Rules Arbitration

load previous
Jul 15, 2015 6:39 pm
Actually in reading the Disarm rules, it gets to be opposed.

You still succeed.

Rolls

Hobgoblin captain Athletics check - (1d20+2)

(9) + 2 = 11

Jul 15, 2015 6:47 pm
Oh cool! I've never read the DMG so I checked out the pages you referenced just now. So Cassandra pulls it off, woot!

Here's Feng's save vs massive damage then. Aaand that's a fail :-(
Last edited July 15, 2015 6:48 pm

Rolls

Save vs massive damage DC 15 - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Jul 15, 2015 7:05 pm
At first, I was like "Feng, that came from two attacks, so you are actually ok." But then I saw that the Martial advantage made the one attack a whooping 20 damage so yeah, Massive Damage. Go ahead and roll a d10. Don't get a one.
Jul 15, 2015 7:24 pm
Here goes.

Rolls

System shock - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Jul 15, 2015 7:28 pm
You are unable to take reactions. Usually I say the attacker winded you when you cant take reactions.
Jul 16, 2015 12:50 am
I missed the discussion about disarm, but I'm obviously pleased with the decision :-) I'll check out the DMG combat options you mention. Generally I'm a fan of "anything can be attempted", which is pretty much canon in 5e, though subject to DM approval.

I've also read the massive damage rule and find it flavourful and (scary) fun.
Jul 16, 2015 6:48 pm
Sorry, exactly how many hp did Urki heal Fēng for? And did Fēng expend any ki on his last turn? Thanks!
Jul 16, 2015 8:00 pm
1. He missed twice (no stuns) (0), dodged against remaing hobgoblin (1).
Jul 16, 2015 8:27 pm
I healed Feng for 18 points.
Jul 17, 2015 3:46 am
themightykobold says:
1. He missed twice (no stuns) (0), dodged against remaing hobgoblin (1).
mikelzap says:
I healed Feng for 18 points.
Thanks!
Jul 19, 2015 5:15 pm
So this hobgoblin claims he can't speak Common. I suddenly realized that I never assigned Fēng's languages. Race gives him Aarakocra, Common, and Auran, then Outlander background gives him "one of your choice" I don't think their tribe would have much to do with goblinoids so I'm not picking that. Anybody in the party speak goblin?
Last edited July 19, 2015 5:17 pm
Jul 19, 2015 6:20 pm
No, nobody does that I know of. It was one of the ways to diffuse the earlier Goblin encounter as well. It would be useful in a place populated by gobs and hobgobs.
Jul 19, 2015 8:07 pm
Also, since you aren't picking Goblin, you should pick something explicit for that language.
Jul 20, 2015 1:36 am
Not me. Kildrak lived deep in the mines, so common and Dwarven were all he was taught.
Jul 20, 2015 3:54 pm
Damn, I wish I hadn't won that opposed roll LOL! The damn prisoner is going to be a liability! But I had to play my character, y'know?
Jul 20, 2015 4:12 pm
I think it's great drama. Also continues the "Who is the leader of this party?" thing, which is a very important question to Cassandra.

Though playing her flaw as just obeying orders which any other characters say, or interpreting things as orders which really aren't is also fun!

Yay for (mild) PvP!
Jul 21, 2015 2:59 am
Hopefully the Hobgoblin is dead. Ai Shan is pretty ruthless, and the symbol on the odachi has made him pretty much without care. He will not be affording pity or mercy to any enemies going forward, though he is CN, he has a code.
Last edited July 21, 2015 3:00 am
Jul 21, 2015 3:59 am
I'm cool with that. It may cause consternation in the party so I would be prepared to explain yourself in character.
Jul 24, 2015 5:57 pm
So my question right now is: Do you all want to travel presently or wait until nightfall? In either case, there will be a skill challenge. I am still considering how to run an efficient skill challenge in PbP with all party members getting an opportunity to get involved without using the same skills.
Jul 24, 2015 8:27 pm
Fēng still thinks the quickest way to the top is to fly up there. Of course he thinks this it's what he's trained to do. It's a risky proposition in daylight though, as any one of those mangonels can knock him and his passenger right out of the sky. Flying up under cover of darkness would pretty eliminate that threat. But Kildrak made a very good argument against waiting for nightfall. The longer the party waits, the higher the chance of the alarm being raised. What if the next captain manages to sound the alarm before the party can take him down? What if the captain we killed was supposed to make an end-of-watch report and he actually does raise the alarm by being dead? If the alarm goes up we want to be as near the top as possible, not down here. We need to move, and move now. If we run into a fight we need to hit fast and hard and keep moving. Cassandra can boost party stealth and give us a good chance to make it to the top undetected. That's my/Fēng's vote :-)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.