Chapter 1 - The Red Waterfall

load previous
Feb 24, 2015 7:38 pm
Ewan rides up to get a closer look at the lake, to see if there's anything washed up along the banks, or any creatures living near it, that might provide some clue as to the nature of the waterfall.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20-2)

(17) - 2 = 15

Feb 24, 2015 10:54 pm
Kicsi brings her mount to a halt as she watches Ewan ride up ahead. Pulling up her hood to shield herself from the cold she carefully looks over the surroundings. Knowing Ghelin is a little better off at seeing in these conditions than she or Mac she asks, "Anything we should know about around here before I go looking for some wood for a fire? I'm freezing!"
Feb 25, 2015 7:40 pm
Ghelin follows Ewan near the edge of the water, particularly paying close attention to any footprints in the snow. He whispers to Ewan, "Quietly now, we dare not disturb anyone or thing that may be out tonight. You head to the left, I'll take the right."

His heritage blessed him with keen eyes in the dark, which has came in handy in more than a few situations. He thinks to himself, Maybe there'll be a nice cozy cave to bunker down for the night.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Feb 26, 2015 12:57 am
Ewan quickly gained an profound appreciation for the cold; along the shoreline he gazed upon all sorts of fish and fowl, birds and rodents, all lying dead. Those creatures with tongues lay with the muscle outstretched from their gaping mouths, a whitish-red foam frozen to their lips. Without the cold, the stench would have been overpowering.

Ghelin could not see anything functioning as a cave but over to the left side of the waterfall was a dense thicket of oak trees that looked to lead into a small clearing five meters by five. It wasn't much, but it would provide a little cover from the winds that were just now picking up as the sun finished dropping below the horizon.
Feb 26, 2015 3:41 am
Ghelin approaches Kicsi, "Over there lass, I see a clearing that may provide us a bit of comfort on this dreadful night. Nothing else catches my eye tonight. Maybe Ewan will have some insight after he is done with his search."

He then starts helping Kicsi find some firewood for the night.
Feb 26, 2015 11:23 pm
Hearing Ghelin mention the clearing, Kicsi breaks into a broad smile. "Excellent!", she exclaims in Dwarvish, as she starts to coax her pony through the thicket of oaks. Breaking into the clearing, Kicsi decides to take a slow ride around the perimeter. "I'm going to take a peek around the clearing and then gather some wood so that we can warm up!"

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(10) + 2 = 12

Feb 27, 2015 12:39 am
Ewan dabs his fingers in the water, smells it, tries to get some sense of what about it might have caused all these animals to die.

Rolls

Medicine - (1d20-2)

(15) - 2 = 13

Nature - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Feb 27, 2015 2:26 pm
All is eerily still as Kicsi circles the perimeter. The oaks circling the clearing quickly become too dense for a pony to travel through and the fresh snow and dried leaves afoot would make it almost impossible for anything to approach without being heard. As she finishes her scout Ghelin returns with enough wood for a fire and before long a beacon of warmth springs to life melting the layer of snow around the clearing.

Ewan pulls a sour face when smelling the water; acid and blood is his best guess. The liquid gently burns his finger tips You certainly won't be watering your horses from here.
Feb 28, 2015 7:33 pm
Mac looked onto the red water silently. He slipped his hand into his backpack, and from it emerged a glass bottle. Bending down to the water, Mac quickly filled the bottle with the liquid and sealed it, taking care not to touch the water. After filling the bottle, Mac quickly returned to the group - and more importantly the fire. Mac hoped to further analyze the water with the light from the fire and cross reference it with an Academy textbook he brought with him [my Book of Lore].
Last edited February 28, 2015 7:35 pm

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Mar 2, 2015 10:48 pm
From the look of the blood and its consistency, Mac is lead to believe it may be Fey blood.
Mar 3, 2015 12:40 am
Relaxing by a campfire can wait for Ewan. He's going to look around beyond the clearing to see the best way to get up on top of the waterfall.
Mar 3, 2015 4:18 am
Ghelin asks the group "Shall we wait here till morning and the light of day, or venture forth with Ewan. Snow, night, and potential rock climbing does not bode well for me dwarven legs."
Mar 3, 2015 1:53 pm
As Ghelin ventures north he finds that the ridge rises up 40 feet for as far as he can see. Although not completely a sheer face, it would take some serious climbing skills to scale the face to get to the top of the ridge.
Mar 3, 2015 4:58 pm
Ewan is willing to rest for the night if that's what everybody wants, but before he turns in he's going to search the proximate area of the ridge for any sign of concealed caves, or at least the optimal place to start climbing.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20-2)

(8) - 2 = 6

Mar 3, 2015 7:10 pm
The thick clouds overhead are cutting out any light from the moon so your search is in vain. You quickly decide that it will need to wait until morning.
Mar 3, 2015 7:12 pm
Ghelin offers to take first watch of the night. "We cannot be to certain of what lurks around here. I'll take the first watch, Ewan can I count on you for second so I can get a bit of rest in meself?"
Mar 3, 2015 7:52 pm
"Certainly, Ghelin. Wake me as soon as you need."
Mar 3, 2015 7:54 pm
"I'll take my turn as well", Kicsi says through a yawn as she lays her head down and closes her eyes.
Mar 4, 2015 2:34 am
While the others got ready to sleep, their conversations seemed to play in the background for Mac. He sat by the fire, with the bottle in one hand and a quill in the other, rapidly taking notes, and occasionally glancing at the open book in his lap. Back at the Academy, Mac never considered himself a very good student - but now he was utterly engrossed by the red liquid in the bottle. It didn't appear to have any properties inherently magical, but it certainly wasn't water. A realization struck Mac, he flipped open to the index in the back of the textbook. Mac let out a short shriek and almost dropped the bottle as a realization hit him. Quickly regaining composure, Mac looked up at the others, "This isn't water. Its blood, that of a Fey, I think. But I haven't the faintest idea how this stuff could kill Darious or where so much blood could come from." Mac began to put his book and notes away, taking extra care to make sure the bottle of blood was safe. As he set up his tent, Mac continued, "I'm going to cast Detect Magic tomorrow morning to see if there is something I hadn't noticed. Anyway, wake me up when its my turn to take watch, I'm fine with whenever."
Mar 6, 2015 11:28 pm
It's the day of the big competition at the Monastery, the one her and her brothers have been training weeks for. As if the prestige that is associated with winning the competition wasn't enough, it's finally Kicsi's chance to show her brothers that a halfling is more than capable of becoming a well respected monk. Her first opponent, Brother Torus, a human easily twice her size, lines up across from her and assumes his fighting stance. Kicsi gives him her best menacing look before bowing her head for a silent prayer. It's at this time she notices the other brothers pointing and laughing at her! She's totally naked! The day of the big competition and she forgot to put her clothes on!!

Kicsi screams as she is rocked out of her deep slumber. Hoping none of the others have noticed her she rolls over and tries to go back to sleep...
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.