Game's Discussion

load previous
May 29, 2015 6:04 am
Jumping and balancing do you mean? Or would one of the two be enough. Do we need balance for the walk sections?
May 29, 2015 6:07 am
themightykobold says:
the only two ideas that seem viable paths for exploration are the "strong helping the weak", finding some option where we help each other, or that your original nano scan didn't roll high enough and that scanning again may reveal more info.
I would say it has to be the helping each other thing rather than the scan - I rolled 19 and am skilled, so that's 22 - a difficulty 7 roll.

However, I feel that I should now let someone else take the lead on this, as I have taken up too much airtime already, and failed to come up with a solution. I'm really going to wait until everyone's posted now, and will go along with the majority decision.
Last edited May 29, 2015 6:19 am
May 29, 2015 6:07 am
The landing surface could be very thin, and that is main complexity of the jumping. Jumping helps with long jumps, but balancing helps with landing precisely and balancing the body after jump on top of very thin stripe of surface.
Both those skills will reduce complexity of the passage by 1 level of difficulty for one who passes and trained in them.
May 29, 2015 6:13 am
By the way, does anyone actually have the jumping skill?

To be honest, I suspect that facing six avatrols (I think there were six?) would be the end of this adventure, so despite everything, I'd be voting for whichever method we decide to use to pass through the canals. At least that's safe for anyone who can actually jump.
May 29, 2015 6:16 am
It would not be the end for sure, but it would be really tough bloody fight, without causalities, but probably with injuries....or without, depends on roll.... its 6 vs 7 , and party is much stronger, but the Avatrols are lvl 4, so DCs for defence and attack is 12 by default, so the fight will require creativity from players, also it could be made bit more easier if party sucess to sneak on them while they are resting.

And... Teamwork solves all. To be solo Genius is good and sometimes very helpful, but the teamwork is the key to overcome complexities.

And there are flex skills.
May 29, 2015 6:21 am
Maybe it's just being lost but I'm not seeing anything else. I can flexskill jumping. Either of the glaives have a 50/50 chance of being trained in jumping or balancing since they have to select from four including those two. Truly, I think that we could not only get the drop on the avatrols but somehow get them to chase us/me back to the canals where we can use the coolant to our advantage as well.
May 29, 2015 6:22 am
harlandski says:
However, I feel that I should now let someone else take the lead on this, as I have taken up too much airtime already, and failed to come up with a solution. I'm really going to wait until everyone's posted now, and will go along with the majority decision.
I share this feeling. Ronna has hurt her hand, Zinobia has pretty much told her that she's an idiot, and I've been posting rather much already. I don't have any solution, just things that one might've tried out, so I don't think I have any place in taking the lead on solving this.
May 29, 2015 6:23 am
themightykobold says:
The tying rope thing I was thinking about was send one person over that had high jump (anchor 1), tie rope to them and someone on the far end (anchor 2), have everyone cross over one at a time, and then maybe have anchor 1 go back (if anchor 2 is just strong and not a jumper), have someone else hold the rope on the far bank (anchor 3) with anchor 1, let anchor 2 cross, tie rope to anchor 1 in case he falls in on final crossing, and then have anchor 1 jump accross one last time.
Put more simply, couldn't we just have two anchors, holding a taught rope which the others use to steady them as they cross.

Blackstork - how far across is the whole canal thing, at the point of route 5 (the one with all the 1s and 2s)? Could for example Ronna jump across the whole thing with one end of the rope and then hold it whilst the rest of us jump across, with the rope as a kind of handrail?

Even if someone can't get all the way across, are there widish points in the middle where anchors could stand?
May 29, 2015 6:24 am
If anyone is ready or gives up they could do their final post. The ones who still want to find the solution should present it before the party.
May 29, 2015 6:25 am
BlackStork says:
It would not be the end for sure, but it would be really tough bloody fight, without causalities, but probably with injuries....or without, depends on roll.... its 6 vs 7 , and party is much stronger, but the Avatrols are lvl 4, so DCs for defence and attack is 12 by default, so the fight will require creativity from players, also it could be made bit more easier if party sucess to sneak on them while they are resting.
By the way, if it comes to facing Avatrols, I'm going to let others plan the strategy. Ronna is of course pretty useless in an encounter like that, so in a way it's only natural, but I also know the stats for the creatures, so I don't think it would be fair for me to say much.
May 29, 2015 6:26 am
themightykobold says:
Maybe it's just being lost but I'm not seeing anything else. I can flexskill jumping. Either of the glaives have a 50/50 chance of being trained in jumping or balancing since they have to select from four including those two. Truly, I think that we could not only get the drop on the avatrols but somehow get them to chase us/me back to the canals where we can use the coolant to our advantage as well.
That's a nice idea - lure them into the liquid.
May 29, 2015 6:28 am
The rope wont help. You'd better do not have rope, but having anchors might be a good idea. The rope will just connect bodies and will create unneded pull.
The jump will require rebalance after jump. If there will be anchor, it could be bit easier. If anchor is trained , then may be even more easier for the jumping person, because anchor could rebalance after he catches the jumping person and tries to drag and help him to land properly. Perhaps one person or even two who give hand to the jumping person could be a good idea?
May 29, 2015 6:32 am
harlandski says:

Blackstork - how far across is the whole canal thing, at the point of route 5 (the one with all the 1s and 2s)? Could for example Ronna jump across the whole thing with one end of the rope and then hold it whilst the rest of us jump across, with the rope as a kind of handrail?

Even if someone can't get all the way across, are there widish points in the middle where anchors could stand?
This was kinda the track I was thinking when I asked what the widest/narrowest point was. I was hoping to know the distance across the entire canal since I only have 50ft of rope. If we have more rope, we can tie it together at the sacrifice of a few feet but yeah, a hand hold may make it an asset for everyone crossing after the anchor.

Also, I'm tired. I need to hit the hay. See you all tomorrow.
May 29, 2015 6:34 am
I mean, why have everyone jump if the rope won't help that much? If the anchors are strong enough, people could just shimmy along the rope over the canal as the anchors held it.
May 29, 2015 6:43 am
There are two things you should think about:
common sense, physics and very basic things
game rules

You are close. Very close. Mandoric is almost got discovery, and Lucas with him.
May 29, 2015 6:43 am
Also. before I nod off, the two glaives with limited schedules already weighed in saying that we should fight so in lieu of any greater insighs, I think we should just go get the avitrols instead of holding another vote.
May 29, 2015 6:46 am
themightykobold says:
Also. before I nod off, the two glaives with limited schedules already weighed in saying that we should fight so in lieu of any greater insighs, I think we should just go get the avitrols instead of holding another vote.
Right, but then Jax changed and was almost ready to help to smash the wall. We will wait for their vote, or at least Jax's. Or we might have Mandoric finding the solution.
May 29, 2015 6:48 am
So after a lot of hinting from BlackStork ;-) it sounds like what we should do is:

1) We take 'route 5', which if I've understood right is all 1s and 2s.
2) Someone with a relevant skill jumps across, meaning the 1s are 0s for them, and can use effort on the 2s if they want to make them 0s too.
3) That person gets ready to catch everyone else as they come across. I'm not sure if this would count as an asset or just a second chance, but in any case, it would make falling in less likely. People can use effort on the 2s as well.
4) If people end up numbed, we can either deal with that immediately (healing), or just use rests etc - we can sit on the bits between the pools. In any case on the other side it looks like it is relatively safe and we can rest 10 hours if neccessary.

In any case, this sounds like the less deadly option. I've bought the Ninth World Bestiary (still Scifi week sale on dtrpg!), and Avatrols are badass!

I don't think it would be appropriate for me to suggest this, as Mandoric is definitely looking for a technical solution by now, and I haven't thought of this - I've just summarized our discussion above. If this works maybe we should all get 1XP ;-)
May 29, 2015 7:35 am
This is pretty much the direction of the solution.
Yes, i will award all 3 players who tried to solve it.
Pls check page 101 of corebook.

If 2 persons who are skilled go forth (and we have 4 like that due flex skill of the jacks)
an will provide hand to those who do the jump, the complexity will be 1 diff les for ones who are not skilled and jump
For ones who skilled having hand from other also counts as +1 bonus to roll
+ we have jacks and glaives who can use effort with speed edge.
+ team will be able to pull ones who do not have skill and will need to roll on jumps of 2nd lvl of complexity and will roll low (1-2)
When ariving person can just advance further on the ssurface stripe in order to provide space to next jumper.

This means that skilled person who goes first will need to do diff roll 1 x2 times, or can use speed effort to forfeit any rolls,
next persons who are skilled will need to roll twice the lvl 1 roll, and will have +1 bonus to it (any roll above the 1 is sucess)
Unskilled ones will have help of 2 skilled persons, who will pull & catch them, and balance themselves .
Unskilled will need to do 2 diff 1 rolls, or use effort to forfeit any rolls, same as it with skilled person who goes first and does not recieve any help.

Team play is a key.
May 29, 2015 7:37 am
I's ok to declare the solution in-character by either Lucas or Mandoric.
The initial glimpse idea was by Mandoric.... so i think actually he is most aporiate person also i made some datasphere intrusion post there. The idea of healping each other was his, so ....

Lucas (for being constructive and helpful), Mandoric (for right idea and for scientific approach) and Ronna (for determination, and also somethimes when you being hurt you get experience from that) will get 1 XP after passage is done.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.