Game's Discussion

load previous
May 30, 2015 11:22 am
Also BlackStork is there any chance you could post a little diagram on the main thread of where everyyhing is in relation to each other, and any relevant points of geography (hills, valleys, big rocks etc)?
May 30, 2015 11:31 am
Numenera is normally done without detailed landscapes, but i think i could, tho i do not promise. I will be bit busy today in evening, and that will require drawing.

Anyways, as Zinobia said, there many good ideas, the only thing party needs to solve is how they lure the avatrols into the canals without having anyone charged by them. In order to figure how to do that no detailed diagram needed.
May 30, 2015 11:34 am
We seem to have a very different interpretation on how Far Step ability works. To me, it seems simply an esotery-aided physical jump along a clear, unobstructed path to anywhere within Long distance - even three meters away, if need be.

Either way, I have no need to edit Ronna's actions for now. The group has decided to fight and Zinobia has confirmed what she suspected already: that she's going to be completely useless against the beasts. Therefore she is just trying to make sure she does not get in anyone's way - hiding is the one thing she is good at, so it felt like a natural course of action. And in any case, combat planning is in no way her strength, so she is just waiting to see if there is something she could perhaps do.

Also: thanks for judging my intentions for something I had not even considered doing. I was asking about the flowers because Zinobia brought them up and I wondered if there would be something small there that Ronna could actually do to help the group. I find it rather insulting that you draw all sorts of conclusions from one question and lecture me what my character should be doing based on that.
Last edited May 30, 2015 11:37 am
May 30, 2015 11:40 am
Gargoyle says:
We seem to have a very different interpretation on how Far Step ability works. To me, it seems simply an esotery-aided physical jump along a clear, unobstructed path to anywhere within Long distance - even three meters away, if need be.

Either way, I have no need to edit Ronna's actions for now. The group has decided to fight and Zinobia has confirmed what she suspected already: that she's going to be completely useless against the beasts. Therefore she is just trying to make sure she does not get in anyone's way.

Also: thanks for judging my intentions for something I had not even considered doing. I was asking about the flowers because Zinobia brought them up and I wondered if there would be something small there that Ronna could actually do to help the group. I find it rather insulting that you draw all sorts of conclusions from one question and lecture me what my character should be doing based on that.
I did not judge. I knew initially that you might consider to do something else. I think you should percieve me as reason check, when character sees something he could get any kind of analysis. Percieve it as thought which Ronna had in mind that perhaps she could help party in the battle, as good-hearted character with obligations to the team.

Also Zinobia didnt tell that Ronna will be useless. He stated that her and his darts will be useless. But not what you percieving.
Perhaps he/me left to you/party to guess how Ronna might be actually useful in upcoming fight.

IT will be very constructive and enjoyable if you will stop taking things personally. Perhaps those things that you think made to insult you, made actually to hint to you/your character something you are missing. And there no personal offence in that, and i am sorry if you felt so.

Yes, i see Far Step as quick teleportation within the long range distance, not precise and uncontrolled, because you can not pericieve precisely the place where you going to jump within the long range (that is completely different action). Thats why you cant Far Step in the canals. dn thats why you wont be able to Far Step within mine field. But Far Step have awesome ways to use it, and should be used, where it provides really big help.

I have some correction - Yes, it is 1-70 m range. Thats part was wrong on my side, but the precision is what i explained. You land safely if the landing point is safe. Bur you can not control precision in terms if few centimeters here or there , even if jump have short distance.
Even if Far Step is not teleportation , it have 1-70m range, and could not be very precise and it does not change anything in terms of current situation.

Flower field is safe to jump/land, and surrounding area as well. They could be used by Ronna for any kinds of maneuvres using her Far Step.

And again, i really sorry if you felt something bad, but i really did not mean that and just want to help and us to have fun, while still want to preserve the puzzles of this encounter, which have actually quite simple solutions, in which Ronna take/could take major role.
May 30, 2015 12:16 pm
I brought the Far Step thing up, because I only now realised that we see it very differently, and it has caused a lot of confusion so far. I have been planning Ronna's reactions based on my interpretation, and that was for example why I was so confused when trying to understand the canal layout. But we'll of course go with your interpretation (as outlined above, after the correction), as you are the GM. Now that we understand the ability in a more or less the same way, I can react accordingly and things hopefully make bit more sense.

And I want to emphasise that Ronna's reactions are simply roleplaying her: she is hurt, she is unhappy and very scared about the direction things are taking, and she feels completely out of her depth with the combat planning. Up until now, her only plan for any physical confrontation has been to avoid it (hence the Far Step), and now Zinobia has told her that her only weapon is useless. She has no other combat-related abilities or even helpful cyphers. It simply makes no sense for her to be active right now.

After the people with more martial and tactical expertise have come up with a plan, she can see if she's able to contribute in some way. And her tendency to help people will certainly kick in at some point. But for now, she's pretty much convinced that she's about to be ripped into pieces.
Last edited May 30, 2015 12:18 pm
May 30, 2015 12:28 pm
Gargoyle says:
I brought the Far Step thing up, because I only now realised that we see it very differently, and it has caused a lot of confusion so far. I have been planning Ronna's reactions based on my interpretation, and that was for example why I was so confused when trying to understand the canal layout. But we'll of course go with your interpretation (as outlined above, after the correction), as you are the GM. Now that we understand the ability in a more or less the same way, I can react accordingly and things hopefully make bit more sense.

And I want to emphasise that Ronna's reactions are simply roleplaying her: she is hurt, she is unhappy and very scared about the direction things are taking, and she feels completely out of her depth with the combat planning. Up until now, her only plan for any physical confrontation has been to avoid it (hence the Far Step), and now Zinobia has told her that her only weapon is useless. She has no other combat-related abilities or even helpful cyphers. It simply makes no sense for her to be active right now.

After the people with more martial and tactical expertise have come up with a plan, she can see if she's able to contribute in some way. And her tendency to help people will certainly kick in at some point. But for now, she's pretty much convinced that she's about to be ripped into pieces.
Very good, rp is fun and very constructive for good game. Again, sorry if i made you feel bad, i meant really to help and to "throw some thougts" into Ronna's head. I really respect your role-playing, your activity and creativity, and i am learning as well, before we dive into complex and rich, full of things setting.
Cheers. v:)

Btw yeah Ronna could do recovery rolls to overcome liquid effects. She have 2 stacks so she need 2 rolls to cure.
May 30, 2015 7:33 pm
harlandski says:
Also BlackStork is there any chance you could post a little diagram on the main thread of where everyyhing is in relation to each other, and any relevant points of geography (hills, valleys, big rocks etc)?
As i said Numenera normally not played with precise mapping , and pls dont take it as something precise but, generally something like that, if that helps
sketchy map
lilac is flower fields, lines are hills, blue dot is avatrols, red dot is party.

This is not required to win. As party mamebers already found, if Avatrols lured into the liquid, they are out, and that oppens all land passage to wanted direction.

There also, probably, Orosomia, which could call Avatrols closer, and enrage them, making less cautios.

All is left is to find how to lure Avatrols.

PS. Tho i have many detailed. well done maps for some other places, but they belong to Octagon and availble starting at Act 2.
Sorry for too raw look, did not had time for more
May 31, 2015 11:51 pm
A bit late for this question but can I ask why the shield asset only worked on one attack. The way the rule states its as long as you have a shield equipped you have an asset to all speed defense rolls. Im not sure why mine was only allowed to apply to one attack.
Jun 1, 2015 1:01 am
Well, the main thing that Monte Cook states a lot of times is to follow the story and logic and reason, and that in Numenera those come always above rules, which could be modified in their favor. Dogs were not making regular attack - there were just on you and attacked somultaneously. Unless you have some defencive sphere you can't defend all directions with your round shield, it can not cover you from your left and right side at same second from very short range.
I could find many quotations like that in N books. (About reason, logic and story, which come always above, before the rules and may adjust them). So i did what Numenera rules suggesting, did slight modification according to specifics of situation, following reasoning and logic, which according the rules may come "over" default N rules calculations.
Also pls do not forget that was GM intrusion, and my decision was part of it. Anyways, that even did not influenced the combat, and Jax deflected all hits, receiving easy GM intrusion, one of easiest I saw in my experience, which is cool cause it shows how cool and stalwart your character is. In case of intrusions GM can modify and alter results and calculations as he may see them fit. I were able to say that your can not defend against attack and you being hit automatically in order to balance the intrusion, or that all rolls now at +2 diff and provide reason for it, because, it is intrusion afterall, and make it worthy of xp, instead of that I adjusted defence according to the delicate specifics of intrusion situation. :)
Rules in N is just outline to follow - at default. They could be altered normally in favor of logic and reason and story, and certainly will be modified in cases of intrusions - because that is what intrusions are.
One of my responsibilities is to make game challenging, rewards worthy of challenges, and the story - engaging.
Jun 1, 2015 3:06 am
Thats fine im ok with your ruling it was just not brought up until after I was making the rolls rather than before them
Jun 1, 2015 4:52 am
Schauer says:
Thats fine im ok with your ruling it was just not brought up until after I was making the rolls rather than before them
Its because there were not only GM intrusion reason but also reason reason - as i saw hounds which were already biting Jax, and attacking from very very close range, in same moment, from different sides. I realized that applying shield to those three attacks is unrealistic, so i mentioned it before i analyzed the rolls, and then calculated them and saw that jax anyways managed to fend of bites.
Jun 1, 2015 4:28 pm
I added poll, pls answer it. I need it in order to know how i should setup the game further, after Act 2, which will need few good encounters before it, but will come in, eventually. Thanks.
Jun 3, 2015 4:43 am
One question about the plan: what is supposed to set the avitrols offs? Just the scent of the flowers after Ronna has shot at them or something else?
Jun 3, 2015 6:12 am
just particles from exploding flowers.
When they explode, they release particles, and they fly around, looking for avatrols, assuming partially neural control over them, bringing them to the creature which offended the plant.
So that means creatures will come themselves, and will be llooking for someone, as Orosomia do not call them for nothing.
Jun 3, 2015 3:41 pm
Can I tie a rope to an arrow and use it like a harpoon?
Jun 3, 2015 3:46 pm
themightykobold says:
Can I tie a rope to an arrow and use it like a harpoon?
Well, you can try everything you can imagine and makes sense in Numenera. Be creative, why not, its good :) :P
Jun 5, 2015 4:05 pm
How is Ronna's position on top of the hill? Does she dare to stay there for a while, until someone needs her, or is she too close to the flowers herself?

Ronna's pools are updated.
Jun 5, 2015 4:13 pm
You didnt specified where she jumped. Hill top was like 60m from where she was, and that is edge of the range, and i assumed she jumped at random, to some safe location intuitively.
There are map somewhere of the area, i posted it before in this thread.

Pic

Jump pad point - 22-25m to initial point where Ronna was, and that point is ~ 45 m from flower field edge position where Ronna leaped at first jump. Now she jumped to point somewhere on the hill top which is 60m distance from the point she were before.

Here is Ronna's jumps map
Ronna jumps
Jun 5, 2015 4:23 pm
Btw update Darts please :) (-3), Ronna will be able to search for darts later though.
Jun 7, 2015 9:50 am
Perhaps my hint was not so clear @Gargoyle (Ronna)
The hiding nat20 have meaning that because of all activities and safe momentum for rest Ronna can concentrate and overcome and completely cure from numbness made by liquid if she takes recovery action now.
You can also modify your last action and add RR to it till i declare results of the round and declare then new one.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.