Ch. 1

Jun 1, 2015 7:04 pm
It's midday. The streets of Dragon Pool are crowded. Uhlskah finds himself moving through the crowd of frightened whispers trying to get a good look at the steps of the Erathis Temple. He heard their was a strange death. Patrolmen hold back the crowd and make it part for a human and gnome. You've seen them at strange happenings before. Kubi Asterion and a consultant Kirrian Shadowpool introduce themselves to a half-elf marked with the symbol of Erathis, keeping the scene calm. Ravastine, you weren't here when it happened but you've gathered bits in the minute you've been here.

There was a blast of plague. Two people dropped to the ground, three screamed in pain, as red boils appeared on their body. Someone standing beside the now deceased fled before anyone really knew what was happening. The other collapsed victim is unconscious and being treated. The Three others are sitting inside.
Jun 1, 2015 8:38 pm
After introducing Master Shadowpool and himself to the young paladin and receiving her report, Asterion hesitates a brief moment, deciding whether he should speak with the wounded or pursue the possible suspect. Making his decision, he gives quick instructions to the most senior among the city guards: "Find out if there are any other witnesses. Get me a description of our possible suspect, the person who was beside the fatality. Cordon off this area and mark where each of the five victims were standing when it happened. Determine all five victims' identities and see if there is a connection. Report to me later."

Asterion then turns to Ravastine. "I would like to examine the corpse before I speak with the three infected who are conscious," he says to Ravastine. "All this happened right here in front of the temple? Are you certain there is no risk if this infection spreading?"
Last edited June 1, 2015 9:16 pm
Jun 2, 2015 5:19 pm
"You talk quickly, I like that," Ravastine says, with the hint of a grim smile on her face. "I just arrived here moments ago, and I know nothing about the risk." She gestures at the corpse. "Have a look, I need to fetch the priest, she has some familiarity with disease and hopefully she can identify the type of plague." She holds a hand up, and continues "Best not get too close until we know more."

Ravastine looks around to assure herself that the crowd is well back, and then enters the temple. She finds a servant/acolyte and says: "Stay back from me and tell the others to stay well away from the entrance, there may be plague afoot. Find Lady Gavrantha and tell her that her expertise with plague is immediately needed, on the doorstep."

She she then returns to the entrance to console and question the victims sitting inside. She will attempt to keep Kubi Asterion and Kirrian Shadowpool a safe distance from the victims, but will relay a conversation between them, if needed.
Jun 2, 2015 5:28 pm
"How'n do'ya expect anyone to know'th answer to that question if'n we do'na know'wat caused' the infliction? Summon the healers an'a make'em tell us what this might be. I'll look ta see if'n t'was magic at the source, but I do'na think I'll be much help heal in' the folk t'ain't dead."

Kirrian begins by waving his arms slowly. Suddenly a small burst of light shoots out of his sleeve. It is is his fairy familiar, Nimblethorn. The two of them move in a circle around the crime scene, the corpse in the center. The fairy makes fast small circles throughout the area while the gnome walks his slow circuit around the outside. He is chanting something in Sylvan quietly under his breath, those that can speak the language catch snippets, and hear that he is calling for the magics of the world to reveal themselves to him.

Rolls

Arcana Skill check for Detect Magic - (1d20+11)

(16) + 11 = 27

Jun 2, 2015 6:56 pm
While waiting for Ravastine to return with the priestess, Asterion examines the scene as well, though he is looking for more mundane clues. His Ironwrought training kicks in as he searches for anything out of the ordinary. He motions to the senior guard to make his report.
Last edited June 9, 2015 1:36 am
Jun 3, 2015 12:32 am
The guards depart with their orders from Asterion. They mark the ground with chalk, 4 x's at 2,7, 6 and 9 0'clock positions from the center(body), each between 8 and 25 feet from the corpse.

Kirrian, you can tell this isn't a natural disease. There was a magical discharge. But there is no magic here now.
The body, unrecognizable, is enveloped in red boils, getting an identity will be difficult.

Lady Gavrantha comes from within the temple "I apologize. I was tending to the unconscious." "It's an accelerated disease that burns itself out in seconds. They are not contagious." She leans down and takes the hand of one of three witnesses sitting on a bench inside the entrance to the temple. The hand is red with boils "It won't spread," she tells him. "But you'll still have to get this treated."

[Asterion are you asking about what happened before you got here or on the information you recently told them to gather?]
Jun 3, 2015 6:36 am
ShadowFire says:
[Asterion are you asking about what happened before you got here or on the information you recently told them to gather?]
OOC: Whichever is available at the moment.

Asterion notes the positions marked with X's. He then examines the corpse while conferring with Lady Gavrantha. "These boils. I have never seen their like. Master Shadowpool here has determined the disease was triggered by magical means. Can it be treated with mundane methods? I am determined to get to the bottom of this, Lady Gavrantha. As soon as you judge the witnesses are able I would like to interview them to see if I might gain some clues as to what happened."
Last edited June 9, 2015 1:36 am
Jun 3, 2015 11:36 am
Uhlskah takes a dark delight in the horrible scene, and already starts thinking about how to portray it in a macabre ballad, but his attention is soon taken up by the evident consternation and uncertainty of the temple official. And if that Ironwrought and Gnome have been called in, it must be ... serious.

Uhlskah's first instinct was to slip through the cordon and get a good look at the bodies himself, but considering the number of guardsmen floating around that could be bothersome, so instead he turns his attention to the crowd, using his apparently uninterested little comments and asides to see if there is anyone who saw what happened in more detail.

OOC: Hmm - that roll didn't process properly it's +9 for my streetwise, so result of 17.
Last edited June 3, 2015 11:37 am

Rolls

Streetwise to gather information from crowd - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Jun 3, 2015 12:43 pm
Ravastine motions Asterion over to the sitting witnesses. "The outbreak isn't contagious, so you're safe to approach them." Turning to the victims, she speaks to them, as she would to equals. "You're going to be okay, this isn't going to get worse. I know that you're probably scared and confused but I want to find whoever did this and stop them from doing it again. You can help me do that, if you can think back to right before the moment that this happened. Try and remember what was going on around you. Did you see anyone or anything that looked like it might be casting a spell, or using magic, or throwing something? Anything unusual focused on the space between all of you?"

Rolls

Diplomacy - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Jun 3, 2015 11:46 pm
Kilth
-Someone thinks they saw two sisters walking out of the temple, arguing; one fled one dead; of Norbin, a low born family name -Another intends to visit the Norbin house, though his companion warns him against it -Some say one of the victims is a Keleem Rynekel (Rynekel is one of the ruling families, each family has one seat on the council, Keleem does not represent this seat) but others disagree because they can't see him
Asterion
The 'blight' seems to have been most powerful in the center(Corpse) and the effects taper of to only scorch the shoulder/hand/limb further away.
The guard rules that the three witnesses on the bench are ordinary citizens, two are servants, but that the one unconscious is an important, Keleem Rynekel, and his parents are probably one thier way and to expect a 'storm' when they get here.
Ravastine
-You stop them from asking questions of you before they respond to your questions and keep them calm.
"I was just walking to the market, I was thinking about the prices not this!"
"I sorry, I can't think of anything."
"I.. their was talking, people. Lord Keleem was walking ahead of me. Is he going to be okay?"
Jun 4, 2015 5:27 am
Having gathered what he can about the magic involved Kirrian scans the crowd. He notices the dark elf bard working the crowd. He has seen the man around and heard him perform. His original works were a bit dark, but they suited Kirrian's ear just fine. When there was a lull in the cross investigation Kirrian calls out to to the crowd, but makes eye contact with Uhlskah Kilth, "Hello, citizens of Dragon Pool. We are doing our best to find out the sourse of this incident. The healers have determined that there is no immediate threat from the affliction that befell these individuals. There is no disease to fear. However we are getting conflicting information. Did anyone see anything at all in regard to who did this? Any information would be of assistance! Please step forward and declare what you saw if you think it may be of interest. Please!"
Jun 4, 2015 8:45 am
Uhlskah turns to Kirrian, deliberately not changing his posture, so he looks right down his nose at him. In a half-song dripping with irony he projects his voice towards the gnome:

"Some say the Norbin girl ran off,
Some say they saw Rynekel.
Whoever did this dreadful deed,
Our gnome is in a pickle."

Seeing the gnome scowl up, Uhlskah's face cannot help but break out into a genuine smile, and in a more conciliatory tone he says, "If it's information you want, you're looking at the right person, though you'll have to trade me the information you have about this ... tragedy." He seems to relish the last word rather too much.
Last edited June 4, 2015 8:51 am
Jun 4, 2015 9:29 am
Asterion is still inside the temple with Ravastine & Lady Gavrantha. He recognizes Keleem Rynekel as soon as he lays eyes on him. The guard's report merely confirms it. And the Lord & Lady Rynekel are on their way here! Damn!

Based on available information, Keleem Rynekel was not the target of the attack (or perhaps he was, but the assassin missed narrowly). Identifying the deceased is vital. The three other victims appear to be collateral damage.

Asterion nods when the guard tells him that Kirrian is already canvassing the crowd for more witnesses. Curious character, that Kirrian. He is aware that Master Shadowpool has been a valuable asset to the Ironwrought in the past but this is his first time working closely with the gnome.

Asterion decides to confer with Kirrian to see what he has gathered, but first... "Lady Gavrantha, I understand the affliction is not contagious, and can be healed. What can we expect from your unconscious patient in the next few hours and days? Will he regain consciousness soon?" he gestures towards Rynekel's inert form on the pallet. "Given his identity I'm sure you can appreciate the...delicate nature of this matter. I've been told his parents are on their way here. This complicates things. I would like to glean as much information as possible before they arrive and I have to play the diplomat."
Last edited June 5, 2015 8:33 am
Jun 5, 2015 4:58 pm
Asterion
Lady Gavrantha "Lord Rynekel won't be awake until late into the night. I'm sorry. He will have the best recovery if we go at a semi-natural pace and not force it with harsh magics."

Kirrian
Some of the crowd disperses as they take your words with relief, or believe they've gotten their juicy story for the day to take home and gossip on.
Jun 5, 2015 8:53 pm
"Thank you very much for your help, Lady Gavrantha. I defer to your wisdom in the matter of his healing. Now I must continue my investigation. I expect we shall speak again when the elder Rynekels arrive." Asterion takes his leave of Lady Gavrantha. The young paladin Ravastine catches his eye again. The beautiful young half-elf almost reminds him of...he shakes his head, refocusing his thoughts.

Returning to the scene of the attack he finds Kirrian speaking with a dark elf. His eyebrow arched in the direction of the drow, he asks, "Master Shadowpool. What do you have for me?"
Last edited June 5, 2015 9:13 pm
Jun 6, 2015 12:51 am
"Ahk, na'much I'm afraid. The bastard used some magic unknownst t'me. T'was quick and left no trail. My guess is it was a one time use item...possibly a scroll even. The magic lingers as spells are'want ta'do, but the caster left na trail ta'follow. It does tell us he didn't teleport at least. And mayhaps wasn't using any magical disguise. If'n we could find a witness who got a peek at'em, we might have somet'in"

Indicating the draw he says, "Now this laddie 'ere, he was working the crowd and may have charmed some'tin out a lass or two. Tell him what you tools me lad! And leave off alll'o the flowery rhym'in bits."
Jun 6, 2015 2:23 am
Ravastine hovers around the Ironwrought and his gnomish companion. They seem, to her, like people who might quickly get to the heart of matters. Nodding to herself, she whistles loudly at the crowd-tainer, and gestures him up to her. To them.
Jun 6, 2015 4:23 pm
With all the over-confidence of a talented and popular adolescent, Uhlskah approaches Ravastine and gives her a dramatic bow,

"At your service, Madam."

In the same vein he turns back to Kirrian,

"Yes, well our best witness would seem to be the other Norbin girl. Running off and leaving her dying sister...", he tuts, "but easy enough to find her again. You see that gentleman over there? He was planning on visiting the family himself. So, shall we?", he makes a sweeping gesture with his hand, taking in Ravastine, Kirrian and Asterion.

At all times he talks more loudly than is strictly necessary, playing to the crowd, and his show is not going unnoticed. His assumption that he is part of this investigation is as brash as it is natural.
Last edited June 6, 2015 4:24 pm
Jun 8, 2015 7:22 am
Asterion crooks a finger and the senior guard comes. The Kubi quietly gives the guard instructions to discreetly follow the man Uhlskah has just indicated.

Asterion then looks at the drow carefully. This entertainer's manner annoys him. An investigation requires subtlety! Still, he may prove useful. After all, he has just extracted information the guards had not, and provided a potentially valuable lead!

"Doubtless you know my name. You will now tell me yours. I may permit you to assist us if I judge you an asset and not a liability. At the moment, with your grandstanding, you are proving the latter. You may yet change my mind. Your information may prove useful if it proves true. Now tell me your name, your interest in this case..." Asterion's stare hardens before adding, "...and why I shouldn't consider you a suspect."
Last edited June 9, 2015 1:51 am
Jun 8, 2015 6:25 pm
The man Uhlskah overheard talking, hears his show to the authorities, And looks around wondering if he is the one being spoken of. He removes himself and slips slowly into the streets, not seeing/understanding Asterion's order to the guard.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.