General discussion

load previous
Aug 5, 2015 4:33 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
1. Can one occupy the same space as a bat swarm or move through it?

2. And I've forgotten the 5e rules for moving through friendly space.

3. Can Grizel and Alastor share space without her mounting?
1. yes, any creature can enter it's space and vice versa but it costs double movement to move through

2. you can move through an ally's space but not end your movement there (in both cases it's difficult terrain so takes double movement to move through it)

3. I rule that you can 'share' space with another creature if you really want to but both parties use the rules for squeezing (disadvantage on DEX saves, attacks rolls, advantage when being attacked). Normally you can't enter another creature's space is it needs that room to fight effectively

The rules aren't really that clear on it (if you're reading this, Crawford and Mearls, you suck at writing clear rulings!). Does moving straight through a medium creature cost an extra 5ft or 10ft? Large creature 10ft or 15ft? I'm not sure but I'd guess the latter number each time as you have to move into and out of the space. But moving into bats would cost 10ft, and moving into more bats from those bats would cost another 10ft or 20ft on a second diagonal
Aug 5, 2015 4:38 pm
Thanks for the clarifications, Biscuitfiend! Sorry, I edited my post while you were answering, so you didn't catch my 4th question.
Jabesplays.RPG says:
4. You said before that you would implement flanking rules. How does flanking work in 5e?

Maybe I should have waited for the answers to the above before I posted Grizel's action because they do have bearing.
Last edited August 5, 2015 4:38 pm
Aug 5, 2015 8:09 pm
If you are on opposite sides of a foe, you get advantage on the attack roll
Aug 8, 2015 8:50 pm
Could we get an update on the battle map by chance?
Aug 9, 2015 12:06 am
I have no idea what's going on. We were attacking and then he just waltz right in? Faelor will stand there bemused for now.
Aug 9, 2015 2:23 am
unique_exemplar says:
I have no idea what's going on. We were attacking and then he just waltz right in? Faelor will stand there bemused for now.
I thought it would be obvious from both the rolls (see Grizel's low Wis save) and the roleplay (her abrupt and inexplicable change in demeanor) that she's been CHARMED. If it's not obvious then I didn't roleplay effectively. I've edited my post so the narration pretty much spells it out. If we're separating player knowledge from character knowledge and we're saying the adventurers are unfamiliar with Charm Person then maybe the spellcasters can get a 5e equivalent of a spellcraft check or something? If the party has adventured together before then they do know Grizel hates tyranny, and she has also said it several times already this adventure but even if they knew absolutely nothing about her I imagine the spellcasters would be able to sense when magical compulsion is at work.
Last edited August 9, 2015 5:27 am
Aug 9, 2015 7:24 am
Image uploads not working, will try again later! The only things that have moved are bats (lower swarm down onto sindar) and strahd (where bats moved from)
Aug 9, 2015 2:36 pm
If that's the case, and since Katerina hasn't actually acted yet in the initiative order, can I change my attacks? Or at least at whom they are directed?
Aug 9, 2015 8:26 pm
Yes, you can change any time! Pre-posting is just for convenience
Aug 10, 2015 11:04 am
(Be mindful that I normally update the IN order on an older post, as long as it is on the current page, and will re-post at the start of every turn or if a new page is created. Katerina - it's your turn)
Aug 10, 2015 1:53 pm
Sorry I went back and edited my older post. I am simply switching targets. I can reroll attacks if you would like.
Last edited August 10, 2015 1:54 pm
Aug 10, 2015 3:06 pm
I forgot to check your post. Oops. No need to re-roll, Strahd deserves to be hit for once!
Aug 10, 2015 3:48 pm
So, I thought Charm Person was concentration. I was soooooo wrong. Anyway, does someone have dispel magic of any sort so that our paladin can rejoin us? That or maybe we push her into a wolf?
Aug 10, 2015 3:56 pm
An eventful combat so far. Up to Faelor's turn.

I think Grizel is happy with being charmed. Perhaps she would prefer to be left alone?
Aug 10, 2015 5:55 pm
Quote:
I think Grizel is happy with being charmed. Perhaps she would prefer to be left alone?
I say we trust the DM on this one . . . wait a minute what am I saying?
Aug 10, 2015 8:09 pm
Trust me, you DO NOT want initiative to cycle back to Grizel while she's charmed now that you've attacked her friend! ;-)
Aug 11, 2015 4:35 am
Lysander does have Dispel Magic prepared. Would there need to be some kind of knowledge check to identify the charm affect Strahd has put on Grizel? Arcana or religion maybe?You said the powers of a vampire are more or less unknown to us as a whole, so he sees she is acting wiered, but The why and would he know thAt Dispel Magic might have a chance?
Aug 12, 2015 10:24 am
None of this information is available to you. But magic is magic - give it a try. The only question that dispel magic asks is the level of the opposing spell
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.