Exigency: Arena Simulation

load previous
Apr 13, 2017 10:42 am
Nerves' simulation

The simulated scouts don't show any surprise when their pistols abruptly stop working, but they do fall back to cover, perhaps to see if they can restart their weapons. The answer is: no.

(Much later, when browsing the simulation logs, Nerves finds a massive log of error messages: generated as the program struggled to understand why the pistols it simulated now had the firmware of an Ahmteller Good Morning Toasterâ„¢.)

The axe-wielding Mercs move forward and fling rocks and debris at Nerves' position. They're reasonable shots, although it doesn't seem in-keeping with Mercenary doctrine.

http://i.imgur.com/q5JelwB.png
OOC:
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Nerves' Lockout encounter power - (1d20+16, 1d6+14)

1d20+16 : (1) + 16 = 17

1d6+14 : (4) + 14 = 18

Axe Mercs ranged attack - (1d20+3, 1d4+1)

1d20+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

1d4+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

Apr 13, 2017 12:17 pm
OOC:
Questions!

1) So I disabled the Pistols resource - they can still make ranged attacks though, right? Just with incidentals and not their specialized gear?

2) I see you rolled my original "attack" against the Pistols with my STR value. Because it's a hacking/tech effect wouldn't MND or FOC make more sense?

3) When does the Exploit against my attackers from Underestimated come into effect? If immediately, then my +2 to defending from Opportunist's passive should offset their +2 against me for my Exploit?

4) How does Opportunist's interrupt work? Do I basically get an extra attack that round?

As for my turn, I want to attack the Axe Mercs as many times as possible in Melee using the Assassinate and Opportunist Passive effects
Apr 13, 2017 12:45 pm
Nerves' simulation
The axe Mercs move closer, ready to spring their attack, thinking of the Kerenth as a non-combatant who's used a hacking trick but is now out of ideas.

A fatal mistake. Nerves steps out of cover, swinging a purple-blue hard light blade straight through the nearest chest. Nerves continues the movement, cleaving through another Merc and then abruptly leaning back and reversing the motion into an overarm swing. A severed axehead falls to the ground, followed by a severed arm.

Seeing this, the final axeman throws his own weapon aside and begins running. The simulation will de-spawn him shortly.
OOC:
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Nerves attack 1 - (1d20+8, 1d6+8)

1d20+8 : (12) + 8 = 20

1d6+8 : (4) + 8 = 12

Nerves attack 2 - (1d20+8, 1d6+8)

1d20+8 : (6) + 8 = 14

1d6+8 : (4) + 8 = 12

Critical hit! - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Last axe Merc's morale - (1d20+2)

(7) + 2 = 9

Apr 13, 2017 2:23 pm
A quick flurry of a dozen blows to the half-torso and head should dispatch it. It's not effective but it is good technique. Her instructors used to say that an awful lot, come to think of it ...

As the sim deforms, she selects the heavy gunner. It won't be the first time she's had to outrun machine gun fire. Or, more accurately, construct fire prediction cones on the fly.
OOC:
I'm assuming one attack will KO the mob, and if it misses it should only take one more hit. Nothing fancy, she'll just make a straight full-turn attack.

This time for the gunner, instead of the full-turn Charge she'll make a minor move forward and use the Charge EP. Last round that Debuff was no joke! This is assuming he spawns on the opposite side of a similar sized arena.
Apr 13, 2017 4:35 pm
Kree's simulation

Kree puts the zombie to rest. Mercifully loading a new opponent cleans away the blood and the stench. The buzzing of flies is replaced by the humming of a charging plasma rifle...

Correction: heavy plasma rifle, "Warden" class. The new arrival is a Domarian. For some reason the simulated Legionary is wearing a dress uniform rather than powered armour, presumably so laypersons recognise her as part of the Domarian Legion. Not that they've got the uniform quite right.

(As always, Kree can notice a few slight mistakes: for starters, what self-respecting Legionary wears their 5-year service medal on display? Everyone has one of those. Even technicians in the damn Maintenance Association.)

Kree darts forward and punches the woman, hard. The Legionary's head snaps back but she quickly re-centres herself, steadies her rifle, and shoots Kree point blank.
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Kree's Charge (Edge power) - (1d20+13, 1d8+10)

1d20+13 : (19) + 13 = 32

1d8+10 : (6) + 10 = 16

Critical hit! - (1d8)

(3) = 3

Kree's Buff - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Apr 13, 2017 5:35 pm
OOC:
Hah, ouch. I've been looking at this a bit and I'm sorta dead if I stick around for much longer - she's rolling with a crazy amount of bonuses, and Finisher would exhaust me immediately. So I need to end it early. I'll use the neurachem again and spend Zealot. If I succeed, I can learn what Lethal hits do to bosses.
Eyes watering from the plasma burst sizzling past her face, Kree thanks her lucky stars it's only a dress uniform. Were it said powered armour, this fight might've been over before it began; as it is, there's perhaps an even chance she 'lives'.

Kree tries to remember battle doctrine for asymmetric engagements. Something to do with getting inside their guard, she thinks, and elbows. The Warden's barrel glows evilly toward her as she dives to engage.
Apr 13, 2017 7:10 pm
Kree's simulation

Noting that you'd need a lot of upper-body strength to wield a rifle of that size without power-assistance, Kree directs blow after blow at the gunner's ribs, neck, collarbone... then, when the Legionary is over-focused on defending those spots, Kree grabs one arm and tries to wrench it out of its socket.

Although hurt, the Legionary breaks free from the hold. And that's when she makes her second mistake.
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Gunner's guard - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Apr 14, 2017 8:46 pm
OOC:
I'm thinking Nerves' HALP system generates basically the Omni-Blades and Sentinel Shielding from Mass Effect as standard - other implements as warranted. Purple is a good color for it
[ +- ] Dual Wielding!
This round I want to use my Overload Passive to sacrifice the Drones resource to give myself the Critical Trait next round, which I will use to move into Melee and dice 'em up
Nerves doesn't have much time to gloat over the running Axe Merc as he realizes his enthusiastic entrance into direct combat has left him open to whatever guns the Pistol Mercs still have left. Moving quickly he grabs two devices from his belt - oblong shapes that begin to reform their 'shells' into wings and rotors even as Nerves flings them in a high arc towards the remaining enemies.

The drones never really have time to stabilize their flight before Nerves triggers their self-destruct code that turns them into smoky balls of shrapnel.
Last edited April 14, 2017 8:50 pm
Apr 14, 2017 9:33 pm
Nerves' simulation

Nerves is prepared to deflect and dodge whatever comes next, but the Mercs' shots go wide regardless. What are they even using? Their backup weapons certainly don't seem to be standard issue. This simulation is full of holes.

After their volley the Mercenaries huddle down below the cover, which just means that the detonating recon drones' razor-sharp debris plunges deep into their exposed backs. Nerves hops over the cover, stabbing the two sprawled Mercs in the neck while they're still trying to get back up.

The last one, having noted the example set by his axe-wielding comrade, throws away the tiny backup pistol and runs. He's certainly a better sprinter than he is a marksman.
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Nerves' guard roll - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Mercs' attack (Advantage) - (1d20+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Mercs' attack (Advantage) - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Mercs' ability - (1d6+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Nerves' standard attack - (1d20+3, 1d6+4)

1d20+3 : (16) + 3 = 19

1d6+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

Mercs' morale (+WIL) - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Apr 17, 2017 10:39 pm
The natural instinct when someone is besting you in a melee is to disengage. Kree waits for the moment, and simply hooks her foot round the gunner's, neatly tripping her. She dives after the falling woman, aiming a fist in her throat.
OOC:
I shall do as you recommend, Ed!
Apr 18, 2017 9:18 am
Kree's simulation
Kree strikes the Legionary's neck with all the force she can muster. The gunner lies still. Kree expects some sort of trick: for the rifle to self-destruct, for the Legionary herself to self-destruct, but nothing of the sort happens. She won.
[ +- ] Information

Rolls

Lethal hit - (1d8)

(5) = 5

Skill roll - (1d20+9)

(16) + 9 = 25

Apr 19, 2017 6:46 pm
OOC:
Ed if you could set up an interesting arena for Nerves and Kree to go toe to toe in, that'd be cool.

Maybe throw in some mooks for fun!
Apr 19, 2017 6:50 pm
OOC:
I'd be up to get thrown in the mix too, maybe a simulated group battle or just a free-for-all! We can call my character Dr. Zephyr for now, not sure if that'll stick :)
Last edited April 19, 2017 7:07 pm
Apr 19, 2017 7:58 pm
Nerves/Kree/Dr. Zephyr Deathmatch

http://imgur.com/GbvS4bT.png
OOC:
The thick orange lines are heavy cover (+4 Df, +4 armour rating). Clone 29 is welcome to drop in too, of course. You can fight among yourselves for a bit and/or I can spawn a boss of some sort depending on what everyone decides.

Because this is PvP initiative needs to be rolled for. Roll 1d20+AGI or FOC, no talent allowed! That'll establish the action order. On a 16+, you also have Advantage for your first turn.
Apr 19, 2017 8:55 pm
As the simulation spools up and Dr. Zephyr's pixelated form materializes and smooths out, he is standing straight-backed with his hands clasped behind him; tall and stoic. From behind his back he calmly draws his Personal Modular Mortar; a large handcannon in the style of the old-timey slug-thrower revolvers, except this one has an over-sized rotating cylinder to hold all different kinds of explosive cartridges. He spreads his arms wide, glances between his two compatriots and speaks in a deep, almost resonating voice with his trademark existentialism.

"Right here, right now, in this simulation, we are enemies. Any relationships we enjoy in the Material Plane, be they friend, co-worker, or otherwise, are temporarily suspended in my mind and in my actions. Shall we begin?"
Last edited April 19, 2017 9:01 pm

Rolls

Initiative roll [+FOC] - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Apr 19, 2017 10:55 pm
As the gunner is replaced by her crew mates, Kree double-takes. Who started this battle royale? She browses the sim's logs with one eye, the other flicking between Nerves and Zephyr.

She whistles a frontier tune. One of the ones about standoffs.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Apr 21, 2017 10:06 pm
Nerves crouches in anticipation. Two of them. One of me. Don't like it, not one bit. His tail twitches back and forth as the HALP system comes online, covering his body in a deep glowing purple light.

"Who draws first?" he says, extending the blades down his arms.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Apr 22, 2017 2:45 pm
OOC:
Looks like it's you, speedy!
Apr 22, 2017 5:45 pm
Nerves head fakes moving in Kree's direction before rolling behind the heavy cover nearest Dr. Zephyr. As he moves, Nerves triggers one of his drones, which whirs into action hovering over his shoulder and blasting rapid-fire ion rounds at the Desz medic.
OOC:
So just a F hit only ranged attack against Dr. Z, drone just for flavor not using the inspiration bonus yet
Apr 22, 2017 6:34 pm
http://imgur.com/DJ4brt8.png
OOC:
All right, no Resource for this attack so as you say F-hits only, and as a ranged attack it defaults to AGI|FOC.

So I'll present it as 1d20+FOC, 1d4+AGI, so that's +3 and +1 respectively. In fact Nerves and Dr. Z have the same AGI and FOC attribute scores.

Dr. Zephyr's FOC is 3, so the ability roll doesn't meet it (no bonus hit), but the skill roll beats the Df. Dr. Zephyr takes 1 Fatigue hit, 7/8 HP remaining.

Rolls

Nerves' ranged attack - (1d20+3, 1d4+1)

1d20+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

1d4+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.