Ch. 1

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Jun 9, 2015 6:14 am
If Uhlskah is phased by the gravity of Asterion's words, it does not show on his face. He leans in towards Asterion and says sotto voce, "Well, if it's subtlety you want, I'm your man. I'm acting up for the crowds, but I'm also a dab hand at subterfuge. My interest in this matter is at present purely professional," he points at the black-laquered lute strung to his back, "and as to your suspicions about me...," he throws his silver hair back over his shoulders and laughs, "...it would be delightful if I were implicated in a magical murder - just imagine what it would do for my publicity - but today I was drawn here by the crowds after the event. As for my name, I'm a little peeved you haven't heard of me. Uhlskah, Ulskah Kilth at your service. And talking of service, I think you'd better send me after that fellow rather than your bumbling, clanking guards."

Uhlskah smiles brightly at Asterion, one eyebrow raised in query.
Jun 9, 2015 1:29 pm
"I am no guard, sir, though I may be clanking. I'm Ravastine Droverson, of the Temple of Erathis. As this deed fell on my doorstep, and is it is something that I would normally seek answer to, I'm doubly involved. " She brushes imaginary dust off of her polished, plate armor. She smiles at Uhlskah and shifts so that her flail clanks against her greave.

Her eyes scan the crowd and seeing worry, she says "excuse me, I need to allay the crowd's worries. Confused crowds may become mad mobs. Give me a few minutes and then I will accompany you in facing this threat." She enters the crowd and begins to speak to the city folk, telling them that it was a magical attack, and they are in no further danger, everything is being done to heal the victims. She is not kindly in these ministrations, but she is not aloof either, and merely speaks to them as she would to a neighbour. She is however, looking for guilt or anger, as well.
Last edited June 9, 2015 1:29 pm

Rolls

Diplomacy - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Insight - (1d20+8)

(12) + 8 = 20

Jun 9, 2015 7:40 pm
Asterion watches the young paladin admiringly. "Young! He chides himself. She's probably thrice my age!"

He then turns to Kirrian. "Master Shadowpool, if you concur, I am of the opinion that our subtle drow friend here and our half-elf paladin friend over there would be of great help in our investigation. I would very much like to join our city guard friend at the Norbin residence to see what there is to learn there. I fear we should not delay too long to pursue that lead. However, I am still needed here as I expect the Lord & Lady Rynekel will be arriving any moment. Would you and Uhlskah be so kind as to assess the situation at the Norbins and send Tyrol the guard back here? Ravastine and I will join you as soon as we possibly can."

He turns to Uhlskah and adds, sternly, "Reconnaissance only, understand? DO NOT make your presence known. We will decide what course of action to take after we've regrouped."
Last edited June 9, 2015 8:57 pm
Jun 9, 2015 11:05 pm
Ravastine, amongst the now thinned crowd you don't see guilt or anger or any with a sense of connection to the tragedy before them.
The Guard who just departed will not be too hard to spot. They are not trained for stealth. Though If the man he follows is an untrained commoner and not overly paranoid, he will not be spotted by the target.
Jun 10, 2015 1:35 pm
"Hummph...sure. Observe and report. We can handle that I imagine."
Jun 11, 2015 1:39 am
"I have no doubt, Master Shadowpool," Asterion replies gravely. Truly, he is anxious to be away from here to investigate the Norbin lead himself. Sadly, however, an Ironwrought Kubi is equal parts detective and diplomat. Should he be absent when the young Rynekel awakes or his parents arrive it would be a serious breach of protocol. It irks Asterion, but his place is here for now. He watches Kirrian and Uhlskah go before approaching Ravastine.

"You do good work here. I wonder though if you would care to join us when the investigation leads elsewhere in the city? I could speak to your superiors if you like."
Jun 11, 2015 1:21 pm
"I would be pleased to accompany you," Ravastine replies, ignoring the complement. "There is no need to speak with my superiors, I am expected to seek out threats to the city on my own and confront them." She pauses and scans the crowd once more. "I feel no malice from this lot. Answers lie elsewhere."
Last edited June 11, 2015 1:22 pm
Jun 11, 2015 4:53 pm
"Shall we, sir gnome?" Uhlskah says, turning already and moving in the direction the guard went. He moves nimbly and cleverly between people and buildings, aiming to go unnoticed by guard and quarry.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+10)

(9) + 10 = 19

Jun 12, 2015 4:14 am
Kirrian nods his assent and throws up his dark hood. His fairy familiar alightts on his shoulder and vanishes inside the hood as well, the little creatures glow winks out and Kirrian's face disappears into the shadows of his cloak. He let's the draw lead the way and falls back a few steps. When the bard gets about 15 feet in front of Kirrian, a gnomish woman in leather and chain armour falls instep behind Kirrian. She seems unconcerned with what is going on around her, but her eyes dart quickly taking in every potential danger and assessing and dismissing them. Her hand rests on a small sword, but you get the impression she can make fair use of it if need be. She does not speak, but you know she is guarding Kirrian from danger. It seems the gnomes plan is to rely on the large folk's habit of ignoring them rather than actually hiding.

Rolls

stealth also - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Jun 15, 2015 4:04 pm
You slip through the busy streets in pursuit of your target. After a while he stops and knocks on the wooden box that constitutes a home in this district. No one answers. He knocks with greater urgency, then pulls on the simple lock chained to the door, but it is clasped shut. He shakes himself of a foreboding feeling to convince himself nothing is wrong, he should just go back to work, and he'll see them in the evening.
Jun 16, 2015 4:14 pm
Uhlskah raises an eyebrow at Kirrian, and silently mouths, "Reconnaissance only?!" He then tries to find a way to the other side of the tiny dwelling - unnoticed by the would-be visitor - to see if there is any other entrance or at least a window to peer through.
Last edited June 16, 2015 4:15 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+10)

(16) + 10 = 26

Jun 16, 2015 9:55 pm
These houses back onto another set of buildings of another street. The Norbin house backs onto a glass maker's shop. There is a loose board in the ally you think you could bend to get enough room for the Gnome squeeze into the Norbin house.
(I'm trying to post a picture to make this clear)
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/shadowfirechronicles
Jun 18, 2015 7:19 pm
Uhlskah tries to pry open the board, as silently as possible, but enough for the gnome to get through.

Rolls

Athletics (for prying) - (1d20+0)

(11) = 11

Stealth (for doing it quietly) - (1d20+10)

(8) + 10 = 18

Jun 19, 2015 6:38 pm
You succeed. I'm just waiting for Kirrian to confirm he is going to go inside... ?
Jun 20, 2015 12:03 am
((Sorry...))

Kirrian looks up and down the street once more and moves to the cross side. A small light drops out of his sleeve and quickly winks out leaving just a small fairy standing beneath the two men. Then the gnomish woman in armor approaches and Kirrian gives a nod. The faith and the woman duck through the hole. Kirrian looks up at Uhlskah with a "What? Its their job." look on his face.

(((Using my minions to scout. I am fairly certain neither has stealth so they default to my skill bonus. The stealth roll is for them. They will come back and get me if the room is clear, or I will know there's a problem if they don't.))
Last edited June 20, 2015 12:05 am

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Jun 20, 2015 12:23 am
Kirrian's minions report seeing a human's feet crawling into the adjoining building. It it is also very hot towards that side of the building. They do not detect anyone now inside the house.
Jun 21, 2015 6:44 pm
(Umm, the lock was originally on a small chain and required and key. Not the kind that automatically opens from the inside)
While you are inside, Kirrian, can you give me a perception check?
Jun 21, 2015 9:56 pm
((Oops...I forgot that detail. Deleted the post with bad info. Will fix here and make perception roll.))

"There's somt'n goin on 'nside. Can ye slip through here or get ou'front and...open the lock? I'm going in to see for myself."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Jun 22, 2015 12:50 am
Lady Vestra Rynekel and Lord Istraud Rynekel arrive with several personal guards. The Lady's cloak is a dark purple, velvet and embroidered with gold string. The cost of it could feed a poor family for a year, but she is stunning in it. She rushes to find her son in a semi-controlled state of hysteria. The Lord immediately recognizes Asterion as the highest ranking official on site and approaches him, shoulders back and head held high with the confidence of someone on the ruling council.
"Kubi Asterion of the Ironwrought. What do you have for me?"
Jun 22, 2015 1:15 am
Kirran, You are in a simple kitchen. The front door is to the left, three rooms are to the right. You don't hear or see anything/anyone.
(Congratulations on the first 1 :P )
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.