Chapter 1 - The Red Waterfall

load previous
Apr 10, 2015 7:27 pm
Kicsi trails behind both Ghelin and Ewan trying to remain hidden as best as possible just in case...
Apr 11, 2015 1:42 pm
You descend the hill at a slow but deliberate pace, the morning breeze giving you a slight chill. As you near a field of corn a young man working the ground looks up and sees Ghelin carrying the boy. He rushes over, "Don't touch him! The plague!"
Apr 13, 2015 2:14 am
Kicsi runs up from behind Ghelin and Ewan and approaches the young man. Spitting out questions faster than anyone could possibly answer them she ask, "The plague? Are you sure? How long has this been going on? How many are sick? How can we help?"

She quickly turns to Ghelin and in Dwarvish says, "You may want to lay the boy down so we can inspect the poor little fella and see if what this man is saying is true."
Apr 14, 2015 3:47 pm
The man steps back from the boy and covers his mouth with his shirt. "Yes, the blisters. That is the tell-tale sign of the Burning Plague," he says giving all of you a worried look. "Do you have a fever?! If you do, you'll most likely be contagious," he continues on taking a step back from all of you yet again.

You glance down at the boy and examine the blisters on his body. The skin underneath and in between the blemishes is almost a crimson red.

"It started four months ago. Our miners began returning complaining of the blisters and a thirst that could barely be quenched." He points to the mountain range just behind him to the south. "Then our live stock and crops began to die. Our elders claim it is the well water but no one is sure. We're still waiting for the last of the miners to return from the mines but it has been almost a ten day now."
Apr 14, 2015 4:03 pm
[Does the man seem to be moving/talking at a slower than usual pace, like the villagers we observed? Also, how far off do those mountains look?]

"Poisoned waters," Ewan mutters. "Not the first time today that's come up. Listen, fellow, what else can you tell us about those mines? What are you digging out of those mountains, anyway?"
Apr 14, 2015 6:12 pm
"Silver," he replies. "We came across it about a year ago. We were poor people before but the silver there is providing all of us with a better life."

[His actions are normal. He doesn't appear sick. The foot of the mountains look to be a few hours march away.
Apr 14, 2015 6:45 pm
"Is there anyone in the village who's been to the mines recently and would be well enough to talk with us?"
Apr 14, 2015 7:17 pm
Ghelin sets the boy down in dismay. "Can we at least provide him a proper burial before investigating this further."
Apr 14, 2015 9:55 pm
Kicsi nods at Ghelin and says "An excellent suggestion, my friend". She then searches through her pack for something that can be used to help dig a proper grave. "Shall we get started?"
Apr 14, 2015 9:58 pm
Ewan raises an eyebrow. "Where I come from a good pyre is the customary way to send off someone who has died of a mysterious plague."
Apr 14, 2015 10:06 pm
As Kicsi starts to wander off to find a proper place to start digging she hears Ewan suggest a pyre and stops in her tracks. "Hadn't thought of that."

She turns to face to the others, "Perhaps we should ask which method the people in the village would prefer. The little one is one of theirs after all. Of course if their method involves leaving the dead out for the spiders we'll do whatever we feel is proper."
Apr 14, 2015 10:16 pm
"Agreed." Ghelin walks towards the young man "You, firstly what is your name? And where may we find the parents of this young boy."
Apr 16, 2015 4:25 am
"I'm called Aver," the farmer replies, letting his shirt fall down from his mouth. He seems convinced at some level that you don't carry the plague. "I'm saddened to say that I can't recognize the boy in his state. We indeed have a pyre that the mayor commanded built a few months ago when the number of dead rose too quickly for us to keep up with the digging." He motions behind him to the east. "The cemetery is on the far side of the village. Follow the main road and you will find it. You'll see the smoke soon as the poor souls who died during the night are usually burned the next morning."

Aver turns toward Ewan. "Kandoon was the last miner who made it back alive. I would talk to him. He lives in a room above the armory. Aver then gives you a brief run down of the lay of the town.

[OOC: Assume that you have a basic knowledge of any of the main establishments in town.]
Apr 16, 2015 4:01 pm
"Well, let us put this poor lad to rest. We can then figure out what in the heavens is going on with this town. There won't be much left of them if they're having to burn their dead nightly" Ghelin then proceeds to the cemetery following the directions of Aver.
Apr 16, 2015 9:36 pm
"Ewan, perhaps you and Mac can have a talk with Kandoon while Ghelin and I help put the little one to rest."

Quickly turning, Kicsi rushes to catch up to Ghelin.
Apr 20, 2015 4:06 pm
Ewan is more than happy to head to the armory in search of Kandoon while Kicsi and Ghelin deal with the boy's remains.
Apr 21, 2015 5:30 pm
The cemetery is small plot of land just behind the church. It doesn't seem linked to anyone particular god, bur rather a welcome place to contemplate for all. You see a robed man laying a young woman on the pyre as you approach.

"Another one," he says, crestfallen. "Please, bring the pour soul here." He motions for you to put the body next to the woman's on the pyre. He chants softly to himself and then lights a torch, placing it to the bottom of the pyre after looking up to the sky for a moment.

"I'm Patten," he says after turning back to you. "I knew it would be difficult working in a miner town, but not this difficult." He looks to be in his mid thirties, tall with blonde hair falling to his chin.

--

Ewan walks up to the armory and knocks on the door. After a few moments a tall slender elf answers the door. "May I help you?" the man asks in a almost whispered, yet cordial tone. You explain that you are looking for Kandoon to learn more about the mines and the plague. "You've found him," he says with a smile and invites you in.

Kandoon seems to think the trouble lies in the mining cave itself. With all its riches he, and the other miners, believe it carries a curse. He explains that in his last trip there they had made their way into a deeper reach of the cave and found a band of orcs. Battle broke out, but even some of the orcs had contracted the plague and were dying their in the caves. No one knows much more at this point. Perhaps the orcs killed off the rest of the miners or perhaps the plague got them. No one else seems interested in going back to find out; especially given the disease claiming the lives of those in the village.
Apr 21, 2015 5:30 pm
[OOC- Sorry for the delay in the post everyone! My birthday was on Sunday so it was a full weekend with the family!]
Apr 21, 2015 8:49 pm
Arjen says:
[OOC- Sorry for the delay in the post everyone! My birthday was on Sunday so it was a full weekend with the family!]
OOC: Well, don't let it happen for at least another year :-) (Happy Birthday!)
Apr 22, 2015 12:20 am
OOC: Ha! I won't!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.