Ch. 1

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jun 22, 2015 1:16 am
Ravastine stands solemnly and politely nearby, attempting to keep herself available but stay out of the way of the distraught parents. She will keep an eye toward the door and act as a humble guard if any non-Erathian attempts to enter.

She watches them subtlety. Her life has been harsh at its worst and even rugged at its best. These folk seem born into a sort of luxury she cannot comprehend, yet all people share such tragedies: rich or poor, noble or common, the danger to a child is equally difficult. Well, a loved child, she grimly adds.
Jun 22, 2015 5:00 am
((OOC: Not my first one on this site though. I either get great or horrible rolls here it seems. But such is life.))

The wizard and his guardswoman continue to search the small kitchen for any clues to the occupants whereabouts and wait for the drow to join them.
Jun 22, 2015 4:08 pm
ooc sorry! I thought I was a) holding the fence open and standing guard b) too big to come through.

Uhlskah looks in surprise as Kirrian and his entourage enter, and then, with a glance to the street around, picks the best moment to slip inside and see what he can see.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+10)

(16) + 10 = 26

Perception - (1d20+0)

(12) = 12

Jun 22, 2015 6:18 pm
(I kinda expected you to break in)
Well if you get on your back and push your pack through first you can squeeze in. It will take a minute or two (Not something you want to do in battle)
As Kilth is halfway through he hears a metal on metal grating sound. It comes from the right, beyond the bedrooms. Where the unknown person disappeared as Kirrian's minions entered.
Jun 22, 2015 11:22 pm
Asterion bows formally to the Rynekels. "My Lord. My Lady. As you know I have taken charge of the investigation. This was an attack. I do not wish to alarm you but we cannot discount the possibility that your son was the target. We must take precautions until we know more. The priestess Lady Gavrantha assured me the affliction is not contagious, and the boils will heal with proper treatment. Your son is expected to awake later tonight. It is best not to move him until then. He is in good hands here. I have instructed the city watch to maintain a perimeter around this temple. My associates are pursuing leads. I expect to hear from them shortly so I may personally pursue the matter further. You have my word, we will bring whoever did this to justice."
Jun 23, 2015 4:26 pm
Kirrian and his people begin a quiet systematic search of the small house.
Jun 23, 2015 4:51 pm
Uhlskah finds the crawling under the fence very undignified. What would any of his audience say if they saw him like this? There must be another way to investigate this noise to the right. He wiggles back out of the boards and goes round to the glassmaker's shop. Playing the part of a genuine client of such an establishment, he breezes in with a bright smile.

Rolls

Bluff - (1d20+9)

(9) + 9 = 18

Jun 24, 2015 12:33 am
The Lady rushes over and kneels at her son's bedside. She speaks softly to him.
Istraud speaks to Asterion "Let me know if there is anything I can do. And keep me informed." He is finding it difficult not ask you a hundred questions and take the job on himself. He then speaks with his eyes lowered, unsure, almost as if to himself, "I guess I'm supposed to trust Equitas to complete its responsibilities. It would be hypocrisy for me to change policy only when my own blood is involved." He looks back up at Asterion "Farewell." He turns and leaves, taking two of his guards with him.
Jun 24, 2015 11:03 pm
"Greetings," The shopkeeper welcomes Uhlskah. "Can I interest you in a vase to go with some of the flowers down the street? Or a wild-horse on the Moore?" He holds up the glass trinkets in turn. He wears an apron like that of a blacksmith. There are many other glass objects on display. There is a closed door behind him.
Jun 25, 2015 4:20 am
Asterion finds the brevity of Istraud Rynekel's response curious. Then again, that man was never one to show much emotion. Asterion moves to intercept the man at the door before he can leave. "My Lord. If I could trouble you for another moment. Is there any reason, besides your family's position on the Ruling Council, that anyone might wish to cause harm to your son?"

Earlier, Asterion has witnessed Ravastine to be quite adept diplomacy as well. Perhaps she can extract information while at the same time offering comfort. He signals discreetly to her to go to Lady Vestra.
Last edited June 25, 2015 7:22 am

Rolls

Diplomacy - (1d20+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

Jun 25, 2015 7:34 am
Uhlskah takes a moment or two to admire the trinkets being offered and on display before saying in a businesslike manner:

"Very fine, very fine. My parents said you were a master craftsman. You have heard of my parents I suppose? Kilth is the name.

Uhlskah waits a moment for his words to sink in and to get a gleam of recognition from the shopkeeper before continuing in a more delicate tone,

"The thing is, that my parents have a special client who wants something made up of glass and gemstones. They sent me to you to see if your work really matches the reputation you have. I can see from the finished products that their faith is not misplaced, but to get a fuller idea of the quality of your workmanship, I really need to see your workshop. It's this way, I presume..."

Uhlskah already has his hand on the doorhandle to the back room and is opening the door, not waiting for the shopkeeper's reply, trusting that his flattery will make him compliant.
Last edited June 25, 2015 7:36 am

Rolls

Bluff - (1d20+9)

(4) + 9 = 13

Jun 25, 2015 1:21 pm
Ravastine overhears Asterion's conversation and catching his eye, approaches the stricken boy. She takes a cloth from a herb-infused basin nearby and wrings out most of the warm water. Gently, she kneels above his head and gently cleans the sweat from his face the way she has seen Lady Gavrantha do, and attempts to emote the same compassion.

After that she has done that, she says "Lady Vestra, you have no doubt seen a much different side to the city than I. You seem a wise and cunning woman. What would be to gain from attacking your child? Help us identify the culprit, who may be someone who would want to see your family harmed, and I'll track the miscreant down." She grits her teeth and looks at the boy and the other victims. "Before they attack again."

She pleads the mother to help with the wide soulful eyes she practiced while begging on the street, yet watches to understand her response.

Rolls

Diplomacy - (1d20+5)

(12) + 5 = 17

Insight - (1d20+8)

(2) + 8 = 10

Jun 28, 2015 11:45 pm
Uhlskah:
The shopkeeper stands up, tries to get a handle on the conversation but the door has already been opened. He gasps. Inside the room is a furnace, a large horizontal cylinder, that has one end radiating with orange heat behind a shut trap. A girl is on top and having slid the top cover off is crouched on the precipice and bathed in fiery light.
Tears are evaporating off her reddened face, "The heat is the only thing that will incinerate the disease."
Jun 29, 2015 3:40 pm
In horror Uhlskah pushes his hand out towards the girl, hurriedly composing the gnomic verse, delivered in heavy metal rhythm:

"Flee the flames,
Live your life!"

He is squeamish about catching the girl. "Is she infectious?", he wonders. But hopes falling to the rough floor will be better than pitching into the furnace.

Using Majestic Word encounter power with Improved majestic word feat to slide her off the furnace plus any healing the power + feat offer. Healing surge up to 4HP plus 4 temp HP for feat - could be useful when falling to the ground!
Last edited June 30, 2015 4:12 am
Jun 30, 2015 3:33 am
(You do not know if she is infectious)
She squeaks in surprise as she is jarred and falls to the floor. She lands with her head near to the ground. As she sobs in defeat she does not right herself into a self respecting position. She stays laying on the floor. "Mother went through 9 hells for Valerie, and I killed her. She'll never have back." She lifts her head to look at you. "I don't want to hurt people."
Jun 30, 2015 3:36 am
Kirrian, outside of what is expected to be in a house, you find a paper with a scribbled record of payment needed (an unofficial invoice), letters addressed to Kathrine and signed- Al.
There is a bed pushed against the wall and underneath the hanging covers you find a hole in the wall, just as you hear Uhlskah sing/yell from the other side. And hear the sound of a body hitting the floor.
Jun 30, 2015 5:37 pm
Kirrian shoves the papers into his pocket and squeezes through the hole in the wall. He gives a sharp whistle that tells his guardswoman and familiar to follow. When he enters the room he quickly stands, ready to face danger, but after taking moment to look around the room he gives Kilth a puzzled look, "Wha'are ya doin' lad? Observe and report, OB-SER-VE and RE-POR-T!"
He takes the cloak off his shoulders and places it on the crying girl, then he and Grindylow help her into a nearby chair.
"Now what is going on?
Jun 30, 2015 5:38 pm
Lord Istraud, annoyed that Asterion stopped him says, "No one would dare." And pauses, says one last thing "And it if they did it would be their mistake" before striding away.

Lady Vestra "I appreciate your desire to seek justice. If my son were to be lost, it would not change anything on a political scale unless they also took out my husband." Her long velvet sleeves drape over Keelem as she brushes the hair from his eyes. "I would mourn deeply and the war of wills would continue. Only someone who doesn't want order would want our family harmed. I'm sorry I can't help more..."
Jun 30, 2015 6:02 pm
It is clear from Uhlskah's annoyed expression that he has registered Kirrian's words, but first of all he keeps his attention on the girl,

"Don't worry, little lady, we're not going to hurt you, and we'll make sure you don't hurt anyone else. We're here to help."

Once he is sure the girl is calm, he moves to the other side of the room with Kirrian, and whispers irritably at him, keeping his eye on the would be suicide.

"What I observed was our key witness escaping here, and about to pitch herself into this furnace. I thought a live witness would be a better report than a charred corpse, Sir Gnome."
Last edited June 30, 2015 6:24 pm

Rolls

Diplomacy to calm the girl (+1 skill versatility) - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Jun 30, 2015 6:17 pm
Asterion bows towards Lord Istraud's departing back. He glances in Ravastine & Lady Vestra's direction but decides not to join them for now so he can reorder his thoughts. Keleem Rynekel may or may not have been the target of the attack. Nothing helpful nor suspicious from the parents. There is a possible witness or suspect which Kirrian and the drow Uhlskah are tracking down. Where the hell is that guard Vardos? He should have reported back here by now! And when the devil is Keleem going to wake up? Asterion takes a deep breath to control his impatience. He longs to be out there doing what he does best instead of being cooped up here babysitting this dandy.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.