replied Mac, "I just need to grab my spellbook and wand, some supplies, and try to find myself a horse."

Mac shot the group a smile, he was really just a boy but for a split second Mac Bartle looked like a man. He had trained his whole life for this chance, a chance to put his Wizardry to use and finally help someone. Mac adjusted his spectacles once more and silently vowed to bring justice to Darious with his new found allies.
Feb 10, 2015 5:18 pm
[Could I do some Persuasion at the stables to try and talk whoever's in charge into loaning us horses?]
Feb 10, 2015 10:27 pm
[Yes, a roll for the horses seems in order.]

Morning turned to noon as you each went about your business preparing for the journey south to the waterfall, just outside Fort Morninglord. The weather was cold, a strong breeze coming out of the north but it felt warmer given the intense sunshine in the cloudless sky. It would be a half day's ride from here you knew putting you in to the area by dusk. You all hoped that it would be an uneventful trip.
Feb 10, 2015 10:55 pm
Ghelin hurriedly prepared his backpack with all the things he could think to bring on an adventure. He had an inkling that he would need more than just rations and water. He told Laurel, his waitress, that he would be gone for the day, maybe longer; and that she would be be in charge of the evening preparations for the tavern. If she needed help, she could hire one of the local youngsters for the day.

Ghelin then walked over to the fireplace mantle. He eyed the Warhammer hanging above. This warhammer had been handed down from his great grandfather who fought in the Weeping War. He told the warhammer, "It is time you see action again. I just hope I'll live up to grandfather's name."
Feb 11, 2015 5:01 pm
Ewan tries to convince the stablemaster to loan us some horses for the good of Elturel. He's not above dropping some hints that his ancestry might give him some special insight into the dire nature of the waterfall situation, even if that isn't strictly true. Might as well take some advantage from having been born as this.
Last edited March 3, 2015 4:59 pm

Rolls

Persuasion check - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Feb 11, 2015 9:03 pm
Mac hurridly gathered his things from his room. He already prepared some spells for the day, and just needed his spellbook and supplies. This was finally Mac's chance, an opportunity to be a real wizard and put his training to practice. Done packing, Mac turned to leave his hut, and was half way out the door before he realized he missed the most important thing. Mac spun seound and opened up a crowded drawer. After about a minute of rifling through it, he pulled out a delicate mahogany wand. This was the wand he used back in the academy, and now for the first time since he left it was back in his hands. Mac made certain to place it in his frontmost pocket. On the other side of his robe he placed a dagger with the same care. It was really just a pocket knife, but Mac didn't want to take chances. Mac looked through his bag once again to make sure everything was right, and when he finished the young wizard headed back to town, and making sure to bring money to buy equipment with.

[I'm going to buy a bedroll, a waterskin, a glass bottle, a tent, and 10 days of rations. This comes up to 5 gold and 52 silver going by the Basic Rules prices. I'm also going to make sure my waterskin is filled with water from the well.]
Last edited February 11, 2015 9:12 pm
Feb 11, 2015 10:20 pm
The smell of manure and hay fills Ewan's nostrils as he approaches the stables. A medium sized white colt with a shock of black down its back snorted as he passed. Marin, the owner of the stables, greets you with a smile. You explain your circumstances.

"I'm sorry Ewan, I'd love to help you out but with this Darious tragedy has had the Hellriders taking more of the horses. I'm already losing money on that," he replied, with the sound of resentment in his voice. "I'm sure you understand," he added before turning back to finish grooming another of the colts.
Feb 11, 2015 10:49 pm
Kicsi retrieves a long, slim box from underneath her bed and carefully places it on the table. Kard, I haven't needed your assistance in over a year and I hope it remains that way throughout our latest ordeal, she says to herself as she opens the box and looks down upon her sword. A gift from Brother Testvér, Kard was specially made for the halfling and has been at her side since she entered the Ten Points Monastery. Sheathing Kard, Kicsi grabs her pack and patiently packs her belongings, grabbing what she feels she'll need for the journey to the waterfall. Items are listed on her character sheet. Heaving her pack over her shoulder she heads out the door and heads to the stables.

Approaching the stables she sees that Ewan is already talking to Marin. Excellent! I hope they have a small one for me.
Last edited February 14, 2015 5:22 am
Feb 11, 2015 11:06 pm
Ewan grimaces and asks, as nicely as he can, "How much would it cost to lease us some horses for a day or two, Marin?"
Feb 12, 2015 4:45 am
As Ghelin approaches the stables, he sees most of his party already there. Slapping Ewan on the back, he says "I see ol' Marin is giving you a hard time. Marin! How about free drinks for a month at the tavern if you provide us with a two horses for Ewan and our friend Mac, plus two ponies for Kicsi and myself. We'll bring them back in a few days. I promise no harm will come to them or I'll eat my boot!"

Ghelin thinks to himself, I'm probably going to have to eat my boot.
Feb 13, 2015 4:39 pm
Peering in from the side of the door, Mac called out to Marin and his friends, "Hey there, are we having some trouble?" Mac sauntered across the stable, and pushed his spectacles up the rim of his nose. Mac continued, "If Ghelin's offer doesn't suit you I could also give you a hand leaning the stables for a month or so - we could probably get it done in an hour with a little bit of magic and some elbow grease."

[Do you want me to roll for Persuasion?]
Feb 17, 2015 2:39 am
mrmrlol says:
Peering in from the side of the door, Mac called out to Marin and his friends, "Hey there, are we having some trouble?" Mac sauntered across the stable, and pushed his spectacles up the rim of his nose. Mac continued, "If Ghelin's offer doesn't suit you I could also give you a hand leaning the stables for a month or so - we could probably get it done in an hour with a little bit of magic and some elbow grease."

[Do you want me to roll for Persuasion?]
[Yes]
Feb 17, 2015 2:49 am
[Rolling for Persuasion]

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Feb 18, 2015 1:14 pm
"Mac, I'm sorry but I can't just let any more horses go without proper payment," he replied. "I wish I could help, truly," he adds a sincere look of apology on his face.
Feb 18, 2015 5:58 pm
"Hells, let's just walk. It'll be faster at this rate," Ewan snaps.
Feb 18, 2015 9:29 pm
Kicsi gives Ewan a sympathetic look and decides to try her luck with Marin. "We're not asking for handouts as we're all more than willing to work off our debts to you. Failing that, what are the proper rates for the arrangement of horses that Ghelin has asked about?"

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Feb 18, 2015 9:55 pm
Ghelin gives a disappointed look to Marin. He then says "Well lads and lass, I think we are going to have to give our legs a workout today. Unless Marin provides us with a reasonable rate to lease these fine steeds, or one of you has a well to do uncle, we should be off."
Feb 19, 2015 1:14 pm
Marin looks over the lot of you with a sympathetic face. "A gold piece per horse per day," he says after a glance back at the mounts. "And that is a third of my normal rate."

He eyes Ewan awaiting an answer.
Feb 19, 2015 5:04 pm
[I think I left GP off the character sheet here, I'll have to check my notes later to see how much Ewan has but I'm pretty sure he could cover 4 GP for horses] Ewan, frustrated over having to haggle over mounts when a man just died and he's trying to do something about it, rifles through his money pouch to pay for the group's horses.
Last edited February 19, 2015 5:05 pm
Feb 19, 2015 10:35 pm
Marin quickly, and with a bit of embarrassment on his face, takes the gold and retrieves the horses. With the mounts you will make it to the waterfall well before dusk.
Feb 19, 2015 11:12 pm
Kicsi looks over to Ewan, "Your generosity is very much appreciated, Ewan."

Excellent! This animal will do just fine.

"Gentlemen, I think we are ready to start our journey!"
Feb 20, 2015 5:17 am
Ghelin heaves himself up on to the pony. After righting himself he says:

"Kicsi, I believe you are right, time to be off!"

Then he has the pony start trotting next to Kicsi, headed to the outskirts of town.
Feb 20, 2015 7:08 pm
By mid afternoon you reach the half way point to the waterfall passing Fort Morninglord. Even in the bright sunshine of the day the place looks dark and desolate. History tells of a day when an entire patrol of paladins disappeared overnight and every single stone turned from a reddish brown to jet black. Rumors of a terrifying evil necromancer surfaced and the then ruler of Elturel ordered the fort sealed.

From the path you confirm that not a single entry way or window is open, all sealed shut. The very presence of the fort makes all of you feel uncomfortable.
Feb 21, 2015 9:57 pm
"It's as creepy as the brothers said it would be." Kicsi thinks to herself as she remembers the tales from her monastery. "The quicker we put some distance between us and this place the better!" she says to the others as her eyes scan the old fort.

Rolls

Perception (just in case) - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Feb 22, 2015 3:50 am
"Aye Kicsi, let us proceed as fast as our ponies will carry us! Best not to dally any longer."

Ghelin urges his pony on and shudders as he glances back at the black stoned fort.
Feb 23, 2015 3:39 am
Mac trotted forward with his horse, a few feet behind the rest, and not really paying attention to what they were saying. He wasn't very experienced with riding horses, and was having difficulty keeping up. Still, he pushed himself and his horse to keep going, silently cursing as it stumbled slightly before picking itself back up.
Feb 24, 2015 7:28 pm
You leave the sealed crypt of a fort behind you as the sun begins its descent into the horizon. An hour later a light snow begins to fall around you in the still, windless air. The flakes float gently to the ground and within minutes a blanket of fluffy white flakes covers the path. You spot some deer off to the side who pause to examine you with a curious tilt of the head before running further off into the wood.

By dusk it is upon you. In front of the thick green ferns, now dusted in white, sits a small lake of relatively calm water. After 20 meters or so the waterfall rises up at least the height of 20 men and it spans across at least as many. In the twilight it is hard to notice immediately but after closer inspection the water falling from the top is indeed a bright blood red. The light snow continues to fall and the temperature is dropping quickly and is quite uncomfortable.
Feb 24, 2015 7:38 pm
Ewan rides up to get a closer look at the lake, to see if there's anything washed up along the banks, or any creatures living near it, that might provide some clue as to the nature of the waterfall.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20-2)

(17) - 2 = 15

Feb 24, 2015 10:54 pm
Kicsi brings her mount to a halt as she watches Ewan ride up ahead. Pulling up her hood to shield herself from the cold she carefully looks over the surroundings. Knowing Ghelin is a little better off at seeing in these conditions than she or Mac she asks, "Anything we should know about around here before I go looking for some wood for a fire? I'm freezing!"
Feb 25, 2015 7:40 pm
Ghelin follows Ewan near the edge of the water, particularly paying close attention to any footprints in the snow. He whispers to Ewan, "Quietly now, we dare not disturb anyone or thing that may be out tonight. You head to the left, I'll take the right."

His heritage blessed him with keen eyes in the dark, which has came in handy in more than a few situations. He thinks to himself, Maybe there'll be a nice cozy cave to bunker down for the night.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Feb 26, 2015 12:57 am
Ewan quickly gained an profound appreciation for the cold; along the shoreline he gazed upon all sorts of fish and fowl, birds and rodents, all lying dead. Those creatures with tongues lay with the muscle outstretched from their gaping mouths, a whitish-red foam frozen to their lips. Without the cold, the stench would have been overpowering.

Ghelin could not see anything functioning as a cave but over to the left side of the waterfall was a dense thicket of oak trees that looked to lead into a small clearing five meters by five. It wasn't much, but it would provide a little cover from the winds that were just now picking up as the sun finished dropping below the horizon.
Feb 26, 2015 3:41 am
Ghelin approaches Kicsi, "Over there lass, I see a clearing that may provide us a bit of comfort on this dreadful night. Nothing else catches my eye tonight. Maybe Ewan will have some insight after he is done with his search."

He then starts helping Kicsi find some firewood for the night.
Feb 26, 2015 11:23 pm
Hearing Ghelin mention the clearing, Kicsi breaks into a broad smile. "Excellent!", she exclaims in Dwarvish, as she starts to coax her pony through the thicket of oaks. Breaking into the clearing, Kicsi decides to take a slow ride around the perimeter. "I'm going to take a peek around the clearing and then gather some wood so that we can warm up!"

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Feb 27, 2015 12:39 am
Ewan dabs his fingers in the water, smells it, tries to get some sense of what about it might have caused all these animals to die.

Rolls

Medicine - (1d20-2)

(15) - 2 = 13

Nature - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Feb 27, 2015 2:26 pm
All is eerily still as Kicsi circles the perimeter. The oaks circling the clearing quickly become too dense for a pony to travel through and the fresh snow and dried leaves afoot would make it almost impossible for anything to approach without being heard. As she finishes her scout Ghelin returns with enough wood for a fire and before long a beacon of warmth springs to life melting the layer of snow around the clearing.

Ewan pulls a sour face when smelling the water; acid and blood is his best guess. The liquid gently burns his finger tips You certainly won't be watering your horses from here.
Feb 28, 2015 7:33 pm
Mac looked onto the red water silently. He slipped his hand into his backpack, and from it emerged a glass bottle. Bending down to the water, Mac quickly filled the bottle with the liquid and sealed it, taking care not to touch the water. After filling the bottle, Mac quickly returned to the group - and more importantly the fire. Mac hoped to further analyze the water with the light from the fire and cross reference it with an Academy textbook he brought with him [my Book of Lore].
Last edited February 28, 2015 7:35 pm

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Mar 2, 2015 10:48 pm
From the look of the blood and its consistency, Mac is lead to believe it may be Fey blood.
Mar 3, 2015 12:40 am
Relaxing by a campfire can wait for Ewan. He's going to look around beyond the clearing to see the best way to get up on top of the waterfall.
Mar 3, 2015 4:18 am
Ghelin asks the group "Shall we wait here till morning and the light of day, or venture forth with Ewan. Snow, night, and potential rock climbing does not bode well for me dwarven legs."
Mar 3, 2015 1:53 pm
As Ghelin ventures north he finds that the ridge rises up 40 feet for as far as he can see. Although not completely a sheer face, it would take some serious climbing skills to scale the face to get to the top of the ridge.
Mar 3, 2015 4:58 pm
Ewan is willing to rest for the night if that's what everybody wants, but before he turns in he's going to search the proximate area of the ridge for any sign of concealed caves, or at least the optimal place to start climbing.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20-2)

(8) - 2 = 6

Mar 3, 2015 7:10 pm
The thick clouds overhead are cutting out any light from the moon so your search is in vain. You quickly decide that it will need to wait until morning.
Mar 3, 2015 7:12 pm
Ghelin offers to take first watch of the night. "We cannot be to certain of what lurks around here. I'll take the first watch, Ewan can I count on you for second so I can get a bit of rest in meself?"
Mar 3, 2015 7:52 pm
"Certainly, Ghelin. Wake me as soon as you need."
Mar 3, 2015 7:54 pm
"I'll take my turn as well", Kicsi says through a yawn as she lays her head down and closes her eyes.
Mar 4, 2015 2:34 am
While the others got ready to sleep, their conversations seemed to play in the background for Mac. He sat by the fire, with the bottle in one hand and a quill in the other, rapidly taking notes, and occasionally glancing at the open book in his lap. Back at the Academy, Mac never considered himself a very good student - but now he was utterly engrossed by the red liquid in the bottle. It didn't appear to have any properties inherently magical, but it certainly wasn't water. A realization struck Mac, he flipped open to the index in the back of the textbook. Mac let out a short shriek and almost dropped the bottle as a realization hit him. Quickly regaining composure, Mac looked up at the others, "This isn't water. Its blood, that of a Fey, I think. But I haven't the faintest idea how this stuff could kill Darious or where so much blood could come from." Mac began to put his book and notes away, taking extra care to make sure the bottle of blood was safe. As he set up his tent, Mac continued, "I'm going to cast Detect Magic tomorrow morning to see if there is something I hadn't noticed. Anyway, wake me up when its my turn to take watch, I'm fine with whenever."
Mar 6, 2015 11:28 pm
It's the day of the big competition at the Monastery, the one her and her brothers have been training weeks for. As if the prestige that is associated with winning the competition wasn't enough, it's finally Kicsi's chance to show her brothers that a halfling is more than capable of becoming a well respected monk. Her first opponent, Brother Torus, a human easily twice her size, lines up across from her and assumes his fighting stance. Kicsi gives him her best menacing look before bowing her head for a silent prayer. It's at this time she notices the other brothers pointing and laughing at her! She's totally naked! The day of the big competition and she forgot to put her clothes on!!

Kicsi screams as she is rocked out of her deep slumber. Hoping none of the others have noticed her she rolls over and tries to go back to sleep...
Mar 9, 2015 2:06 am
The wind whistled and howled through the trees as Ghelin wakes Ewan to take the second watch. A full moon is rising in the dead of the night, its bright light shining off the lake. A faint hue of red is noticeable as Ewan gazes at the still water. Nothing stirs aside from their fire, but the red water is unnerving nonetheless.

When Mac's turn for watch arrives the moon becomes obscured by clouds. The wizard puts another log or two on the fire and is only startled by Kicsi letting out a short scream in her sleep. He snaps to attention to look but quickly realizes its nothing more than a nightmare and lets the young monk slip back into sleep.

Mac keeps thinking about the Fey blood in the water and the clues that will hopefully be gleaned when he can cast his spell in the morning. He stares into the waterfall as if in a trance. And then it happens. The water crashing into the lake at the bottom of the fall takes form. The water rises up into a humanoid form giving off an intense red glow. Mac cowers back. The form doesn't move. It just takes shape. The left arm raises up and points to the south. The glow becomes a radiant beacon and suddenly the water takes flight and crashes into the ground at the southern shore of the lake. The form quickly collapses back into the water.
Mar 9, 2015 7:38 pm
Ghelin rustles during his slumber as if something disturbed his sleep, but he turns back over on his side with warhammer tightly resting between his arms.
Mar 9, 2015 9:52 pm
Arjen says:
The wind whistled and howled through the trees as Ghelin wakes Ewan to take the second watch. A full moon is rising in the dead of the night, its bright light shining off the lake. A faint hue of red is noticeable as Ewan gazes at the still water. Nothing stirs aside from their fire, but the red water is unnerving nonetheless.

When Mac's turn for watch arrives the moon becomes obscured by clouds. The wizard puts another log or two on the fire and is only startled by Kicsi letting out a short scream in her sleep. He snaps to attention to look but quickly realizes its nothing more than a nightmare and lets the young monk slip back into sleep.

Mac keeps thinking about the Fey blood in the water and the clues that will hopefully be gleaned when he can cast his spell in the morning. He stares into the waterfall as if in a trance. And then it happens. The water crashing into the lake at the bottom of the fall takes form. The water rises up into a humanoid form giving off an intense red glow. Mac cowers back. The form doesn't move. It just takes shape. The left arm raises up and points to the south. The glow becomes a radiant beacon and suddenly the water takes flight and crashes into the ground at the southern shore of the lake. The form quickly collapses back into the water.
After the form collapsed Mac stared into the waterfall, trying to process what just happened. He quickly snapped back into reality, and cried out for the others, while rooting through is bag to find his textbook. While flipping through the book looking for anything that could shed light on the events, Mac yelled to his companions, "Wake up! Wake up! I saw something in the lake!"

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Mar 9, 2015 10:27 pm
"Mom, just five more..."

Kicsi, startled awake, quickly sits up and sees Mac flipping frantically through a book. "Mac, is it my turn to take guard duty already?" she asks, rubbing her eyes.
Mar 9, 2015 11:25 pm
Ewan's hand is on his glaive before his eyes are open. He rises to a crouch, eyes toward the lake. "What, Mac? What did you see?"
Mar 9, 2015 11:40 pm
Ghelin jumps to his feet and yells "You'll not have me!" as he frantically looks back and forth. A little embarrassed he says to Mac "What is it lad?"
Mar 10, 2015 12:49 am
Without looking up from his book, Mac began to spew out words to his companions, "I was looking out into the waterfall and the water started glowing red and took the shape of a humanoid. The figure pointed to the south side of the lake, started to glow even brighter, and shot into the southern shore of the lake. I'm checking my book and notes to see if I can find any information on - WAIT HOLD ON!" Mac tossed the book to the side and began to root through his belongings for the bottle of blood to see if it had reacted in anyway to this event.
Mar 10, 2015 9:30 pm
Pulling out the vial of blood, Mac and the others find it to now be glowing a bright red. This would be amazing on its own if it wasn't followed by the gradual increase in red glow from the entire lake. Over the course of a few minutes the lake glowed more and more, until it peaked with a brightness that was almost too much to look at. The lake then gave off a mind-deafening cracking sound (much like thunder and lightening) and then went black again, blending into the night.

OOC: Mac is unable to find anything in his textbook that explains the water creature.
Mar 10, 2015 11:36 pm
"Whether it means us ill or not, I think our first order of business should be to head where that figure was pointing and find out what it wants us to see."

[How long until morning light?]
Mar 11, 2015 2:16 am
"Agreed!" Kicsi says as she nods towards Ewan. "Shall we head over at first light?"
Last edited March 11, 2015 3:01 am
Mar 11, 2015 3:02 am
[A few more hours until the sun will rise]
Mar 11, 2015 4:44 am
"That's a mighty large clue on where to head next. Yes, Kicsi I agree. Soon as daylight breaks let's head where it was pointing" Ghelin says.
Mar 11, 2015 12:26 pm
Dawn of the sixth day of Alturiak comes cold and still. A light breeze blows out of the east as the sun creeps over the top of the waterfall. The water is quite red as you see it in the early morning light. As your fire warms you during breakfast you discuss the events that Mac witnessed with the clarity that a night's rest can provide. Despite everything that Mac describes you are no closer to understanding how Darious could have been killed in such a way.

After packing up your equipment and tending to the fire you set off towards the south end of the lake. Sitting before you is a bridge that you judge to be about 40 feet in length rising to a height of 10 feet at the center. [G9 on the map, which I've updated]. It strikes you all odd for a number of reasons. First, it isn't crossing over water at all. The foot of the bridge sits next to the shore of the lake in a mass of thick bushes and runs tangent to the shore. Secondly, you notice that the bridge leads straight into the wall of the cliff. And finally is the fact that it is covered in what you would guess to be thousands of tiny little frogs.
Mar 11, 2015 4:11 pm
Ghelin runs up to see if he notices anything about the frogs. He specifically looks at their color and whether they scurry away as he approaches.

[adding nature in case]

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Nature - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Mar 11, 2015 8:50 pm
"I hope we can get across this without hurting too many of the little guys", Kicsi says as she starts poking about the bushes, looking for anything unusual, while Ghelin inspects the frogs. "Does anyone see any type of entrance up there? Looks like a solid wall to me."

Rolls

Perception while checking bushes. - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Mar 12, 2015 3:35 am
While the others went ahead, Mac hung behind at the edge of the lake nearest the bridge and began to perform his ritual Detect Magic. After he spent 10 minutes casting the ritual, Mac had another 10 minutes to sense for magic, provided he could keep his concentration. Mac's chief priority was the lake and waterfall, after that he planned on checking the bridge itself, frogs, and the cliff side the bridge led to.

(Not sure if I need to roll for something)
Last edited March 12, 2015 3:36 am
Mar 13, 2015 4:29 am
The frogs are as typical as you would expect for a thousand of the creatures sitting on a bridge and all facing the rising sun. As you approach they don't react to you at all. Their green throats quietly expand outward and then back in. As Mac surveyed the scene, essentially everything in the area gave off the tell tale signs of magical influence.

Kicsi waded through the bushes systematically looking for any sort of clue. A few more frogs are present, all sitting quietly looking towards the rising sun. As she pokes one bush she is quickly and violently sent flying back almost 10 feet. The bush turns out to be a frog. A frog the size of a small pony. It leaps forward from its hiding place and stands in what can only be described as a threatening manner. As the rest of the party hears the commotion, three more of the giant frogs jump into view, looking equally menacing.

[Four giant frogs are stationed blocking the foot of the bridge. Two are directly in front of the path of the bridge while one is to the left of it (the one that knocked Kicsi) and one to the right. You don't get the feeling you can negotiate with them! INIT rolls please.]
Mar 13, 2015 11:12 am
Kicsi's training kicks in as she is sent hurtling through the air. The graceful halfling, while not able to land on her feet, does manage to keep herself from being harmed as she hits the ground. Springing to her feet, she draws Kard and sizes up the giant frog. "Time to trim the bushes", she yells before realizing just how badly she needs to work on her battle cries.
Last edited March 13, 2015 12:01 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Mar 13, 2015 4:20 pm
Ewan pivots into a ready stance, cracks his neck and levels his glaive at the nearest frog.

Giant frogs? Well, it wouldn't be the strangest thing I've fought. A hostile's a hostile.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

Mar 13, 2015 5:48 pm
Ghelin scoops up a handful of the tiny frogs. Throws them at their elders and yells "Lunch special coming up, fried frog legs!"

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Mar 13, 2015 8:52 pm
Mac shrieks and fumbles for his wand, feeling a mixture of dread and adrenaline in the face of the first proper fight in his life.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(3) + 2 = 5

Mar 15, 2015 5:26 pm
OOC [You've won INIT. I'll run it in block order:

Round 1

1. Good guys
--
2. Frog 1 - bright green eyes
3. Frog 2 - red eyes
4. Frog 3 - pitch black skin
5. Frog 4 - green skin with white spots.

Frogs 1 - 4 are left to right looking at the bridge, with the green eyes frog being the one who sent Kicsi flying.

Post your combat in any order you'd like.
Mar 15, 2015 7:37 pm
"Let's get him, Kard!"

Kicsi runs towards the green eyed frog and takes a quick backhand slash at the beast's throat as soon as she is in range.

Rolls

Attack Roll [+3 DEX +2 PRO] - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Damage Roll [+3 DEX] (If needed) - (1d6+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Mar 16, 2015 2:11 pm
The frog hops back out of the way before Kicsi's blade can find its mark.
Mar 16, 2015 3:51 pm
Ewan doesn't like the way the red-eyed frog is looking at him, and shuffles in close for a big overhead glaive chop.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Damage - (1d10+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Mar 16, 2015 4:14 pm
Ghelin sees the black giant frog lifts his warhammer over his shoulder with both hands and swings hoping to hear the crushing of bones under his warhammer

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Damage (bludgeoning) - (1d10+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Mar 16, 2015 5:52 pm
Ewan's chop glances off the frog forcing it to let out a loud, painful croak while no sound of crushing bones greets Ghelin's ears as the frog deftly hops itself out of the way.
Mar 16, 2015 8:41 pm
Mac quickly shakes off the initial shock, and from the back of the group lifts his wand towards the white-spotted frog. With the flick of his wrist, a bolt of fire forms at the tip of the wand and jumps out at the frog.

Rolls

Fire Bolt Attack [2 Prof and 3 Int] - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

Fire Bolt Damage - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Mar 17, 2015 12:04 pm
The smell of brunt frog flesh fills the morning air as the fire bolt rips into the white-spotted frog. It lets out a croak and looks as angered as a frog can. It lunges back at Mac and plants a bite firmly on the wizard's shoulder. With a chomping sound of its own, the black frog jumps at Ghelin only to be pushed aside right into the path of the red-eyed frog who was a mere second away from knocking poor Kicsi to the ground a second time. Ewan was not as fortunate. As he prepared to defend against the free-eyed frog the sound of the collision to his left took his attention away just long enough for the creature to clamp down with its slobbering mouth.

OOC: 4 hp damage to Mac and 5 hp damage to Ewan.

Round 2

1. Good guys
2. Frog 1
3. Frog 2
4. Frog 3
5. Frog 4
Mar 17, 2015 6:59 pm
Ghelin yells "Enough of this!" as he swings his warhammer for a second time against the black croaking monstrosity.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(16) + 4 = 20

(10) + 2 = 12

Mar 17, 2015 7:04 pm
Ewan grins ruefully at the pain of the bite. If that had been anything more dangerous than an overgrown frog, you'd be dead right now. Have you really let your combat training go to seed in just a few months of downtime?

Shaking it off, he sidesteps away from the frog that bit him and attempts to finish off the red-eyed frog with another swing of his glaive.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Damage - (1d10+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Mar 17, 2015 9:26 pm
"Quick bugger, aren't you", Kicsi mumbles as she lunges forward with Kard attempting to stab the green-eyed frog right between the eyes, following up with side kick to its ugly face.

EDIT: Forgot I can add an unarmed strike as a bonus action when using Monk Weapons. I've added rolls for those as well.
Last edited March 18, 2015 12:46 am

Rolls

Attack Roll [+5] - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Piercing Damage Roll [+3] - (1d6+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Bonus Action Unarmed Strike [+3] - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Unarmed Strike Damage [+3] - (1d4+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Mar 18, 2015 12:15 am
As the Frog's bite connects, Mac yelps and flinches backwards. In a panic, he raises his wand and a sheet of fire flies out, aimed towards the frog Mac was engaging. The fire then extends further out, towards Ewan and Kicsi, but weaves through the pair and instead connects with the frogs they're engaged with.

[I'm going to cast Burning Hands, angling myself so I'll hit my frog, Ewan, Kicsi, and the frogs they're fighting. Then, I'm going to use my the Evocation School bonus Scuplt Spells so Ewan and Kicsi take no damage from the attack. The frogs need to make a dexterity save against my spell save of 13, if they fail they take half damage.]

Rolls

Mac's Frog - (3d6)

(512) = 8

Kicsi's Frog - (3d6)

(416) = 11

Ewan's Frog - (3d6)

(364) = 13

Mar 18, 2015 11:15 am
The black frog staggers back after the warhammer connects with its midsection. A blackish-blue blood begins to ooze from its side but it remains on its feet, just barely. The glaive pounds into the red eyed frog again but the creature seems as resolute as ever.

Kicsi whirls around in an impressive feat of balance and dexterity which is mostly wasted on the frog who simply hops forward when she is launched up in the air. The red eyed frogs jump comes at just the right time as Mac's flames spread out and strike the white spotted and green eyed frog squarely in their midsections.

Instinctively, the green eyed frog lashes back at Ewan but he is able to dodge the biting attack with ease. Red eyes hops at Kicsi, but lands short as she pivots defensively at the last moment. Still smoking from the fire damage, the black frog lunges in at Ghelin and bites at his leg while the spotted frog manages to get another nip in at Mac.

OOC: 3 points of damage to Ghelin and 2 points to Mac
Mar 18, 2015 4:37 pm
Ghelin shakes off the frog from his leg and gives a reactionary kick before swinging his warhammer focusing on the bleeding wound that's oozing blood. "I will have my meal yet!" he shouts.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

(8) + 2 = 10

Mar 18, 2015 5:42 pm
Ewan is sort of impressed with the resilience of these frogs. He plants himself for as much leverage as he can get for one downward-angled glaive thrust at the one he's been after, aiming right between its red eyes, hoping this will be enough to end it...

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Damage - (1d10+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Mar 18, 2015 7:37 pm
As the frog's bite connected once again, tearing chunk of flesh from Mac, the wizard yelled out in pain. Mac wasn't sure how much longer he could take this frog, and he didn't want to risk turning his back on it. Thinking quickly, Mac shook the frog off and raised his wand at not the frog, but the chunk of his flesh in its mouth. If he couldn't beat the frog in a fair fight then he would make it not want to fight him. Back at the Academy Mac had taken a course on the many uses of Prestidigitation, and one of the most basic ones was to flavor food, and although it was a bit of a stretch of the definition it would hopefully work on the wizard's own flesh. With a flick of the wrist, Mac attempted to make his own meat taste rancid, in hopes that the frog wouldn't try to eat something foul.

OOC: I'm not sure what to roll for this
Mar 18, 2015 9:49 pm
"Excellent!" Kicsi mutters, admiring Mac's work on her opponent. "Now to do a little damage myself!"

Kicsi staring directly at the now crispy critter starts to spin in place, "Here's a little something I've been working on my froggy friend!" Building momentum as she spins, she throws out her leg, looking to make contact with the frog's head. Still spinning she slashes out with Kard, just hoping to make contact somewhere on its body

"Starting to get dizzy. Looks like I still need a little bit a work on this."

EDIT: Oh, Critical Kick! Looks like I get to roll and extra d4 for damage, so I'll add that now.
Last edited March 18, 2015 10:07 pm

Rolls

Kick Attack Roll [+3] - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Kick Attack Damage [+3} - (1d4+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Sword Attack Roll [+5] - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Sword Attack Damage [+3] - (1d6+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Critical Hit (extra d4 damage) - (1d4)

(3) = 3

Mar 18, 2015 10:31 pm
The white spotted frog makes what can be only described as a gagging sound as it lurches back from Mac, turning its head down. The glaive thrust does indeed find its mark and the frog croaks one last time before collapsing in a heap in front of Ewan while Kicsi acrobatically pummels the green-eyed frog into submission. It falls over and stays still. The black skinned frog manages yet again to avoid Ghelin's attack. It counters quickly by trying to ram into the dwarf but is easily swatted aside.

"OOC: Froggies 1 and 2 are done. Both 3 & 4 are well bloodied. Due to the rancid flavor in its mouth, any attack against the white spotted frog can be made with advantage.
Mar 18, 2015 10:47 pm
Still recovering a bit from her spin attack Kicsi sheaths Kard and draws one of her darts. In Dwarvish she yells to Ghelin, "INCOMING", and whips the dart through the air hoping it'll strike the black frog in the back.

I'm assuming she's not within melee range of the black frog at this point.
Last edited March 18, 2015 11:01 pm

Rolls

Ranged Attack Roll [+5] - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Dart Damage [+3] - (1d4+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Mar 18, 2015 11:00 pm
"Oh, good. These things know how to die." Ewan steps in for a chop down on the white-spotted frog.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Attack (2nd for advantage) - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Damage - (1d10+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Mar 19, 2015 12:03 pm
The dart glides through the air and buries itself into the frog's rubbery flesh. It lets out a croak of its own and collapses to the ground in front of Ghelin.
Mar 19, 2015 4:37 pm
"Good shot Kicsi!" yells Ghelin "The slippery bugger was a bit to quick for me. Didn't know how to stand still!" Ghelin then begins to chant and a bright flame like radiance descends on the last frog.

[ooc: it needs to make a dex saving throw vs Ghelin's spellcasting save which is 13]

Rolls

Spell Damage - (1d8)

(2) = 2

Mar 19, 2015 10:49 pm
OOC: I'm assuming the advantage on the frog would negate the disadvantage from close-range spell casting

Seizing the opportunity, Mac raises his wand and launches out another fiery bolt aimed at the frog.

Rolls

Fire Bolt Attack [2 Prof and 3 Int] - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Fire Bolt Damage - (1d10)

(9) = 9

Mar 20, 2015 8:31 pm
The last sight the white spotted frog had was flames engulfing it. Ghelin's radiance blinded the poor creature staggering it before Mac's bolt seared through it. A minute of intense action ends with four giant frogs lying upon your feet and the hundreds of normal frogs hopping in all directions as the sun begins to creep above the top of the waterfall.

The bridge sits before you and you are still baffled to find that it ends right into the sheer face of the rock of the waterfall. The water remains as red as ever and the wind is beginning to pick up. You look at the lake and notice the generally calm waters begin to agitate and crest waves. The waves begin flowing towards you and rise in size until a form takes shape in front of you.

http://th02.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2011/303/4/e/the_water_elemental_undine_by_xzeromus-d4ejhcf.jpg
Mar 20, 2015 9:47 pm
"Excellent!"

Kicsi plucks her dart from the dead frog's back and places it into her pouch, "wasn't sure I'd be able to find you... What is that???"

Quickly and as quietly as possible, Kicsi attempts to hide away in the bushes behind Mac. Whispering to him she says, "Just in case a surprise of some sort is needed", and then hunkers down and draws a dart into her hand.

EDIT: Forgot to add the +5 to the roll, should be a 19.
Last edited March 20, 2015 9:55 pm

Rolls

Stealth Check [+5] - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Mar 20, 2015 11:35 pm
Ewan steps back, and tries to keep himself ready to defend himself without taking an obvious threatening posture. Water elemental is his first thought, but there's something...too human, too deliberate, about the form this entity has taken. Taking a few steps back, he tries a "Hello?" on the creature in Common, and tries to remember if he has heard or read about anything like this before.
Last edited March 20, 2015 11:35 pm

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Mar 21, 2015 4:17 pm
Before Mac could catch his breath from the fight, his back was pressed behind a tree next to Kicsi, hiding from the figure. Doing his best to stay quiet, Mac slipped his book out of his bag and began flipping through it, looking for any kind of information on the creature in the lake.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Arcana - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Mar 23, 2015 2:19 am
"Hello." is the reply from the water form, although you soon realize that it didn't speak the words but imparted them directly into your mind. This would normally seem troubling, but the creature seems calm.

"Help us.......the water has been poisoned.......we don't have long...." it conveys. "A small town some days from here is killing us..."

It's form lessens and then splashes down back into the lake. It reforms a moment later. "The bridge will teleport you there," it adds before dropping again and this time not returning.

OOC: You indeed confirm that it is a water elemental. It doesn't seem aggressive to you at all.
Mar 23, 2015 4:03 pm
Ghelin makes sure he is standing on the bridge "This'll be a new experience, teleporting and all. Hopefully we come out the other end in one piece"
Mar 23, 2015 5:14 pm
Ewan considers this for a moment, shrugs, steps onto the bridge.
Mar 23, 2015 9:21 pm
Kicsi slips her dart back into her pouch and slides out of hiding. Approaching the others she asks, "Anyone else feel like this might be a trap? After all, it was these very waters that claimed Darious' life."
Last edited March 26, 2015 1:57 am
Mar 23, 2015 9:32 pm
"Elementals tend to be pretty guileless, in my experience. If she hadn't come up and said anything, we still likely would have set foot on the bridge anyway."
Last edited March 23, 2015 11:18 pm
Mar 24, 2015 1:31 am
Ghelin says "Well, from how I see it, if the water beasty wanted us dead, we'd already be there"
Mar 24, 2015 1:41 am
Kicsi quickly relents, "I suppose you're both correct. Still not sure how I feel about being teleported away on the advice of an elemental but it does appear to be our only real lead." Turning her head towards Mac, who is still hidden behind a tree, she playfully yells, "You can come out now, she's gone."
Mar 24, 2015 3:45 am
Mac, immersed in his book, flinched and dropped the text as Kicsi called out his name. Picking it up, he approached the others and called out to her, "Sorry, I was just looking for information on that thing. As far as I can tell, its definitely an elemental. I have no idea if its telling the truth, though. But unless you guys want to jump in the lake and see what happens then the bridge is the only lead we have right now."

OOC: Is my detect magic ritual still active? It lasts 10 minutes from when I cast it.
Mar 26, 2015 2:12 am
You all take a deep breath and walk towards the wall of stone at the far end of the bridge. Ewan shrugs once again and slowly puts his hand out to touch the black stone. His eyes widen as his hand disappears up to his wrist before reflexively pulling it back out.

"Well I'll be," he mutters, flexing his digits to ensure everything is still in working order.

One by one you step into the stone. Once inside, all is black, cold, and completely silent. Mac tries to speak but the words do not come. You float for what seems hours before emerging on the other side, quite intact.

An identical bridge stands in front of you as you walk back out into the morning air. Behind you, the black stone rises up just as it did on the other side. While some differences in the types of trees and rocks are present, another red waterfall flows down into a lake. As you walk off the bridge you find that you are standing upon a small hill looking down upon a small village in the valley, jagged mountains rising sharply on both sides. You all look at each other and give the shared look of having absolutely no idea where in the Realms you are.
Mar 26, 2015 2:26 am
Pointing to the village Kicsi says, "That would appear to be our destination, yes? But first, do any of you have any idea where we're at?"
Mar 26, 2015 3:14 am
szemely says:
Pointing to the village Kicsi says, "That would appear to be our destination, yes? But first, do any of you have any idea where we're at?"
Pulling his book and bottle of blood from his bag yet again, Mac replies, "Hold on, let me take a look at the cliff and see if I can figure out its magical properties. Can one of you guys go to the lake and compare the water with my bottle of Fey blood to see if they're identical? If need be I can perform the ritual for Detect Magic again, but it looks to me like we might get more answers by travelling to the village. Although there isn't any solid evidence right now, I think its possible that a bolt of fire could have traveled from this cliff sides to the other and killed Darious, whether intentionally or by chance."

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Mar 26, 2015 12:09 pm
The lake samples are indeed identical, both a murky red and with the faint smell of blood.
Mar 26, 2015 3:31 pm
Shuddering from the experience he just had, Ghelin says "Well that's not something I want to do again."

After getting his bearings he continues "So, let's take a closer look at the village. Best we approached it quite like. See what's going on before we make ourselves known. Whomever wishes to be our scout I'll say a prayer to Tymora, may she hide you from the unknown."

[Ghelin will cast blessing of the Trickster on whomever scouts. Advantage on stealth checks for an hour]
Mar 26, 2015 4:03 pm
Ewan (14 Dex) is willing to scout, if the group is okay with that. Anybody else want to come?
Mar 26, 2015 9:44 pm
Kicsi offers to go on ahead and scout with Ewan. "We'll make an excellent team!"
Mar 27, 2015 2:15 am
[OOC: Okay, which one of you will get the blessing from Ewan?]
Mar 27, 2015 2:19 am
"Ghelin, why don't you say your prayer for Ewan. He can lead and I'll keep back a little."
Mar 27, 2015 3:58 pm
Ghelin starts praying to the goddess Tymora. Light radiates from his hands as he touches Ewan on the shoulder. After a few seconds Ewan starts to dim almost.
Mar 27, 2015 4:45 pm
"Much appreciated, Ghelin."

Ewan approaches the village and stealthily as he can with Kicsi trailing. He'll stop, hide, and observe as soon as he sees any signs of life.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Stealth (advantage) - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Mar 27, 2015 5:30 pm
Kicsi will remain ten feet or so behind the larger Ewan, keeping his large body between the village and herself. When he stops she will work herself up to his side.

Rolls

Stealth Check [+5] - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Mar 28, 2015 7:16 pm
The descent down towards the village is quite steep so you proceed with the utmost caution among the loose rocks and silty soil. After 20 meters or so the barren field gives rise to a pine forrest. The trees stretch hundreds of feet into the air and block out most of the bright sunlight. Ewan crouches slightly and sneaks quietly further into the wood, the pleasant smell of pine filling his nose. Kicsi follows close behind, glancing over her shoulder every few seconds to ensure nothing sneaks up behind them.

It wasn't what was behind that should have concerned you however. As Ewan pushed his way through one patch of the thick evergreen branches he froze in his steps. A few paces in front of him crouched a giant 8 legged monstrosity. It's fangs sunk deep into the web covered body of what you gather is a raccoon. As Ewan releases his hands from the branches, the spider's many eyes look in your direction. You hold your breath but the spider does't make a move...yet.
Mar 28, 2015 8:18 pm
With her right hand Kicsi quietly unsheathes Kard and looks over to Ewan. With her left hand she proceeds to make several symbols and points in multiple directions. She then stares at Ewan awaiting confirmation.
Mar 28, 2015 11:07 pm
Ewan tries to comprehend Kicsi's gestures.

EDIT: Ewan shrugs and charges the spider.
Last edited March 28, 2015 11:10 pm

Rolls

Insight - (1d20-2)

(9) - 2 = 7

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

Mar 28, 2015 11:26 pm
"That's not what I meant!" Kicsi thinks as she rushes in after Ewan.
Last edited March 29, 2015 1:35 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Mar 29, 2015 1:43 am
The spider seems startled and moves back slightly giving Ewan and Kicsi the first strike.

OOC: It will take Mac and Ghelin a minute to make their way to the scene, assuming there is any reason for them to think they need to get there!
Mar 29, 2015 2:24 am
Is the spider not aggressive? If it's eating a raccoon, maybe we're too big a prey for it. Does it look like it might run away if I try to scare it?
Mar 29, 2015 2:26 am
OOC: It looks I forgot to mention that the spider is almost 10 feet across from front to end and nearly 5 feet tall. You can try whatever you'd like!
Mar 29, 2015 4:07 pm
"Whoa! He didn't look that big a second ago."

Kicsi reaches up, taps Ewan on the hip, and points back to the bushes. Sheathing Kard she reaches into her pouch to draw a dart while slowly backing into hiding.
Last edited March 29, 2015 4:07 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Mar 30, 2015 3:41 pm
Ack, spiders that big don't get the benefit of the doubt. Ewan nods at Kicsi and charges, trying to drive his glaive into wherever the spider's brain probably is.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Damage - (1d10+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Mar 30, 2015 8:18 pm
Kicsi slips back into the shadows of the branches as Ewan charges in, glaive held high. The spider rises up and with its front legs, parries aside the glaive. A stream of webs comes flying out of the space below the spider's head narrowly missing Ewan as the tiefling crashes to the ground at the feet of the spider.

OOC:

Round 2

1. Good guys
2. Spider
Mar 30, 2015 9:59 pm
Seeing Ewan on the ground Kicsi breaks cover and lets a dart fly. "Ewan, get up!" she yells as she runs out of cover trying to draw the spider's attention, "Come and get me, spidey!!"

EDIT: Critical hit add an extra 1d4 for damage.
Last edited March 30, 2015 10:00 pm

Rolls

Dart Attack [Advantage - Hidden] - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Dart Attack [Advantage - Hidden] - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Damage [Pierce] - (1d4+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Critical Hit Damage - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Mar 31, 2015 1:31 pm
The spider turns towards Kicsi just as the dart embeds itself into its left eye stalks. It shrieks in pain and stumbles back.

[OOC: The critical hit will put the spider at disadvantage next attack! Good roll.]
Mar 31, 2015 5:56 pm
Ewan tries to get up as quickly and nonchalantly as he can and swing for the head.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Damage - (1d10+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Apr 1, 2015 8:00 pm
Ewan rises and swings swiftly for the spider's head but looses his footing and the glaive lands firmly into the truck of a tree. The spider lunges to bite his shoulder as Ewan pivots around putting the tree between himself and the creature. It lets out an annoyed hiss and scampers back.

OOC:

Round 3

1. Good guys
2. Spider
3. Mac and Ghelin would be arriving to the scene now in my opinion.
Apr 1, 2015 10:01 pm
With the spider focusing its attention on Ewan, Kicsi draws Kard and moves in to attack. Spotting what she thinks is an opening she sprints forward and slashes at the spider's right side, following up with a swift kick to one of its legs.

Rolls

Kard Attack Roll - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Kard Damage [Piercing] - (1d6+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Bonus Action Unarmed Strike - (1d20+3)

(13) + 3 = 16

Unarmed Strike Damage [Bludgeoning] - (1d4+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Apr 2, 2015 4:27 pm
Ewan leaves the glaive stuck in the tree for now and draws his short sword. Maybe he'll have better luck getting close and intimate with this thing.

Rolls

Short sword attack - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Damage - (1d6+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Apr 2, 2015 4:29 pm
Ghelin yells "Seems like you two got yourself into some trouble" as he emerges from the bushes. He then casts Guiding bolt at the giant spider. (Anyone's next attack has advantage if this hits)

Rolls

Spell Attack - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Guiding Bolt dmg - (4d6)

(4132) = 10

Apr 6, 2015 1:37 am
The spider's right side splits open and spills a blackish-green ooze onto the ground while her kick breaks one of its legs, dropping it down to the ground just as Ewan's sword cuts through the air where its head just was. Ewan shakes his head as he pulls to the glaive free from the tree. The air then glows as Ghelin's bolt guides right into the thick abdomen of the spider with a flash. More ooze spills out and the creature flops motionless to the forrest floor.
Apr 6, 2015 2:49 am
Kicsi jumps back as Ghelin's spell fatally tears into the spider. "Excellent!"

Nodding to the dwarf she adds, "Good timing, my friend! He was a bit bigger than he looked at first. Glad you were able to help us."

She moves towards the spider's head and starts the gruesome task of retrieving her dart from its injured eye. "Hopefully we didn't cause too much of a commotion. I would still like to take a look at that village before any of its inhabitants get a look at us."
Apr 7, 2015 2:06 am
Finally, Mac approached the group from behind. His face stuck in his book, he hadn't the faintest idea what had just happened, or what was even right in front of him. "Hey guys!" he called out, taking his face from his book for a split second - just long enough to see the spider on the ground. The wizard shrieked and dropped his book on the ground, before quickly picking it up, "I take it that I missed something?"
Apr 7, 2015 2:55 am
"Glad you could join us, Mac. Thought you might have gotten lost back there", she laughs as she wipes spider eye-goo from her recently retrieved dart. "I'm going to take a quick search around here, see if the spidey has any friends around."

Kicsi will take an action to search the immediate area, looking for signs of other spiders or any loot that may be around from victims.

Rolls

Search (Perception) - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Apr 8, 2015 1:58 am
As Kicsi rummages through the area she stumbles across a few daggers half buried in the ground. One is actually in pretty good shape and might be worth something. A few meters from the dead spider she finds a tree covered in cobwebs. Cocooned in the middle appears to be something large enough to be human but it is so completely wound it is hard to tell. At the foot of the tree is a small leather pouch, filled with silver nuggets.
Apr 8, 2015 2:17 am
Kicsi will pick up the pouch with the silver nuggets, "This may come in handy at some point", and shoves it in her pack.

Looking at the neatly wrapped victim she ask the others, "Hey guys, anyone want to take a look at what the spidey might have been eating?"
Apr 8, 2015 2:27 pm
Ghelin says "Well let's see if the spidey's snack is still wiggling." He then goes up and pokes the cocooned victim with his hammer.
Apr 8, 2015 5:43 pm
"Dead or alive, I think we'd better see what's in there."
Apr 9, 2015 12:57 am
Ghelin's nudge sends the victim swaying lightly in the morning breeze. Kicsi approaches a gently pushes Ghelin aside and a with a few quick slices the cocoon falls to the ground with a light thud.

A few more cuts and the spider webs are cleared away to reveal the body of a small boy, not more than eight or nine summers old. The poor child is covered in blistered sores and his skin hangs loosely about his frame. You're not sure if it was the sickness or the spider that has him so dehydrated.
Apr 9, 2015 3:23 am
Seeing the boy, Mac quickly bent down to check if he was conscious, or even still alive.
Apr 9, 2015 8:39 pm
Sadly, the boy is quite dead.
Apr 10, 2015 12:10 am
Kicsi bows her head and says a little prayer for the boy.

"I wonder if someone in the village is looking for this little guy?" she says softly to the others.
Apr 10, 2015 1:06 am
As the early morning sun climbs higher you see signs of life around the village. Farmers make their way into the fields to finish the fall harvest, small children are seen playing in the square, and others move about their day to day lives. But something seems a bit off as you watch them. They all seem to moving at a slower than usual pace.
Apr 10, 2015 6:35 pm
Ghelin says a short prayer for the soul of the boy. "... may he find peace in the afterlife."
He then decides to pick up the body "Let us give closure for his family. A burial so they can say their goodbyes." Ghelin starts to march towards the village carrying the boy.
Apr 10, 2015 6:38 pm
"I have a bad feeling about this," Ewan says. He walks alongside Ghelin, holding his glaive, eyes on the villagers.
Apr 10, 2015 7:27 pm
Kicsi trails behind both Ghelin and Ewan trying to remain hidden as best as possible just in case...
Apr 11, 2015 1:42 pm
You descend the hill at a slow but deliberate pace, the morning breeze giving you a slight chill. As you near a field of corn a young man working the ground looks up and sees Ghelin carrying the boy. He rushes over, "Don't touch him! The plague!"
Apr 13, 2015 2:14 am
Kicsi runs up from behind Ghelin and Ewan and approaches the young man. Spitting out questions faster than anyone could possibly answer them she ask, "The plague? Are you sure? How long has this been going on? How many are sick? How can we help?"

She quickly turns to Ghelin and in Dwarvish says, "You may want to lay the boy down so we can inspect the poor little fella and see if what this man is saying is true."
Apr 14, 2015 3:47 pm
The man steps back from the boy and covers his mouth with his shirt. "Yes, the blisters. That is the tell-tale sign of the Burning Plague," he says giving all of you a worried look. "Do you have a fever?! If you do, you'll most likely be contagious," he continues on taking a step back from all of you yet again.

You glance down at the boy and examine the blisters on his body. The skin underneath and in between the blemishes is almost a crimson red.

"It started four months ago. Our miners began returning complaining of the blisters and a thirst that could barely be quenched." He points to the mountain range just behind him to the south. "Then our live stock and crops began to die. Our elders claim it is the well water but no one is sure. We're still waiting for the last of the miners to return from the mines but it has been almost a ten day now."
Apr 14, 2015 4:03 pm
[Does the man seem to be moving/talking at a slower than usual pace, like the villagers we observed? Also, how far off do those mountains look?]

"Poisoned waters," Ewan mutters. "Not the first time today that's come up. Listen, fellow, what else can you tell us about those mines? What are you digging out of those mountains, anyway?"
Apr 14, 2015 6:12 pm
"Silver," he replies. "We came across it about a year ago. We were poor people before but the silver there is providing all of us with a better life."

[His actions are normal. He doesn't appear sick. The foot of the mountains look to be a few hours march away.
Apr 14, 2015 6:45 pm
"Is there anyone in the village who's been to the mines recently and would be well enough to talk with us?"
Apr 14, 2015 7:17 pm
Ghelin sets the boy down in dismay. "Can we at least provide him a proper burial before investigating this further."
Apr 14, 2015 9:55 pm
Kicsi nods at Ghelin and says "An excellent suggestion, my friend". She then searches through her pack for something that can be used to help dig a proper grave. "Shall we get started?"
Apr 14, 2015 9:58 pm
Ewan raises an eyebrow. "Where I come from a good pyre is the customary way to send off someone who has died of a mysterious plague."
Apr 14, 2015 10:06 pm
As Kicsi starts to wander off to find a proper place to start digging she hears Ewan suggest a pyre and stops in her tracks. "Hadn't thought of that."

She turns to face to the others, "Perhaps we should ask which method the people in the village would prefer. The little one is one of theirs after all. Of course if their method involves leaving the dead out for the spiders we'll do whatever we feel is proper."
Apr 14, 2015 10:16 pm
"Agreed." Ghelin walks towards the young man "You, firstly what is your name? And where may we find the parents of this young boy."
Apr 16, 2015 4:25 am
"I'm called Aver," the farmer replies, letting his shirt fall down from his mouth. He seems convinced at some level that you don't carry the plague. "I'm saddened to say that I can't recognize the boy in his state. We indeed have a pyre that the mayor commanded built a few months ago when the number of dead rose too quickly for us to keep up with the digging." He motions behind him to the east. "The cemetery is on the far side of the village. Follow the main road and you will find it. You'll see the smoke soon as the poor souls who died during the night are usually burned the next morning."

Aver turns toward Ewan. "Kandoon was the last miner who made it back alive. I would talk to him. He lives in a room above the armory. Aver then gives you a brief run down of the lay of the town.

[OOC: Assume that you have a basic knowledge of any of the main establishments in town.]
Apr 16, 2015 4:01 pm
"Well, let us put this poor lad to rest. We can then figure out what in the heavens is going on with this town. There won't be much left of them if they're having to burn their dead nightly" Ghelin then proceeds to the cemetery following the directions of Aver.
Apr 16, 2015 9:36 pm
"Ewan, perhaps you and Mac can have a talk with Kandoon while Ghelin and I help put the little one to rest."

Quickly turning, Kicsi rushes to catch up to Ghelin.
Apr 20, 2015 4:06 pm
Ewan is more than happy to head to the armory in search of Kandoon while Kicsi and Ghelin deal with the boy's remains.
Apr 21, 2015 5:30 pm
The cemetery is small plot of land just behind the church. It doesn't seem linked to anyone particular god, bur rather a welcome place to contemplate for all. You see a robed man laying a young woman on the pyre as you approach.

"Another one," he says, crestfallen. "Please, bring the pour soul here." He motions for you to put the body next to the woman's on the pyre. He chants softly to himself and then lights a torch, placing it to the bottom of the pyre after looking up to the sky for a moment.

"I'm Patten," he says after turning back to you. "I knew it would be difficult working in a miner town, but not this difficult." He looks to be in his mid thirties, tall with blonde hair falling to his chin.

--

Ewan walks up to the armory and knocks on the door. After a few moments a tall slender elf answers the door. "May I help you?" the man asks in a almost whispered, yet cordial tone. You explain that you are looking for Kandoon to learn more about the mines and the plague. "You've found him," he says with a smile and invites you in.

Kandoon seems to think the trouble lies in the mining cave itself. With all its riches he, and the other miners, believe it carries a curse. He explains that in his last trip there they had made their way into a deeper reach of the cave and found a band of orcs. Battle broke out, but even some of the orcs had contracted the plague and were dying their in the caves. No one knows much more at this point. Perhaps the orcs killed off the rest of the miners or perhaps the plague got them. No one else seems interested in going back to find out; especially given the disease claiming the lives of those in the village.
Apr 21, 2015 5:30 pm
[OOC- Sorry for the delay in the post everyone! My birthday was on Sunday so it was a full weekend with the family!]
Apr 21, 2015 8:49 pm
Arjen says:
[OOC- Sorry for the delay in the post everyone! My birthday was on Sunday so it was a full weekend with the family!]
OOC: Well, don't let it happen for at least another year :-) (Happy Birthday!)
Apr 22, 2015 12:20 am
OOC: Ha! I won't!
Apr 24, 2015 5:18 pm
Kicsi approaches Patten. Wanting to verify what they were told earlier she asks, "When did all of this start happening? Does anyone have any idea what is going on?"
Apr 25, 2015 3:46 pm
"Strange that a curse in the mines would have long enough reach to afflict your livestock. This band of orcs...how many were there?"
Apr 27, 2015 1:44 am
"It's been a few months now," Patten says, wiping his hand on a piece of rough spun cloth. "The first of our village died at the tail end of summer.

--

"The orcs? At least a few dozen is our estimation. It's hard to tell down in the mines though." he states.
Apr 27, 2015 2:08 am
"The first of your village? Are other villages in the area being cursed with this disease as well?"
Apr 27, 2015 2:50 am
Ghelin rises from kneeling and saying a prayer for the lost souls. "After you answer my mate Kicsi here, tell me have you seen any patterns in who has died."
Apr 27, 2015 4:13 pm
Ewan turns to Mac. "I think we should have a look inside these mines. I have to admit, though...I'm a little concerned about catching this plague."
Apr 27, 2015 5:47 pm
Patten meets Kicsi's eyes directly. "I've heard rumors that other villages in the area are having the same problems but no one is traveling to find out for certain."

"Young, old, healthy, sick; there hasn't been anything in common that we can think of," he adds looking at Ghelin.

---

"I would be careful as well," the miner adds. "But we need to figure something out, and soon."
Apr 30, 2015 12:19 am
Speaking in Dwarvish, "Unless you can think of anything else to ask our friend, perhaps we she meet back up with Ewan and Mac."
May 1, 2015 2:17 am
The cleric bids you both a good day and hopes that you are able to help. Ewan looks at Kicsi strangely when she starts speaking Dwarvish.

As you walk back to the home where the miner lives you overhear a great deal of consternation from the villagers. There is talk of the poisoned water, the fires burning uncontrollably in the fields, the shaking of the ground that occurred in Neverwinter.

"I'd say it's something to do with the crushing wave," one villager says to another as they hoist another pot of river water onto the fires to boil before drinking and cooking with it. And you finally learn where you are: a town at the foot of the Sumber Hills called Red Larch.

http://mikeschley.zenfolio.com/img/s5/v128/p172355464-3.jpg

After talking with a few other miners, you are told that you should speak with Albaeri Mellikho [No. 18 on the map] who runs the stone work shop that handles much of the take from the mines
May 2, 2015 4:10 am
OOC: Where are we on the map now?
May 2, 2015 2:47 pm
OOC: Down near 19 in the south of town.
May 2, 2015 5:00 pm
"Gentlemen, shall we make our way across town and visit this Albaeri fellow?"
May 5, 2015 3:14 pm
"Yes, let us make our way. We must get to the bottom of these events"
May 6, 2015 1:52 am
You walk casually up the Long Road as the day becomes early afternoon. A sign set on two posts in a scarp of weedy lawn out front of a small house reads "Mellikho's Stoneworks." Just behind the house you see a quarry pit with a few men loading the stone onto ox driven carts. Further off in the distance you see the entrance to what must be the mines themselves.

"Stan!" a pot bellied woman of perhaps forty yells at one of the quarry men. "I want that last load ready to move by sundown!" She laughs at the man who returns her command with a smile and a bow of his head. She turns towards the four of you and eyes you up and down. "Something I can help you with?" she asks.
May 6, 2015 4:14 pm
"Greetings, woman. We're looking for Albaeri Mellikho. We have some questions about the plague that's been afflicting the miners."
May 7, 2015 3:52 am
The woman's smile fades at hearing Ewan's gruff greeting. "I'm Albaeri," she says sternly. "And I would appreciate a tad more respectful tone sir!" she says to Ewan. Her face is hard but then softens into a smile for a brief moment when she makes eye contact with the others. The mention of the plague fades the smile from her face once again. "Yes, the plague has been trying to all of us hear in Red Larch. We lost one of our own just last week. Gerona was his name. Came back from the mines tired and slept for a day. The next morning his skin started turning red and before sundown the blisters formed and he died in agony." She bows her head in the silence for a moment before continuing on. "And now I've got my workers being scared at night by some men dressed in robes and wearing some sort of stone masks. Childish prank I'm sure, but its the last thing we need around here."
May 7, 2015 12:01 pm
Kicsi moves forward, "We're sorry to hear about Gerona, this plague is certainly an awful thing." Motioning towards Ewan she continues, "My friend here and the rest of us are looking to investigate what is behind all of this. We've spoken to a few of the good people here in town, but this is the first we've heard of robed men. What else can you tell us about them?"
May 7, 2015 7:28 pm
Her eyes dart back and forth at the mention of the men in robes. "I'm telling you, kids playing pranks that's all," she states again. "You want to test your mettle, get me back the treasure I left behind in the Tricklerock cave! Everyone seems afraid to go back there now since the plague started. We had a chest of gems we took from a mine some time ago. Bring it back and I'll share the take with you 50:50."
May 7, 2015 7:35 pm
"Can't say as that sounds like a bad bargain, but are there any known instances of miners contracting the plague after visiting Tricklerock?"
May 7, 2015 7:57 pm
"Can't say I have heard of any, but since the plague started people try not to go much of anywhere. No one knows if its the water causing it if you ask me. All just a bunch of hearsay," she says.
May 11, 2015 3:50 pm
"You say everyone is afraid to go back to the cave, yet you continue to mine? Don't get me wrong, I know the allure of stone and the pure joy being miles beneath the surface. Hard to resist that. But humans are a most superstitious lot, and you're troubles seem to be coming from this mine."
May 12, 2015 2:31 am
"I'm not talking about the mine my friend, I'm talking about a cave south of here," she replies flatly.
May 12, 2015 3:47 pm
Ewan bows his head respectfully. "Madam, I think we'll take you up on that offer to recover your lost gems. Come on, Ghelin. Let's not take up any more of her time."
May 12, 2015 4:07 pm
"We will be on our way. Just one last question. Had Gerona, may his soul rest in peace, been to this cave before his passing?"
May 12, 2015 8:04 pm
"No, he was in the mines from what I remember," she says.
May 13, 2015 2:16 am
"Cave? I hate caves." Kicsi thinks to herself as she squirms at the thought of becoming a halfling spelunker.
Last edited May 13, 2015 2:16 am
May 13, 2015 4:42 pm
Ghelin takes his leave, following Ewan in the direction of the cave. He sighs to his companions, "Let us get these gems for the lady. Maybe she will be more forthcoming with what is happening when the gems fill her pockets."
May 14, 2015 1:23 pm
You head out east along the Larch Path the next morning. The trial winds gently through farms and grassland for around eight miles before becoming gently hills. Shortly after noon the terrain becomes harsher with the fertile farm land giving way to barren rocky outcrops.

A short march later in a ravine, an exposed rock face is split by a vertical crevice about three feet wide and fifteen feet tall. Water trickles from the opening and spills into a nearby bog. In the mud around the crevice are many overlapping boot prints. Some head into the crevice, and some carry out.
May 15, 2015 2:35 am
"Excellent!! It appears that we've found the place."

OOC: Is there any type of cover around (brush, tall grass, etc?)
May 18, 2015 2:13 am
OOC: Being a bog only small plants poke out of the mud to a height of no more than two feet.
May 18, 2015 2:26 am
Turning to the others Kicsi whispers her intentions, "I'm going to sneak a peek inside. If you don't see me return to the entrance in five minutes it means something bad is happening."

With that Kicsi slowly works her way towards the crevice and if things look clear will make her way inside.

Rolls

Stealth (for the approach to the crevice) - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

May 18, 2015 2:43 am
The crevice leads twenty feet into the hillside before opening up into a cavern. Many trickles of water combine into a pleasant sound that echoes through the main room. The walls glisten with moisture and dim light fills the cavern coming from a whole in the ceiling to the outside world one hundred feet up. Stalactites and stalagmites litter the cavern.

As Kicsi admires the beauty of the room her gaze is quickly focuses upward to the origin of a high-pitched screetching sound. Flying straight at the hafling is a horrid bat-like creature. A long needle-like nose protrudes from its ugly head and the two foot mosquito-esque creature is looking to impale Kicsi!

OOC: Roll INIT
May 18, 2015 11:01 pm
Giving up on her attempt to stay hidden Kicsi yells, "GUUUUYYYYSSS!!!" at the top of her lungs as she reaches for Kard.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

May 19, 2015 5:06 pm
Ghelin feeling at home in this dimly lit cave says "Ah the sweet smell of the earth and a battle to spice it up. Today is becoming a much better day"

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(6) = 6

May 19, 2015 5:58 pm
The creature glides down at the halfling letting out yet another high pitched screetch. Kicsi gets Kard up in time and the flying bat-like creature slams into the flat of the blade and bounces to the ground. It is quickly up and flying back towards the ceiling. As she follows the path of the creature towards the ceiling she grimaces to see three more of the "bats" making their way towards her!
May 19, 2015 10:03 pm
As the creatures approach Kicsi picks a target. "A little closer you ugly bird!!"

When her target is within range she slashes with Kard in her right hand and follows up with a swing from her left.

Rolls

Kard attack roll. - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Kard damage roll. - (1d6+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Unarmed strike attack roll. - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Unarmed strike damage roll. - (1d4+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

May 19, 2015 11:20 pm
Ghelin sees the creatures flying towards Kicsi, he sees the one Kicsi has picked out and runs to her side. Hefting his warhammer he swings the heavy weapon with both hands

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

(6) + 2 = 8

May 20, 2015 2:44 am
Kard swings through the air with a whistle but misses. Her left hand found its mark however. Kicsi's fist smashed into the bat's skull with the snapping sound of bone breaking. It feel to the ground with a thud and was then pulverized into a pulpy mess as Ghelin's warhammer finished it off. The other three in the air let out shrieks of their own and descended upon the companions...
May 20, 2015 3:44 pm
Ewan rushes in as soon as he hears Kicsi's yell, short sword drawn for what he expects to be close-quarters combat.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(16) + 2 = 18

May 26, 2015 5:16 pm
The second creature swoops down and clamps onto Kicsi's left arm. She feels its teeth dig into her flesh and the strange and horrific sensation of her blood being sucked out.

OOC: 3 damage and the stirge is attached the remainder of this round. Disadvantage on movement.
May 26, 2015 9:21 pm
"Owie, owie, owie!!!"

OOC: 3 HP removed.
Jun 2, 2015 10:54 pm
[Sorry, missed some post notifications!]

Ewan would like to try to swat off the stirge attached to Kicsi's arm.

[If there's any roll modifiers/disadvantage associated with that, let me know and I'll reroll]
Last edited June 2, 2015 10:54 pm

Rolls

Attack (short sword) - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Damage - (1d6+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Jun 3, 2015 7:00 pm
Ewan's blade slices the lower half of the bat-like creature on Kicsi's arm and makes a sickening spat sound as it hits the ground. Kicsi, flailing wildly, manages to pull the head of the creature off her arm.

Mac turns to face the third creature, places his thumbs together and outstretches his fingers sending an intense beam of red hot energy into its face. It's last sounds are a horrid screeching sound.

The remaining creature, seemingly aware of its fallen brethren, lunges at Mac and attaches itself about the neck. The wizard cries out in pain.
Jun 4, 2015 1:41 am
Kicsi's eyes widen as she sees Ewan's sword swing towards her and rips the the creature in two. "Get this thing off of me!" she screams as she finally manages to detach the rest of the creature. Regaining what little composure she had left she hears Mac let out a yelp and turns to see one of the creatures on his neck.

Sheating Kard as she runs towards Mac she throws two quick punches in an attempt to dislodge Mac's attacker.

Rolls

Unarmed Strike One - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Unarmed Strike One Damage - (1d4+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Unarmed Strike Two - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Unarmed Strike Two Damage - (1d4+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Jun 4, 2015 8:14 pm
The first punch misses its mark as Mac turns chaotically at the last second while the second punch smashes into the back of the creatures head. There is a sharp cracking sound followed by the slumping of the creature on Mac's skin, teeth still dug in.
Jun 11, 2015 12:39 am
Kicsi, realizing that she still has parts of dead creature hanging to her arm, gently removes them and takes a look around the cavern.

"I wonder if this is where we're supposed to find those gems?" she asks to whoever might be listening.
Jun 11, 2015 4:59 pm
Ewan will search the chamber for exits or interesting things hidden among the stalagmites.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jun 11, 2015 7:23 pm
Looking around the cave, Ewan finds nothing save dirt, rocks, and bat guano. Not a single gem can be found and there don't seem to be any other passage ways to explore. He gets the impression that this truly is just an ordinary cave with nothing special about it at all. After searching herself, Kicsi comes to the same conclusion. Mac shakes his head in the corner. "I think we may have been duped," he states bluntly.
Jun 18, 2015 2:04 am
"Do you guys think there may be some more caves around here?"
Jun 18, 2015 3:51 am
Mac shakes his head. "I doubt it," the wizard replied. I had wanted to say something before we left Red Larch but didn't. I didn't trust that lady. My suspicions have been confirmed." He kicked a pebble with his boot and looked around the cave in vain once more hoping that maybe something would grab his attention that he had missed the first dozen times.
Jun 18, 2015 4:08 pm
"So what was the point of that? To waste our time? I can't imagine she would think those stirges would be enough of an ambush to get rid of us permanently."
Jun 19, 2015 1:36 am
Mac stroked his chin and thought awhile before answering. "She was acting strange if you ask me. Maybe she was trying to derail us for a short time." The wizard shrugged his shoulders and looked over at Ghelin for another opinion.
Jun 23, 2015 12:24 am
"Perhaps we should go back and question her?" the wizard added.
Jun 23, 2015 12:45 am
"Excellent idea, Mac!" Kicsi exclaims. "I think she has a bit of explaining to do."
Jun 23, 2015 3:50 pm
"Fine by me," Ewan says. He picks up a dead stirge. One never knows when a prop might carry some extra rhetorical punch.
Jun 23, 2015 9:05 pm
You travelled back to Red Larch as quickly as you could arriving shortly before sunset. You headed up the Long Road and found Albaeri barking orders at more of her miners and that she doesn't give one rat's tail about their pay but no one is going back into the mines when robed figures in the masks are still around each night.

She huffed a curse under her breath and turned to walk back to her house. She stopped dead in her tracks upon seeing the lot of you with a look of utter surprise on her face.
Jun 24, 2015 3:59 pm
Ewan gives her a dead-eyed smile. "No gems in the cave. Just a lot of these." He holds up the dead stirge. "What's that you were saying about robed figures? Kids playing pranks, right?" He tosses the stirge on the ground. "What's going on here, Albaeri? We'd like some straightforward answers."
Jun 24, 2015 11:27 pm
Kicsi puffs up her chest and crosses her arms in front of her, trying to look as tough as a 3'2" halfling can possibly look.

"Yeah!"
Jun 26, 2015 2:28 am
The Tethyrian woman cowered back as the Tiefling made his point. "Look, I don't want any trouble here," she pleaded hands brought together on her chest. "Since the weather has been acting all funny many people have been coming around and getting in the way of our business." She paced around in front of her door looking towards the quarry. "We are the true Believers here, not like all of you phonies showing up. Larrakh warned us against the like of you." She spun to run into her house but Mac casually put out a foot to trip her and send her crashing into the dirt and grass.

"We're most certainly not done with you yet," the wizard said.
Jun 29, 2015 12:04 am
"Larrakh? Who is this Larrakh?"
Jun 29, 2015 10:32 pm
The woman cowered on the ground as Mac stood above her. "I've said too much already, leave me be," she said curtly. Mac waved his hand over her head while chanting softly. Her safe softened and she finally, after a few minutes of struggle with the wizard, answered the question asked by Kicsi. "Larrakh is the leader of the Earth. He can read the stones. His tomb speaks to us."

Mac's spell finishes and she quickly snaps out of her trance and runs into her house and slams the door.
Jun 30, 2015 3:58 pm
[Are there any other villagers nearby we can quickly shake down for information about Larrakh's tomb?]
Jun 30, 2015 4:19 pm
[Her stonecutters are all out back. They might be worth speaking with.]
Jun 30, 2015 11:04 pm
Looking over at Ewan, Kicsi shrugs her shoulders and says, "Maybe some of those fellas out back know something about this Larrakh character. I'll just take a quick pop back there and ask." Rounding the corner of the building, Kicsi spots a few of the workers and yells out, "Hello, gentlemen! Was wondering if any of you could tell me about Larrakh's tomb?"
Jul 3, 2015 2:26 pm
One of the stonecutters looks up from his work and then down again to set his eyes at Kicsi's levels. "Yes, little master," he says with a wink, brushing the blackened hair from his eyes. He motions the hafling closer. "Look, over there," he motions to a section of the hillside near one of the entryways down into the mines. "I've seen Albaeri approach that after dark with some of the men in robes and then disappear when I get closer."

He looks back over to Albert's house to make sure she hasn't come back out. "The man you speak of I don't know but have hear her and the robed ones talk about. Something foul is going on here." He grabs his tools and turns back towards his work. "Now I must return to my work. Tread carefully friend." He smiles and returns to his cleaving of a piece of rock.
Jul 6, 2015 8:05 pm
"Well, Kicsi? Should we head over there now, or wait til after dark?"
Jul 6, 2015 9:17 pm
"The cover of night would probably be the best time to check this out. Let's wait until then."
Jul 8, 2015 7:48 pm
You all sit back quietly and wait for darkness to descend upon the land.
Jul 8, 2015 9:27 pm
OOC: Is there anything in the immediate vicinity they might visit to waste some time?
Jul 9, 2015 1:22 pm
The town of Red Larch is rather large. I'm unfortunately away from home right now until Friday night (chicago time) and don't have access to my notes. Next door to the stone works is a small home where an elderly man is sitting out in front watching all of you with a grin.
Jul 10, 2015 9:36 pm
Kicsi catches the grinning man out of the corner of her eye and with a friendly wave approaches. "Greetings, Sir! How are you today?"
Last edited July 11, 2015 4:26 pm
Jul 11, 2015 1:28 pm
"I'm well," he replies, the grin still broad across his face. "Wondering about those robbed fellows are you now?" He shifts slightly in his chair while taking a drink from a large brown bottle. "Albaeri is up to something. Never trusted that one. I reckon you make your way down under the ground you'll see what those Earth types are playing around with down there."
Jul 13, 2015 10:04 pm
Kicsi moves in a little closer to the man so as to keep their conversation a little more private. "We're planning on taking a look around the mines once the sun has set." Reaching into her pack she retrieves a pouch of silver nuggets, taps a few of them into her palm, and smiles at her new friend. "Anything else you might be able to tell me before my colleagues and I head off on our little adventure tonight?"
Jul 14, 2015 3:30 am
The man opens his hand to accept the silver nuggets and leans in closer to the halfling. "When I was a boy my father told me of an...interesting discovery in the quarries. He was working one summer's day when the earth gave way in one of the tunnels revealing a network of passages. 'Ancient paths' my father called them. The bodies of miners were found but no clear reason was found as to why they died there. It's still a mystery." He leans in closer still and lowers his voice after taking a look around him to make sure no one else is listening. "The moving stones is the strangest though. My father said they would be found in different positions in the cavern throughout the ten-day. My father was convinced until his death that the moving stones were signs from the gods. They turned to calling themselves Believers and the entombed miners as Delvers watching over the caverns. Only a select few in Red Larch know about this; the present Believers. I don't understand the mystery much myself but am convinced that the strange happenings of late are connected." He leans back in his chair and then rises abruptly. "I wish you luck," he says turning to walk back into the house. "And be careful," he adds with a melancholy smile before going shutting the door.

OOC. This will conclude Chapter 1. Level up to 2 now if you would please before we begin Chapter 2: The Tomb of Moving
Stones!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.