Chapter 5: Return to the Surface

load previous
Feb 21, 2017 8:09 pm
The man sputters for a moment as Elfog abruptly walks away. Then, once he's over the shock, he chuckles to himself and turns back to his bowl of soup, which is now quite cold.

Minutes later, just as the sun is cresting over the horizon, Veren walks back in, gaze immediately drawn to your table, and approaches. He bows just as he did yesterday, "Are you all prepared to meet with the Magister?"
Feb 21, 2017 8:23 pm
Hunter rises from her seat. "Yes, I believe so," she says, and looks to the group to gauge their readiness.
Feb 21, 2017 8:26 pm
Nodding to Hunter, Elfog will stand from his seat as well.
Feb 21, 2017 11:03 pm
Mai'ngor also rises and nods.
Feb 23, 2017 6:21 pm
Veren leads the way out of the inn and through the winding streets of the city. You see all manner of people; humans, elves, gnomes and halflings, even a couple of drow scholars at one point. It seems to take forever, and you could probably not find your way back through the winding streets on your own, but you eventually make it to the palace.

The palace is huge and beautiful, pure white and glimmering in the morning light. The guards stop you at the gate, "All outsiders must remove their weapons before they are able to enter."
Feb 23, 2017 6:35 pm
Ma'ngor hesitates, but hands over the sword-hilt that is Sinag.
Feb 23, 2017 6:53 pm
Hunter's eyes take in the city as they travel the new route. Like yesterday, her wandering eyes do not take in the sights as a tourist, but rather determine access points and passageways. She may be older now, but the little urchin inside her still remembers how important it is to know where you're going.

When they reach the palace, Hunter unslings her crossbow and bolts, unsheathes the two daggers from within her robes, and hands all of them over to the guard. She tries to keep her staff, given to her by the kuo-toa.
OOC:
Hunter's City Secrets feature ought to let them find their way back quickly. She was observing the streets yesterday as well.
Feb 23, 2017 11:30 pm
Hardly paying attention to the route being taken as he takes in all of the sights that the city has to offer Elfog is almost disappointed when the group reaches its destination.

Not terribly happy with the idea of giving up his weapons he nonetheless hands Tolvihar and his throwing dagger over to the guards.

"Sorry 'bout the blood" he says, realizing he hasn't cleaned his weapons in some time.
Last edited February 23, 2017 11:31 pm
Feb 23, 2017 11:37 pm
I hand over my weapons easily. It's not like I need them. I can defend myself just fine.
Feb 24, 2017 4:34 pm
With a reluctant sigh, Sarith hands over his weaponry, including the dagger hidden in his boot. Soliin likewise gives up his weapons. Satisfied, the guards admit you, leading you down several hallways before you are taking to a lavish sitting room and told to wait. Servants come into the room, bringing tea, water, or wine at your preference, informing you that they will be in the hallway if you need anything. And here you wait. And wait. And wait.
Feb 24, 2017 4:43 pm
Hunter samples the tea, waiting patiently. She savors one of the few opportunities where there is nothing immediate requiring their attention, happy to have a peaceful moment. "I think, for the first time, I'm quite happy to not look over my shoulder every five feet," she says aloud. "This city undoubtedly has its dangers, but compared to the constant threat of the Underdark even without the abyssal..."

She looks to Sarith and Xeliss. "I have to compliment you two for surviving in such a harsh and unforgiving environment. And with such a positive outlook."
Feb 27, 2017 8:24 pm
It takes a few hours, but you finally see an old man in immaculate purple robes walk in, "I am Magister Danforth," he begins, "You had wanted to speak to me?"
Feb 27, 2017 8:52 pm
"I am Hunter," she says, standing to greet the Magister. "Thank you for your time, m'lord. Myself and my companions," here she indicates the others in the room with and open hand, "have recently arrived from an... involuntary stay in the Underdark. What we have witnessed during our escape may pose a danger to everyone, including those on the surface."
Feb 28, 2017 5:05 am
"Demons. She's talking about demons. Name's Xeliss. I lived down there my whole life and never saw demons like that before. Can't be good. "
Feb 28, 2017 3:45 pm
"Involuntary stay?" he inquires, eyes flicking briefly to Sarith, who shifts uncomfortably, "Tell me, what exactly did you see?"

"Yes, demon sightings are so very rarely a good sign."
Feb 28, 2017 5:11 pm
Hunter holds her hand out, palm up. "We have seen a few of the minor creatures from the Abyss," she begins, conjuring up a small, still image of a vrock that stands on her palm. "It was fortunate for us that they were more interested in our captors, which facilitated our escape. Our friend here was imprisoned with us, and working together we fled from that place." She gives a nod to Sarith, hoping the gesture is enough to signify to Danforth the drow's contributions to the group's survival.

"But while escaping through the Underdark, we happened upon a kuo-toa city when the Prince of Demons appeared." The vrock changes into the form of Demogorgon rising from the lake, the memory of such causing visible shudders through Hunter's body.

"We fled, and found temporary respite with the svirfneblin. There we learned of the appearance of the Lord of Slimes and the Queen of Fungi, though we did not bear witness to their physical forms. We battled against the Faceless Lord's representative in order to help the svirfneblin and came away victorious, but I know not whether that has diminished its influence." Now the image of Demogorgon is replaced by the last visage of the Pudding King, along with his oozes.

Hunter waves away the small images. "We found our way to the surface, and discovered we were near your city. We felt you ought to know."
Feb 28, 2017 6:46 pm
"I see, that is troubling indeed," Danforth says grimly, "I will discuss this with our leaders and see how they want to proceed. I trust that you will stay available for the time it takes me to convene them?"
Feb 28, 2017 6:58 pm
"Yes," nods Hunter, giving a curtsey. "I at the very least will be more than happy to lend whatever assistance I can afford. We are staying at the Silver Flagon... um, so long as our funds manage to last, that is. But, I'm sure if we have to relocate we will make every effort to let you know."
Feb 28, 2017 7:01 pm
"Don't worry, I will contact the owner of the establishment and pay for your stay myself," Danforth offers graciously, "If your story is true, which I do not doubt, then it's the least that you've earned!"
load next

Thread locked