Chapter Five: Bapdis Orjo's Gift of Reconciliation

load previous
Apr 21, 2017 4:10 pm
CancerMan sent a note to BullOctorok

Rolls

Secret Roll

Apr 21, 2017 4:11 pm
"Water creature! We don't wish to kill you! There is no need for this violence! We seek Pafthinel and wish to continue our quest in peace!

Can you still understand the thing, Domarc? What does it want?"

Mordred drops his rapier and holds his hands up, still ready with Hellish Rebuke should his palaver not work.
Last edited April 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Rolls

Persuasion? - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Apr 21, 2017 4:35 pm
"It thought we were a distraction, something to keep it from Pafthinel...I think it may be too late to reach an understanding though."
OOC:
I don't think there's any way for me to cast Hypnotic Pattern without it also affecting the group; my fear would be that the jinn and I are left as the only ones unaffected, which would pretty much be...bad.
Domarc casts Dissonant Whispers as a 2nd level spell.
Quote:
You whisper a discordant melody that only one creature of your choice within range can hear, wracking it with terrible pain.
The target must make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, it takes 3d6 psychic damage and must immediately use its reaction , if available, to move as far as its speed allows away from you. The creature doesn’t move into obviously dangerous ground, such as a fire or a pit. On a successful save, the target takes half as much damage and doesn’t have to move away. A deafened creature automatically succeeds on the save.
At higher level

When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st
Well, that sucked

As a final thing, Domarc will use his reaction to use Cutting Words - to lower her saving throw if possible, if not to lower her attack roll next turn.

"Looks like you're still 'retaining water'"
Last edited April 21, 2017 4:52 pm

Rolls

Dissonant Whispers, 2nd level - (4d6)

(1322) = 8

Cutting words - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Apr 21, 2017 4:55 pm
BullOctorok sent a note to CancerMan
Edit: The jinn flinches at the unnatural melody Domarc whispers to her, but stands her ground. The toll the battle has taken on her is clearly visible; water runs freely from the cuts and punctures the party's weapons have left in her.

She looks at Mordred and speaks, haltingly, in the common tongue of Bload.

"Your friend -- dead. Your other friend -- banished," she says. "Pafthinel is mine. You will not have him. I will. Stand down or die."

Rolls

Jinn WIS saving throw - (1d20+7)

(16) + 7 = 23

Apr 21, 2017 5:05 pm
Apr 21, 2017 5:24 pm
"Excellent, we need no longer harm each other. If you can bring our friend back from wherever you have banished him, I'm sure we can come to an agreement about what happens to Pafthinel. We seek only information from the elf."

What exactly do we need from Paffy? It's been so long I've completely forgotten.
Apr 21, 2017 5:24 pm
"We only want him to answer some questions," Domarc says. "We have no wish to stand in your way of redress for your imprisonment - or whatever else he has done to you. Nor do we wish to harm you. But he has information vital to us."

Edit - dammit, I need to check before posting! Anyways, Pafthinel is the scholar who studied the Iron Sphere supposedly knows what it is and what it does. We need that information from him. My suspicion is, based on the information from the mudbeings and this jinn and the corpse of the xorn, is that Pafthinel has been summoning and binding elementals here, experimenting on them, etc. They don't like it. They want to go home. So...bringing one to meet Pafthinel with us might be problematic.
Last edited April 21, 2017 5:28 pm
Apr 21, 2017 5:30 pm
Yeah, we also might need him to come with us for some reason, so I don't want to explicitly promise the jinn that she can kill him.

Also, aren't we due a wish for freeing a jinn?
Last edited April 21, 2017 5:30 pm
Apr 21, 2017 5:39 pm
I am hoping that redress might just mean being released back to their home planes. And sometimes you gotta let them hear what they think they need to hear. Still, based on what he's been able to put together here, Pafthinel is no slouch in the magic department. So while I much prefer negotiation, negotiation might go better if we have some strength on our side.
Last edited April 21, 2017 5:41 pm
Apr 21, 2017 5:48 pm
OOC:
Did, uh... did my arrows do anything? 😬
Apr 21, 2017 5:49 pm
The jinn lifts her hand slightly, and the water level stops rising.

"My revenge against Pafthinel must be exquisite. I will not spoil it with interrogation. And your friend..." she shrugs. "He is drowned, probably. I cannot bring him back."

lol, I wish you guys could see what Zangua just did

Apr 21, 2017 5:50 pm
thedandyman says:
OOC:
Did, uh... did my arrows do anything? 😬
yes, sorry, those were hits, sorry for not calling them out specifically, but you've been making quite a pincushion out of her every turn, seems like!
Apr 21, 2017 6:21 pm
"How long have you been waiting thus far? Surely a few minutes more will be tolerable to a creature as wise as yourself. I ask plainly that you bring our friend back immediately. Even if it is just his body, so that we might dispose of it honorably."
Apr 21, 2017 6:44 pm
Can we get a sense of who and what's where right now? We were in a tunnel heading south that ended in a doorway, which got magiked open. Beyond was a chamber that ran east to west, with a table at the west end. Is the bottle & bowl still on the table? Are we all in the corridor? etc, etc.
Apr 21, 2017 6:54 pm
Apr 21, 2017 8:07 pm
The jinn walked out of the little area behind the door with the table and the bowl; you've been fighting her in the large chamber with the pool of water.

The jinn answers Mordred: "I can not reach him now. He is gone. So it goes." She starts to scoop up water from the flooded chamber and rub it into her wounds, ignoring the rest of what Mordred said.

Apr 21, 2017 8:23 pm
Apr 21, 2017 10:03 pm
Apr 21, 2017 10:17 pm
load next

Thread locked