Chapter 1 - The Red Waterfall

load previous
Mar 9, 2015 2:06 am
The wind whistled and howled through the trees as Ghelin wakes Ewan to take the second watch. A full moon is rising in the dead of the night, its bright light shining off the lake. A faint hue of red is noticeable as Ewan gazes at the still water. Nothing stirs aside from their fire, but the red water is unnerving nonetheless.

When Mac's turn for watch arrives the moon becomes obscured by clouds. The wizard puts another log or two on the fire and is only startled by Kicsi letting out a short scream in her sleep. He snaps to attention to look but quickly realizes its nothing more than a nightmare and lets the young monk slip back into sleep.

Mac keeps thinking about the Fey blood in the water and the clues that will hopefully be gleaned when he can cast his spell in the morning. He stares into the waterfall as if in a trance. And then it happens. The water crashing into the lake at the bottom of the fall takes form. The water rises up into a humanoid form giving off an intense red glow. Mac cowers back. The form doesn't move. It just takes shape. The left arm raises up and points to the south. The glow becomes a radiant beacon and suddenly the water takes flight and crashes into the ground at the southern shore of the lake. The form quickly collapses back into the water.
Mar 9, 2015 7:38 pm
Ghelin rustles during his slumber as if something disturbed his sleep, but he turns back over on his side with warhammer tightly resting between his arms.
Mar 9, 2015 9:52 pm
Arjen says:
The wind whistled and howled through the trees as Ghelin wakes Ewan to take the second watch. A full moon is rising in the dead of the night, its bright light shining off the lake. A faint hue of red is noticeable as Ewan gazes at the still water. Nothing stirs aside from their fire, but the red water is unnerving nonetheless.

When Mac's turn for watch arrives the moon becomes obscured by clouds. The wizard puts another log or two on the fire and is only startled by Kicsi letting out a short scream in her sleep. He snaps to attention to look but quickly realizes its nothing more than a nightmare and lets the young monk slip back into sleep.

Mac keeps thinking about the Fey blood in the water and the clues that will hopefully be gleaned when he can cast his spell in the morning. He stares into the waterfall as if in a trance. And then it happens. The water crashing into the lake at the bottom of the fall takes form. The water rises up into a humanoid form giving off an intense red glow. Mac cowers back. The form doesn't move. It just takes shape. The left arm raises up and points to the south. The glow becomes a radiant beacon and suddenly the water takes flight and crashes into the ground at the southern shore of the lake. The form quickly collapses back into the water.
After the form collapsed Mac stared into the waterfall, trying to process what just happened. He quickly snapped back into reality, and cried out for the others, while rooting through is bag to find his textbook. While flipping through the book looking for anything that could shed light on the events, Mac yelled to his companions, "Wake up! Wake up! I saw something in the lake!"

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Mar 9, 2015 10:27 pm
"Mom, just five more..."

Kicsi, startled awake, quickly sits up and sees Mac flipping frantically through a book. "Mac, is it my turn to take guard duty already?" she asks, rubbing her eyes.
Mar 9, 2015 11:25 pm
Ewan's hand is on his glaive before his eyes are open. He rises to a crouch, eyes toward the lake. "What, Mac? What did you see?"
Mar 9, 2015 11:40 pm
Ghelin jumps to his feet and yells "You'll not have me!" as he frantically looks back and forth. A little embarrassed he says to Mac "What is it lad?"
Mar 10, 2015 12:49 am
Without looking up from his book, Mac began to spew out words to his companions, "I was looking out into the waterfall and the water started glowing red and took the shape of a humanoid. The figure pointed to the south side of the lake, started to glow even brighter, and shot into the southern shore of the lake. I'm checking my book and notes to see if I can find any information on - WAIT HOLD ON!" Mac tossed the book to the side and began to root through his belongings for the bottle of blood to see if it had reacted in anyway to this event.
Mar 10, 2015 9:30 pm
Pulling out the vial of blood, Mac and the others find it to now be glowing a bright red. This would be amazing on its own if it wasn't followed by the gradual increase in red glow from the entire lake. Over the course of a few minutes the lake glowed more and more, until it peaked with a brightness that was almost too much to look at. The lake then gave off a mind-deafening cracking sound (much like thunder and lightening) and then went black again, blending into the night.

OOC: Mac is unable to find anything in his textbook that explains the water creature.
Mar 10, 2015 11:36 pm
"Whether it means us ill or not, I think our first order of business should be to head where that figure was pointing and find out what it wants us to see."

[How long until morning light?]
Mar 11, 2015 2:16 am
"Agreed!" Kicsi says as she nods towards Ewan. "Shall we head over at first light?"
Last edited March 11, 2015 3:01 am
Mar 11, 2015 3:02 am
[A few more hours until the sun will rise]
Mar 11, 2015 4:44 am
"That's a mighty large clue on where to head next. Yes, Kicsi I agree. Soon as daylight breaks let's head where it was pointing" Ghelin says.
Mar 11, 2015 12:26 pm
Dawn of the sixth day of Alturiak comes cold and still. A light breeze blows out of the east as the sun creeps over the top of the waterfall. The water is quite red as you see it in the early morning light. As your fire warms you during breakfast you discuss the events that Mac witnessed with the clarity that a night's rest can provide. Despite everything that Mac describes you are no closer to understanding how Darious could have been killed in such a way.

After packing up your equipment and tending to the fire you set off towards the south end of the lake. Sitting before you is a bridge that you judge to be about 40 feet in length rising to a height of 10 feet at the center. [G9 on the map, which I've updated]. It strikes you all odd for a number of reasons. First, it isn't crossing over water at all. The foot of the bridge sits next to the shore of the lake in a mass of thick bushes and runs tangent to the shore. Secondly, you notice that the bridge leads straight into the wall of the cliff. And finally is the fact that it is covered in what you would guess to be thousands of tiny little frogs.
Mar 11, 2015 4:11 pm
Ghelin runs up to see if he notices anything about the frogs. He specifically looks at their color and whether they scurry away as he approaches.

[adding nature in case]

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Nature - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Mar 11, 2015 8:50 pm
"I hope we can get across this without hurting too many of the little guys", Kicsi says as she starts poking about the bushes, looking for anything unusual, while Ghelin inspects the frogs. "Does anyone see any type of entrance up there? Looks like a solid wall to me."

Rolls

Perception while checking bushes. - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Mar 12, 2015 3:35 am
While the others went ahead, Mac hung behind at the edge of the lake nearest the bridge and began to perform his ritual Detect Magic. After he spent 10 minutes casting the ritual, Mac had another 10 minutes to sense for magic, provided he could keep his concentration. Mac's chief priority was the lake and waterfall, after that he planned on checking the bridge itself, frogs, and the cliff side the bridge led to.

(Not sure if I need to roll for something)
Last edited March 12, 2015 3:36 am
Mar 13, 2015 4:29 am
The frogs are as typical as you would expect for a thousand of the creatures sitting on a bridge and all facing the rising sun. As you approach they don't react to you at all. Their green throats quietly expand outward and then back in. As Mac surveyed the scene, essentially everything in the area gave off the tell tale signs of magical influence.

Kicsi waded through the bushes systematically looking for any sort of clue. A few more frogs are present, all sitting quietly looking towards the rising sun. As she pokes one bush she is quickly and violently sent flying back almost 10 feet. The bush turns out to be a frog. A frog the size of a small pony. It leaps forward from its hiding place and stands in what can only be described as a threatening manner. As the rest of the party hears the commotion, three more of the giant frogs jump into view, looking equally menacing.

[Four giant frogs are stationed blocking the foot of the bridge. Two are directly in front of the path of the bridge while one is to the left of it (the one that knocked Kicsi) and one to the right. You don't get the feeling you can negotiate with them! INIT rolls please.]
Mar 13, 2015 11:12 am
Kicsi's training kicks in as she is sent hurtling through the air. The graceful halfling, while not able to land on her feet, does manage to keep herself from being harmed as she hits the ground. Springing to her feet, she draws Kard and sizes up the giant frog. "Time to trim the bushes", she yells before realizing just how badly she needs to work on her battle cries.
Last edited March 13, 2015 12:01 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Mar 13, 2015 4:20 pm
Ewan pivots into a ready stance, cracks his neck and levels his glaive at the nearest frog.

Giant frogs? Well, it wouldn't be the strangest thing I've fought. A hostile's a hostile.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

Mar 13, 2015 5:48 pm
Ghelin scoops up a handful of the tiny frogs. Throws them at their elders and yells "Lunch special coming up, fried frog legs!"

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(17) = 17

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.