Part 4: Wave Echo Cave

load previous
Dec 1, 2016 5:02 pm
Kama tries to look down each hallway to see if there are visible clues as to which to take first.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Dec 1, 2016 5:17 pm
The northwest hallway leads down a little to a four-way intersection, paths leading north, south, east, and west. The eastern hall branches off once, to the north, and further east is some sort of room, though you can't see the contents.
Dec 1, 2016 5:22 pm
Since there's a room, Kama points eastward to Xora and heads there, mindful of where he steps.

Rolls

Perception for traps? - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Dec 1, 2016 10:10 pm
Stormsong slides down the rope following Kama and Xora, but only after pulling the boots off of the dead dwarf and tossing them into his pack. There just seems to be something special about them -- these may have some significance to the family, and besides, he promised Gundren any dwarven artifacts.
Dec 1, 2016 10:14 pm
"Here, let me check them boots," Gimblyn says excitedly, looking them over.

Rolls

Gimblyn Arcana - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Dec 1, 2016 10:15 pm
"Yes, I see..." Gimblyn says, inspecting the boots from all sorts of different angles, "What we've got here is Boots of Striding and Springing!"
Dec 1, 2016 10:18 pm
Kama moves down the eastern hallway, keeping an eye out for danger.

Many tunnels intersect at this natural, thirty-foot-high cavern. The walls are carved with simple reliefs showing dwarf and gnome miners hard at work. Below them, nearly two dozen skeletons in rusted scraps of armor are scattered across the cavern floor. Some are dwarf skeletons, while others are orc remains. Half a dozen large brass lanterns stand in niches or on ledges around the cavern, but none are lit.

Kama barely notices a large group of mosquito-like creatures, though much larger, on the ceiling of the cavern.
Dec 1, 2016 11:19 pm
Kama holds up his hand to signal any others following to stop. He whispers to Xora, even as he tries to remember, "Do you know what those are?"

Rolls

Nature - (1d20-1)

(1) - 1 = 0

Dec 1, 2016 11:29 pm
Kama thinks so hard that he almost forgets what mosquitoes are.
Dec 2, 2016 1:50 am
Stormsong keeps the hood on his lantern, giving him dim light enough to follow the group, but when he hears Kama's question, he removes part of the hood and directs the light up to the ceiling.

"Hmmm..."
OOC:
I know Goliaths don't have darkvision, and I'm pretty sure Dragonborn don't either so the light is for both

Rolls

nature - (1d20-1)

(4) - 1 = 3

Dec 2, 2016 2:39 am
I stare up at the ceiling.

Rolls

Nature - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Dec 3, 2016 5:09 pm
Stormsong is also totally clueless as to the nature of the little bug creatures on the ceiling above.

Xora looks at them for a moment and she knows instantly what they are: stirges. Large mosquito-like creatures that suck blood from their victims.
Dec 3, 2016 6:45 pm
Kama leans near Xora. "Are they dangerous?"
Dec 3, 2016 6:49 pm
"As dangerous as blood-sucking creatures can be. Stirges. Never seen them before 'til now but I don't like 'em."
Dec 3, 2016 7:10 pm
"What's the best way to get rid of them? Fire?"
Dec 4, 2016 4:19 am
"Well, I guess we're being paid to clear this place out," Stormsong begins, as he stows his shield and checks to see that his two daggers are ready, "so let's smash some blood suckers!"

He attempts to light a few of the lamps along the wall by pouring in a little oil from one of the flasks.

"Any objections to a little light for battle? I've found that being able to see my opponent greatly improves my chance of hitting it!"
OOC:
His AC drops to 13 without his shield -- he's thinking two attacks are better than one in this battle against the frail little things. Surely they can't be that bad...
Dec 4, 2016 8:54 pm
The moment that Stormsong steps into the room the stirges' wings open up and they come down from the ceiling, wings buzzing noisily.
OOC:
Players go first. The ceiling is thirty feet high, so if you're using a melee weapon, you have to wait for them to close in. There are ten of the little monsters now that they've come down from their perch.
Dec 4, 2016 9:55 pm
Kama steps forward to support Stormsong and give Xora some range. Talon unsheathed, he readies for the nearest stirge to close.
OOC:
Readying action to attack a stirge as soon as it comes into melee, adding rolls in case that happens.

Rolls

Talon vs Stirge, Damage - (1d20+6, 1d10+4)

1d20+6 : (6) + 6 = 12

1d10+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

Dec 5, 2016 6:36 pm
Stormsong looks at the nasty but frail looking creatures and has a thought -- he casts sleep on a point he estimates to be the center of the swarm.

"Splat splat."
OOC:
1st-Level Enchantment
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S, M (a pinch of fine sand, rose petals, or a cricket)
Duration: 1 minute
This spell sends creatures into a magical slumber. Roll 5d8; the total is how many hit points of creatures this spell can affect. Creatures within 20 feet of a point you choose within range are affected in ascending order of their current hit points (ignoring unconscious creatures).
Starting with the creature that has the lowest current hit points, each creature affected by this spell falls unconscious until the spell ends, the sleeper takes damage, or someone uses an action to shake or slap the sleeper awake. Subtract each creatures’ hit points from the total before moving on to the creature with the next lowest hit points. A creature’s hit points must be equal to or less than the remaining total for that creature to be affected.
Undead and creatures immune to being charmed aren’t affected by this spell.

Rolls

Sleep HP - (5d8)

(16111) = 10

Dec 5, 2016 6:53 pm
OOC:
That was a terrible roll...
As Stormsong's spell goes off, five of the stirges fall to the floor, hitting with a nasty sounding splat.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.