Rules Arbitration

load previous
Jun 26, 2015 7:08 pm
Damn, I missed that bonus action rule completely. :) Let's keep the attack roll and go with a dagger attack.

Rolls

dagger damage - (1d4+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Jun 27, 2015 6:59 am
Looks like I made some mistakes with crits and damage. Only Lizardfolk 1 actually crit it seems . . . weird since I remember seeing 20s. I'll figure it out in the morning.
Jun 28, 2015 3:48 am
For everyone:

Back in previous editions, characters had an opportunity to take something known as a five foot step as part of their move action so that the could disengage from the enemy with out incurring an Attack of Opportunity. Now, there is an action called Disengage that allows you to move up to your speed without provoking Attacks of Opportunity. However, the lack of a Disengage action does not completely limit your mobility because once you enter a creature's threathened range, as long as you don't leave that range, you don't provoke Attacks of Opportunity meaning you can run rings around an opponent to better position yourself without provoking your enemy's reaction. Just watch out for overlapping threathened ranges from multiple creatures and moving in and out of those.

In regards to the use of Inspiration: I haven't awarded any Inspiration up to this point. Inspiration is a mechanic the DM uses to reward good roleplaying. More information on how it can be used can be found in the PHB pg 125. Caveat here is I am pretty bad at remembering to grant it. You all are doing a pretty good job at playing close to your character traits. Because of that, I will say that everyone has had a point of Inspiration and will recover up to one point (never having more than a total of one point) of Inspiration after a long rest. In the case of exceptional roleplay, and the player is not presently inspired, the DM may award additional Inspiration.

Kildrak's turn will remain as written but in the future, there are no more five foot steps. Kildrak has used his daily Inspiration, all others have a single Inspiration remaining from the previous day. The long rest has been interrupted so you will still have an opportunity to earn one after you finish your rest.
Jun 28, 2015 4:06 am
Sorry I missed the initiative ruling here. Totally makes sense for PbP. Do we want to introduce a group initiative roll for when neither side is surprised? That could potentially salvage the usefulness of some initiative-enhancing feats.
Jun 28, 2015 8:58 am
Whoops, sorry...I could have sworn the rules were there. Must have been a play test version that had the 5-foot step and Start with Inspiration.
Jun 28, 2015 1:40 pm
Sorry for the mess on the game thread, guys! I don't know what's happening. I've reported it to Keleth. http://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/711/?p=13076#p13076

TMK, I wonder if this was the same issue you came up against when you tried posting a wall of rolls?
Jun 28, 2015 2:37 pm
Yeah, maybe. I just blamed it on me misreading late at night but when I first saw that the numbers weren't what I remembered, my brain did a somersault. They could have changed when I added in the crit rolls but I can't be sure. I'll try to keep a more watchful eye.
Jun 28, 2015 3:49 pm
Just testing my die rolling theory.

Yup - my theory is confirmed. The dice parser hates spaces. I typed exactly the same in both boxes each time. I'll add it to your bug report @Jabes

Note that only the spaceless entries worked properly. The d30 thing is just bizarre, though! :-)
Last edited June 28, 2015 3:54 pm

Rolls

d20+2 - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

d20 + 2 - (1d20)

(3) = 3

d20 +2 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

d20+ 2 - (1d30)

(26) = 26

d8+4 - (1d8+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

d8 + 4 - (1d8)

(8) = 8

d8 +4 - (1d8)

(7) = 7

d8+ 4 - (1d8)

(2) = 2

Jun 28, 2015 4:01 pm
Is it OK to do what I just did and re-roll an attack with inspiration but keep the damage (which anyway was rolled together with the first attack), or should I re-roll the damage also? I'll do it now anyway to keep things moving, but would be good to know for future which damage 'counts'.
Jun 28, 2015 4:53 pm
harlandski says:
Just testing my die rolling theory.

Yup - my theory is confirmed. The dice parser hates spaces. I typed exactly the same in both boxes each time. I'll add it to your bug report @Jabes

Note that only the spaceless entries worked properly. The d30 thing is just bizarre, though! :-)
I don't remember putting in any spaces in between values but there might have been spaces at the ends because I was doing cut and paste.

Keleth's reply also made me wonder if it might have something to do with hitting the Add Roll button multiple times before putting any data in. That's never caused problems for me before but then again I've never tried to attach 16 rolls to a single post before either.

So here's a test:

Rolls

Talon strike 1 - 1st attack roll (advantage) - (1d20+7)

(12) + 7 = 19

Talon strike 1 - 2nd attack roll (advantage) - (1d20+7)

(18) + 7 = 25

Talon strike 1 damage - (1d6+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Talon strike 1 crit damage - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Talon strike 2 - 1st attack roll (advantage) - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

Talon strike 2 - 2nd attack roll (advantage) - (1d20+7)

(19) + 7 = 26

Talon strike 2 damage - (1d6+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Talon strike 2 crit damage - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Talon strike 3 - 1st attack roll (advantage) - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

Talon strike 3 - 2nd attack roll (advantage) - (1d20+7)

(19) + 7 = 26

Talon strike 3 damage - (1d6+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Talon strike 3 crit damage - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Talon strike 4 - 1st attack roll (advantage) - (1d20+7)

(18) + 7 = 25

Talon strike 4 - 2nd attack roll (advantage) - (1d20+7)

(14) + 7 = 21

Talon strike 4 damage - (1d6+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Talon strike 4 crit damage - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Jun 28, 2015 5:26 pm
Well, the post finally worked. Either Keleth fixed something or it was harlandski's spaces theory or it was the data input before clicking Add roll again technique, or even the fact that I only put 12 rolls in instead of 16. Cleaning up the thread now.
Jun 29, 2015 1:58 am
harlandski says:
Spending inspiration to reroll that attack - (1d20+7)
( 15 ) + 7 = 22
themightykobold says:
Cassandra attacks Lizardfolk 4. The melee attack misses.
I don't understand - why did I miss after using inspiration to reroll?

Edit: I went back to the PHB and realized inspiration gives advantage, not a reroll. Been playing too much Savage Worlds and Fate it seems! :-)
Last edited June 29, 2015 2:11 am
Jul 1, 2015 6:36 pm
Foolsmask - you used three Vampiric Touches but you only have 2 spell slots. If you want to keep the attack roll we can change it to Eldritch Blast and roll new damage.
Jul 1, 2015 8:07 pm
It is a concentration spell that lasts for one minute. I can use it for up to that length. It says so in the last sentence of the spell. It is a more potent than previous editions in that it isn't a one time use spell. Pg 285 for reference
Last edited July 1, 2015 8:28 pm
Jul 2, 2015 12:22 am
Fair enough. I kept looking for something like, "If it misses you can keep using it." The fact that it's concentration would have tipped me off but I thought it was just a melee spell attack so therefore an action. My bad and I'll be more thorough for future rulings.
Jul 2, 2015 12:27 am
I agree it seems OP at first, but comparing it to other spells it balances. Magic is just a lot different in 5th Ed. And I did have to double check and make sure I didn't miss something when you posted. What you said kind of made sense but I was sure I was using it right.
Jul 3, 2015 6:27 am
Is Jabes gone?
Jul 3, 2015 7:25 am
I'm still around :-) Just a busy day and these are work hours for me (It's 3:25pm here right now).
Jul 3, 2015 9:28 am
Ah I see West Aus? It's 3:25am for me. Headed to bed soon. I work evening shift so I'm up at odd hours.
Jul 3, 2015 10:17 am
Manila :-) It's GMT+8. But I also keep crazy hours :-D
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.