Exigency: Arena Simulation

load previous
Apr 24, 2017 12:30 am
As the ion charges pelt Dr. Zephyr he stumbles back a step or two, however it appears to be more from surprise than anything else. He turns his masked face silently towards Nerves and pulls back his lips to reveal an extraordinarily inordinate number of teeth packed into his mouth in a humorless (and terrifying) smile.
OOC:
Initiative just goes in order of rolls, correct? So Kree is up next?
Apr 24, 2017 11:33 pm
As best Kree understands the rules of a standoff, she's now obligated to attack Nerves. It's only fair.
OOC:
Gonna use the charge EP.
Apr 25, 2017 10:57 am
http://i.imgur.com/oSOmc8l.png
OOC:
All right, so Nerves has AGI 1, FOC 3, so the FOC 1 applies here as Kree's natural roll was enough to Aggravate his Resistance (twice the Df, 14+, in fact she very nearly scored a critical). Even taking Nerves' 2 armour rating into account (from his Hard Light Projector) that 15 ability is over ten points higher than his Resistance: so it should be 1 hit base, then 2 hits from the high ability roll...

But this is the first time Nerves has been attacked! His Underestimated aspect triggers, saddling Kree with an Exploit, and then Opportunist kicks in: although the +2 speciality bonus against that attack isn't quite enough to save him from a hit. So Nerves is still down 3: 5/8 HP remaining.

And speaking of Opportunist, Nerves will also get to make an additional free standard attack against Kree in his turn (or, technically, he could've done it as an interrupt) and one of those attacks will deal +1N hit because of Assassinate. But at least Kree generated a decent Buff to defend herself with!

Rolls

Kree's Charge (Edge power) - (1d20+13, 1d8+10)

1d20+13 : (18) + 13 = 31

1d8+10 : (5) + 10 = 15

Kree's Buff - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Apr 25, 2017 1:23 pm
OOC:
Ok, I'm gonna try to work through Dr. Zephyr's turn myself. He will spend his minor action to move to the adjacent tile with cover *away* from the melee combat in progress. Then for his standard action he will activate *both* abilities in his Splash Aspect, spending 1HP and 1EP. He will not use his one resource slot for his weapon, keeping the damage at d4 and F-hits only, but the attack will affect both Kree and Nerves and I will roll double ability dice and mods for damage. A basic attack from Dr. Zephyr would not activate the "Explosives" specialty in my opinion, however if he activates at least one effect from Splash (2 in this case) OR if he activates his weapon resource I would call either of those things an explosive attack for the extra +2 specialty.

Not sure how Kree's & Nerves' Df and Rs are going to shake out, but let me know if the above mechanics sound correct?
Dr. Zephyr watches Kree leap across the grid and engage in hand-to-hand combat with Nerves. Ignored for the moment, he calmly walks away from the duo to stand behind one of the AR screens raised for cover. He spins his oversized revolver chamber, reaches into the messenger bag hanging off his shoulder, pulls out a large bullet-shaped cartridge, and pops it into the revolver just as it stops spinning. Pointing his PMM up into the air, he lets it fire with a *BANG* *SHOOOM*! As the mortar bullet arcs into the air and starts its downward trajectory, it breaks apart into a dozen smaller pieces and arcs of electricity begin to alight between each one. As they land, the surrounding area is pelted with stun energy.

Rolls

Dr. Zephyr's Splash Attack [FOC] + Combat + Explosives - (1d20+7, 2d4+14)

1d20+7 : (11) + 7 = 18

2d4+14 : (24) + 14 = 20

Apr 25, 2017 4:34 pm
OOC:
Looks more or less right to me! One little change needed: to determine the Resistance targeted, an attack needs to use a different attribute for each modifier (one for skill, one for ability). As a ranged attack without a Resource I usually default to AGI|FOC. So the skill modifier would be 2 points lower but even accounting for heavy cover (+4 Df) the total roll (now 16) still lands a hit.

Kree is 4|3, Nerves is 1|3, and their Resistances weren't Aggravated or Enhanced so you just take highest, 4 and 3 respectively. You also need to take into account the bonus armour from the cover: +4 AR, and Nerves' further +2 thanks to his HALP Resource. So Kree has Rs 8, Nerves has Rs 9. Yet that huge ability roll still beats these by 10 points or more, so...

Both Nerves and Kree take 3 F hits! Nerves 2/8HP remaining, Kree 3/6HP remaining!

Oh, and both Kree and Dr Z. are at 2/3 EP. One more thing: unless otherwise stated, using the Edge version of an Empower aspect includes the HP passive effect, so you don't need to spend 1HP, just the EP!

P.S. Kree has a Buff of 5 and is entitled to spend that when resisting an attack, which would let her avoid 1F hit in this instance, but I thought Iriah might want to hold on to it for Warpath shenanigans.
Apr 25, 2017 5:06 pm
OOC:
Cool, I think I'm getting the hang of this! I saw the split attribute rule on the weapon resource page, but I wasn't sure if that applied across the board or *only* when activating your resource. Good to know.
Apr 25, 2017 7:41 pm
Nerves makes an educated guess on the type of incoming pain Dr. Zephyr is about to unload, and gets lucky. Even as the stunning arcs of electricity being to rain down on them, Nerves reconfigures the HALP system into a power conduit, transferring the field of energy into a directed pulse straight into Kree. The resulting lightshow is incredibly hard to look at.
OOC:
Okay, so I am not sure about the action economy with "Spending" a non-EP power and using an EP in the same turn. But if I can do both, I want to use the EP to Surge. Otherwise, I am just going to hit Kree with my free attack from Opportunist, the free +1N from Assassinate, and then Spend Opportunist for an additional +2N on my standard attack against Kree. Also, Dr. Z picks up an Exploit from that as well.

Rolls

Nerves Free Attack on Kree (FOC) + Tech + Opportunist Bonus/(MND) + Tech - (1d20+7, 1d4+6)

1d20+7 : (6) + 7 = 13

1d4+6 : (2) + 6 = 8

Nerves Standard Attack on Kree (FOC) + Tech + Opportunist Bonus/(MND) + Tech - (1d20+7, 1d4+6)

1d20+7 : (14) + 7 = 21

1d4+6 : (3) + 6 = 9

Apr 25, 2017 9:25 pm
OOC:
Okay spending an aspect while spending an EP on Surge is legal, so Nerves is at 6/8 HP, 2/3 EP.

Kree's Df is still 7, as I don't think she should be able to use her Combat talent rank against this attack type.

Natural roll on first attack is below the Df 7 so Kree's STR|MND Resistance is Enhanced: 3. On the second attack the natural roll is twice her Df so that Resistance is Aggravated: 1.

First attack scores 2 hits. Second attack scores 2 as well, but came perilously close to landing 3, only needed two more ability.

So that's 4 hits, +1N from Assassinate, +2N from spending Opportunist. Kree takes 7 hits! Obscene...

Kree is at 0/6 HP and Iriah has a choice to make: spend an Edge point and suffer an Injury, or risk rolling for the Lethal hit.

After depleting those two Hit Points, that's still 5 hits to account for. 1 becomes a Lethal hit, and each hit after that hit adds +2 to the Lethal hit's roll. So that's 1d4+8 versus an attribute score of Iriah's choice.

However, I'm going to opt to spend the Edge as there's no way Kree can survive 1d4+8 versus any attribute score... Kree's at 0/6 HP with 1/3 EP remaining and must pick an attribute to apply an Injury to, halving its score and losing any aspects tied to it.

(In different circumstances you might just opt to spare the EP and fail the roll and get taken out of the fight, as a party member might be on hand to try a revive action, but in a free-for-all that's not really an option)

And Dr. Zephyr now has an Exploit too, of course.
Apr 26, 2017 3:56 pm
OOC:
Can I take an injury on STR if I only have 1 in it? I'll probably take that if I can.

Then I'll spend Warpath and attack Dr. Z.

edit: Just realised Z is not in this tile. Heck with that, I don't have the EP to spare for my Charge. I'll go for Nerves again.
"No-two-on-one!" Kree yells in between punches, aware that her computer-muscles are protesting with strain.
Last edited April 26, 2017 3:58 pm
Apr 26, 2017 4:33 pm
OOC:
A PC gets to pick any attribute to apply an Injury to, so STR is fine. However you'll lose Brawler as that's tied to STR as part of your current build: doesn't make an enormous difference, but the new version of Brawler grants a minor counterattack when guarding, which might've been helpful.

After the heal, Kree has 5/6 HP remaining and an Injury to her STR (score now 0). Warpath has also been spent.

You didn't specify so I've taken liberty of rolling a standard attack for Kree and a minor guard action rather than making one full attack. I reckon she'll get more mileage from the guard (even without Brawler) than she would the full attack's +2 bonus. Applying CQC's speciality bonus to the skill rather than the ability, so that's 1d20+9, 1d8+6 again.

Oof, poor guard roll, so her Df says 7. Good attack roll at least, so Nerves' Resistance is Aggravated, just 1. Nerves takes 2 hits, 4/8 HP remaining. Kree also generates a new Buff as she scored an N hit.

Rolls

Kree's guard - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Kree's standard attack - (1d20+9, 1d8+6)

1d20+9 : (17) + 9 = 26

1d8+6 : (1) + 6 = 7

Kree's Buff - (1d6)

(3) = 3

You do not have permission to post in this thread.