Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
Nov 28, 2017 11:15 pm
"Huh. Just a woodpecker after all." He mumbles to himself, and looks around, trying to identify the source of the smell.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(8) + 6 = 14

Nature (anything unusual about the woodpecker?) - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Nov 28, 2017 11:33 pm
The woodpecker was gone too quickly for Leth to make any specific observations about it.

Leth follows his nose to the north a bit. When he reaches the source of the smell, he nearly steps in it: a small pool of brownish-red slime on the ground. Its has a smooth consistency and smells like rot and death.
Nov 29, 2017 11:22 am
"We should stick together. Easy to get yourself turned around and lost in the woods," says Felor, heading to catch up with Leth and motioning the others to follow.

Leaning in to see what the Ranger's inspecting, Felor recoils at the smell. "Fjorgyn's teeth! What in the nine hells is that?"

Poke the goo with a stick for any clues to its properties or origin

Rolls

Nature skill check - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Nov 29, 2017 4:04 pm
Zangua tries to stay upwind of the scent while keeping his eyes on their surroundings.
Nov 29, 2017 5:29 pm
To Felor, it looks like the semi-liquefied remains of something that was recently alive.
Nov 30, 2017 7:01 am
Leth wrinkles his nose at the smell as Felor prods it.

"Yeesh. What a way to go." He spends a few moments looking closely at the goopy remains, then the surrounding area, trying to determine two things: one, what kind of creature could do something like this, and two, where that creature might have come from or gone.
OOC:
I know I've done a lot of rolls lately and if you wanna carry those over instead of using these new rolls that's fine.

Rolls

Nature - What could do this? - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Perception - where did you come from, where did you go, where did you come from cotton eye joe? - (1d20+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

Nov 30, 2017 4:47 pm
"If that's the remains of a meal, is it from before eating or after, do you think?" Domarc asks.
Nov 30, 2017 5:05 pm
Leth has never seen anything quite like this, and can only surmise that the black beast -- whatever is creating these webs -- is the source of this excreta. As to Domarc's question, Leth has no answer.

Several thick strands of webbing connect the trunks of trees to the southwest, offering the only clue Leth can see for which direction to proceed in.
Dec 1, 2017 7:44 pm
Zangua is ready to proceed where the scouts deem necessary.
Dec 4, 2017 1:49 am
"I'm not sure... this looks nothing like I've ever come across before. At any rate, I don't think it would be a pleasant experience either way." Leth says, responding to Domarc before gesturing towards the southwest.

"Whatever did this either came from or went towards this direction. Seems to be our best bet if we're trying to find it."
Dec 4, 2017 5:02 pm
The party continues onward, heading southwest. The canopy grows thicker here, and the forest grows darker and darker is the party delves deeper within it. The sightings of webbing remain sporadic, but where they are seen, there are more strands, crisscrossing larger areas, and at several points the part has to back up and find a path around them. The forest is quiet...too quiet. At one point the party comes across a fallen tree trunk that has some of the same rotten blood slurry spattered across it, but it seems drier, less fresh than the puddle they encountered earlier. A little further on, the party finds a dead bird caught in the end of a broken strand of web, swinging from a high branch like a pendulum.

Several miles into the woods, the party reaches a massive shambolic structure of gray, fallen tree trunks and piled branches leaning against each other, forming a sort of hut or shelter with one obvious, wide opening to the interior. There is webbing all over the structure and the surrounding area -- not just the thick webbing of the "black beast," but regular patches of cobwebbing as well. The way inside, however, is clear.

There is a sickening, vinegary stench to this place.
Dec 4, 2017 5:14 pm
"What do you think?" Zangua asks. "Set the whole forest on fire?"
Dec 4, 2017 11:30 pm
It's a triangular opening about 10' high and wide.
Dec 5, 2017 12:09 pm
Noticing the regular cobwebs amongst the... unnatural cobwebs, Felor frowns. "So, nothing living in this forest... except spiders." He looks at the shelter ahead of them. "Which makes me worry about what needs a ten-foot doorway."
Dec 5, 2017 3:52 pm
Zangua stays quiet, which doesn't help his imagination.
Dec 5, 2017 8:33 pm
"Should we knock? Just let ourselves in? I am not sure I relish bearding this beast in it's den."
Dec 5, 2017 8:51 pm
"Doesn't look like there's a door," Zangua observes.
Dec 6, 2017 5:34 am
"Well... we came out here to kill us a monster, didn't we?" Leth asks, almost as if to himself. He glances around the opening for any signs that whatever lives here might currently be inside or passed through recently.
Last edited December 6, 2017 5:34 am

Rolls

investigation - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Dec 6, 2017 9:12 am
Felor looks for tracks - if there were going to be some anywhere, it would be here by its... nest?

Rolls

Survival (tracks) - (1d20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

load next

Thread locked