Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
Dec 6, 2017 12:40 pm
Mordred sneaks a few feet into the opening, checking for traps or hidden creatures as he goes.

Rolls

Stealthy - (1d20+9)

(3) + 9 = 12

Perceptiony - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Dec 6, 2017 5:23 pm
Leth and Felor can see depressions and broken undergrowth that indicates the passage of large creatures in and out of this area.

Mordred finds no traps, but walks face-first into some webbing that he hurriedly brushes away. Inside the shelter is a cavern mouth that leads down into the hollows of the earth below the forest floor.
Dec 6, 2017 9:57 pm
Leth shudders as they look into the cavern mouth.

"The way I see it, we have two options - venture into the creepy cave to see what manner of monstrosity lives here, and possibly get trapped inside if the creature is away and comes back while we're checking out it's home, OR find a place nearby to hide and wait for the creature to show itself."
Dec 7, 2017 3:57 pm
"I guess we did promise to investigate," Domarc says. "How easy it sounds in the tavern! Is there a chance that some poor benighted soul is trapped in the house of the beast? Or can we think of a way to draw it out to us?"

Domarc listens at the cavern mouth.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(20) + 3 = 23

Dec 7, 2017 4:14 pm
"I figure we're at a disadvantage either way," says Zangua. "We can set up an ambush, but I figure this beast knows this neck of the woods better 'n us, and what if it moves through the trees? Poking into its den is just as bad, since we don't know what kind of nook and cranny it's got in there."

The warrior considers things. "It's like a spider, right? Maybe if we jiggle one of these webs, it'll attract its attention? Then maybe it'll come crawling on one of those strands that head off thataway, and we can at least better prepare for it."
Dec 7, 2017 10:22 pm
Domarc listens, but cannot hear any identifiable sounds. However, what he hears is not the silence of emptiness. He is left with a certainty that there is some thing, or things, alive down there.
Dec 8, 2017 7:48 pm
"Something is down there. Or somethings," Domarc says. "I like Zangua's idea - let's see if we can draw something out. It's also possible that whatever we hunt only comes out at night."
Dec 8, 2017 7:59 pm
Everybody make a Perception check.
Dec 8, 2017 8:08 pm
OOC:
Those five dreadful words...

Edit: 7 of my last 9 rolls have all been under 10. Woof.
Last edited December 8, 2017 8:11 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

Dec 9, 2017 1:20 am
Zangua looks around, as if he might see something in their odd surroundings that would seem out of place.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(15) + 6 = 21

Dec 9, 2017 5:39 pm
Felor listens to the silent forest as the others discuss tactics.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Dec 11, 2017 4:22 pm
OOC:
Here goes nothing

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Dec 11, 2017 4:38 pm
Zangua has the distinct feeling that he's being watched.
Dec 11, 2017 4:53 pm
"You all remember the time we were on that island? The one with the giant birds?" Zangua says evenly, slowly panning his view across the webbed woods. "That was fun, wasn't it?"
Dec 11, 2017 8:26 pm
Mordred raises a hand to signal to the rest of the group that he is about to try something. His other hand performs the arcane motions that create Mordred's Thaumaturgy spell. He uses the tremor effect to shake the earth around them for several seconds, hoping that this will cause any animals or beasts in the area to panic and reveal their locations.
Dec 12, 2017 11:05 am
"You are aware that spiders sense their prey through vibrations, yes? I fear you may just have rung the dinner bell"
Dec 12, 2017 3:59 pm
"Fine by me," says Zangua. "Let's get this over with."
Dec 12, 2017 5:10 pm
Several small creatures dart through the underbrush or take flight as Mordred vibrates the earth around them, but by all appearances they are only harmless, mundane creatures, rodents and birds and the like.

Nothing else stirs in the silence that follows.
Dec 12, 2017 5:33 pm
"I was hoping it would get whatever it is to reveal its location, but it seems too smart for that. Should we go down?"

Mordred is ready to go if the rest of the party is.
Dec 12, 2017 5:42 pm
Zangua looks for a branch or object long enough to touch one of the strands that lead into the trees.
load next

Thread locked