Character Creation

load previous
Jul 1, 2016 12:56 pm
Really liking the diversity of the group so far. I'll get started on mine right away.
Jul 1, 2016 4:38 pm
I attempted to submit my character today, but ever since the character sheets changed, it now says I have no character to submit. Is there perhaps something that the GM needs to update?
Jul 1, 2016 4:56 pm
Just a couple of questions:

For our starting lightsabers, per Jedi lore, should I assume my padawan built it himself? I'd assume this was done sometime during their teens. As such, would it come with a free mod on the Ilum (Jedi standard IIRC) crystal as per lightsaber construction in the F&D GM kit? I'm fine with standard rules from the CRB of course, just want to know which method we're using.

Considering we were raised and trained at the academy, can we assume a mentor bonus of -5 xp cost for basic force powers? In relation to this, I know part of character creation may consist of the group choosing between a holocron, a ship, and a mentor, based on the GM's preference. Obviously it isn't a hard and fast rule that must be adhered to, and, based on the starting nature of the campaign (unfrozen Jedi), I'm curious as to how we are going about this. If we don't get any of the above, that's okay too. And, based on being frozen and waking up, starting "with" a ship would mean it needs to be found after we overcome initial obstacles.
Jul 1, 2016 5:01 pm
I'm starting with a training saber because of being a padawan, and I dont have the light saber skill either. Because we are all misfits I think it depends on your characters back story and GM's decision. I feel after reading the back story this is going to be a bit of a survival/investigation kinda game, we are going to need to find alot of our gear, or build stuff with what we find. I'm really excited about this style of game.
Jul 1, 2016 5:08 pm
justin77 says:
I attempted to submit my character today, but ever since the character sheets changed, it now says I have no character to submit. Is there perhaps something that the GM needs to update?
No, you should be able to create a character sheet even without being in a game! My guess is that it's some kind of site glitch.
Jul 1, 2016 5:59 pm
ArchTDS says:
I'm starting with a training saber because of being a padawan, and I dont have the light saber skill either. Because we are all misfits I think it depends on your characters back story and GM's decision. I feel after reading the back story this is going to be a bit of a survival/investigation kinda game, we are going to need to find alot of our gear, or build stuff with what we find. I'm really excited about this style of game.
I agree with you on a survival/ investigation theme that could naturally evolve into opposing the Empire; these Jedi have woken up to a new world to be sure and need to get their bearings. It makes sense what you start with depends on the character, and surely depends on what they were carrying when they were with frozen. I imagine my padawan was competent and old enough to have constructed a lightsaber, and considered a misfit due to other considerations I have yet to determine. For example, during force Move sessions he tapped into the dark side more often than not, frustrated with the lessons, anger fueling his powers far too frequently for the any master to consider him ready for the trials (just backstory, I have no intention of trying to go dark side). Despite his potential, which, coupled with his compassion for others, was the only reason the Jedi continued to try to train him, he was taking far longer than usual to finish training and was old for a padawan (fueling his frustration further as some of the younger padawans made jokes of this on occasion).
Jul 1, 2016 7:26 pm
Ezeriah says:
Just a couple of questions:

For our starting lightsabers, per Jedi lore, should I assume my padawan built it himself? I'd assume this was done sometime during their teens. As such, would it come with a free mod on the Ilum (Jedi standard IIRC) crystal as per lightsaber construction in the F&D GM kit? I'm fine with standard rules from the CRB of course, just want to know which method we're using.

Considering we were raised and trained at the academy, can we assume a mentor bonus of -5 xp cost for basic force powers? In relation to this, I know part of character creation may consist of the group choosing between a holocron, a ship, and a mentor, based on the GM's preference. Obviously it isn't a hard and fast rule that must be adhered to, and, based on the starting nature of the campaign (unfrozen Jedi), I'm curious as to how we are going about this. If we don't get any of the above, that's okay too. And, based on being frozen and waking up, starting "with" a ship would mean it needs to be found after we overcome initial obstacles.
Yeah, if your character has a lightsaber it's because he built it (unless it's a training blade). We'll stick with the standard CRB rules for now.

I'm happy for you to have a mentor bonus for your Force powers but we will start with only the equipment your characters had on you. Depending on your decisions a ship or holocron may be forthcoming early in the game. No mentor though, you're pretty much on your own.
Jul 1, 2016 7:37 pm
Sounds good and makes sense.
Jul 1, 2016 11:10 pm
Well it looks like Gamersplane changed all the Star Wars EOTE character sheets to a Star Wars FFG character sheet sometime last night and it is definitely not allowing me to submit my character to the game.
Jul 2, 2016 3:10 pm
I'm assuming some of you know about this, but just in case some of you don't here you go.

Oggdude's Character Generator

It's a really great character generator if you haven't tried it out. I've been using it for a couple of years with no problems. It does all the math for you obviously, allows you to select which source books you are using via options, spend credits for gear, and just makes it a lot easier to tinker around with ideas and builds when making a character. If you're playing a human character, just make sure you choose your career prior to choosing your free human species skills (otherwise it will allow you to choose non-career skills for your human species anyway, stacking them with your career skills).
Last edited July 2, 2016 3:21 pm
Jul 2, 2016 7:27 pm
Justin; I have submitted a bug report so Keleth can look at it. He is generally on top of things like this very fast.
Jul 2, 2016 8:13 pm
And that should be it fixed. You should now be able to submit a character sheet of you haven't already done so.
Jul 2, 2016 8:30 pm
Have to wait till I get home from work to finish character creation. I'm trying to think of what stats to increase to be both pretty good at tinkering with things and pretty decent at using the force.
Jul 4, 2016 2:09 am
DrekRok says:
Have to wait till I get home from work to finish character creation. I'm trying to think of what stats to increase to be both pretty good at tinkering with things and pretty decent at using the force.
Intellect for tinkering and repairs (along with Mechanics). What to increase for Force powers depends on what powers you want. For example, since you'll likely want to take a higher Intellect as an Armorer, you could pair that with the Heal/Harm Force power as your Intellect = the number of wounds healed/harmed when using that power. You'd be the ultimate Fixer of both people and machines :)

In fact, now that I think about it, combine that with Soresu Defender lightsaber style later and you can use your Intellect instead of your Brawn for the lightsaber skill. Pretty nice combo all around that gives you a lot from Intellect.

Of course, the most important thing is to make a character you'll enjoy playing; things don't always have to fit together like the example above.

Anyway, I don't have the time right now but I'll be posting my character some time tomorrow.
Jul 4, 2016 2:37 am
Ezeriah says:
DrekRok says:
Intellect for tinkering and repairs (along with Mechanics). What to increase for Force powers depends on what powers you want. For example, since you'll likely want to take a higher Intellect as an Armorer, you could pair that with the Heal/Harm Force power as your Intellect = the number of wounds healed/harmed when using that power. You'd be the ultimate Fixer of both people and machines :)

In fact, now that I think about it, combine that with Soresu Defender lightsaber style later and you can use your Intellect instead of your Brawn for the lightsaber skill. Pretty nice combo all around that gives you a lot from Intellect.

Of course, the most important thing is to make a character you'll enjoy playing; things don't always have to fit together like the example above.

Anyway, I don't have the time right now but I'll be posting my character some time tomorrow.
Thanks for the input, I'm trying to build the character without a book to reference, so I appreciate the help.
Jul 5, 2016 3:19 pm
The team is really coming together! DrekRok, do you need any more help with your character?
Jul 5, 2016 4:53 pm
I could really do with a skill list and xp cost of skills and their associated stats. otherwise I think I've kinda got what I can do semi figured out.
Jul 5, 2016 4:54 pm
Have you tried the free character builder from OggDude? It does all the math for you. It's pretty great.
Jul 5, 2016 4:55 pm
Thats what me and my players use also.
Jul 5, 2016 5:00 pm
Yeah, I'd recommend it too. Here's the link. Also, if you tell me which career you want to go down I think I can get you the details.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.